or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion › October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....) - Page 254

post #7591 of 9790
Wife just watched The Purge and is now starting Inside. Go wife.
post #7592 of 9790
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloCreed View Post

Had some friends over last night and they INSISTED on a triple feature after the second one was done. Haven't done that in awhile......Good times. We watched World War Z, Blair Witch Project and the original Paranormal Activity.
Yep, might end up revisiting that one this month now that we're talking about it.
I remember having that same issue with Suspiria. Horrible dubbing.
Hard core guests, awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

We moved here because the covenants were pretty liberal and I don't think those are at risk but we have a neighbor who complains about everything but doesn't want to get his hands dirty. He has befriended a new neighbor and that guy now mimics the other guy's complaints so it was obvious they formed an alliance. They are trying to railroad a few neighbors into some things and I keep calling them out on it.

They have singled a family out that lets their grass get a lot taller than everybody else. The reason it happens is the dad travels for his job all the time, his wife works full time and has two kids, one of the girls is disabled so it's not hard to see they get overwhelmed. So they go around **** talking them and I had had enough. I told them I'd rather live in a neighborhood where if my yard was a problem they should come fix it because you don't know what is going on in someone's house and to stop being uppity bitches about it and going behind them talking ****.

End of rant but that ******** gets my blood boiling.
I always think of the movie Over the Hedge when folks talk about their HOA nazis, or politics, and still surprising how many times I hear about the grass is an INCH too tall or something flippin trivial like that. We don't have too many HOA neighborhoods in Portland but when I lived in AZ they were everywhere. Coming from a wet climate one of the things my wife and I looked forward to was having palm trees in our yard. NOPE, not consistent with the Sonoran desert look so could only have in our back yard AND they could be no taller than the fence. I still stuck it to the man and had my Satelite dish easily visable from the road. BORN TO BE WILD! cool.gifcool.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

FYI, I emailed Amazon about my SD purchase of Pacific Rim and they refunded it. As for horror, last night was a long one, and Chillerama did me in. I'm watching Storage Wars to cleanse the palate.
Barry is cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

PLEASE tell me you misspoke.....eek.gif
I thought mother's day was cool. Rebecca de Mornay was awesome and I liked the rest of the cast and and some of the little twists they did. Jaime King was the main gal and remember her from Silent Night and My Bloody Valentine.
Had a dark tone and also almost a black comedic vibe to it.
Edited by GoCaboNow - 10/21/13 at 8:19am
post #7593 of 9790
For anyone who doesn't have the series, Amazon JUST announced the seven picture "Nightmare On Elm Street" collection on blu-ray for $26.
post #7594 of 9790
Did you guys see this?

Halloween decorations too scary?


biggrin.gif
post #7595 of 9790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

Did you guys see this?

Halloween decorations too scary?


biggrin.gif

Cool video! It might be much for some people but that older lady saying we have enough violence out there so this guy should not have this etc..is stupidly relating this guys Halloween decorations to adding to the worlds problems. I for one cannot stand people like that because in reality people will complain about anything.

End rant.tongue.gif
post #7596 of 9790
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

The crows are ready to deliver neighborhood invites for next weekends showing of The Conjuring!




Very cool, my friend. Nice touch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

Wife just watched The Purge and is now starting Inside. Go wife.

Inside? That's some hard core stuff dude. Post back on her reaction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

I thought mother's day was cool. Rebecca de Mornay was awesome and I liked the rest of the cast and and some of the little twists they did. Jaime King was the main gal and remember her from Silent Night and My Bloody Valentine.
Had a dark tone and also almost a black comedic vibe to it.

Mother's Day was a nice surprise last year. Enjoyed it very much.
post #7597 of 9790
Last night's double feature was RZ's Halloween and a repeat viewing of Lords of Salem. I wouldn't have opted to watch LOS again so quickly, but you have to please the guests wink.gif As it stands...I'll only be counting Halloween towards the month's total.

