or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion › October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....) - Page 266

post #7951 of 9794
I'm very tempted by a Byzantium blind buy tonight... Has any of you seen it?

...Gemma Arterton, Saoirce Ronan, Tom Hollander (POTC's bad guy) and most importantly Neil Jordan (Interview with The Vampire is still a favorite of mine / if only they had used the original Stones' version of Sympathy For The Devil instead of the lame GN'R cover...but that's for another discussion smile.gif)...all 3 of them are putting a lot of pressure on me right now wink.gif
post #7952 of 9794
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

I'm really enjoying it so far. I made that comment in jest just for AVS. There's a Carrie thread where they are hating the remake sight unseen.

Ah, I see. I suppose its too late to apologize for ripping you in the Maniac thread then biggrin.gif
post #7953 of 9794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post

I forgot about that show. I've been focused on movies this month so I haven't been watching much network TV. I just stared streaming it on my Roku. It's playing very well from the NBC channel plugin in Plex.

I finally watched "Dracula" on Hulu+ on my BD player. It still gave me an error last night on Chromecast but then I noticed there was yet another update for the Android Hulu+ app and maybe it'll solve that problem. The PQ on the BD player wasn't that good. I like the premise though: Dracula vs the Dragon Society. It's also available on the NBC website.
post #7954 of 9794
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloCreed View Post

Ah, I see. I suppose its too late to apologize for ripping you in the Maniac thread then biggrin.gif

Rip on, good sir.
post #7955 of 9794
For any gamers Steam Sale is on.

http://store.steampowered.com/sale/halloween2013
post #7956 of 9794
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzack View Post

You might Oink this one buddy!tongue.gif
DON'T tell me that!
I have already been accused of having a "hair trigger" on bad Horror Films.biggrin.gif
post #7957 of 9794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob McLaughlin View Post

Wiz, that frame and poster are excellent! Nice work.

Smudge, an alien crash scene has been on my wish list for years! I wonder how they made the ship?

This list of 30 "forgotten" horror films might interest some people...

http://www.buzzfeed.com/louispeitzman/forgotten-horror-films-you-should-revisit?s=mobile

That list of 30 movies, NAIL GUN MASSACRE AND EXORCIST III look good!!
post #7958 of 9794
Last night was -
35- The Haunting in Connecticut – 2009 FTV. Pretty basic PG13 nice family in a, what appears to be, mean haunted house routine. Reminded me of the kids movie Monster House , but not as scary.
This movie has-

Lots of back story
Creepy, black and white, old, family pictures
Coincidental meeting of nice priest that just happens to be an expert on this kind of thing
Odor resistant drywall
2.75 PG13, generic Zombies

No more lame movies, and am only kicking a$$ for the rest of the month! tongue.gif


My October 2013 list
1- No One Lives -2012 FTV. 3 Psycho Zombies
2- Cockneys Vs Zombies – 2012 FTV 3.5 Cockney Zombies
3- Juan of the Dead – 2011 FTV. 3 dissident Zombies
4- Shaun of the Dead – 2004. 4 British Zombies
5- SPECIES II – 1998. 3.5 procreating Zombies
6- HALLOWEEN Rob Zombie style – 2007 FTV. 3 knife wielding Zombies
7- American Mary – 2013 FTV. 3 Modified Zombies
8- The Demented - 2012 FTV. -3.5 STINKER OF THE YEAR Zombies
9- Cemetery Man - 1994 FTV. 3 dinner plate Zombies
10- Trick r Treat – 2007. 4.5 old fashioned Zombies
11- OTIS – 2007 FTV. 4 no date to the prom Zombies
12- MANBORG – 2011 FTV. 5 ridiculously awesome Zombies
13- Frankenstein's Army - 2013 FTV. 4 Frankenstein Zombies
14- Vampire Hunter D: BLOODLUST – 2000 FTV. 4 Ghibli Zombies
15- Thale – 2013 FTV. 3 coulda shoulda woulda Zombies.
16- The skin I live in – FTV. 3 cringing Zombies
17- Evil Dead – 2013 FTV. 4 self amputee Zombies
18- The amazing adventures of the living corpse – 2013 FTV. 2 not amazing Zombies
19- PACIFIC RIM – 2013 FTV. 4.75 big ass Zombies
20- JEEPERS CREEPERS II – 2003. 3.5 creeper Zombies
21- Mum & Dad – 2008 FTV. 3 sadistic Zombies
22- Prince of Darkness – 1987. 3.25 Zombies with high wasted jeans
23- Mother’s Day 2010 FTV. 3.5 loving, nurturing, caring Zombies
24- DOOM - 2005. 4 gamer Zombies
25- PACIFIC RIM – 2013. 4.75 big ass Zombies
26-The Deadly Spawn – 1983 FTV. 2.5 50’s Zombies
27- Freddy Vs Jason 2003. 3.5 basic Zombies
28- V/H/S 2 2013 FTV. 3 better than nothing Zombies
29- Videodrome 1983 FTV. 3 S&M Zombies
30- The Monster Squad – 1987 FTV. 3 foul mouthed, tweener Zombies
31- Lost Boys – the thirst 2010 FTV. 3 Wayne’s World Zombies
32- The Collection – 2012 FTV. 3.5 collecting Zombies
33- Terror Train – 1980. 3 young Jaimie Lee Curtis Zombies
34- Piranha Part II – the spawning – 1980 FTV. 3 80’s trash Zombies
35- The Haunting in Connecticut – 2009 FTV. 2.75 PG13, generic Zombies
post #7959 of 9794
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzack View Post

