Originally Posted by rsmclay
Sorry to sound like a noob, but can you explain how to do this? Or is there a tutorial out there to help? I tried using google, but really didn't find anything except a bunch of hits stating not to do it with a WHS because of drive extender.
If you have steps or a tutorial, that would be great!!!
It's actually a very straight forward procedure.
There are different ways to achieve the same end result - but for a new user this is the simplest way.
1. First thing is to create an ISO image of the original WHS install disc. Use UltraISO or another similar program.
2. Next download the raid chipset drivers from the Intel web site (or nVidia if applcable). You want the just drivers in zipped format only. Not the installable exe version.
3. Unzip the drivers into a folder called Raid Drivers your desktop.
4. Open the WHS ISO you created earlier with UltaISO, and drag and drop the Raid Drivers folder into the root directory.
5. Burn the ISO to a disc.
6. Boot the WHS computer and access the system bios (usually by pressing DEL or F12 or whatever key depending on your bios type. Check on screen during boot or the mobo manual.
7. Go into the drive config and set the onboard controller to RAID and save settings.
Choices are usualy IDE, AHCI or RAID. Not all boards support raid configs so check before buying. ICH8R/9R/10R all support raid (note the R at the end).
Have only 1 drive connected to SATA port 0 (first port) to install the OS onto.
8. Insert your WHS install and boot the server. WHS setup begins. press F6 to load specific drivers when prompted (this will happend twice during the install). Just point to the Raid Drivers folder you created earlier.
Install will proceed to finalize.
9. Once it's finished log onto the remote desktop of the WHS server. Fireup IE and go to the Intel site, this time download the latest installable Intel Matrix Storage Manager (IMSM) currently at v8.9.
Double click and install IMSM. After install is completed shutdown the system.
10. Install a 2nd identical disc on SATA port 1 for the OS mirroring and start up the server.
11. Remote desktop into the WHS server and in programs look for Intel Matrix Storage manager. Run the program, select Advanced mode. Use the GUI to create a mirrored raid 1 pair using the drives on ports 0 & 1. You'll see the progress shown in the GUI in % complete.
In a few hours the OS system drive will be mirrored and protected against a single drive failure.
You're done. Now just add storage drives to the system and then add them into the storage pool using the WHS console.
Keep the ISO you created earlier in a safe place. You'll need it in case you ever need to reinstall the server since it contains the raid drivers you'll need.
Here's a link to the Intel IMSM drivers
for WHS which is based on Server 2003 (32bit).
1st on that list is the 32bit Floppy Config utility (zipped format). It's the one you'll need to unzip and add into your WHS ISO.
2nd is the Intel Matrix storage manager (IMSM) exe. You install this later directly on WHS to install IMSM.