or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion › October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....) - Page 219

post #6541 of 9768
Turistas on IFC tonight if anyone wants an October appetizer.
post #6542 of 9768
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post

The movie was A.I. and I used to think it was a bad attempt by Spielberg to do a Kubrick movie. Well after watching the movie, I totally like this film and understand the message it was conveying (a pretty intelligent message for the time). Plus I learned that Spielberg wrote the screenplay that Kubrick wanted. The only thing he added was the darker scenes like 'Flesh Fair' part, which is surprising to me, the rest is 100% Kubrick. I was also wrong (but figured it out) that the beings at the end of the movie weren't aliens but evolved mecha. So sometimes it is worth paying a movie a revisit to see if you would see it in a different light.
I don't understand why it caught flack, it's a fine movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post


You just like it for the male frontal nudity.
You promised you wouldn't bring this up.tongue.gif
post #6543 of 9768
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

Turistas on IFC tonight if anyone wants an October appetizer.

Great cast in this one and well done.
post #6544 of 9768
...A few words on Insidious 2 which I saw this weekend... Well well well... I won't spoil anything but, the first one was definitely better. Insidious 2 is not scary, it has a sense a been-there-done-that throughout, I don't know, maybe after The Conjuring James Wan got tired and he got sloppy for Insidious 2 tongue.gif ...It's not really a bad movie, just slightly better-than-average. Given Wan's track record, I expected more. One thing though, Patrick Wilson seems to be enjoying himself with all these horror flicks, he's very good and without him the whole thing would have fallen completely flat (and apart wink.gif ). I'd say wait before it hits Blu-ray...
post #6545 of 9768
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

I'm with you... this movie gets a lot of hate but I really enjoyed it as you did. I agree that the end dragged a bit but not too much. My biggest gripe was with the overcooked white trash persona that was just played too over the top to be sold IMO. The breakfast conversations were just ridiculous and we could clearly see dysfunctional family without having it spelled out for use and then beaten over the head with it.

Love this flick. The "development" into Michael Myers is the key. Agreed about the white trash stuff though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob McLaughlin View Post

I'm having trouble narrowing my list down to just 31 movies this year! I'm glad I saw a lot of the heavy hitters in theaters this year already, I like digging up different gems from years ago. Here are some of the movies in the mix for me, no official list just yet:

Some Guy Who Kills People
Uzumaki
Excision
Midnight Son
Lunacy
Juan of the Dead
The Woman in Black
Eden Lake
Taxidermia
Splinter
Sleep Tight
VHS 2
The Tunnel
Otis
Absentia
John Dies at the End
The Awakening
Antiviral
American Mary
The Pact
The Snowtown Murders
Hell
Horror
The Bay
Mum & Dad
The Hamiltons
Dead End Drive-In
S&Man
Chained
Blood and Black Lace
Cure

Solid list, man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post

Here is my tentative list so far

The Things (1982 one and the 2011)
Blade Trinity
Event Horizon
Alien
Piranha (1978)
The Shining
The Conjuring
The Blair Witch Project
The Descent
Deep Rising
Halloween (1978 and RZ one)
Halloween 3
Hostel 2
The Strangers
The Mist
28 Days Later
Shaun of the Dead
From Beyond
VHS2
The Reeds
The Entity

Some classics thrown in as I watch those most Halloweens. This will be challenging to watch 31 horror flicks but I'm up for it!
You're in for some good scares, my friend. Looks alot like a list I would make!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzack View Post

I've been sitting on this disc for a couple years now. 2013 might be the year it finally happens. Reviews are pretty good!

Eden Lake......pretty brutal movie if memory serves. You should enjoy it. I know I did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeman View Post

I intend to watch it next month. While i do appreciate the reviews here and i really value the opinions here, we all have a little different taste, and if i get in my head that i want to see a movie, i am not gonna be talked out of it. I use the reviews here more to find movies i am unfamiliar with, all the guys here have been great for that!!!!

And thanks to all here who have wished me a happy 20th anniversary, we are gonna go to the Waldorf Boca Resort in Boca Raton Florida for a few days to celebrate, so thats why i will out of commission watching horror for a few days next month.

Sounds like an awesome celebration. Congrats!! My wife bought WWZ, so I'm watching it regardless. Bad reviews aside, I'm going in with an open mind. Looking forward to the LFE.
post #6546 of 9768
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

Great cast in this one and well done.
Agreed... really underrated and I seldom see the usual suspects here mention it but I love it. The DVD is a gawdawful transfer and I hear the bluray is an improvement but not much. It's B locked but only about $7.00 or so and I may pick it up for next month.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

...A few words on Insidious 2 which I saw this weekend... Well well well... I won't spoil anything but, the first one was definitely better. Insidious 2 is not scary, it has a sense a been-there-done-that throughout, I don't know, maybe after The Conjuring James Wan got tired and he got sloppy for Insidious 2 tongue.gif ...It's not really a bad movie, just slightly better-than-average. Given Wan's track record, I expected more. One thing though, Patrick Wilson seems to be enjoying himself with all these horror flicks, he's very good and without him the whole thing would have fallen completely flat (and apart wink.gif ). I'd say wait before it hits Blu-ray...
Thanks for the warning! Given how little I liked the first one I may sit it out all together. I read something on FB about how Wan loved doing The Conjuring because it was the first film that he had the freedom to do it how he wanted. I can only assume that when the studio has too much input at some point the director says "eff it, you want more mainstream crap you got it".
post #6547 of 9768
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

I don't understand why it caught flack, it's a fine movie.