Oh cool. I'm gonna try and track down a theater showing it. Slow's OK by me.
BEHOLD.....the official 2013 yankeeman horror viewing enjoyment graph:

Haha, that's awesome!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob McLaughlin View Post

30. The Tunnel (FTV)
Investigative journalists venture into the labyrinthine system of tunnels beneath Sidney Australia, seeking a story about the homeless and the water supply, but something in the darkness finds them instead. Although done on the cheap as yet another "found footage" film/documentary, reminiscent of The Blair Witch Project, The Tunnel delivers some effective tension and scares. One mistake is the use of interviews with the crew after the fact, because this cues us as to who is going to survive, although there's still intrigue in seeing how things play out. The real star here is the setting, which are miles of quite real tunnels, which ratchets up the realism and claustrophobia considerably. It's amazing to think of these miles of old tunnels beneath the modern city, and while it's never as overt as "Midnight Meat Train", there's very much the sense that progress has come at a price which officials rightfully want to keep hidden. This is a very dark film and fans of The Descent will find much to like here, even though this is the poorer cousin of that film. Some might complain that it's hard to see what's really down there, but to me that just made it better. 3.5 out of 5 stars.

Bob's October 2013 Horror Movie List
FTV denotes first time viewing
1. Some Guy Who Kills People (FTV)
2. Uzumaki (FTV)
3. The Pact (2011) (FTV)
4. Midnight Son (FTV)
5. Excision (FTV)
6. Absentia (FTV)
7. Sleep Tight (FTV)
8. Lunacy (FTV)
9. Frankenstein's Army (FTV)
10. The Woman in Black (FTV)
11. Color Me Blood Red (FTV)
12. Chained (FTV)
13. Frankenweenie
14. Mum and Dad (FTV)
15. Malevolence (FTV)
16. V/H/S/2 (FTV)
17. Juan of the Dead (FTV)
18. The Awakening (FTV)
19. Blood and Black Lace (FTV)
20. Naboer (Next Door) (FTV)
21. Carrie (2013) (FTV)
22. Eye of the Devil (FTV)
23. Splinter (FTV)
24. The Shining (1980)
25. Taxidermia (FTV)
26. Poltergeist
27. Maniac (FTV)
28. Hotel Transylvania (FTV)
29. Eden Lake (FTV)
30. The Tunnel (FTV)
I disliked the Tunnel more than you did but for the same reasons you marked it down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloCreed View Post

Oh man. Really?? One of my favs this month.


Last night's flick....

