or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion › October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....) - Page 278

post #8311 of 9814
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

We need to make a horror movie, Brian.wink.gif

I already pitched a badass one here.
post #8312 of 9814
Already fleshed out a script for a sci-fi movie whose premise has never been broached. I could easily throw in a horror element. I tell you what it is but I know how you gentlemen can't keep a secret (especially Oink when he drinks.) biggrin.gif
post #8313 of 9814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post

I've been looking for new holiday horror films this year and the pickin's seem slim. I came across his article about the small budget horror films and the lack of distribution they're getting:
http://www.thefilmcollaborative.org/blog/category/distribution-platformsindustry/netflix-distribution-platformsindustry/

Ouch.
post #8314 of 9814
"In Fear" sounds like it might be worth checking out!

http://www.empireonline.com/interviews/interview.asp?IID=1798
post #8315 of 9814
Here is the trailer
post #8316 of 9814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wytchone View Post

We must be close. 33 where I am. Glad I have a indoor job smile.gif
I always though that part of south was warmer, is this a cold year or fluke weather ?
post #8317 of 9814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post

I've been looking for new holiday horror films this year and the pickin's seem slim. I came across his article about the small budget horror films and the lack of distribution they're getting:
http://www.thefilmcollaborative.org/blog/category/distribution-platformsindustry/netflix-distribution-platformsindustry/
When you figure the amount of small distribution companies that have gone out of business in the last few years it's not surprising. All genres are affected not just horror. Then there is the luck factor, Paranormal Activity could have easily been a statistic if it wasn't seen by the right people. Best you can do around the holidays is catch up on all the horror films you didn't get to in October. frown.gif Not that catching up is sad mind you. smile.gif
post #8318 of 9814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob McLaughlin View Post

"In Fear" sounds like it might be worth checking out!

http://www.empireonline.com/interviews/interview.asp?IID=1798
You know you make an interesting horror film about making this kind of horror film. Hmmm...
post #8319 of 9814
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post

You know you make an interesting horror film about making this kind of horror film. Hmmm...
Make that you could make an interesting horror film...( fighting the ghost typist tonight rolleyes.gif )
post #8320 of 9814
Well Oink, we would need to come up with a "shootable" compelling script first. Then we get to compete with the 10 million millennials who are shooting films with DSLRs and even smart phones. YouTube brought the "democratization" of the arts. Back in the day even a "B movie" was done by competent professionals. Now it's open to everybody and their dog, not that that's bad. A good documentary to watch about this is "PressPausePlay" which is available to watch on Vimeo.

We also have the "democratization" of software programming and so I am about to join the 10 million programmers who have Unity3D on their resume. biggrin.gif
post #8321 of 9814
Someone sent me this due to my love of the genre. Go ahead...you know you want to:

*
post #8322 of 9814
Quote:
Originally Posted by smudge981 View Post

Someone sent me this due to my love of the genre. Go ahead...you know you want to:

*
My fate is Smacked by Dracula while swimming alone...Errr....rolleyes.gif That aside this would be fun as a wall poster.
post #8323 of 9814
Knocked off by Lucille Ball on a gravel road.
post #8324 of 9814
Tickled to death by Norman Bates while lying in bed. Well, at least it didn't involve a machete.
post #8325 of 9814
Quote:
Originally Posted by smudge981 View Post

Tickled to death by Norman Bates while lying in bed. Well, at least it didn't involve a machete.
Machete doesn't do horror biggrin.gif
post #8326 of 9814
Argh,knocked off by Lucille Ball in a run down old house.Sounds kind of kinky,I'll take it. wink.gif
post #8327 of 9814
Eaten by Chucky because i forgot my flashlight!!!
post #8328 of 9814
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew24963 View Post

Argh,knocked off by Lucille Ball in a run down old house.Sounds kind of kinky,I'll take it. wink.gif
Kinky? I was sat on by Miley Cyrus while camping alone.
post #8329 of 9814
Tickled to,death by Mily Cyrus at cabin by the lake.
post #8330 of 9814
I was looking at new horror releases on Amazon Instant and watched the trailer for "Grabbers", which is touted as an "old fashioned monster movie". Then I went to Netflix WI and noticed it has been added there. I'll give it a whirl tonight after I finish up the 1972 film "Daughters of Satan" with Tom Selleck which I happened to also have in my Hulu queue except it was for web only. Good 70's schlock.

