or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › Akira official release date JP + USA and details
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Akira official release date JP + USA and details - Page 2

post #31 of 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by someone else View Post

The 'core' of the thd 5.1 track is a dd 2.0 track (not thd 2.0 however). I am guessing that's the one your receiver decodes for some reason. Or maybe it just displays wrong. Have you checked if only 2.0 sound comes out?

Definitely only have sound coming out of FL & FR, I have a friend with the same player/receiver combination with the same problem.

The receiver is definitely receiving a THD signal as it is displaying THD but only 2ch.
post #32 of 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazz063 View Post

Definitely only have sound coming out of FL & FR, I have a friend with the same player/receiver combination with the same problem.

The receiver is definitely receiving a THD signal as it is displaying THD but only 2ch.

It might sound like your reciever does not accept 192khz 24-bit in 5.1. Many recievers only accept 192khz in two channels. They cut corners on the DA-Converters to minimize costs, and they don't see it as a problem since virtually all DTS-HD Ma, Dolby Tru-HD and PCM Multichannels are 48khz. The TrueHD track on Akria is the first 5.1 24-bit/192khz track I've seen (Except for the music-only Blu-Ray Trondheims-Solistene released in Norway).

Also some Blu-Ray Players cut corners with their CPU and handlig of excessively big audio-tracks. The aforementioned Music-only Blu-Ray release "Trondheims-Solistene", contains a whooping big-arse 192khz PCM track in 5.1. My Samsung BDP-1500 will only send it as PCM 2.0. But my PS3 sends it properly to my reciever as 5.1 192khz. I've got a Denon AVR-3808 Reciever and I can confirm that it will correctly handle 5.1 channels of 192khz content in both the True-HD, DTS-Ma and LPCM containers.

I can also confirm that Samsung BDP-1500 correctly bit-streams 192khz True-HD and DTS-HD Ma in 5.1.
But it can not, as previously mentioned, handle 5.1 LPCM in 192khz. You will only get two channels, regardless of what Reciever you have. It will however playback 5.1 and 7.1 channels of 48khz 5.1 tracks without any problem.
post #33 of 272
Kazz063 - What Reciever do you have..?
post #34 of 272
I own a BD35 but not the Akira disc yet, but I was going to suggest you try turning off the Secondary Audio option (I'd assume you have). Also, just checked and your player doesn't support Dolby TrueHD decoding internally :/

Thoughts on the disc PQwise?
post #35 of 272
PQ is pretty good. Although imo not among the best I've seen for cell anime even if this is a brand new transfer. Quality is rather inconsistent, it reaches very good quality at times, but mostly not.
post #36 of 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishiro View Post

It might sound like your reciever does not accept 192khz 24-bit in 5.1. Many recievers only accept 192khz in two channels. They cut corners on the DA-Converters to minimize costs, and they don't see it as a problem since virtually all DTS-HD Ma, Dolby Tru-HD and PCM Multichannels are 48khz. The TrueHD track on Akria is the first 5.1 24-bit/192khz track I've seen (Except for the music-only Blu-Ray Trondheims-Solistene released in Norway).

Also some Blu-Ray Players cut corners with their CPU and handlig of excessively big audio-tracks. The aforementioned Music-only Blu-Ray release "Trondheims-Solistene", contains a whooping big-arse 192khz PCM track in 5.1. My Samsung BDP-1500 will only send it as PCM 2.0. But my PS3 sends it properly to my reciever as 5.1 192khz. I've got a Denon AVR-3808 Reciever and I can confirm that it will correctly handle 5.1 channels of 192khz content in both the True-HD, DTS-Ma and LPCM containers.

I can also confirm that Samsung BDP-1500 correctly bit-streams 192khz True-HD and DTS-HD Ma in 5.1.
But it can not, as previously mentioned, handle 5.1 LPCM in 192khz. You will only get two channels, regardless of what Reciever you have. It will however playback 5.1 and 7.1 channels of 48khz 5.1 tracks without any problem.

I'll have to look at the manuals and see if there is any info there.

Ok have just looked at the Marantz manual and have found this:

• 192 kHz/24 bit DAC for all 8 Channels

So thankful for that/
post #37 of 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishiro View Post

Kazz063 - What Reciever do you have..?

Marantz SR7002.
post #38 of 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by luigionlsd View Post

I own a BD35 but not the Akira disc yet, but I was going to suggest you try turning off the Secondary Audio option (I'd assume you have). Also, just checked and your player doesn't support Dolby TrueHD decoding internally :/

Thoughts on the disc PQwise?