29. No One Lives (2012)- {3.25/5} Blu-ray (First-time viewing) This was another blind buy for this year’s Horrorfest and overall, it was mostly an enjoyable flick. The tale centers on a mysterious couple who have a run in at a diner with a group of rough and tough criminals. They eventually end up being taken “hostage” by these guys and the story quickly takes a few turns that ends up flipping the script a little on the perpetrators. It kinda reminded me of a horror version of Rambo. The storyline was definitely fun and unique but it could have been executed a little better and there were a few things that were pretty damn outrageous. There was certainly no shortage of blood and gore though. They went all out in that regard which was cool to watch. The acting was hit and miss as some characters did a good job while others seemed to either struggle with acting altogether or were just forcing it too much (Lee Tergeson, I’m talking to you). In the end, this was still a good addition to this year’s list and I would recommend giving it a whirl if you haven’t seen it yet.
I just added this to my nf but will probably not get to it until after Halloween... looks interesting from the trailer though!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheo View Post

I'm very tempted by a Byzantium blind buy tonight... Has any of you seen it?

...Gemma Arterton, Saoirce Ronan, Tom Hollander (POTC's bad guy) and most importantly Neil Jordan (Interview with The Vampire is still a favorite of mine / if only they had used the original Stones' version of Sympathy For The Devil instead of the lame GN'R cover...but that's for another discussion smile.gif)...all 3 of them are putting a lot of pressure on me right now wink.gif
It was worth watching, had a great score and some cool flashback scenes but all in all I expected better from NJ. I'm fairly certain it was free of religious content so should be a kryptonite free experience for Morpheo wink.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

For any gamers Steam Sale is on.

http://store.steampowered.com/sale/halloween2013
I guess I'm not really a gamer because I have no idea what this is confused.gif
post #7960 of 9794
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

DON'T tell me that!
I have already been accused of having a "hair trigger" on bad Horror Films.biggrin.gif

Dropped this way down my queue based on reviews here. Setup really appealed to me, but I am easily drawn in by dvd covers so not saying much.
post #7961 of 9794
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

I'm fairly certain it was free of religious content so should be a kryptonite free experience for Morpheo wink.gif

Oh man what have I done what have I done?? wink.gif

(thanks for the recommendation....or warning...or.... maybe I'll rent it first! smile.gif)
post #7962 of 9794
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeman View Post

That list of 30 movies, NAIL GUN MASSACRE AND EXORCIST III look good!!

+1 On the Exorcist 3, I never seen Nail Gun Massacre. The Entity is good, Sweet Alice and Slugs are good too!
post #7963 of 9794
October 27th:

38. Creepshow - 4 cake zombies
It's pretty hard to follow the success of The Conjuring so I had to dig into a different brand of horror and it delivered as always. I deduct one point for the meteor story with Stephen King which I usually skip because I can't stand it. Fortunately The Crate makes up for the other shortcomings! 4 cake zombies

October 28th:

39. Suspiria - 4.5 witch zombies
This is another reason to have a region b bluray player, the transfer is not the best but the audio is fantastic and while the color palette is off it is still a huge improvement from the DVD. Although the movie had plenty of cheese and some lousy acting the music, set design, and colors more than make for distraction. 4.5 witch zombies

40. Return of the Living Dead (1985) - 5 brain-eating zombies
This was my first time viewing my B locked version with the original mono track and I have to say it was a great experience. I really enjoyed the mono track more than I thought I would. Although the makeup was pretty bad the animatronic work on the female torso zombie and some of the other practical effects were great. One of my favorite z flicks and a super fun one to boot! 5 brain-eating zombies
post #7964 of 9794
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post

+1 On the Exorcist 3, I never seen Nail Gun Massacre. The Entity is good, Sweet Alice and Slugs are good too!
Exorcist III is awesome. Its crazy that most folks haven't even seen it.
post #7965 of 9794
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloCreed View Post

Exorcist III is awesome. Its crazy that most folks haven't even seen it.
I think I have but it would have been when it was new to vhs tongue.gif I recall the second one being really bad, could I skip to III and watch it without remembering II and not be lost?
post #7966 of 9794
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

October 27th:

38. Creepshow - 4 cake zombies
It's pretty hard to follow the success of The Conjuring so I had to dig into a different brand of horror and it delivered as always. I deduct one point for the meteor story with Stephen King which I usually skip because I can't stand it. Fortunately The Crate makes up for the other shortcomings! 4 cake zombies

October 28th:

39. Suspiria - 4.5 witch zombies
This is another reason to have a region b bluray player, the transfer is not the best but the audio is fantastic and while the color palette is off it is still a huge improvement from the DVD. Although the movie had plenty of cheese and some lousy acting the music, set design, and colors more than make for distraction. 4.5 witch zombies