Not horror but I think some might like "The East" which I also watched having rented it on DVD from RB. It's also available rental on the usual suspects. It's a Brit Marling film with Alexander Skarsgard and Ellen Page. It was also co-produced by Ridley Scott and his later brother Tony. It's a great smart thriller that will make you think.
post #8331 of 9814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post

I was looking at new horror releases on Amazon Instant and watched the trailer for "Grabbers", which is touted as an "old fashioned monster movie". Then I went to Netflix WI and noticed it has been added there. I'll give it a whirl tonight after I finish up the 1972 film "Daughters of Satan" with Tom Selleck which I happened to also have in my Hulu queue except it was for web only. Good 70's schlock.

Not horror but I think some might like "The East" which I also watched having rented it on DVD from RB. It's also available rental on the usual suspects. It's a Brit Marling film with Alexander Skarsgard and Ellen Page. It was also co-produced by Ridley Scott and his later brother Tony. It's a great smart thriller that will make you think.

You should enjoy Grabbers if you like Troll Hunter, Attack The Block, Critters, etc. It's definitely an "old fashioned" creature feature.
post #8332 of 9814
Grabbers sounds good. Is already in my NF queue, iirc, available on disc in a few weeks?

FTV'd Primal last night. Good solid 80 minutes. Nothing ground breaking, but fairly tense, and well made for the budget etc. Another solid foriegn flic with good Aussie actors. Satisfying action and ends with a really funny line that was set up earlier in the movie, that I had forgot all about. 3.5 bad teeth zombies.
post #8333 of 9814
I enjoyed "Grabbers" all in SuperHD and DD+ (and hey it was even a Saturday night). The monsters picked the wrong island to attack. I also liked the homage to "Gremlins." Four tentacles.
post #8334 of 9814
Finally got to see The Conjuring. That was a movie I really enjoyed. And a full moon for good measure.4 clapping dark entities. Yeah, I'm late to the party but better late than never.
post #8335 of 9814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post

Kinky? I was sat on by Miley Cyrus while camping alone.
Good way to get gonasifaherpaaids
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

Grabbers sounds good. Is already in my NF queue, iirc, available on disc in a few weeks?

FTV'd Primal last night. Good solid 80 minutes. Nothing ground breaking, but fairly tense, and well made for the budget etc. Another solid foriegn flic with good Aussie actors. Satisfying action and ends with a really funny line that was set up earlier in the movie, that I had forgot all about. 3.5 bad teeth zombies.
Agreed, adding to queue!
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew24963 View Post

Finally got to see The Conjuring. That was a movie I really enjoyed. And a full moon for good measure.4 clapping dark entities. Yeah, I'm late to the party but better late than never.
Nice! I think it is pretty much unanimous (in this thread) that The Conjuring was a solid entry into the genre and will likely be in regular rotation for October.
post #8336 of 9814
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

Good way to get gonasifaherpaaids

Exactly! I can cross "get a STD from a celebrity" off my bucket list now. I'm not a Miley Cyrus fan but I'll take it. It could have been something truly horrific like "Sneezed on by Andy Dick in a public restroom".
post #8337 of 9814
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post

I always though that part of south was warmer, is this a cold year or fluke weather ?
It gets cold down here. Snows about once every 4 to 7 years. Not a fluke just uncommon. today its back to 75. it will be back to the 40s this weekend.

<-- Fyi just outside of New Orleans.
post #8338 of 9814
I'm really into this season of AHS and watched The Craft to feed my fix. It's a great flick that had actual Witches approve the spells and other witchy things. It's weakest point is the soundtrack being so 90's which isn't bad but there was a point in the 90's when the soundtracks of movies became a big deal and extra effort was made to sell a record. Another example was Spawn. Sometimes it just felt the movies of the 90's were just music videos. Still, The Craft is really decent movie.
post #8339 of 9814
Last night I watched a weird Czech horror/black comedy from 1968 called "The Cremator". This is an excellent film, especially if you like New Wave films of the 60's, but it's not going to be to everyone's tastes, it's not traditional horror at all, but the content (particularly the cumulative effect by the end) can be classified as horrifying. It concerns a crematorium operator during the 1930's, obsessed with death and cremation, and the slow but steady encroachment of the Nazi party, and its effect on the man and his family. This is some of the best black and white filmography I've seen in years, the film looks beautiful.
Good write-up by DVD Savant here...
http://www.dvdtalk.com/dvdsavant/s2875crem.html
post #8340 of 9814
Just had this sent to me. Wrong on so many levels:

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion › October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....)