or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion › October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....) - Page 297

post #8881 of 9776
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

Juliana Moore was pretty scary in her own way.
Ms. Moore is a helluva actress...one of our best IMO.wink.gif
post #8882 of 9776
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Ms. Moore is a helluva actress...one of our best IMO.wink.gif

I'm a fan for sure. She would probably have been a great Carrie in her younger days.
post #8883 of 9776
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Was I right about watching the movie from the bathroom scene until the sinking bar scene?
Inquiring minds want to know...
Yeah, well even that wasn't enough. smile.gif

Pegg was great in Hot Fuzz and Shaun, but the writing was soo much better. The pre bathroom scenes should have been the strength of the movie establishing the characters etc. Here they all seemed too similar to me and Pegg was not as likeable, and believable, as he was in Shaun. The robot naming conversations were fun but the bathroom scene, and most other fight scenes, quickly became tedious when it became obvious they were just there as no risk fodder for our physically imposing heroes...I know it is a satire, but it comes off as similar to Shaun with the group, walking adventures but just doesn't have the charm or believability for me. Certainly some funny lines, but I own Hot Fuzz and Shaun and this is way below those two. Rosamund Pike is one of my favorite actresses and even she is able to bring little to this. Even the drinking elements were not as funny as one might have hoped for - and I love drinking elements. smile.gif It's a 90 minute rental, but since it is somehow tied in with Shaun and Fuzz I was hoping it might be a little better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

When I was an angsty teen the nudity was a plus for sure. I think she did a good job being dressed down and Juliana Moore was pretty scary in her own way.
The ONLY reason I prefer nudity scenes is the thematic and plot progression elements they provide. We all know the main, or surviving female character, is never involved with any real nudity scene as her chaste demeanor is what enables her to survive...rolleyes.gif
post #8884 of 9776
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

She would probably have been a great Carrie in her younger days.
Oh yeah.smile.gif
post #8885 of 9776
For a double cheesy pizza night "Amityville 3D" was on the agenda. I think I did see it like years ago (possibly on VHS in the 80s). The Netflix stream seemed to have some remaining artifacts of the original 3D as there was some blue and red fringing on some things that shouldn't have been on a non-3D print. I kept expecting Woody Allen to show up and straighten out the Tony Roberts character.

For Heard fans, it's not horror, but give "Syrup" a spin on NF WI. It made me a Max Barry fan and now I have to read "Jennifer Government" which is a sci-fi novel which was optioned for a movie back at the beginning of the century but returned to Barry. Sounds like it those with the option (Soderbergh and Clooney) may have chickened out because of it's subject matter. His "Mechanical Man" is in post production. Barry does a brutally great critique of our crap commercialistic society. With "Syrup" it's about the marketing aspect.
post #8886 of 9776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post


For Heard fans, it's not horror, but give "Syrup" a spin on NF WI. It made me a Max Barry fan and now I have to read "Jennifer Government" which is a sci-fi novel which was optioned for a movie back at the beginning of the century but returned to Barry. Sounds like it those with the option (Soderbergh and Clooney) may have chickened out because of it's subject matter. His "Mechanical Man" is in post production. Barry does a brutally great critique of our crap commercialistic society. With "Syrup" it's about the marketing aspect.
This movie has been in my queue for awhile now...maybe I'll move it up.
post #8887 of 9776
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post


The ONLY reason I prefer nudity scenes is the thematic and plot progression elements they provide. We all know the main, or surviving female character, is never involved with any real nudity scene as her chaste demeanor is what enables her to survive...rolleyes.gif

Well then the original Carrie sucks. biggrin.gif
post #8888 of 9776
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

This movie has been in my queue for awhile now...maybe I'll move it up.

Added it to my queue a couple days ago. Looks very interesting.
post #8889 of 9776
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloCreed View Post

Added it to my queue a couple days ago. Looks very interesting.
Yeah, it really does.cool.gif
post #8890 of 9776
Recent horror-type pickups...

Cronos
The Devil's Backbone
District 9 (they are practically giving this BD away now!)
Circus of Horrors/Theatre of Death double feature
Sleep Tight
Night of the Comet
Picnic at Hanging Rock
The Kingdom (Lars Von Trier TV series)
Alice (Jan Svankmajer directed, not necessarily horror but really weird)
The Golden Voyage of Sinbad
post #8891 of 9776
Keeping my fingers crossed for Godzilla...surely it can't be as bad as the last one done in America.
post #8892 of 9776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob McLaughlin View Post

Keeping my fingers crossed for Godzilla...surely it can't be as bad as the last one done in America.
You shouldn't have said that....no doubt it will turn out to be the Kiss of Death for this movie.biggrin.gif
post #8893 of 9776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob McLaughlin View Post

Keeping my fingers crossed for Godzilla...surely it can't be as bad as the last one done in America.

