or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › Breaking Bad on AMCHD
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Breaking Bad on AMCHD - Page 67

post #1981 of 4072
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm145 View Post

^^^^^
That would have sucked if Mike got away.
What would have been cool: Walt shooting Mike in head with far away camera angle!


SHUT THE F***UP! AND LET ME DIE IN PEACE biggrin.gif


Bad ass until the end, I like Mike.

DJoel
Yup, sad to see him go. And he was right - Walt had it made in the shade when he was cooking for Gus.

larry
post #1982 of 4072
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post

Me thinks things will not end well for Walt. eek.gif
Looking like that. His wife or Jesse, maybe Hank. If he lives and is not king of his empire, then it will be a letdown for me, i.e. not going out on top or 6 ft under. Although, after thinking a bit more, he may decide to end it himself some way if cornered.

larry
Edited by PooperScooper - 8/28/12 at 3:48am
post #1983 of 4072
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

...... I am assuming that Mike died because at the very end of the episode we heard what sounded like his body falling to the ground. We didn't see that happen though, so who knows?
.....

I thought we saw him fell in the bottom right of the screen? It was a wide shot. Am I remembering wrong?
post #1984 of 4072
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakestir View Post

I thought we saw him fell in the bottom right of the screen? It was a wide shot. Am I remembering wrong?

No, you're correct. Awesome scene, and not what we would have expected. Which is, of course, SOP on this show.
post #1985 of 4072
Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

Yup, sad to see him go. And he was right - Walt had it made in the shade when he was cooking for Gus.
larry

Except the knowledge that you could be killed by your boss at any time for any reason, especially if someone else Gus trusted more learned your cooking secrets and methods. I've had bad bosses before, but at least I know they wouldn't kill me (except by overworking me, maybe).
post #1986 of 4072
True. But was that because Walt was "Breaking Bad"? In other words if Walt was a sheep would Gus bother to get rid of him at any time? Maybe that's what Mike meant. It's funny about Mike, even as the person that he was, he was "the rock" of the show.

larry
post #1987 of 4072
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Except the knowledge that you could be killed by your boss at any time for any reason, especially if someone else Gus trusted more learned your cooking secrets and methods. I've had bad bosses before, but at least I know they wouldn't kill me (except by overworking me, maybe).

I still think Walt created 90+% of all the friction between he and Gus. Walt instigated nearly all the problems between the two the way I saw it.
post #1988 of 4072
Granted, Walt was a thorn in Gus' side, but remember that Gale was Gus' hand-picked and mentored cook. So there was unquestioned loyalty there. Once Gale had fully incorporated Walt's techniques, who's to say Gus wouldn't have gotten rid of Walt and Jesse anyway? He never would have trusted them the way he trusted Gale, and Gus did run a very tight ship.

That's why Walt knew, early on, he had to get rid of Gale. He never really had any "job security".
post #1989 of 4072
I can't help but giggle a little when I think of the goofed up face of Bryan Cranston right after shooting Mike, as he gazes at the pretty running stream, " I didn't think this through, I could have asked Lydia for the list "biggrin.gif As if he interoffice the wrong set of documents to the wrong department at some company.

Awesome acting, all around.

Djoel
post #1990 of 4072
Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

True. But was that because Walt was "Breaking Bad"? In other words if Walt was a sheep would Gus bother to get rid of him at any time? Maybe that's what Mike meant. It's funny about Mike, even as the person that he was, he was "the rock" of the show.
larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebkell View Post

I still think Walt created 90+% of all the friction between he and Gus. Walt instigated nearly all the problems between the two the way I saw it.

