or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion › October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....) - Page 218

post #6511 of 9776
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeman View Post

I am not making a list in advance. I do have a stack of about 12-14 horror movie dvds that have come in and i will probably watch most of them first, but i want to just wing it and watch what i feel like on any given day. I want to watch a lot of old favorites too, and pick them on the day i feel like.

I also will be away for 3 days and that might hurt my quest to make 31 movies for the month, but hey, gotta celebrate our 20th anniversary in style!!

Indeed.

Any weekday viewing for me will result in split movies. Start before work and finish at lunch. We "left the pacifier in Florida" so the bedtime is in flux and later than it was. We shall see. At any rate it will be fun.

On another note, this guy:
https://twitter.com/horrorcritique
is a helluva bright spot for the old timeline. If you have a twitter account he's worth a follow.
Edited by darthrsg - 9/22/13 at 3:22pm
post #6512 of 9776
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeman View Post

I am not making a list in advance. I do have a stack of about 12-14 horror movie dvds that have come in and i will probably watch most of them first, but i want to just wing it and watch what i feel like on any given day. I want to watch a lot of old favorites too, and pick them on the day i feel like.

I also will be away for 3 days and that might hurt my quest to make 31 movies for the month, but hey, gotta celebrate our 20th anniversary in style!!
Congrats on 2 decades,I've got 15
post #6513 of 9776
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew24963 View Post

Congrats on 2 decades,I've got 15
I meant I've DONE 15 years.
post #6514 of 9776
Kinda off topic,but watched Where the Wild Things Are.If you have kids,great movie.
post #6515 of 9776
Killer Klowns From Outer Space is one of the best I've ever seen.....Should have won an Oscar.
post #6516 of 9776
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

With October I'll wind up near 331. smile.gif

Speaking of dementia, after October is done and nearly all of my viewing has been horror I usually go deep into comedy to balance out the dread.
It's odd but by the last week I'm excited for the main event and also somewhat burned out on "dread" and then when Halloween is over I'm bummed that it's over and find myself lost on what to watch. My wife usually launches into holiday mode with Planes, Trains, & Automobiles, Just Friends, Christmas Vacation, etc. All of which I love but the transition is about as seamless as leatherface's mask after watching 31 days of gore. I'll usually pepper in Die Hard, Gremlins, and other such "Christmas" movies. I have yet to see Rare Exports so I may throw that in for December if I don't watch it next month.
post #6517 of 9776
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

It's odd but by the last week I'm excited for the main event and also somewhat burned out on "dread" and then when Halloween is over I'm bummed that it's over and find myself lost on what to watch. My wife usually launches into holiday mode with Planes, Trains, & Automobiles, Just Friends, Christmas Vacation, etc. All of which I love but the transition is about as seamless as leatherface's mask after watching 31 days of gore. I'll usually pepper in Die Hard, Gremlins, and other such "Christmas" movies. I have yet to see Rare Exports so I may throw that in for December if I don't watch it next month.

This is exactly how it goes down for me too.
post #6518 of 9776
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Wiz, that's very funny.
.
BTW, how are things going with your "recovery?"

Going pretty good thanks! Still have a few issues going on but should know more this week. Much much much better than I was this summer. Thanks oink. smile.gif
post #6519 of 9776
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

I think I'm doing NOES and Phantasm marathons this year. I've never watched those back to back.

Those are great choices to watch! I think I might have to add the first NOES and the first phantasm .

Congrats Yankeeman on your 20 years! I have half that and she hasn't traded me in yet Lol!


I agree with the Christmas movies too! +1 to adding Die Hard to the Holiday lineup.
post #6520 of 9776
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob McLaughlin View Post

Eden Lake

I've been sitting on this disc for a couple years now. 2013 might be the year it finally happens. Reviews are pretty good!
post #6521 of 9776
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeman View Post

hey, gotta celebrate our 20th anniversary in style!!
Ahhh, I remember ours well.....great food, drink, and entertainment: hot buffalo wings and suds at Hooters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

I have yet to see Rare Exports so I may throw that in for December if I don't watch it next month.
Rare Exports is an excellent way to end the 31 days of Oct. AND begin the Christmas season......trust me here.
post #6522 of 9776
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeman View Post

I am not making a list in advance. I do have a stack of about 12-14 horror movie dvds that have come in and i will probably watch most of them first, but i want to just wing it and watch what i feel like on any given day. I want to watch a lot of old favorites too, and pick them on the day i feel like.