I think my life would go on just fine if the Godzilla franchise quit churning out a reimaged repitile. We've already had "Godzilla Lite" with the "Pacific Rim" movie from last year.
post #8894 of 9776
Quote:
Originally Posted by smudge981 View Post

I think my life would go on just fine if the Godzilla franchise quit churning out a reimaged repitile.
I hear ya.
Godzee without the silliness is just another monster movie.
Quote:
We've already had "Godzilla Lite" with the "Pacific Rim" movie from last year.
You are being too kind to PR.wink.gif
post #8895 of 9776
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

I hear ya.
Godzee without the silliness is just another monster movie.
You are being too kind to PR.wink.gif

One of my Christmas gifts. Finally got to watch it Friday night. Couldn't decide if they were being serious, doing a parody, or had no idea what they were doing. biggrin.gif
post #8896 of 9776
So last night was round 2 with The Conjuring. Significantly better this time around. Don't get me wrong, I thought it was very good to begin with........ but I think being able to leave out expectations and just relax and enjoy the movie made it much more effective. The majority of the time I'm able to leave expectations out of the equation when it comes to movies, but for some reason when I watched this one the first time I found myself analyzing too much which basically prevented me from getting into the "mood". I'm sure all the hype and anticipation on this forum probably fueled the issue. Anybody else have a different experience with this movie the second time around?
post #8897 of 9776
Quote:
Originally Posted by smudge981 View Post

One of my Christmas gifts. Finally got to watch it Friday night. Couldn't decide if they were being serious, doing a parody, or had no idea what they were doing. biggrin.gif
I don't know which, but definitely not a parody.
post #8898 of 9776
Apollo, that happens to me all the time. I watch so many movies with such high expectations that i think the movie is poor, but then on a second watch with low expectations i realize its really a good movie!

I do this so damn often, i know i do it, but cant always stop!!

Hey, every Wednesday in my condo rec room they show a movie, and this week its World War Z. My wife and i always go unless its a real crap movie, what the hell, its free and we get popcorn too! This will be great as she has no idea it has Zombies in it, but since its not really scary i think she can handle it, you know she has that damn horror-o-phobia!!!!
post #8899 of 9776
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloCreed View Post

So last night was round 2 with The Conjuring. Significantly better this time around. Don't get me wrong, I thought it was very good to begin with........ but I think being able to leave out expectations and just relax and enjoy the movie made it much more effective. The majority of the time I'm able to leave expectations out of the equation when it comes to movies, but for some reason when I watched this one the first time I found myself analyzing too much which basically prevented me from getting into the "mood". I'm sure all the hype and anticipation on this forum probably fueled the issue. Anybody else have a different experience with this movie the second time around?
It was a hit for me the first go... I went in with very moderate expectations and saw it opening day before the buzz. Ive watched it twice since and it has been just as enjoyable, especially with company that has yet to see it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeman View Post

Apollo, that happens to me all the time. I watch so many movies with such high expectations that i think the movie is poor, but then on a second watch with low expectations i realize its really a good movie!

I do this so damn often, i know i do it, but cant always stop!!

Hey, every Wednesday in my condo rec room they show a movie, and this week its World War Z. My wife and i always go unless its a real crap movie, what the hell, its free and we get popcorn too! This will be great as she has no idea it has Zombies in it, but since its not really scary i think she can handle it, you know she has that damn horror-o-phobia!!!!

Enjoy! That was a decent flick.

oink - take it easy on PR man, that was some solid HT goodness... don't make yodahulk mad

post #8900 of 9776
I liked PR but then again I like robot or monster movies that try and destroy the earth! Bring on Gojira 2014!


This past Saturday I gave my wife a choice of 5 movies she hasn't seen and she chose The Dark Knight Rises. I haven't seen this movie in a while and I really like how Nolan finished off the trilogy. Dunno how Affleck and company are going to top that.

Yankee, pretty cool that your condo does stuff like that! I have lived in condos before and never had that as a perk!
post #8901 of 9776
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeman View Post

i think she can handle it, you know she has that damn horror-o-phobia!!!!
LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

oink - take it easy on PR man, that was some solid HT goodness...
I don't doubt it is has "solid HT goodness."
GdT can be counted on delivering that.wink.gif

Quote:
don't make yodahulk mad

Sorry I am.biggrin.gif
post #8902 of 9776
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post

Yankee, pretty cool that your condo does stuff like that! I have lived in condos before and never had that as a perk!

Yeah its fun, once a week they do a movie with popcorn and soda, all free. Never used to get neat movies, but i complained to the powers to be and now at least lately we have had stuff like The Dark Knight Rises, Ironman III, and now WWZ. I doubt though if i can ever get them to put on a real horror movie, but again, i cant complain when its free i guess!
post #8903 of 9776
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloCreed View Post

So last night was round 2 with The Conjuring. Significantly better this time around. Don't get me wrong, I thought it was very good to begin with........ but I think being able to leave out expectations and just relax and enjoy the movie made it much more effective. The majority of the time I'm able to leave expectations out of the equation when it comes to movies, but for some reason when I watched this one the first time I found myself analyzing too much which basically prevented me from getting into the "mood". I'm sure all the hype and anticipation on this forum probably fueled the issue. Anybody else have a different experience with this movie the second time around?

