or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion › October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....) - Page 246

post #7351 of 9795
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

Have you tried Ghibli movies?

I have watched a few (Spirited away is my fav) and my mom has Ponyo on BD so I have to give it a whirl one of these days so my kids can experience them.
post #7352 of 9795
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post

Oh yeah she was good and quite attractive I might add!
Her cheerleader outfit in "Death Proof" makes me feel some very unwholesome thoughts...

post #7353 of 9795
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

Dark Skies is awesome but I rented it and should have bought it. At any rate I'm home today with the little one and we've watched Monsters University which is pretty weak IMHO. Pixar has cars'd that one right up. On another note I threw in Finding Nemo and got about ten minutes in and the kid said "Stop it right now daddy, no watch fish. Watch Arietty." All the while putting the remote in my hand. "Here daddy, stop the fish and watch Arietty. Please."
A wise child wink.gif
post #7354 of 9795
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob McLaughlin View Post

Her cheerleader outfit in "Death Proof" makes me feel some very unwholesome thoughts...


No way that was her!
Very nice!
biggrin.gif
post #7355 of 9795
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post

I have watched a few (Spirited away is my fav) and my mom has Ponyo on BD so I have to give it a whirl one of these days so my kids can experience them.

Mine is all about Totoro, Kiki, and Ponyo. Recently she is asking for Arietty.
post #7356 of 9795
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

Was she G-MILFish for you in LOS?
Uh, not so much....time can be cruel.

Quote:
Added to my queue
+1
post #7357 of 9795
[quote name="darthrsg" url="/t/1068270/october-fun-31-days-of-horror-blood-guts-and-gore-and-zombies-too/7300_100#post_23834034
24. Day of the Dead. Romero zombies. Still one of the masters that casts a long shadow. The view into societal microcosms is typically a big draw for me. Searching for silver linings among a grim environment is part of the reason I connect to Z films. Throw in a command and control structure and the end of the world and you got yourself a party. Tom Savini effects push this to 11. 4.5 stars



This movie has:
Zombies. The real kind.
The kind of zombies that would kill Brad Pitt.
Tom Savini stuff that Brad Pitt ignored for some reason.[/quote]
I don't think so. BP can survive jetliners crashing from 30,000 feet AND slippery military transport ramps (not to mention hoardes of the undead) - nothing can kill him.wink.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob McLaughlin View Post

Her cheerleader outfit in "Death Proof" makes me feel some very unwholesome thoughts...

I had those same thoughts in SKY HIGH

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

Mine is all about Totoro, Kiki, and Ponyo. Recently she is asking for Arietty.
Yep, those are all good. My eight year old is into Nausicca for some reason?? It is kind of bleak but is her fav right now.

Speaking of Ghibli, my Saturday night was -
14- Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust – 2000 FTV. Animated movie, and was like Studio Ghibli meets gothic horror. The drawing and tone really reminded me of Ghibli – even down to the soft spoken hero. Is rated R, but is more beautiful than brutal. Fun, well done movie and too bad NF does not have the first in the series.

This movie has –
A face talking out of a hand.
A wolf roaring out of a stomach.
A bounty hunter crying out for mommy.

4 Ghibli Zombies

My October 2013 list
1-No One Lives -2012 FTV. 3 Psycho Zombies
2-Cockneys Vs Zombies – 2012 FTV 3.5 Cockney Zombies
3-Juan of the Dead – 2011 FTV. 3 dissident Zombies
4- Shaun of the Dead – 2004. 4 British Zombies
5-SPECIES II – 1998. 3.5 procreating Zombies
6-HALLOWEEN Rob Zombie style – 2007 FTV. 3 knife wielding Zombies
7-American Mary – 2013 FTV. 3 Modified Zombies
8- The Demented - 2012 FTV. 3.5 STINKER OF THE YEAR Zombies
9- Cemetery Man - 1994 FTV. 3 dinner plate Zombies
10-Trick r Treat – 2007. 4.5 old fashioned Zombies
11-OTIS – 2007 FTV. 4 no date to the prom Zombies
12-MANBORG – 2011 FTV. 5 ridiculously awesome Zombies
13-Frankenstein's Army - 2013 FTV. 4 Frankenstein Zombies
14-Vampire Hunter D: BLOODLUST – 2000 FTV. 4 Ghibli Zombies
post #7358 of 9795
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Uh, not so much...

Right...
post #7359 of 9795
Glad you liked Vampire Hunter D.
post #7360 of 9795
Finally got a movie in, WORLD WAR Z, first time watch. Totally loved it.

I needed this, in a month with personal problems and with having watched a bunch of movies that i havent liked, this was a welcome change.

No low twenty-dollar budget here, this had good production values, good acting, good effects, good enough plot.

I really loved the great effects when insanely large quantities of "zombies" would be doing the same thing, climbing a wall, knocking over a bus, charging at people, etc. Really enjoyed this. Rating this a 4.5, the best movie this month so far.