I also will be away for 3 days and that might hurt my quest to make 31 movies for the month, but hey, gotta celebrate our 20th anniversary in style!!

Nice! Congrats sir.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew24963 View Post

I meant I've DONE 15 years.

Lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotb9 View Post

Killer Klowns From Outer Space is one of the best I've ever seen.....Should have won an Oscar.

YES!
post #6523 of 9776
That's a solid list, Slippy, you're sure to have a great month of viewing!
post #6524 of 9776
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

Bob is the Splinter on your list this one?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1031280/

If so I liked it a lot. It fits right in with The Blob and Slither.

Yes, that's the one I plan on watching. I'm a big fan of both The Blob and Slither, so it sounds like ideal for me!
post #6525 of 9776
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Rare Exports is an excellent way to end the 31 days of Oct. AND begin the Christmas season......trust me here.

This man speaks the truth.
post #6526 of 9776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob McLaughlin View Post

Yes, that's the one I plan on watching. I'm a big fan of both The Blob and Slither, so it sounds like ideal for me!

Splinter is a good flick and I think you will enjoy it!
post #6527 of 9776
Never seen Rare Exports...sounds like a good Holiday horror flick!
post #6528 of 9776
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post

Never seen Rare Exports...sounds like a good Holiday horror flick!

It's very good. Makes a great triple feature with Dead Snow and Trollhunter.
post #6529 of 9776
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

It's very good. Makes a great triple feature with Dead Snow and Trollhunter.
Yup.
You can also throw in Cold Prey and Let the Right One In for the afternoon matinee.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0808276/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1139797/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
post #6530 of 9776
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

Despite what everybody said about WWZ I tried to remain hopeful. I did not succeed. There were actually parts of several probably good movies in there but not a solid single film.
What did you think of how they did the concept of zombieism in it? I found it a little unnerving as well as different.
post #6531 of 9776
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post

What did you think of how they did the concept of zombieism in it? I found it a little unnerving as well as different.
It was fine. I guess my beef is the mainstreamness of it all. There was no "coming to get you Barbara" or Tar Man. Even with lab sequence being the best it still wasn't as good as 28 Days Later.
post #6532 of 9776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob McLaughlin View Post

Yes, that's the one I plan on watching. I'm a big fan of both The Blob and Slither, so it sounds like ideal for me!

Hmmm...looks like fun. biggrin.gif
post #6533 of 9776
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

It was fine. I guess my beef is the mainstreamness of it all. There was no "coming to get you Barbara" or Tar Man. Even with lab sequence being the best it still wasn't as good as 28 Days Later.

Wow, you guys have me convinced not to waste my time with this one.
post #6534 of 9776
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone7 View Post

Wow, you guys have me convinced not to waste my time with this one.

Seems the folks who aren't zombie fans liked it.
post #6535 of 9776
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone7 View Post

Wow, you guys have me convinced not to waste my time with this one.
Don't listen to 'em and just watch the damn movie.biggrin.gif
post #6536 of 9776
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Don't listen to 'em and just watch the damn movie.biggrin.gif

I shouldn't sometimes give a review/critique because I wouldn't want to sway people from experiencing a movie that they could like.

Kinda ot from horror movies but I revisited a movie that I didn't fully like back then. The movie was A.I. and I used to think it was a bad attempt by Spielberg to do a Kubrick movie. Well after watching the movie, I totally like this film and understand the message it was conveying (a pretty intelligent message for the time). Plus I learned that Spielberg wrote the screenplay that Kubrick wanted. The only thing he added was the darker scenes like 'Flesh Fair' part, which is surprising to me, the rest is 100% Kubrick. I was also wrong (but figured it out) that the beings at the end of the movie weren't aliens but evolved mecha. So sometimes it is worth paying a movie a revisit to see if you would see it in a different light.
post #6537 of 9776
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

I really wanted a good big budget zombie movie.
Sigh, as did I. But there have been how many before this? After NOTLD, DOTD and a few efforts like 28 days and weeks, most Z flics are limited by extremely low budget/talent or don't have the right tone. Sure this was hollywoodized, and I prefer a shambling, creeping dread, but is better than most current Z flics I have seen lately - in a long time. Of course, I am good at compartmentalizing the really stupid parts of movies and focusing on the good parts. biggrin.gif