I'm good at leaving expectations behind but also rarely rewatch things for a long while. I've seen The Conjuring twice and probably won't see it again on purpose for a while. I hate for things I like to become acceptable as background noise like Spike and Star Wars. My biggest joy on the second viewing was watching the wife react.
post #8904 of 9776
Watch this one last night:


This is a surprisingly good chiller.
I don't want to give too much away other than what is in the trailer (if you watch it, you'll know what I mean).

Acting is very good and has 2 very sweet hotties in big roles.
The suspense is palpable and there is a big twisty ending that works.

The Director does a fine job here.
Apparently all that's needed for a good film is good writing, acting, and a darkened house.

Other than some nasty EE at the beginning, the DVD is reasonable good.

I give this one 3 of 5 hoody-outfitted zombies.
post #8905 of 9776
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Watch this one last night:


This is a surprisingly good chiller.
I don't want to give too much away other than what is in the trailer (if you watch it, you'll know what I mean).

Acting is very good and has 2 very sweet hotties in big roles.
The suspense is palpable and there is a big twisty ending that works.

The Director does a fine job here.
Apparently all that's needed for a good film is good writing, acting, and a darkened house.

Other than some nasty EE at the beginning, the DVD is reasonable good.

I give this one 3 of 5 hoody-outfitted zombies.

Ha, the Heroes guy in another steamy film. Is he this generations Andrew Stevens?

He was getting naughty in The Divide and Kiss of the Damned and would be good to see him in a normal role?
I like Sara Paxton though and added to my queue.

Funny how good writing, and acting, can affect a movie...rolleyes.gif
post #8906 of 9776
All The Boys Love Mandy Lane inbound from nf... FTV tonight.
post #8907 of 9776
If you want a really annoying "found footage" film try "The Bell Witch Haunting".
post #8908 of 9776
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

oink - take it easy on PR man, that was some solid HT goodness...
Solid HT goodness indeed. Oink has his snob hat on...smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeman View Post

Apollo, that happens to me all the time. I watch so many movies with such high expectations that i think the movie is poor, but then on a second watch with low expectations i realize its really a good movie!

I do this so damn often, i know i do it, but cant always stop!!
Words to live by, but is so hard to keep your expectations in check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

All The Boys Love Mandy Lane inbound from nf... FTV tonight.
Go in with low expectations. Nothing really special or unique - other than Amber Heard. smile.gif
Just a decent old school slasher.
post #8909 of 9776
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

Solid HT goodness indeed. Oink has his snob hat on...smile.gif
Words to live by, but is so hard to keep your expectations in check.
Go in with low expectations. Nothing really special or unique - other than Amber Heard. smile.gif
Just a decent old school slasher.

Maybe oink only watched 20 minutes? wink.gif Actually I strongly believe oink would have more praise for movies if he had more patience for a well thought out punchline... if memory serves he was one of the few here who did not like or did not finish The Descent, required reading for members of this thread. P.s gotta ask but is your profile pic you or some form of mockery? biggrin.gif I've been hitting the gym about 1 1/2 - 2 hours 4-5 days a week for about 6 months or so and am feeling great. Starting to see some results as well, good stuff for an office beeotch.. the missus bought a juicer and am going to start working that in as well. I'm thinking the exercise and veggies will offset the bourbon and bacon eek.gifwink.gif

Ok so Mandy Lane... yeah hawt but kinda too young in this movie. The flick was pretty routine, not sure what all the fuss was about reading some of the older reviews but the wife and I enjoyed it enough. It was predictable and the transfer was an effing disaster but still worth a watch. I should have Prisoners next and am really looking forward to something requiring a bit more mental power.
post #8910 of 9776
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

Maybe oink only watched 20 minutes? wink.gif
As a matter of fact, I bought a ticket....and suffered thru PR.
I did want to walk out, but the wife forced me to sit until the end.mad.gif

Quote:
if memory serves he was one of the few here who did not like or did not finish The Descent, required reading for members of this thread
Your memory has failed you....I always have loved The Descent.

Quote:
P.s gotta ask but is your profile pic you or some form of mockery? biggrin.gif
OK, now you're just getting nasty....tongue.gif

Quote:
I've been hitting the gym about 1 1/2 - 2 hours 4-5 days a week for about 6 months or so and am feeling great. Starting to see some results as well, good stuff for an office beeotch.. the missus bought a juicer and am going to start working that in as well. I'm thinking the exercise and veggies will offset the bourbon and bacon eek.gifwink.gif
I don't want to nag....are you sure you got your priorities right?biggrin.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion › October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....)