Secondary audio is definitely off.

The BD30 only bitstreams but my AVR decodes.

As for PQ I can't really comment, I didn't get very far in, unfortunately, I was too busy trying to sort out the audio problem, will let you know when I actually watch the whole thing.
post #39 of 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazz063 View Post

Hi guys, I have just received Akira but am having an audio playback problem.

I am playing it on a Panasonic BD30 running via HDMI into a Marantz SR7002 AVR.

The problem I am having is with getting 5.1 audio on the Japanese track, I should be getting:

Japanese: Dolby TrueHD 5.1
Japanese: PCM 2.0
English: Dolby TrueHD 5.1
Japanese: Dolby Digital 5.1

but am getting:

Japanese: Dolby TrueHD 2.0
Japanese PCM 2.0
English: TrueHD 5.1
Japanese: Dolby Digital 5.1

Is anyone else having a similar problem?
I am wondering if it is maybe player FW related.

Having same issue.
I mentioned it in another thread to no responses. I thought I had a defective disc.

Receiver is Onkyo 705
post #40 of 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtsguy View Post

Having same issue.
I mentioned it in another thread to no responses. I thought I had a defective disc.

Receiver is Onkyo 705


What player are you using?
post #41 of 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazz063 View Post

What player are you using?

Pioneer 95FD Elite

Sounds like I should hold off on exchanging this....your thoughts?
post #42 of 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtsguy View Post

Pioneer 95FD Elite

Sounds like I should hold off on exchanging this....your thoughts?


Probably no point in exchanging it just yet, if it's a disc fault it's likely to be in all of them.

I have a friend with his own copy having the same problem, on the same setup as I have, but as you are having the same problem on a completely different setup, it wouldn't appear that it isn't just our players/avr's.
post #43 of 272
Great. Now I'm worried about how my player-receiver setup will handle the Japanese TrueHD track.

My receiver is an older Yamaha, an RX-V661, but the manual says that, over HDMI at least, it can handle PCM at frequencies up to 192KHz and encoded up to 24 bits, across 7.1 channels. My player is a new Sony BDP-S550 which can output Dolby TrueHD to the Yamaha as PCM up to 7.1 channels, but I'm not sure it can handle the track conversion adequately. I'm confident that if it can, the receiver will output it correctly, so for me it's really the player that could be the weak link. I am using the HDMI connection, so that may help it (or not--I don't know how others here have their systems set up, so I can't tell if mine is at risk of failure too).

I'd love to be able to hear the Japanese track in all its glory. I'd settle for the regular Dolby 5.1 track, but from what I've read it's only accessible through the Japanese disc menu, and I can't read too much Japanese myself (although I can read, but not fully translate, some kana script).

Man, this is gonna be nerve-wracking for me until I actually get the disc and have a listen. The suspense is killing me already...
post #44 of 272
Thought this might be of some interest as it talks about the behinds the scenes work on the BD Akira.

http://timmaughanbooks.com/2009/02/1...nd-the-scenes/
post #45 of 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtsguy View Post

Having same issue.
I mentioned it in another thread to no responses. I thought I had a defective disc.

Receiver is Onkyo 705

I don't think the Onkyo 705 will decode TrueHD at 192kHz (I know the 805 doesn't), it's limited to decoding at 96kHz. It will accept it as LPCM, however. You'll unfortunately have to get a new receiver or a player that decodes internally to fully experience this track.

edit: this is assuming your player doesn't decode internally, if it does then in must not be doing it correctly.
post #46 of 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by someone else View Post

PQ is pretty good. Although imo not among the best I've seen for cell anime even if this is a brand new transfer. Quality is rather inconsistent, it reaches very good quality at times, but mostly not.

I would have been shocked if a film as old as Akira could look as good as the newest, shiniest, digital-domain only HD native anime releases. Such as, for example, Code Geass.

As it is, if they can make it look better than the original Ghost in the Shell, then they are also exceeding expectations for cel-based anime of that vintage.
post #47 of 272
Thread Starter 
sleeping beauty looked amazing on bluray. i wonder why they didnt do that for akira. just paint every cell in again by computer. it only took disney 4 years to do sleeping beauty but the result is amazing.

sony should have done the same with Akira. just give it to disney and let them fix it
post #48 of 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by d3code View Post

sony should have done the same with Akira. just give it to disney and let them fix it

Well first Sony would have to get it from Bandai...
post #49 of 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by d3code View Post

sleeping beauty looked amazing on bluray. i wonder why they didnt do that for akira. just paint every cell in again by computer. it only took disney 4 years to do sleeping beauty but the result is amazing.

sony should have done the same with Akira. just give it to disney and let them fix it

Akira also looks amazing on Blu-ray, there's some BS floating around here as usual...
post #50 of 272
I don't know if anyone else see's this as a big deal, but I do. This tuesday, the 22nd, the Blu Ray of Akira will arive in stores, complete with a re-mastered 192khz TRUE HD audio track.
I haven't seen or heard of this before on any other release, and I think its worthy of discussion. -Pretty sure this will be an industry first for a "movie" in this format (no music blue rays included).

