or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion › October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....) - Page 231

post #6901 of 9787
Last night's flick......

4. I Saw the Devil (2010)- {4.5/5} Blu-ray This is a repeat from last year so that my wife could have a crack at it this time. Rating and comments stand from last year. It begins with a bang and simply does not let up until the credits are rolling. Outstanding PQ, awesome brutality and spot-on performances by the cast. In fact, at one point my wife angrily interjected about Min-sik Choi's character (Kyung-chul) "I hate him. He's so effing evil. I hate every single thing about him!!" That speaks for itself about how effective he was in playing the psychotic,serial killing bad guy. An overall spectacular movie folks!


On tap for tonight is Frank's Army, No One Lives or maybe The Roost. It all depends on my mood after watching my boys take on (and hopefully kick the f*&k outta) the Dodgers tonight. Go Bravos!!
post #6902 of 9787
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post


As a personal favor I would trade my $60 panny for your OPPO to help you out. You can PM me with the exchange details as I am sure it is embarassing for you.
I don't embarrass easily...he!!, I rarely put pants on before noon.

I don't know who is more politically incorrect....me with my "Oinking" tactic or you with your "speed up the flick" method.tongue.gif

Quote:
3-Juan of the Dead – 2011- FTV. Yeah, I almost OINK’d this one five minutes in. The writing style just wasn’t working for me. I don’t know if the writing or characterization ever improved but, thankfully, as more zombie carnage took place I was able to enjoy other aspects. Tons of Zombie extras and the shooting locations were fantastic. Even with the annoyingly dated keystone cops writing style, the set backdrops and staging were really impressive. The dissidents angle was funny and always cracks me up how old fashioned, simple , dated or behind the times some foreign movies are. This was made in 2011 but felt more like the 50’s or 60’s. Normally, I don’t like the type of ending they did, but here it did not bother me.
For gore, excellent location and sets, 3 Dissident Zombies.
Ain't ya glad you didn't use my approach?tongue.gif
"Kooba" really is stuck in the "50's or 60's," so it's appropriate for the movie to feel that way.wink.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

I've had albums that took a few listens and became my favorites.
Yeah, me too.biggrin.gif
post #6903 of 9787
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloCreed View Post


2. Otis (2008)- {4/5} Blu-ray Talk about a fun movie folks! It easily fits in the top tier of the horror/comedy genre along with Shaun of the Dead, Cabin in the Woods, Zombieland, etc. Normally these kinds of movies aren't really my bag (explaining the conservative 4 star rating), but this one is well done on nearly every level. Every character is unique and extremely well done and the story itself is simply awesome. We especially loved Kevin Pollack as the abusive older brother and Jere Burns as the cocky, bumbling FBI agent. This is my second time with this flick and it was even better this time around. For those who haven't seen it, do yourself a favor and add this to your list.

Never knew this was a horror comedy and skipped it over. Gotta check it out now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

Seems like attendance is down this year. Did the government shutdown Horror? Are we some ragtag band of rebels destined to be hunted by down and silenced? Are we just keeping it between the lines as we speed down the highway in a dream with burning cities in the rearview?

I blame the site change but it's all good. You guys are all killing it. Best kickoff so far. cool.gif
post #6904 of 9787
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzack View Post

Never knew this was a horror comedy
Neither did I eek.gif....I thought it was just a horrible movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

Did the government shutdown Horror?
The govt. IS the "Horror."wink.gif
Edited by oink - 10/3/13 at 11:45am
post #6905 of 9787
New episode of "Overly Sensitive Zombie Girl" (# 3) just completed by my daughter last night after homework was done! No, this one doesn't count as a movie viewing for October, it's only a minute long!
post #6906 of 9787
Thread Starter 
Stinky! lol
post #6907 of 9787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post



...Irreversible...It sure isn't an easy watch, but it's a very interesting piece of filmmaking imo. This film has one of the most brutal sequences I've ever seen, and it's not the rape scene.
Agreed. Powerfully depressing movie though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

I don't embarrass easily...he!!, I rarely put pants on before noon.
And now it's a party. eek.gif
post #6908 of 9787
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzack View Post

Never knew this was a horror comedy and skipped it over. Gotta check it out now.
I blame the site change but it's all good. You guys are all killing it. Best kickoff so far. cool.gif

I guess I could post in the Xbox thread that you all are talking shirt about the XBONE. Should get that view count up.
post #6909 of 9787
post #6910 of 9787
Thread Starter 
are the fanboys at it again? we could also post in the HD DVD forum that members here swear Blu-ray will win the format war.
post #6911 of 9787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

Hottest thread updated. tongue.gif


...Irreversible...It sure isn't an easy watch, but it's a very interesting piece of filmmaking imo. This film has one of the most brutal sequences I've ever seen, and it's not the rape scene.

I have heard of this movie and it is the same guy that made Into the Void. After watching The Thing this afternoon I checked out a couple of minutes of Into the Void and man, I thought I was at an intense rave listening to my hardcore techno music! I know it isn't horror per se and I might give it a whirl after October is done.
post #6912 of 9787
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloCreed View Post

Last night's flick......

