or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › Event Horizon & More Paramount Catalog Dec 30th
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Event Horizon & More Paramount Catalog Dec 30th - Page 7

post #181 of 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

Wow! I just watched Event Horizon for the first time. How did I ever miss this title??? What a great movie! I am definitely going to add this to my collection, this ended up being much more of a horror flick than I thought it would be and had some impressively graphic scenes.

I missed this one too, and it became one of my favourites instantly. I've already watched it 3 times and plan to watch it again soon.

Gear mentioned in this thread:

post #182 of 211
this movie is terrible I think it ended sam neill's career
post #183 of 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladic View Post

this movie is terrible I think it ended sam neill's career

Thread, meet crap. Crap, meet thread...
post #184 of 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladic View Post

this movie is terrible I think it ended sam neill's career

Thank god you decided to enlighten us all with your in depth review and your opinion which matters so much to us all.

Event Horizon is awesome.
post #185 of 211
It is weird that I haven't seen him in anything since JP3.
post #186 of 211
At least Sam has had a good run in horror. Now when are we going to get In the Mouth of Madness on blu?
post #187 of 211
It obviously wasn't Event Horizon or Laurence Fishburn would be in the same boat.
post #188 of 211
It's funny people mentioning Sam Neill as it's his birthday today ( Mine's is two weeks today so everyone get the presents ready )

Looks like Sam has done a lot of television work in recent years including The Tudors and Merlin.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000554/
post #189 of 211
Just bought the Region B release of this film.

I have always kinda thought that there was a better film in there somewhere, and the special features do comfirm that to a certain degree. I wish that the missing elements could be found to do a proper re-cut, I think as it stands the film is about 15 minutes too short, I liked the briefing scene at the start which I think should be included (but probably re-edited), though apparently his first cut was 2hrs 10 minutes. Thats 35 minutes longer than the theatrical cut...

The Blu Ray disc itself is ok, I can tell its stretched a tad, the colours look a little off (everything has a blue hue to it, and I recorded a version off TV the other day and it wasn't this "blue" at all). If you compare the trailer to the film, I think you will see what the film should look like, the trailer looks gorgeous, very filmic, by comparison the film print looks washed out, artifically sharpened and stretched.

I hope there is enough demand to perhaps do whatever kind of recut they can manage and also sort the master out.
post #190 of 211
I just picked up Event Horizon on Blu. I went with the the one with the original cover art and upon watching it I noticed the image was vertically stretched and strange looking...
Just wondering if the re-issue corrected this problem or if it is simply the same disc with a fancy new cover...
post #191 of 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostman84 View Post

I just picked up Event Horizon on Blu. I went with the the one with the original cover art and upon watching it I noticed the image was vertically stretched and strange looking...
Just wondering if the re-issue corrected this problem or if it is simply the same disc with a fancy new cover...

It's just a new cover. Paramount recently changed up the cover art on several catalog titles.
post #192 of 211
The aspect ratio of Event Horizon has remained uncorrected for a very long time across multiple releases on multiple formats. At this point I wonder if it will ever actually be fixed. It's a shame too, as Paul W.S. Anderson's films go, Event Horizon was actually one of the better ones.
post #193 of 211
Yea I figured as much. It's his fluke-tastic one good movie....like M. Night's "Unbreakable" (yea I said it)
post #194 of 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostman84 View Post

Yea I figured as much. It's his fluke-tastic one good movie....like M. Night's "Unbreakable" (yea I said it)

You didn't like The Sixth Sense? That was great too. The other ones, well...
post #195 of 211
Event Horizon was creepy. Cool, but creepy. I blind bought the laserdisc way back when and just knew I'd have nightmares after watching it. Creepy movie.
post #196 of 211
E.H. was fairly overrated imo. It started decent enough but some cheesy action sequences near the end and over the top acting by Sam Neill sealed it's fate for me. Deadspace, a game you can pretty much define as E.H. the game is the better experience in my book.

Now, to stay on topic, is the stretching that apparent?
post #197 of 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111 View Post

Now, to stay on topic, is the stretching that apparent?

It bothers me. Same problem with Truman Show Blu.
post #198 of 211
I wonder how something like this got through without being corrected.
post #199 of 211
Just bought it yesterday. This is still a really creepy film even though i haven't watched it in years. Great performances from Sam Neill and and Lawrence Fishburne. Richard T. Jones(you may know him as James Ellison from Sarah Connor Chronicles) was a lot of fun to watch. The effects hold up pretty well too after so many years. The zero grav is looking as cool as ever. The bd has excellent pq for a medium budget sci-fi like this and great extras to boot. Paul W. Anderson's best film so far.
post #200 of 211
It's unfortunate because I really have a soft spot for this flick. I refuse to buy it until the correct the issue. As noted else where on that likelihood, I will never have this title.
post #201 of 211
Any comparison pics for the aspect ratio issue?
post #202 of 211
Hard to say exactly, but those shots are out there. I think you can see them on DVD Beaver. It's not TOO noticeable, but it is really apparent when you compare the two releases (one good, one bad).
post #203 of 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyMulder View Post

It's funny people mentioning Sam Neill as it's his birthday today ( Mine's is two weeks today so everyone get the presents ready )

Looks like Sam has done a lot of television work in recent years including The Tudors and Merlin.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000554/

Sam was really good in NBC's Crusoe mini last year. A bit dissapointed that one never made it to Blu.
post #204 of 211
This is one of my favorite horror movies and I finally bought it on BD. While the picture is sharp, it is way darker than the SD-DVD. When the characters come out of cryo-sleep it is as if the director of photography had all the lights off. The "dark skinned" character had almost no definition in his form as all you could see was a dark shape.