21. Halloween (2007)- {4.25/5} Blu-ray Our guests eventually decided on a Rob Zombie double feature so since my buddy's girlfriend hadn't seen it; we started with this one. Nothing new to report as I've been very fond of this remake since its release. I think I'm just gonna officially declare this a yearly Oct watch. cool.gif
post #7598 of 9790


24, Freaks, Tod Browning, 1932 First Time ViewingTCMHD I went old school last night and watched this movie. I remember years ago when Bravo had their 100 most scary moments and they had this movie on the list. So finally I got to see it and it is basically a thriller/horror movie about a trapeze girl (Cleo) that befriends, but uses her charms on a sideshow very small guy named Hans. Meanwhile this chick is just using him for money, booze and jewelry. She is also messing around with a guy named Hercules (part of the sideshow also). Well the other sideshow people find out this Cleo is being mean and trying to kill Hans, they resort to revenge, sideshow style. What is very different about this film is that the sideshow actors are all 'real', as far as no practical effects used on them. I really don't think this movie will every get remade, although I could be wrong.


4.5 Sideshow Zombies





25, The Descent, Neil Marshall, 2005 This movie needs no introduction as many here has seen it. This movie has it all, great use of lighting, awesome creature effects, terrifying scenes, claustrophobic sets and some strong/attractive all female cast! What more does anyone need in a Horror movie these days! We need more movies like this!


4.5 Cave Dwelling Zombies



Kenobi's Conjuring invites are pretty damn cool!

Darth putting the misses through the ringer tonight! Awesome that she would even agree to watch that, my wife would be a 'no go'.
post #7599 of 9790
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post


Darth putting the misses through the ringer tonight! Awesome that she would even agree to watch that, my wife would be a 'no go'.

My wife like horror movies but doesn't like the zombie/eating people stuff. Ghosts or chopping folks up she's ok with. She's a Friday the 13th fan.
post #7600 of 9790
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

My wife like horror movies but doesn't like the zombie/eating people stuff. Ghosts or chopping folks up she's ok with. She's a Friday the 13th fan.
Different strokes and all....
post #7601 of 9790
I'm a zombie genre nut, LOVES me some Walking Dead

Sent from my SCH-R760X using Tapatalk now Free
post #7602 of 9790
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Different strokes and all....
Yep.
post #7603 of 9790
20. Naboer (Next Door) (first-time viewing)
Norwegian thriller where two seductive neighbors start messing with the mind of a man who just broke up with his girlfriend. At a mere 76 minutes this was a short nasty little story, but frankly the plot is so thin it could have been made even shorter. There's a Polanski-like claustrophobia since the majority of the movie takes place in a dim apartment (there's even a wardrobe cabinet blocking a door, a Polanski signature) but the filmmaker doesn't have his talent. The female characters are interesting but the concept is not unique as we question the protagonist's grip on reality, and all but the most naive viewers will see the "twist" coming a mile away. 2.5 out of 5 stars.

21. Carrie (2013) (first-time viewing)
A high school outcast awakens her psychokinetic powers with the onset of puberty, and uses them to avenge a prom prank. It seems pointless for me to recap the story, which everyone is familiar with, and the same could be asked of the filmmakers responsible for this remake. Chloe Grace Moretz and Julianne Moore give good but not incredible performances, and the final scenes of destruction come closer to living up to the novel's originally near-apocalyptic feel, but far too many scenes are more or less directly lifted from the Brian DePalma 1976 film, which is a fine (if a little dated) horror masterpiece. If I had neither read the novel nor seen the original movie, I would have found this to be a decent and watchable revenge-horror film. Such as it is, it's not a bad horror film, but not really required viewing--if you've already seen DePalma's version, you've essentially already seen this movie, and seen it done better. 3.5 out of 5 stars.

Bob's October 2013 Horror Movie List
FTV denotes first time viewing
1. Some Guy Who Kills People (FTV)
2. Uzumaki (FTV)
3. The Pact (2011) (FTV)
4. Midnight Son (FTV)
5. Excision (FTV)
6. Absentia (FTV)
7. Sleep Tight (FTV)
8. Lunacy (FTV)
9. Frankenstein's Army (FTV)
10. The Woman in Black (FTV)
11. Color Me Blood Red (FTV)
12. Chained (FTV)
13. Frankenweenie
14. Mum and Dad (FTV)
15. Malevolence (FTV)
16. V/H/S/2 (FTV)
17. Juan of the Dead (FTV)
18. The Awakening (FTV)
19. Blood and Black Lace (FTV)
20. Naboer (Next Door) (FTV)
21. Carrie (2013) (FTV)
post #7604 of 9790
post #7605 of 9790
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzack View Post

Peeps love this movie. I just don't get. Maybe we're not emo enough.
Maybe I just wasn't in the mood but I just thought it was lame and I can't stand when the awkward character with major esteem issues suddenly becomes a confident killer with a quick dark wit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloCreed View Post