40. Return of the Living Dead (1985) - 5 brain-eating zombies
This was my first time viewing my B locked version with the original mono track and I have to say it was a great experience. I really enjoyed the mono track more than I thought I would. Although the makeup was pretty bad the animatronic work on the female torso zombie and some of the other practical effects were great. One of my favorite z flicks and a super fun one to boot! 5 brain-eating zombies

Is that ROTLD the one with the REAL soundtrack?
post #7967 of 9794
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post


I guess I'm not really a gamer because I have no idea what this is confused.gif

Holiday sale on spooooooky games.
post #7968 of 9794
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

Is that ROTLD the one with the REAL soundtrack?
that it is sir
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

Holiday sale on spooooooky games.
for what console?
post #7969 of 9794
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloCreed View Post

Exorcist III is awesome. Its crazy that most folks haven't even seen it.
George C Scott and the dude that plays Chucky's voice, how could it not be awesome!
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

I think I have but it would have been when it was new to vhs tongue.gif I recall the second one being really bad, could I skip to III and watch it without remembering II and not be lost?

Skip The Heretic and watch the Exorcist 3! It has some decent scares and creepiness! I also rented this on VHS years ago when I first watched it.
post #7970 of 9794
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

that it is sir
for what console?

Oh PC. That console.
post #7971 of 9794
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

Oh PC. That console.

I have been dancing back and forth whether or not to keep my PS4 order, but seeing BF4 MP has certainly swayed me to keep it. BF4 will even have a 'practice' area to learn how to fly choppers and planes. PC will be superior PQ wise but for a $400 console I don't think it looks bad at all.
Edited by BornSlippyZ - 10/29/13 at 2:09pm
post #7972 of 9794
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post

I have been dancing back and forth whether or not to keep my PS4 order, but seeing BF4 MP has certainly swayed me to keep it. BF4 will even have a 'practice' area to learn how to fly choppers and planes. PC will be superior PQ wise but for a $400 console I don't think it looks bad at all.
I could never get into PC gaming... superior graphics just cant contend with the experience from my sofa on a 65" plasma with 5.1 or 7.1. That said I canceled my PS4 order yesterday and will likely cancel my xbox order as well. Watching the COD Ghosts MP just looks like more of the same and I'm burned out. Maybe when Titanfall hits I will grab one of the two but for now I don't have the time or the money to waste on gaming. I've enjoyed the little bit that I have played GTA V but really feel like I am finally starting to be done with gaming... the passion just hasn't been there and I have not missed being online since my Live gold membership expired 6 weeks ago.
post #7973 of 9794
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

I could never get into PC gaming... superior graphics just cant contend with the experience from my sofa on a 65" plasma with 5.1 or 7.1. That said I canceled my PS4 order yesterday and will likely cancel my xbox order as well. Watching the COD Ghosts MP just looks like more of the same and I'm burned out. Maybe when Titanfall hits I will grab one of the two but for now I don't have the time or the money to waste on gaming. I've enjoyed the little bit that I have played GTA V but really feel like I am finally starting to be done with gaming... the passion just hasn't been there and I have not missed being online since my Live gold membership expired 6 weeks ago.

I use to love COD up until I played BF3 and just had a ball playing it. I will admit I wasn't sure how much time I was going to dedicate to games this winter, but I do 'need' another console with bD/internet features for when I cut the satellite cord (if that makes sense rolleyes.gif).
post #7974 of 9794
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

I liked the Mist, not a fan of the ending though.

This was the original ending:

http://youtu.be/irsMogywHR0
post #7975 of 9794
I just finished up Prince of Darkness for the first time in over a decade. I think it could have been Carpenter's masterpiece with some small changes. There is some creepy stuff at the end but Donald Pleasence's character should have been more heavily involved.
post #7976 of 9794
OK, I've watched more movies and feel compelled to post. biggrin.gif Hopefully you guys don't think my ratings are wacked!