It was actually Jesse who started the friction with Gus. By being loyal to Jesse, Walt put his own life in danger. Gus then was going to kill Walt once he had Gale ready to go. You could say that it was Gus and/or Jesse which messed up the good thing. And with the threat of death always there for Walt, he had to do something. Funny that Gus was able to rehabilitate his relationship with Jesse but he never tried to patch things up with Walt. Additionally, Hank was onto Gus and probably would have smoked out his facilities. Even though Walt was giving Gus information about what Hank was doing, Walt felt that he was being blamed for Hank's good detective work which also put Hank's and Walt's life in danger. The last straw was Gus threat to kill Walt's family if he got in the way of his stopping Hank. So actually it was Gus who messed up the good thing and Mike was wrong. But Mike was big on knowing his place.
post #1991 of 4072
Although I had swore I would wait till the final episode Sunday to watch all as a marathon, which I always prefer on BB, I just could not help myself and watched all yesterday, leaving the mid-season final for Sunday ..

I don't think as Walt watched Mike die he was thinking so much about the list as he was feeling some last shred of humanity coming out over having killed Mike ..

Walt has changed so much since the beginning .. or has he .. ?? Regrets over the "GreyMatter" company and the loss of that status and money .. cancer deals him a raw hand .. years as a mild mannered Chemistry teacher .. son with cerebral palsy .. over 50 now with no real legacy .. he even tells Jesse, cooking is all he has left ..

When Walt said he is the best cook in the United States, he was likely right .. and he knows it .. and so, he has decided that's his legacy .. and that same way of thinking goes back to Gus .. where Walt felt he was in the fist of another and not in control of his destiny ..

The continued imagination being used by Vince Gilligan is just incredible to watch .. the train hiest, the home tenting scenario this season, wow .. I'll never see a tented house the same ..

I'm still thinking as I mentioned last year, Walt will go down hard at the end .. the main problem is he has failed to build an organization, a company if you will .. it's still just him for the most part .. if he were to become the Kingpin he wants to be, then, by now he would have an organization built around him ..

With Mike's death, the conscience of the show has died as well, so I'm guessing things are going to get darker and darker .. I don't think an attempt at killing off Mikes crew while in prison is in the cards .. Walt is obviously on the run at some point .. alone, grew a full beard, paranoid as shown in the early scene ..


The kid Todd is going to play in this as well .. he's not stupid and in a short time, he's worked his way into Walt's trust .. again, because he was about the only alternative, since Walt has no crew .. Todd is unstable to put it mildly .. remember the trophy he kept from the dirtbiker kid ..

Walt: Jesse, you asked me if I was in the meth business or the money business. Neither. I'm in the empire business.

Walter: You all know exactly who I am. Say my name.
Declan: Do what? I don't...I don't have a damn clue who you are.
Walter: Yeah you do. I'm the cook. I'm the man who killed Gus Fring.
Declan: Bull****. Cartel got Fring.
Walter: You sure? That's right. Now say my name
. Declan: You're Heisenberg.
Walter: You're ******* right.
post #1992 of 4072
Best opening scene for BB in quite a while...
Walt's ego is enormous at this point- the whole "say my name" bit was like a master having his dog perform on command in front of guests.
NY Yankees and Coke? Walt might as well have throw in apple pie and hot dogs too! Excellent sales pitch. Seems Walt did his research on Declan's operation- even knew the purity of his product.

Too bad about Mike- looks like he pretty much thwarted the DEA's search of his place- but his lawyer was willing to give him up... should have stuck with Saul!
Walt offing Mike? Wow! Even mike didn't expect that.

Even if Walt does get the names of the nine inmates from Lydia- there's no way he could arrange to knock off all nine of them from the inside. As soon as a couple get hit- Hank will will put two and two together and get the surviving members placed in isolation, etc...

Walt's world is starting to unravel very quickly now...


FWIW- per most bank's Term and Conditions for safe deposit boxes- placing cash in safe deposit boxes is strictly prohibited.
post #1993 of 4072
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

With Mike's death, the conscience of the show has died as well, so I'm guessing things are going to get darker and darker ..