4. I Saw the Devil (2010)- {4.5/5} Blu-ray This is a repeat from last year so that my wife could have a crack at it this time. Rating and comments stand from last year. It begins with a bang and simply does not let up until the credits are rolling. Outstanding PQ, awesome brutality and spot-on performances by the cast. In fact, at one point my wife angrily interjected about Min-sik Choi's character (Kyung-chul) "I hate him. He's so effing evil. I hate every single thing about him!!" That speaks for itself about how effective he was in playing the psychotic,serial killing bad guy. An overall spectacular movie folks!


On tap for tonight is Frank's Army, No One Lives or maybe The Roost. It all depends on my mood after watching my boys take on (and hopefully kick the f*&k outta) the Dodgers tonight. Go Bravos!!
Props to the missus for making it through that man! I don't think mine could stomach that one and would probablly be pissed at me by the end if she finished it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzack View Post

are the fanboys at it again? we could also post in the HD DVD forum that members here swear Blu-ray will win the format war.

"YOU'RE GOING DOWN RED KNIGHT!!!!"


October 2nd:

The Loved Ones - 4 Zombies
This is obviously a repeat viewing (3rd year IIRC) and just an uber fun twisted ride. Robin McLeavy is simply brilliant as the unhinged teen psycho chick with staggering daddy issues. Plenty of decent gore, well paced, excellent A/V on the B locked bluray, and a favorite in my revenge flick library. 4 pretty enough blood zombies.

Videodrome - 3 stars
First time viewing this one and I have to say I found it original and entertaining. Almost seems like some inspiration to some of what we've seen in V/H/S. Nudity, torture, James Woods... what else do you need? 3 naked ZILF's.
post #6913 of 9787
OK, I meant to mention yesterday that I watched the apocalyptic horror thriller "This is the End" on BD Tuesday night. Oh wait, it's a Seth Rogen comedy BUT it has as much or more special effects and horror scenes than some of the other junk we watch. Three and a half Emma Watsons.

BTW, "I Spit on Your Grave 2" is available at RB.
post #6914 of 9787
Oct 3, movie watched: THE DEMENTED. First Time watch.

Very disappointing, supposedly about a germ warfare virus but really just slightly different than zombies.

Didnt find it scary at all, no big deal. Just rates a 1 for me.

Also, i am re-ranking Dead Snow from a 3 to a 3.5, that movie is still with me. It might even be worth higher, i still have a problem with the long too slow first half.

OCTOBER 2013 MOVIES WATCHED:
01) TORTURE ROOM - 2 brainwashed Zombies
02) DEAD SNOW - 3.5 semi-intelligent Nazi Zombies
03) THE DEMENTED - 1 germ-infected Zombie
post #6915 of 9787
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeman View Post

Oct 3, movie watched: THE DEMENTED. First Time watch.

Very disappointing, supposedly about a germ warfare virus but really just slightly different than zombies.

Didnt find it scary at all, no big deal. Just rates a 1 for me.

Also, i am re-ranking Dead Snow from a 3 to a 3.5, that movie is still with me. It might even be worth higher, i still have a problem with the long too slow first half.

OCTOBER 2013 MOVIES WATCHED:
01) TORTURE ROOM - 2 brainwashed Zombies
02) DEAD SNOW - 3.5 semi-intelligent Nazi Zombies
03) THE DEMENTED - 1 germ-infected Zombie

It is OK to like Dead Snow. Really.
post #6916 of 9787
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

Five minutes is way too early to judge nearly anything. I've had albums that took a few listens and became my favorites but as they say different strokes.
I have always had a high tolerance for slow-moving, quiet movies. I like movies that give me some breathing space to think and reflect rather than spoon-feeding me something (assuming there's something interesting to see and reflect upon, of course). And I've been often bored with fast-moving movies (The Adventures of Tintin comes to mind)--nice to look at but ultimately almost alienating in its sheer amount of constant visual spectacle. Like watching a grand finale of fireworks for 107 minutes straight.

Some days I do want accessible fluff, but other days I want something I can sink my teeth and brain into.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post

I have heard of this movie and it is the same guy that made Into the Void. After watching The Thing this afternoon I checked out a couple of minutes of Into the Void and man, I thought I was at an intense rave listening to my hardcore techno music! I know it isn't horror per se and I might give it a whirl after October is done.
Definitely check it out. Made me feel very strange, the movie itself has an almost drug-like effect. But you're right, it's not horror, more of a mind-f***k.
Edited by Bob McLaughlin - 10/3/13 at 1:41pm
post #6917 of 9787
Hands down one of the best pranks eveh!
post #6918 of 9787
Have you seen Stone Cold E.T.?
post #6919 of 9787
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post

I have heard of this movie and it is the same guy that made Into the Void. After watching The Thing this afternoon I checked out a couple of minutes of Into the Void and man, I thought I was at an intense rave listening to my hardcore techno music! I know it isn't horror per se and I might give it a whirl after October is done.