Had some friends over last night and they INSISTED on a triple feature after the second one was done. Haven't done that in awhile......Good times. We watched World War Z, Blair Witch Project and the original Paranormal Activity.
Yep, might end up revisiting that one this month now that we're talking about it.
I remember having that same issue with Suspiria. Horrible dubbing.
Yes, if memory serves some of the actresses in Suspiria were speaking Italian and some English so Argento had the original actresses do their lines in English after the fact and dub over it. The problem with this is we will never really see the movie in a subtitled and English split as it was originally recorded, but then again that would seem awkward as well. This is one of my favorites and I usually like to save it for a later time in October on a cool and/or rainy night but it has been in the 80's every day here and nights have been pretty mild so I may have to just slot it in sometime this week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post

Cool video! It might be much for some people but that older lady saying we have enough violence out there so this guy should not have this etc..is stupidly relating this guys Halloween decorations to adding to the worlds problems. I for one cannot stand people like that because in reality people will complain about anything.

End rant.tongue.gif
How this is even newsworthy is a testament to how badly media is failing at their jobs. I could go on but will leave it out and just say that from what I saw the fatal flaw here was there was no other decor on the house. It's a great idea but needs some other things going on to say "it's a Halloween display".
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

Wife just watched The Purge and is now starting Inside. Go wife.
Damn, that is awesome! When I watched that one a few years back my wife asked what it was about and didn't even want the disc in the house once I told here... hehe.

Last night was a frustrating night with my sister in-law who has been doing the pop-in with her new boyfriend. The guy is nice enough but dammit man when the lights go down and the movie is on SHUTTHEHELLUP! I had planned on a double feature last night watching REC and REC2 but since some folks are incapable of reading and watching I was asked to put on The Fourth Kind as my wife thought it would really scare here sister. After it was over she was like "that wasn't as scary as I thought it would be" and I said, "well its more effective when your not jawing through half the movie" mad.gif Today I realized he drank the last of my Jim Beam as well... talking during a horror film and drinking my bourbon... that's a good way to end up as fertilizer in my backyard son.
post #7606 of 9790
Oh. Hell. No.
post #7607 of 9790
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

Oh. Hell. No.
Actually I was thinking...
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
post #7608 of 9790
I have the same issue (of people jawing during a movie) with my mother in law, but instead of good bourbon being drained of, it is usually my good wine! Thankfully we only see her once a year.

Sorry you had to go through that Kenobi! Hey shouldn't the guest being something to drink if you are hosting a movie night?
post #7609 of 9790
39. Cockneys vs Zombies. Great start. Weak middle. Great ending. Likeable characters help push this middle of the road z flick into "like" territory. Effects are just OK but the dialogue was good. There are way worse z flicks out there. FTV 3 stars

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 95

This movie has:

Guns, guns, guns.
A really hard headed zombie.
Old folks fighting zombies.
Weak CG but good writing.
post #7610 of 9790
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

Last night was a frustrating night with my sister in-law who has been doing the pop-in with her new boyfriend. The guy is nice enough but dammit man when the lights go down and the movie is on SHUTTHEHELLUP! I had planned on a double feature last night watching REC and REC2 but since some folks are incapable of reading and watching I was asked to put on The Fourth Kind as my wife thought it would really scare here sister. After it was over she was like "that wasn't as scary as I thought it would be" and I said, "well its more effective when your not jawing through half the movie" mad.gif Today I realized he drank the last of my Jim Beam as well... talking during a horror film and drinking my bourbon... that's a good way to end up as fertilizer in my backyard son.

This is what you do. Place a couple of shrunken heads around the house in conspicuous places. When the boyfriend is over again and asks, "what do you have them for", simply say, "those were the LAST guests who talked during my movie and drank my bourbon." (NOTE: Do not smile while talking.) wink.gif
post #7611 of 9790
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post

I have the same issue (of people jawing during a movie) with my mother in law, but instead of good bourbon being drained of, it is usually my good wine! Thankfully we only see her once a year.