OCTOBER 2013 MOVIES WATCHED (1-5 Zombie ratings):
01) TORTURE ROOM.....................................2 brainwashed Zombies
02) DEAD SNOW............................................3-1/2 semi-intelligent Nazi Zombies
03) THE DEMENTED......................................1 germ-infected Zombie
04) LIFEFORCE.. ...........................................2-1/2 naked space Zombies
05) ZOMBIE ARMAGEDDON.........................2-3/4 atomic Zombies
06) THE DEAD............................................... 2-3/4 scenic african Zombies
07) HELLBOUND HELLRAISER II .................3 pin-headed Zombies
08) SHARKNADO............................................4 fun campy shark-eaten Zombies
09) STORM WARNING...................................2 suspenseful Zombies
10) THE FRIGHTENERS................................3-1/4 fun Zombies
11) WORLD WAR Z........................................4-1/2 large quantities of Zombies
post #7361 of 9795
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

Glad you liked Vampire Hunter D.
Excellent recommendation!
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeman View Post

Finally got a movie in, WORLD WAR Z, first time watch. Totally loved it.

I needed this, in a month with personal problems and with having watched a bunch of movies that i havent liked, this was a welcome change.

No low twenty-dollar budget here, this had good production values, good acting, good effects, good enough plot.

I really loved the great effects when insanely large quantities of "zombies" would be doing the same thing, climbing a wall, knocking over a bus, charging at people, etc. Really enjoyed this. Rating this a 4.5, the best movie this month so far.

OCTOBER 2013 MOVIES WATCHED (1-5 Zombie ratings):
01) TORTURE ROOM.....................................2 brainwashed Zombies
02) DEAD SNOW............................................3-1/2 semi-intelligent Nazi Zombies
03) THE DEMENTED......................................1 germ-infected Zombie
04) LIFEFORCE.. ...........................................2-1/2 naked space Zombies
05) ZOMBIE ARMAGEDDON.........................2-3/4 atomic Zombies
06) THE DEAD............................................... 2-3/4 scenic african Zombies
07) HELLBOUND HELLRAISER II .................3 pin-headed Zombies
08) SHARKNADO............................................4 fun campy shark-eaten Zombies
09) STORM WARNING...................................2 suspenseful Zombies
10) THE FRIGHTENERS................................3-1/4 fun Zombies
11) WORLD WAR Z........................................4-1/2 large quantities of Zombies

Awesome!!!

We all look for the hidden gem. What didn't work for someone else might work for me etc. Nice to have a flic deliver.

Lost my OINK'd cherry last night on Fight Ixcer 1. Just wasn't working, so my first ever OINK.

Thale and the skin I live in reviews to follow.
post #7362 of 9795
Does Pacific Rim qualify? Probably not really "horror" but monster movie? sure. I was considering a blind buy for the 3D and fun factor experience... Mr. Potts gave it a pretty solid review. Anyone else here see it, thoughts?
post #7363 of 9795
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

Does Pacific Rim qualify? Probably not really "horror" but monster movie? sure. I was considering a blind buy for the 3D and fun factor experience... Mr. Potts gave it a pretty solid review. Anyone else here see it, thoughts?


No idea but I love your avatar. Tomas!
post #7364 of 9795
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post


Lost my OINK'd cherry last night on Fight Ixcer 1. Just wasn't working, so my first ever OINK.
ALL things should be taken in moderation....tongue.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeman View Post

Finally got a movie in, WORLD WAR Z, first time watch. Totally loved it.
Nice to hear you enjoyed.cool.gif

Hope everything is getting better on the family side, old friend.... smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

Does Pacific Rim qualify? Probably not really "horror" but monster movie?
Since when does "monster movies" not qualify as horror???confused.gif
post #7365 of 9795
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

Does Pacific Rim qualify? Probably not really "horror" but monster movie? sure. I was considering a blind buy for the 3D and fun factor experience... Mr. Potts gave it a pretty solid review. Anyone else here see it, thoughts?

I saw it the other night. I liked it a lot but opted to leave it out of here. Godzilla is counted as horror by many so I can see it being at home.
post #7366 of 9795
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeman View Post

Finally got a movie in, WORLD WAR Z, first time watch. Totally loved it.

I needed this, in a month with personal problems and with having watched a bunch of movies that i havent liked, this was a welcome change.

No low twenty-dollar budget here, this had good production values, good acting, good effects, good enough plot.

I really loved the great effects when insanely large quantities of "zombies" would be doing the same thing, climbing a wall, knocking over a bus, charging at people, etc. Really enjoyed this. Rating this a 4.5, the best movie this month so far.

I'm hopeful for part 2.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I really liked the end lab sequence and there are tons of little things like the one zombie biting the bars in Israel.
post #7367 of 9795
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

I saw it the other night. I liked it a lot but opted to leave it out of here. Godzilla is counted as horror by many so I can see it being at home.
Aren't vampires, zombies, serial killers, simply "monsters" too?wink.gif
post #7368 of 9795
I sat through a viewing of the 1973 film apocalyptic thriller "Idaho Transfer" which was directed by Peter Fonda. Unfortunately the PQ looked like it was a transfer from a VHS tape (probably was) and of course full frame. The titles were centered for a 1:85:1 mask which was probably how it was presented originally. It's an interesting story for it's time about a future destroyed Idaho and young folks (including a young Keith Carradine) traveling in time to visit it. As a bonus for me the lead scientist was played by Ted D'Arms, my old Seattle jogging buddy. Three bad transfers (pardon the pun).