Just by what the movie made in the USA compared to the EU and also by what some big critics said about the film at the time. Also films like The Thing received harsh critics from people and it was released the same day as Bladerunner and during the same year of E.T. Fast forward to today and RT gives in a glowing review, along with all the horror fans out there that say now The Thing is a classic horror movie.
post #6548 of 9768
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeman View Post



And thanks to all here who have wished me a happy 20th anniversary, we are gonna go to the Waldorf Boca Resort in Boca Raton Florida for a few days to celebrate, so thats why i will out of commission watching horror for a few days next month.
Enjoy,it's a nice place to visit but I sure hate living here.
post #6549 of 9768
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloCreed View Post

Love this flick. The "development" into Michael Myers is the key. Agreed about the white trash stuff though.
Solid list, man.
You're in for some good scares, my friend. Looks alot like a list I would make!!
Eden Lake......pretty brutal movie if memory serves. You should enjoy it. I know I did.
Sounds like an awesome celebration. Congrats!! My wife bought WWZ, so I'm watching it regardless. Bad reviews aside, I'm going in with an open mind. Looking forward to the LFE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeman View Post



And thanks to all here who have wished me a happy 20th anniversary, we are gonna go to the Waldorf Boca Resort in Boca Raton Florida for a few days to celebrate, so thats why i will out of commission watching horror for a few days next month.
Staying at the Beach Club or the Resort? Both are beautiful, you and the wife will love it.
post #6550 of 9768
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeman View Post


And thanks to all here who have wished me a happy 20th anniversary, we are gonna go to the Waldorf Boca Resort in Boca Raton Florida for a few days to celebrate, so thats why i will out of commission watching horror for a few days next month.

well as it's never too late to celebrate, happy birthday yankeeman!!! 20?....but..but...he's just a kid! wink.gif
post #6551 of 9768
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew24963 View Post

Enjoy,it's a nice place to visit but I sure hate living here.

Do you really hate it there? I am in Weston, and while south Florida has a ton of negatives, its got positives too. I would rather live in New York though!!

We will be in the resort, perhaps the building by the yacht club, not positive, i would have to check the reservations. We havent stayed there before, so its new to us.

Morpheo - 20th ANNIVERSARY, not birthday, wow, i should be so young. I am more than 3 times that!!! But young at heart.
post #6552 of 9768
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeman View Post

Do you really hate it there? I am in Weston, and while south Florida has a ton of negatives, its got positives too. I would rather live in New York though!!

We will be in the resort, perhaps the building by the yacht club, not positive, i would have to check the reservations. We havent stayed there before, so its new to us.

Morpheo - 20th ANNIVERSARY, not birthday, wow, i should be so young. I am more than 3 times that!!! But young at heart.
It's not all bad, been here 30 years and would like to move on, wife has family and doesn't want to leave.It does have its positives, I'm an 8min bike ride to the beach and close to downtown .
post #6553 of 9768
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeman View Post


Morpheo - 20th ANNIVERSARY, not birthday, wow, i should be so young. I am more than 3 times that!!! But young at heart.

Even after knowing you a few years I still don't believe that. Ha! Horror really is good for you!
post #6554 of 9768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

...A few words on Insidious 2 which I saw this weekend... Well well well... I won't spoil anything but, the first one was definitely better. Insidious 2 is not scary, it has a sense a been-there-done-that throughout, I don't know, maybe after The Conjuring James Wan got tired and he got sloppy for Insidious 2 tongue.gif ...It's not really a bad movie, just slightly better-than-average. Given Wan's track record, I expected more. One thing though, Patrick Wilson seems to be enjoying himself with all these horror flicks, he's very good and without him the whole thing would have fallen completely flat (and apart wink.gif ). I'd say wait before it hits Blu-ray...

I saw Insidious 2 today and I had a great time with it. Hard to believe it's getting slammed so much on Rotten Tomatoes because it ultimately isn't so different from the first one. I liked the original Insidious and if you liked that, you're going to like this. Insidious 2 did away with some of the things I disliked about the first one (no more Darth Maul lookalikes), kept some of the things I was lukewarm about (goofball ghosthunter techy guys), and did some things better than the first (a more rich, if sometimes unfocused and crowded, story). Without even considering that this is a sequel, the movie works well--full of ghosts, creaky doors, an atmosphere of dread, and decent performances. Yeah, a few things don't work here and there (much like the first one) but overall I liked this movie a lot and will be buying the BD, it stands equal if not better than the first.
post #6555 of 9768
Thread Starter 
Posted these in years past for a "quick fix" but here they are again - free and legit!

http://www.bmovies.com/

(decent selection esp. Blood and Lace which I highly recommend.)

www.archive.org

http://archive.org/details/feature_films

(cool oldies under the scifi/horror section)
post #6556 of 9768
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzack View Post

Posted these in years past for a "quick fix" but here they are again - free and legit!

http://www.bmovies.com/

(decent selection esp. Blood and Lace which I highly recommend.)

www.archive.org

http://archive.org/details/feature_films

(cool oldies under the scifi/horror section)

Awesome.
post #6557 of 9768
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

Awesome.