10/25 - Zombieland (2009) - I really enjoyed this one, it's a great mix of comedy with some horror in the form of zombies. The main characters are great, especially Woody Harrelson. I had several laugh out loud moments with this movie. The rules of survival pop-ups that would come on the screen at various points were funny too and just the story and flow of this movie was excellent. Highly recommended, this is a good example of how comedy should be done. 4.5/5

10/26 - Van Helsing (2004) - Van Helsing sets out to find and kill dracula and in his journeys comes across Frankenstein's Monster and the Wolfman. The movie has a good setting and scenery and the action is definitely there, but maybe I went into this with the wrong expectations or maybe I just didn't "get it" because I thought the feel of this movie would be more like the old Universal classic monster movies with characters that would act in the same manner. Instead I found it to be a lot more style than substance and generally a disappointment. 2.25/5

10/27 - Pumpkinhead (1988) - A loving father's son is accidentally killed by youths riding on dirt bikes. In response, the father seeks out a witch of local legend who is not able to resurrect his son as he originally hoped, but offers to summon a demon creature known as Pumpkinhead to take revenge on the youths and their friends. This movie is fairly ordinary and predictable for the most part, but it also has a good flow and kills. In the end, I categorize this as one of those movies you only really need to see once and anything beyond that is a bonus. 2.75/5

10/28 - The Rage - Carrie 2 (1999) - I should point out immediately that the main character in this movie is named Rachel and not Carrie. However, both girls possess the same powers through their bloodlines. Rachel is an unpopular type at her high school. Without giving things away, certain group of students pretend to be friends with her and eventually set her up to be humiliated. Rachel gets her revenge after that! Contrary to popular opinion, I liked this movie. It's not best picture of the year material or anything like that, but the story is well thought out and the film moves along at a respectable pace. 3.25/5

10/28 - REC (2007) - I went into this movie knowing next to nothing about it. It was shorter than I expected and different than I expected, but I really liked it. I made sure that it was dark outside and I turned off all of the lights before watching and I was glad I did. I'm not going to make any specific comments about the movie lest the surprise be taken away, but there were a few key scenes in this movie and the level of terror and desperation increased right to the end. I was startled on a few occasions and definitely had goosebumps watching this. It takes a little bit to get going but is well worth it. Genuinely scary. 4.25/5

10/28 - The Haunting (1963) - This is a movie that I've meant to see in full for several years now. A doctor is trying to find evidence of the supernatural and is given the opportunity to rent out Hill House to conduct experiments to try to prove or disprove their existence. Three other people are present, but the story mostly focuses on Eleanor who is uptight, sensitive and distracted throughout the film. The house does indeed prove to be haunted but I will leave it at that. This is a pretty good 1960's horror movie but I think it probably would have a greater impact on me if I would have been around to watch it closer to it's original release date. 3.25/5


So tonight I plan to watch REC 2, then on Wednesday night I will watch Jacob's Ladder, and then my Halloween night movie after I get home from work is probably going to be The Pit And The Pendulum from 1961. Anything beyond that is a bonus. As with all previous years, I didn't get to everything I hoped to this year but had a great run and will be adding a few new horror movies to my collection over the next year. I've already got the ball rolling on that by picking up 1408, The Mist, Sinister, and Insidious. Plus I have other stuff already in my collection that I have not yet seen.
post #7977 of 9794
Quote:
Originally Posted by smudge981 View Post

This was the original ending:

http://youtu.be/irsMogywHR0

Interesting, thanks for this.

Hmm, one ending that craps all over the viewer and the other really isn't an ending. LOL
post #7978 of 9794
You may have heard of this. I didn't. Friend of mine pointed out a huge faux paus in "Halloween." So I went ahead and pulled it out and fired up the HT. Yep, sure enough. Even though the story takes place in Illinois, all the auto license plates...are California. Where have I been?
post #7979 of 9794
Quote:
Originally Posted by smudge981 View Post

You may have heard of this. I didn't. Friend of mine pointed out a huge faux paus in "Halloween." So I went ahead and pulled it out and fired up the HT. Yep, sure enough. Even though the story takes place in Illinois, all the auto license plates...are California. Where have I been?

Yep filmed in good ol' Pasadena!
post #7980 of 9794
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

Interesting, thanks for this.

Hmm, one ending that craps all over the viewer and the other really isn't an ending. LOL


The video is the book ending IIRC, but the other ending is what the director came up with, and approved by Stephen King.biggrin.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion › October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....)