I will also take this over, pulling number out of my A$$ smile.gif, 95% of the crap that hollywood puts out as horror in the last 10 years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew24963 View Post

Maybe I was taken in by the LFE.tongue.gif

Holy crap, it was a KILLER audio presentation! smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post

Here is my tentative list so far

The Things (1982 one and the 2011)
Blade Trinity
Event Horizon
Alien
Piranha (1978)
The Shining
The Conjuring
The Blair Witch Project
The Descent
Deep Rising
Halloween (1978 and RZ one)
Halloween 3
Hostel 2
The Strangers
The Mist
28 Days Later
Shaun of the Dead
From Beyond
VHS2
The Reeds
The Entity

Some classics thrown in as I watch those most Halloweens. This will be challenging to watch 31 horror flicks but I'm up for it!



Yeah I wanted WWZ to be more but reading the book did not help because my expectations were up a bit for this movie. But I did like the LFE and the flow of zombies.

Nice list!

Yeah, the book was great, and this could have been better, but you enjoy it for what it is. Is nice to have a horror flic with good av as well.biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post

VHS 2 is available for rent at the kiosks this Tuesday. It will probably be my Tuesday evening watch. I don't do the 31 days in October but demented enough to do about 300 during the year.biggrin.gif
The kiosks will be a nice resource this month. Alot of horror titles in the ones I frequent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeman View Post

I am not making a list in advance. I do have a stack of about 12-14 horror movie dvds that have come in and i will probably watch most of them first, but i want to just wing it and watch what i feel like on any given day. I want to watch a lot of old favorites too, and pick them on the day i feel like.

I also will be away for 3 days and that might hurt my quest to make 31 movies for the month, but hey, gotta celebrate our 20th anniversary in style!!

Congrats! 21 years for me and my wife has already, approvingly, acknowledged my schedule for October. Is a keeper! biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew24963 View Post

Kinda off topic,but watched Where the Wild Things Are.If you have kids,great movie.

Have had the BD for years but never cracked it open. My youngest is 8 now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzack View Post

Going pretty good thanks! Still have a few issues going on but should know more this week. Much much much better than I was this summer. Thanks oink. smile.gif

GREAT TO HEAR!
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Rare Exports is an excellent way to end the 31 days of Oct. AND begin the Christmas season......trust me here.
You just like it for the male frontal nudity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post

What did you think of how they did the concept of zombieism in it? I found it a little unnerving as well as different.
Surprisingly, agreed. Still prefer shamblers though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

Seems the folks who aren't zombie fans liked it.
Seems the folks who are Zombie fans liked it. biggrin.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Don't listen to 'em and just watch the damn movie.biggrin.gif
There is no Holy Grail in movies - horror especially. Go in with low expectations and enjoy it for what it is.
post #6538 of 9776
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post

I shouldn't sometimes give a review/critique because I wouldn't want to sway people from experiencing a movie that they could like.

Kinda ot from horror movies but I revisited a movie that I didn't fully like back then. The movie was A.I. and I used to think it was a bad attempt by Spielberg to do a Kubrick movie. Well after watching the movie, I totally like this film and understand the message it was conveying (a pretty intelligent message for the time). Plus I learned that Spielberg wrote the screenplay that Kubrick wanted. The only thing he added was the darker scenes like 'Flesh Fair' part, which is surprising to me, the rest is 100% Kubrick. I was also wrong (but figured it out) that the beings at the end of the movie weren't aliens but evolved mecha. So sometimes it is worth paying a movie a revisit to see if you would see it in a different light.

I'm sure I will watch WWZ at some point but I'm just not excited to see it at all. Thanks for reminding me about A.I. however! Haven't seen that since it was released and would like to see it again as I don't really recall much about it.
post #6539 of 9776
I think the budget for WWZ might be part of the problem. The last 3rd is really good FWIW.
post #6540 of 9776
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone7 View Post

Wow, you guys have me convinced not to waste my time with this one.

I intend to watch it next month. While i do appreciate the reviews here and i really value the opinions here, we all have a little different taste, and if i get in my head that i want to see a movie, i am not gonna be talked out of it. I use the reviews here more to find movies i am unfamiliar with, all the guys here have been great for that!!!!

And thanks to all here who have wished me a happy 20th anniversary, we are gonna go to the Waldorf Boca Resort in Boca Raton Florida for a few days to celebrate, so thats why i will out of commission watching horror for a few days next month.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion › October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....)