If anyone has heard it, or has it, by all means, share your impressions.

(I've also heard there are some people having issues with the 192khz track playing in only 2.1 through their receivers...hmmm.

here's a good reveiw of it. IGN is always a good read...
http://uk.bluray.ign.com/articles/949/949749p1.html
post #51 of 272
It's been discussed...in the specs thread....in the akira thread...in the audio thread...well it's being discussed already
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1070934
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...760714&page=47

I like maxing specs but that's overkill for a 20 year old anime, and I do likes the anime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimHigh View Post

here's a good reveiw of it. IGN is always a good read...
http://uk.bluray.ign.com/articles/949/949749p1.html

I'm not bashing you OP, but IGN is the last place you want to go for BD reviews, the very last. Others here will second that.
post #52 of 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowrage View Post

It's been discussed...in the specs thread....in the akira thread...in the audio thread...well it's being discussed already
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1070934
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...760714&page=47

I like maxing specs but that's overkill for a 20 year old anime, and I do likes the anime.


I'm not bashing you OP, but IGN is the last place you want to go for BD reviews, the very last. Others here will second that.

Well, I ussually read video game reviews to fair, but I gave em credit this time for their review because there are several other sites that reviewed akira and made no significant mention of the sound, and complained about lack of extra's, completely negating the fact that the creators worked countless hours to make a really sharp re-master in the highest bit rate possible. (not saying its worth the disc space, i was more interested in what people thought of, it). But point taken, I'll go check out the threads, and thanks for the links.

-please excuse my noobish behavior. lol.
post #53 of 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishiro View Post

But my PS3 sends it properly to my reciever as 5.1 192khz. .

there's the answer i was lookin for. PS3! Good for sony to anticapate this by having onboard decoders to send my receiver as pcm (which is the only format it will read in 192 khz). (Who needs bitstream these days?)
now i have no worries...anyone with sony blu ray players should probly rest easy about decoding Akira's 192 khz dolby true hd, as long as their receiver can split it up into 5.1 as pcm
post #54 of 272
Anybody have pictures of the packaging (mainly the first print-only slipcover)? Interested to buy it but just wondering whether it's worth my while to get it right now vs. down the road.
post #55 of 272
Courtesy of s1nfulsimon over at The Import Forums:

post #56 of 272
Good to know! I think I can hold out for a cheaper price, or when my funds are more sound. Thanks!!
post #57 of 272
There may not be a problem with the track itself. Some receivers just can't play a 192khz multichannel track, and some may do it with PCM but not TrueHD. Also, there may be limitations on what controls can be used (like bass management, room correction) at higher sampling rates.

The Onkyo 705, for instance, can't play TrueHD at all if it's higher than 96khz. It can play TrueHD and DTS-HD MA up to 96khz, but even at that rate only the tone control (basic bass/treble) is available.
post #58 of 272
Why on earth do anyone want 192khz?
post #59 of 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by NIN74 View Post

Why on earth do anyone want 192khz?

It's 192khz for the same reason people climb mountains: "Because it's there."

I have the HK import version of Red Cliff on BD and it includes no less than three lossless audio tracks, a TrueHD 7.1 track, a DTS-HDMA 7.1 track, and a LCPM 7.1 track. Now why on Earth would a Blu-ray disc include three lossless audio tracks when one is plenty adequate? Same answer.

I for one welcome our overzealous Asian overlords. Someone needs to teach the Hollywood studios how you're supposed to release on Blu-ray. Are you listening, Warner? How are those lossy DD5.1-only releases doing these days? Fecking idiots. Bandai should send some guys with samurai swords to Warner to cut some desks up and tell them to release all their movies with lossless tracks or the swords will be cutting flesh next.
post #60 of 272
And by that you mean more releases that waste huge amounts of bits and space, that could have gone to actually improve video quality, on completely useless 192kHz tracks? No thanks.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Software
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › Akira official release date JP + USA and details