I get what you mean, but I have always thought Jesse was the conscience of the show. Mike seemed to represent the more practical, common sense aspect -- the "rock" as was stated earlier.
post #1994 of 4072
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce73 View Post

I get what you mean, but I have always thought Jesse was the conscience of the show. Mike seemed to represent the more practical, common sense aspect -- the "rock" as was stated earlier.

I can see that as well .. one of the great things about the show, IMO, is the interpretation that any of us can come up with .. no real absolute in many cases, just how each viewer sees it .. smile.gif
post #1995 of 4072
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce73 View Post

I get what you mean, but I have always thought Jesse was the conscience of the show. Mike seemed to represent the more practical, common sense aspect -- the "rock" as was stated earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

I can see that as well .. one of the great things about the show, IMO, is the interpretation that any of us can come up with .. no real absolute in many cases, just how each viewer sees it .. smile.gif

Great that you said this as I was going with Skylar being the rock wink.gif

(J/K..)

Djoel
post #1996 of 4072
Mike died because he dared to tell Walt the truth - a truth he couldn't bs his way out of. Walt has now destroyed everything in his life that matters - his relationship with his family, his employer, his partner, his wingman. He's got nothing, which is what every narcissist thinks he wants. Now we'll see how he likes it.

I think Todd is a puppy dog. As a human, he's a good guy who happens to be a criminal, but he's raw clay waiting to be formed. So, Jesse kills Walt, then Todd kills Jesse and takes over as head chef. Possible twist, Todd is the new Walt in more ways than one.
post #1997 of 4072
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjames View Post

Mike died because he dared to tell Walt the truth - a truth he couldn't bs his way out of. Walt has now destroyed everything in his life that matters - his relationship with his family, his employer, his partner, his wingman. He's got nothing, which is what every narcissist thinks he wants. Now we'll see how he likes it.
I think Todd is a puppy dog. As a human, he's a good guy who happens to be a criminal, but he's raw clay waiting to be formed. So, Jesse kills Walt, then Todd kills Jesse and takes over as head chef. Possible twist, Todd is the new Walt in more ways than one.

I see Todd as the snake .. he saw an opportunity and he took it .. keep in mind his keeping of a trophy from the dirtbike kid .. that spoke volumes, IMO ..

When Todd mentioned the nanny cam, he knew that would get his foot in the door .. and when Walt asked what his name was, that sealed the deal ..

Then, excalating his willingness to do whatever it takes to "protect the team / business" ..

I don't think Walt will be killed by either .. he's on the run at the end .. although Todd may end up taking over the cook ..
post #1998 of 4072
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjames View Post

....
I think Todd is a puppy dog. As a human, he's a good guy who happens to be a criminal, but he's raw clay waiting to be formed. So, Jesse kills Walt, then Todd kills Jesse and takes over as head chef. Possible twist, Todd is the new Walt in more ways than one.

A couple guys in my office think Todd is secretly working for someone else or have plans of his own.

And I always thought Saul was the conscience of the show... wink.gif
post #1999 of 4072
Walt needs to take some of the new cash he's bringing in and hire some guns so he doesn't get himself shot in the face when he starts talking like a big man at these meetings.

Also, as others have mentioned, Mike was wrong about everything being peachy if Walt had just cooked. In order for everything to remain peachy between him and Gus, he would have had to...

Let Gus kill Jesse
Let the cousins kill Hank
Let the dealers get away with murdering the kid
Ignore the pretty obvious fact that Gus was grooming his replacement and would eventually kill him

Tensions started between Gus/Walt on behalf of Jesse. They escalated when Gus directed the cousins after Hank and escalated further when Walt killed the dealers that Jesse was going to shoot after they'd killed the kid.
post #2000 of 4072
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

I see Todd as the snake .. he saw an opportunity and he took it .. keep in mind his keeping of a trophy from the dirtbike kid .. that spoke volumes, IMO ..
When Todd mentioned the nanny cam, he knew that would get his foot in the door .. and when Walt asked what his name was, that sealed the deal ..
Then, excalating his willingness to do whatever it takes to "protect the team / business" ..
I don't think Walt will be killed by either .. he's on the run at the end .. although Todd may end up taking over the cook ..