More sci-fi than horror but the Canadian two part TV movie "Delete" which is on Netflix is pretty good. I watched the first episode last night.
post #7369 of 9795
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Aren't vampires, zombies, serial killers, simply "monsters" too?wink.gif

Sure. Horror is a broad swath of genres.

Speaking of which I have yet to get scared this October. I hope The Conjuring does it. The last movie to creep me out was Sinister. VHS 2 didn't scare me but it certainly pumped me up.
post #7370 of 9795
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

Sure. Horror is a broad swath of genres.

Speaking of which I have yet to get scared this October. I hope The Conjuring does it. The last movie to creep me out was Sinister. VHS 2 didn't scare me but it certainly pumped me up.

The Conjuring will make you jump out of your seat at least once. Maybe not from fright but from surprise and volume. I really liked it and am looking forward to seeing it again when the bluray is released later this month.
post #7371 of 9795
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

Does Pacific Rim qualify? Probably not really "horror" but monster movie? sure. I was considering a blind buy for the 3D and fun factor experience... Mr. Potts gave it a pretty solid review. Anyone else here see it, thoughts?

How can scary looking, huge, other dimensional monsters that have come to kill not be horror? Plus, according to the interwebs, the FIRST city they take out is CABO SAN LUCAS!! tongue.gif

It's a valid question. But is a slippery slope what horror really is and probably comes down to your own personal relationship with horror.
If any would like to know more, I have pamphlets and hand them out if you sit next to me on public transportation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

ALL things should be taken in moderation....tongue.gif

Since when does "monster movies" not qualify as horror???confused.gif
Very good advice.

My 20ish nephew thinks a lot of the horror movies of my youth, or before, are semi rediculous, not scary, not really horror. I am not enthralled with many of his top horror flics either. So who is right?

ME OF COURSE!biggrin.gif
post #7372 of 9795
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

Sure. Horror is a broad swath of genres.

Speaking of which I have yet to get scared this October. I hope The Conjuring does it. The last movie to creep me out was Sinister. VHS 2 didn't scare me but it certainly pumped me up.

You would be scared if you saw Toddlers and Tiaras taking up so much space on your DVR like I do. tongue.gif

Pumped is a good word.
post #7373 of 9795
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Aren't vampires, zombies, serial killers, simply "monsters" too?wink.gif
Sometimes the monsters are even us. Sometimes existence and life itself is the monster. Minds greater than mine have pondered the "what is horror" question, but in terms of this thread, I'd say horror is in the eye of the beholder.
post #7374 of 9795
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob McLaughlin View Post

Sometimes the monsters are even us. Sometimes existence and life itself is the monster. Minds greater than mine have pondered the "what is horror" question, but in terms of this thread, I'd say horror is in the eye of the beholder.


Well said. This is where my wife and I part ways. She does not like really gory horror movies, especially the torture stuff. I can separate movies from reality. I love the suspension of disbelief required for most films and I can enjoy being in that moment without taking it more seriously than necessary. She says if a horror movie has to have all this over the top gore, nudity, etc. then it isn't a good movie. I can enjoy these types of movies for their entertainment value and leave it at that. There are not many things she will watch with me. However, I am expected to be present for every episode of Cake Boss, Toddlers & Tiaras, Bridezillas, etc.
post #7375 of 9795
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

the FIRST city they take out is CABO SAN LUCAS!! tongue.gif
BASTERDOS!!!

Quote:
If any would like to know more, I have pamphlets and hand them out if you sit next to me on public transportation...
Sooooo, you're THE GUY...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob McLaughlin View Post

I'd say horror is in the eye of the beholder.
Or on ring finger of the left hand.
post #7376 of 9795
If beauty is in the eye of the beer holder, then true horror is an empty mug.
post #7377 of 9795
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone7 View Post

However, I am expected to be present for every episode of Cake Boss, Toddlers & Tiaras, Bridezillas, etc.
Here is a marriage tip:
Whenever your presence is required, grab a bottle of your favorite spirits and start doing shots.
You will be surprised how quickly your spouse will stop demanding your attendance.
post #7378 of 9795
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob McLaughlin View Post

If beauty is in the eye of the beer holder, then true horror is an empty mug.
Amen, brother.....biggrin.gif
post #7379 of 9795
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

Glad you liked Vampire Hunter D.

I believe I haven't seen this one yet, I have seen the original 80's one and that was awesome!
post #7380 of 9795
Thanks guys! I think I'll roll the dice and pick it up. I guess when I think "horror" I still think of the section titled "horror" at Blockbuster, Hollywood Video, or some other video store but then again I've seen An American Werewolf in London in the "Comedy" section in those places before which I thought was odd but could also see the opposing argument lol. Pacific Rim seems more action/scifi to me but huge monsters... sure close enough for me.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion › October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....)