Originally Posted by johnzo1995
I think it would be a better idea to buy the whole TV. The tv comes with all the input boards to drive the DMD engine. If you bought the engine from the parts website - I don't think it comes with all of the PCB boards to run the TV.
We should start a new thread on this, set up a paypal donation thing, and get someone to do it.
If and when 1080p LED projector come out and they are going to be $3000, this would be a $1300 DIY solution.
I love this idea. It's been in my head for a few months now.
Help me out on some issues/questions, please. Are these statements correct?
1. From what I can tell you wouldn't even have to buy the 67 inch Samsung, the 61 incher would do the job. Same internals.
2. The 1080p DLP chip in the Sammy is wobulated.
3. Light output is going to be low, so a high gain screen and a dark room are mandatory to get, say a 100 inch diagonal image.
4. The current generation of Sammys can correctly display a 24p image. If I understand correctly, they operate on at 120hz. All frames in 60fps signals are doubled and all frames in a 24fps signal are displayed 5 times.
5. New lens needed to handle different throw distance and focus.
6. And most importantly, a direct front projection of the image straight out of the lens would result in a backwards image (left/right flopped).