Same dude did both movies? Makes sense, never thought to imdb it. Damn, what's wrong with that guy?
post #6920 of 9787
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

Same dude did both movies? Makes sense, never thought to imdb it. Damn, what's wrong with that guy?
Nothing. His third eye is wide open.
post #6921 of 9787
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

Same dude did both movies? Makes sense, never thought to imdb it. Damn, what's wrong with that guy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

Nothing. His third eye is wide open.

I think if people had 'party favors' watching these movies, we would 'get it' ha! But honestly I really like films like The Tree of Life, because the movie is kinda abstract/artsy but having a defined meaning, though all of this is subjective to different peoples tastes.

My wife was at home working today so I thought I might not be able to enjoy a horror movie but I was dead wrong!


The Thing, John Carpenter, 1982 BD. If I were to describe one horror movie that bests describe this genre, The Thing would be one of those top films! I have seen this umpteen times and now I live in a place that gets snow, it is really fun now to watch this film! This film starts off in an American Antarctic outpost where Norwegian people (via helicopter) are shooting at a dog. Then the American guys investigate wtf were those guys up to? This is a first domino to fall in a series of events that makes this movie Horror gold! Yes there is gore, a slimy space creature that morphs into whatever it engulfs, a question of 'who is it?' is on the minds of the characters etc...John Carpenter really did an awesome job of shooting this film and getting the actors to jell together in front of the camera. Rob Bottin's make up/ creature signature is definitely burned into your brain after you see this and Ennio Morricone did the score and it just adds to the tension. I know everyone knows Carpenter for Halloween but this movie is the other one that is on par with Halloween. This is a must buy for any HD horror junkie and the transfer is really good!

5 Morphing, slimy Zombies!
Edited by BornSlippyZ - 10/6/13 at 12:58pm
post #6922 of 9787
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

Hands down one of the best pranks eveh!

*hee hee* Wait...these are the same people that want $15 an hour???
post #6923 of 9787
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post


Lol that was pretty hilarious! When I watched Insidious I was telling myself we have Poltergeist! Of course some of my non horror watching friends/family thought the movie was scary and great!rolleyes.gif


The skeleton drive thru was funny too!
Edited by BornSlippyZ - 10/3/13 at 3:31pm
post #6924 of 9787
Just got done watching American Mary. Not a bad movie. Mary drops out of med school and does body modifications.

larry
post #6925 of 9787
Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

Just got done watching American Mary. Not a bad movie. Mary drops out of med school and does body modifications.

larry

Yeah. Body modifications.
post #6926 of 9787
Just an FYI TCM is airing the original 1968 Night of the Living Dead at 9:30pm EST this Friday.

I think I am going to tune in!
post #6927 of 9787
Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

Just got done watching American Mary. Not a bad movie. Mary drops out of med school and does body modifications.

larry
I enjoyed that one too.cool.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post

Just an FYI TCM is airing the original 1968 Night of the Living Dead at 9:30pm EST this Friday.

I think I am going to tune in!
Count me in.smile.gif
post #6928 of 9787
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloCreed View Post

Last night's flick......

4. I Saw the Devil (2010)- {4.5/5} Blu-ray This is a repeat from last year so that my wife could have a crack at it this time. Rating and comments stand from last year. It begins with a bang and simply does not let up until the credits are rolling. Outstanding PQ, awesome brutality and spot-on performances by the cast. In fact, at one point my wife angrily interjected about Min-sik Choi's character (Kyung-chul) "I hate him. He's so effing evil. I hate every single thing about him!!" That speaks for itself about how effective he was in playing the psychotic,serial killing bad guy. An overall spectacular movie folks!


On tap for tonight is Frank's Army, No One Lives or maybe The Roost. It all depends on my mood after watching my boys take on (and hopefully kick the f*&k outta) the Dodgers tonight. Go Bravos!!

I still need to see I Saw the Devil!



I am a Dodger fan and you are probably right, not getting excited till they win the World Series. I have been a fan way too long to get my hopes up and the Braves look great this year! GL!
post #6929 of 9787
5. Higanjima. I really liked this flick. It's a good twist on the vampire genre with a Battle Royale feel. It's very high on melodrama and that is it's weakest point as it's a bit much. When the action kicks in it's great and the blood sprays. The visual style is razor sharp and the HD Extra on Netflix was stunning with great blacks. It has a mild style of Wushu and tons of sword play. FTV 3.5 stars



I want to try Wizz's style smile.gif

This movie contains:
Slow walker vampires
Anime stereotypes
Giant vampire monster
TONS of that metal shing sound
Katana decapitations
Melodrama
post #6930 of 9787
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

5. Higanjima. I really liked this flick. It's a good twist on the vampire genre with a Battle Royale feel. It's very high on melodrama and that is it's weakest point as it's a bit much. When the action kicks in it's great and the blood sprays. The visual style is razor sharp and the HD Extra on Netflix was stunning with great blacks. It has a mild style of Wushu and tons of sword play. FTV 3.5 stars
WTF?

This movie has been in my Saved Titles at NF forever and a day without a release date!mad.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion › October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....)