Sorry you had to go through that Kenobi! Hey shouldn't the guest being something to drink if you are hosting a movie night?
He brought a 24 pack og Bud which I like but left with what wasn't consumed rolleyes.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudge981 View Post

This is what you do. Place a couple of shrunken heads around the house in conspicuous places. When the boyfriend is over again and asks, "what do you have them for", simply say, "those were the LAST guests who talked during my movie and drank my bourbon." (NOTE: Do not smile while talking.) wink.gif
Not a bad idea! Maybe I'll just remove his tongue

For anyone interested in some last minute blind buys amazon has the new Maniac for $10! I'd say it is worth having at that price.
post #7612 of 9790
Quote:
Originally Posted by smudge981 View Post

This is what you do. Place a couple of shrunken heads around the house in conspicuous places. When the boyfriend is over again and asks, "what do you have them for", simply say, "those were the LAST guests who talked during my movie and drank my bourbon." (NOTE: Do not smile while talking.) wink.gif
Try running a dry home theater,lock up the alcohol. Announce that there will discussion on the movies after the showing and then, and only then will
alcohol be allowed. So if they want to drink they have to pay attention. Devious, but whatever works....biggrin.gif
post #7613 of 9790
First time viewing Trick r Treat (2009). To those who have stated how good this film is (back among the pages of this really long thread), I agree. Fun,horror, and actually funny at times. A solid entry in what I would call the Joe Dante school of horror. smile.gif
post #7614 of 9790
Morpheo, wow do I love that garage door Halloween decoration!!!! I bet when i was in my house my HOA would not have allowed that!! But its great great great!!!

Now that I am in a condo building I cant do anything, not even allowed to do anything on the balcony, and our balcony is a whole room.

Hey, speaking of my balcony, the other day my wife screamed for me to come into the living room and look thru the sliding glass doors out onto the bacony. There was a giant bird on it, she thought it was a vulture. I looked, it was a really big HAWK!!!! Wow, that sucker was neat. Except i wouldnt have wanted to have been sitting out there when he flew in!!!! He sat on the arm of a love seat out there for awhile, then moved and sat on the balcony railing for awhile, then finally flew away. Boy, a real life scary moment for the month of October!!! Super neat, but again, if you saw its beak and claws, geez, you wouldnt want to be out there when it was there!!!
post #7615 of 9790
Quote:
Originally Posted by smudge981 View Post

For anyone who doesn't have the series, Amazon JUST announced the seven picture "Nightmare On Elm Street" collection on blu-ray for $26.
That's a steal! Thanks for the heads-up!
post #7616 of 9790
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

He brought a 24 pack og Bud which I like but left with what wasn't consumed rolleyes.gif

Classy.

yankee, there are some huge hawks near the highway entrance I take to work, those suckers are as big as dogs with wings! You look into their eyes, there's no life there, like a doll's eyes...
post #7617 of 9790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob McLaughlin View Post

You look into their eyes, there's no life there, like a doll's eyes...

Bob "Shaw" McLaughlin biggrin.gif
post #7618 of 9790
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post



Last night was a frustrating night with my sister in-law who has been doing the pop-in with her new boyfriend. The guy is nice enough but dammit man when the lights go down and the movie is on SHUTTHEHELLUP! I had planned on a double feature last night watching REC and REC2 but since some folks are incapable of reading and watching I was asked to put on The Fourth Kind as my wife thought it would really scare here sister. After it was over she was like "that wasn't as scary as I thought it would be" and I said, "well its more effective when your not jawing through half the movie" mad.gif Today I realized he drank the last of my Jim Beam as well... talking during a horror film and drinking my bourbon... that's a good way to end up as fertilizer in my backyard son.
Get a bag of lime and a shovel and place them outside on the front porch.
When they ask, well, you know what to tell 'em....wink.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeman View Post

Morpheo, wow do I love that garage door
Hey, speaking of my balcony, the other day my wife screamed for me to come into the living room and look thru the sliding glass doors out onto the bacony. There was a giant bird on it, she thought it was a vulture. I looked, it was a really big HAWK!!!! Wow, that sucker was neat. Except i wouldnt have wanted to have been sitting out there when he flew in!!!! He sat on the arm of a love seat out there for awhile, then moved and sat on the balcony railing for awhile, then finally flew away. Boy, a real life scary moment for the month of October!!! Super neat, but again, if you saw its beak and claws, geez, you wouldnt want to be out there when it was there!!!
In the summer l live in what is Raptor Central....just about every species in North America comes thru.

Hawks are nothing in size, when compared to a mature female Bald Eagle....even I keep a respectable distance.eek.gif
post #7619 of 9790
I love these Eagle vs Wolf and Eagle vs Goat videos.


post #7620 of 9790
That was a very small wolf....likely just a pup.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion › October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....)