Yeah, Todd's an interesting character, for sure - kind of a hint when they cast a known actor in a seemingly small role. I'm mostly processing his age - maybe you're right, but does Todd know that yet?

That's my other dog imitation smile.gif
post #2001 of 4072
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakestir View Post

A couple guys in my office think Todd is secretly working for someone else or have plans of his own.
And I always thought Saul was the conscience of the show... wink.gif

All I know is Saul needs a spinoff biggrin.gif
post #2002 of 4072
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjames View Post

All I know is Saul needs a spinoff biggrin.gif

+1 , That would be Great!
post #2003 of 4072
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjames View Post

All I know is Saul needs a spinoff biggrin.gif

I'd like to see Mike get a spinoff .. pre Walter ..
post #2004 of 4072
My favorite memory of Mike was when he said something to the effect that there are two types of criminals, those that leave witnesses and those that get away with it. smile.gif

Mike had the knack of being able to reduce things to their basics.

I'm wondering how long this "tent cook" can go on w/o something going terribly wrong. eek.gif
post #2005 of 4072
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjames View Post

All I know is Saul needs a spinoff biggrin.gif
That draw full of burner cellphones in Saul's desk was hilarious....
post #2006 of 4072
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post

My favorite memory of Mike was when he said something to the effect that there are two types of criminals, those that leave witnesses and those that get away with it. smile.gif
Mike had the knack of being able to reduce things to their basics.

That's great Mikeism biggrin.gif

I love how Jesse, and Walt where trying to negotiate Lydia's life with Mike who wanted her gone, paraphrasing here but something along the lines" She try to kill me but I was sexiest , now you two are being sexiest too!"

Djoel
post #2007 of 4072
Since Walt didn't get the names and too late concluded that he could get them from Lydia, I see a md season finale him confronting her, gunpoint to the head for sure for the names and maybe off-ing her (and she makes the same plea she made Mike, not there in the house)...

The 9 legacy guys need to be shut, they won't get their payment since they caught the lawyer, not much time before they begin to talk..

Some people are saying why Skyler just didn't toss the methlymine down the drain at the car wash... (my guess is she would have been dead from the toxic fumes LOL)
post #2008 of 4072
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post

That's great Mikeism biggrin.gif
I love how Jesse, and Walt where trying to negotiate Lydia's life with Mike who wanted her gone, paraphrasing here but something along the lines" She try to kill me but I was sexiest , now you two are being sexiest too!"
Djoel

That would be funny, but he said he should kill her, but he was being "sexist", as in he didn't feel right killing a woman...and accused Walt and Jesse of being sexist for not wanting to kill her either.
post #2009 of 4072
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

I'd like to see Mike get a spinoff .. pre Walter ..

Hmm, a Mike prequel. They could do a Wiseguy backstory, good guy gone bad, but for good reasons.

I love Banks, one of my core holdings actor wise.

63339
post #2010 of 4072
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiratesCove View Post

+1 , That would be Great!

Somewhere on the imdb boards someone posted a link to an interview with Vince Gilligan during which the interviewer asked him if there was a chance of Saul Goodman getting a spinoff, and he said something to the effect that he loved the idea and it might happen. Don't have the link, and I'm too lazy and/or inept at finding stuff with various forums' search functions to find it. If anyone else finds it and wants to provide the link, I'm all for it.

ETA: This is my 1100th post (What is that? Eleventy? biggrin.gif), which must somehow be significant in a cosmic sense, and entitle me to some special award or recognition or something. Where do I redeem my prize? What do I get? A new 4k projector? 'Cause that'd be great.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Programming
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › Breaking Bad on AMCHD