+1
post #6558 of 9768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

...A few words on Insidious 2 which I saw this weekend... Well well well... I won't spoil anything but, the first one was definitely better. Insidious 2 is not scary, it has a sense a been-there-done-that throughout, I don't know, maybe after The Conjuring James Wan got tired and he got sloppy for Insidious 2 tongue.gif ...It's not really a bad movie, just slightly better-than-average. Given Wan's track record, I expected more. One thing though, Patrick Wilson seems to be enjoying himself with all these horror flicks, he's very good and without him the whole thing would have fallen completely flat (and apart wink.gif ). I'd say wait before it hits Blu-ray...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob McLaughlin View Post

I saw Insidious 2 today and I had a great time with it. Hard to believe it's getting slammed so much on Rotten Tomatoes because it ultimately isn't so different from the first one. I liked the original Insidious and if you liked that, you're going to like this. Insidious 2 did away with some of the things I disliked about the first one (no more Darth Maul lookalikes), kept some of the things I was lukewarm about (goofball ghosthunter techy guys), and did some things better than the first (a more rich, if sometimes unfocused and crowded, story). Without even considering that this is a sequel, the movie works well--full of ghosts, creaky doors, an atmosphere of dread, and decent performances. Yeah, a few things don't work here and there (much like the first one) but overall I liked this movie a lot and will be buying the BD, it stands equal if not better than the first.

Love these two posts! Whatever floats your boat - or not. Is all good. smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzack View Post

Posted these in years past for a "quick fix" but here they are again - free and legit!

http://www.bmovies.com/

(decent selection esp. Blood and Lace which I highly recommend.)

www.archive.org

http://archive.org/details/feature_films

(cool oldies under the scifi/horror section)

Ha! GARGOYLES for the win! I remember this movie as a kid on the tv ( smile.gif ). Just awesome.
post #6559 of 9768
Just finished watching the Sleepy Hollow pilot. The story is a little bit of a stretch, but the ending (and preview of what's to come) just ensured that I'm definitely going to hang with this for awhile longer. In fact, I'm starting tonight's recorded episode right now. cool.gif

In other news, the previews for American Horror Story- Coven are off the charts. Soooo much goodness in store for next month, folks.
post #6560 of 9768
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloCreed View Post

Just finished watching the Sleepy Hollow pilot. The story is a little bit of a stretch, but the ending (and preview of what's to come) just ensured that I'm definitely going to hang with this for awhile longer. In fact, I'm starting tonight's recorded episode right now. cool.gif

In other news, the previews for American Horror Story- Coven are off the charts. Soooo much goodness in store for next month, folks.
That was one bad assed headless horsemen wasn't it. smile.gif
post #6561 of 9768
Oh boy, I can't wait to get this! I love love love this version of The Pit & the Pendulum. Glad to see these films coming to bluray.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Vincent-Price-Collection-Blu-ray/74607/

post #6562 of 9768
^Day one buy for me!
post #6563 of 9768
My wife thinks Vincent Price (in his younger years) was hot. She says he would have charmed the panties off of her. biggrin.gif
post #6564 of 9768
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone7 View Post

My wife thinks Vincent Price (in his younger years) was hot. She says he would have charmed the panties off of her. biggrin.gif
LOL.
My wife says the same thing about Ricardo Montalbán.eek.gifrolleyes.gif
post #6565 of 9768
Anyone doing The Purge next month? Releases on the 8th. Just ordered it and The Conjuring.
post #6566 of 9768
The Purge piqued my interest and I will see if it will be available at RB.
post #6567 of 9768
"The Expelled" is listed as horror on Netflix WI but I would say it is a thriller. It's a British film about school teacher who faces a gang of hooded youths after hours at his high school. Unsatisfactory ending warning. Two and a half detention marks. I was able to watch it all the way through in HD without NF rebuffering, a rarity for the hour. But then I think it was only added to their lineup yesterday.

Just picked up "VHS 2" for tonight.
post #6568 of 9768
The new release of Jeepers Creeper 1&2 BD arrived today.
Great price of 15 bucks from Amazon.

My WWZ STILL hasn't arrived!frown.gif
post #6569 of 9768
Just surfing classic horror posters and came across this. I mean, are there any cooler movie posters than those for horror movies? I don't think so. biggrin.gif

post #6570 of 9768
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

The new release of Jeepers Creeper 1&2 BD arrived today.
Great price of 15 bucks from Amazon.

My WWZ STILL hasn't arrived!frown.gif

If ordered through Amazon give them a call. They will probably tell you ups has until 8pm to drop it off, or they can give you a credit because you didn't get your movie on time. Which is usually $5 dollars off your next purchase.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion › October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....)