I saw this movie in the theater and still have the SD-DVD and can't believe that this version is what the director wanted us to see. Am I the only one who thinks this?

Greg
post #205 of 211
I didn't see anything unusual about the BD in terms of brightness.. the aspect ratio's off slightly, but everything else looked okay.
post #206 of 211
Oh great, so it's too dark AND the ratio is off.

I didn't notice when I watched it on BD, but I damn sure will now.
post #207 of 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Matty View Post

This is one of my favorite horror movies and I finally bought it on BD. While the picture is sharp, it is way darker than the SD-DVD. When the characters come out of cryo-sleep it is as if the director of photography had all the lights off. The "dark skinned" character had almost no definition in his form as all you could see was a dark shape.

I saw this movie in the theater and still have the SD-DVD and can't believe that this version is what the director wanted us to see. Am I the only one who thinks this?

Greg

If I understand you correctly you're saying there is black crush on the BD that is not present on the previous dvd, correct? Do you have the means to provide a screencap comparison by chance? It's just that I've read a lot of comments reviews/on the BD and this is the first I've ever heard of that issue (I'm aware of the slight vertical stretch, and am ok with it). Everything I've read seems to echo the color pallete/contrast more or less duplicates that of the previous Paramount 2-disc dvd (which makes sense, since clearly the same HD master was used for both). Are you sure it's not something with your settings, the result of different color space settings for SD/HD, etc? Also, which dvd version are you referring to? There was a barebones non-anamorphic release way back in the day, and later a 2-disc deluxe release, with which Paul Anderson was apparently extensively involved. Never had the old dvd but it wouldn't surprise me if color timing/contrast varies considerably between them, and presumably the transfer on the 2-disc and BD would be how Anderson wants it. Could be he always wanted the sequences in question darker.

Edit: Caps-a-holic comparison between the BD and 2-disc DVD. In every sample shot, color/contrast are identical
post #208 of 211
It's interesting looking at those shots in terms of the aspect ratio issue. Despite the stretch in the BD version, it looks like the DVD was actually worse. I never actually had the 2-disc set, I had the old non-anamorphic release, which is why I was so keen to get the BD in the first place. But yeah, color looks the same to me.
post #209 of 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkaline View Post

If I understand you correctly you're saying there is black crush on the BD that is not present on the previous dvd, correct? Do you have the means to provide a screencap comparison by chance? It's just that I've read a lot of comments reviews/on the BD and this is the first I've ever heard of that issue (I'm aware of the slight vertical stretch, and am ok with it). Everything I've read seems to echo the color pallete/contrast more or less duplicates that of the previous Paramount 2-disc dvd (which makes sense, since clearly the same HD master was used for both). Are you sure it's not something with your settings, the result of different color space settings for SD/HD, etc? Also, which dvd version are you referring to? There was a barebones non-anamorphic release way back in the day, and later a 2-disc deluxe release, with which Paul Anderson was apparently extensively involved. Never had the old dvd but it wouldn't surprise me if color timing/contrast varies considerably between them, and presumably the transfer on the 2-disc and BD would be how Anderson wants it. Could be he always wanted the sequences in question darker.

Edit: Caps-a-holic comparison between the BD and 2-disc DVD. In every sample shot, color/contrast are identical

Picture 3 in your link is the exact same scene I am referring to. Maybe my PJ setup is off but HD-DVD's and SD-DVD's look just fine. I'll point out that The Postman and Cliffhanger also appear much darker. In the case of The Postman it is for the better as the SD-DVD appears overexposed to me. There is an opening scene in Çliffhanger where Stallone is hanging below a cliff and there is a bright sky in the background and the area below the cliff is in shadow. The SD-DVD appears to favor the shadow region below the cliff and the BD version the highlights are preserved better. It is as if the contrast ratio is to great to be captured by either format and the SD-DVD goes for the shadows at the expense of highlights and BD saves highlights at the expense of the shadows.

I'll see if I can post something.

Greg
post #210 of 211
FWIW, my issue was with my Onkyo 809 needing a firmware upgrade. I don't know why it took me until today to test for this. Basically the HDMI signal was being processed by the 809 in such a manner as to make all my BD's seem dark and contrasty. Now they are almost too bright. I'll recalibrate but the 809 was certainly to blame for my woes.

Greg
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Software

Gear mentioned in this thread:

AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › Event Horizon & More Paramount Catalog Dec 30th