or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › 'Life On Mars' on ABC HD
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

'Life On Mars' on ABC HD - Page 3

post #61 of 470
It seems most of you guys have watched the BBC series and really liked it. I haven't and was somewhat underwhelmed by this episode. I'm not comfortable with the Tyler character. I guess I haven't connected yet. The 70s crew accepts a delusional transfer into their midst without a blink ? I can assume since it's all in his head, they ultimately interact under his direction and so gloss over that there's something seriously wrong with the guy. Some great moments in the episode, but for me just a little off. I'll watch for awhile and see if it grabs me.
Hope so, cuz the competition, Eleventh Hour, showed me a whole lot of nothing.
post #62 of 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzy View Post

I dunno; which?

Exactly. As I understand it, part of the fun of the BBC version was that no one knew for sure he was in a coma or not until the end.

With the US version, everyone knows from day 1 and that it why I wrote that I was disappointed earlier in this string. We know it is all in his head. None of it is real. That's usually revealed at the end of a series or movie, such as Newhart, The Wizard of Oz (yellow brick road - another clue that he is just unconscious).
post #63 of 470
OMFG way to spoil it for me!
post #64 of 470
You know, I was just going to post to say that this show should really have 2 different threads given that there will no doubt be endless comparisons to the original which can contain a lot of spoilage.

Regarding the ending noted above, anyone who has seen the original knows that that is not really the whole story. Whether ABC sticks to the original or not remains to be seen, but given that they're no doubt looking for a lengthy run quite a bit can be different than the UK version.
post #65 of 470
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sansri88 View Post

OMFG way to spoil it for me!

Yeah, well, I tried to ask nicely for folks to not give too much away.....not that I've seen the UK version. OK...No Spoilers.....Please!. But spoilers "blocks" are welcome.
post #66 of 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

It seems most of you guys have watched the BBC series and really liked it. I haven't and was somewhat underwhelmed by this episode. I'm not comfortable with the Tyler character. I guess I haven't connected yet. The 70s crew accepts a delusional transfer into their midst without a blink ?.

That was why I thought this should have been stretched over two episodes instead of trying to jam it all into one. They never let Sam or the viewer get accustomed to his new surroundings.
post #67 of 470
The show aired. There are no spoilers in this thread. The BBC version is actually irrelevant given the overwhelming number of clues in the first US episode, which again, has aired.

For the record, I have not seen the BBC version.

The only way someone could view that episode and not know he was laying comatose in a hospital bed, is if said viewer was also unconscious.
post #68 of 470
My problem with the show, conceptually, was that having the character hit by a car as the start of the time traveling pretty much takes away the mystery of how he time traveled. It's always in your head that probably he is just dreaming it. Which leads to the very lame ending of just waking up.

I tuned in the first episode, hoping for something different. If they had left that ambiguous, it might have been interesting. Instead, they beat you over the head with obvious clues that he is dreaming or in a coma. The sound of the defibrilator, the doctor on the TV, etc. So any hope that it is a real time travel story, instead of a fever dream, was flushed right down the toilet.

Why on Earth would I want to watch this for a whole season or more, just to have him wake up in the hospital. Who cares? Unless he wakes up in bed next to Bob Newhart and Suzanne Pleshet, for a suprise laugh ending, there's no suspense. The only reason I might watch a 2nd episode is for Harvey Keitel, who is one of my favorite actors. He's perfect casting in this show, since his character is the only one I want to see again.
post #69 of 470
What made the original so good was the delicate balance in the way they handled whether he was in a coma, simply insane, or actually really in the past. For example, IIRC, the first thing he saw on the TV was not someone giving a lecture and then devolve into speaking about Sam's medical condition, but of the broadcast sign-off plate image "talking" to him, this put forth the idea that he might just be insane. ABC has seemed to skip over that possibility already.

IMO, the ABC version has already tipped the scales, possibly irreparably towards Sam being in a coma. In the original, even at the end, you truly never really know what the "truth" is, as the end really could be the beginning. But that was secondary to the path taken to reach the end, the confusion, the uncertainty of being of stable mind, the culture clashes between present and past/future, and how things happening in Sam's "past" are linked to his future are all what made the original so good.

As I've said before, the original was near perfect TV, so the idea that ABC could re-do it, and have it anywhere near as good, would be an extremely tall order to fill.

I'd be interested in reading what the writers of this version are thinking and planning for this show. I think it's quite possible that this version has been "dumbed down" for American audiences, but in the process they've ruined the story. I'd really like to see comments from the writers of the original regarding their take on the ABC version.

In my opinion, watch the DVD set of the original - it will be some of the best TV you've ever seen - and spend this hour on Thursday nights watching something else.
post #70 of 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABCTV99 View Post

(why is we think the 70s were so warm and hot?)

Because for some of us, it was ... literally (no AC.)
post #71 of 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

For example, IIRC, the first thing he saw on the TV was not someone giving a lecture and then devolve into speaking about Sam's medical condition, but of the broadcast sign-off plate image "talking" to him, this put forth the idea that he might just be insane.

They haven't got rid of the talking Testcard F girl have they? That's sacrilege!

(For those who don't know - the BBC test card introduced with colour TV - and still in use in an updated form for HD - contains a photo of a girl in the middle with a stuffed clown toy and a black board playing noughts and crosses (aka Tic-Tac-Toe) - to let you set-up flesh tones nicely, confirm the cente of the image etc. She was actually the daughter of a BBC R&D Engineer in the 60s - but the image is iconic in the UK - and the way it was worked into Life on Mars was fantastic!)
post #72 of 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneals2000 View Post

They haven't got rid of the talking Testcard F girl have they? That's sacrilege!

(For those who don't know - the BBC test card introduced with colour TV - and still in use in an updated form for HD - contains a photo of a girl in the middle with a stuffed clown toy and a black board playing noughts and crosses (aka Tic-Tac-Toe) - to let you set-up flesh tones nicely, confirm the cente of the image etc. She was actually the daughter of a BBC R&D Engineer in the 60s - but the image is iconic in the UK - and the way it was worked into Life on Mars was fantastic!)

It was good, meaningful linkage throughout all 16 eps.

So far, ABC haven't shown anything like it yet. IMO, it should have been shown in the first episode. This is a possible example of how the ABC version may differ, and in my opinion, suffer for it.



post #73 of 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

I'd be interested in reading what the writers of this version are thinking and planning for this show. I think it's quite possible that this version has been "dumbed down" for American audiences, but in the process they've ruined the story. I'd really like to see comments from the writers of the original regarding their take on the ABC version.

Me too.
In the original, the writers said once that they wanted to make a down and dirty cop drama but couldn't do it in our politically correct environment. The move to the past allowed them the freedom to get violent. If ABC has that in mind then I think they're in the wrong city. It doesn't feel right. The original was set in Manchester, not London: although the sequel (Ashes To Ashes) is, I believe.

Police violence in modern Manchester was out of place so there was a stark contrast with the 70's city. Modern NY would seem to have almost as much as past NY, leaving out the contrast.

The original emphacised the difference between 70's and modern methods. I didn't notice that particularly yet. The original could also add a "gun" issue that won't work in the USA.

Unfortunately, I hated the music and TV of the 70's. At least with the UK version, I got a little different view on that.
post #74 of 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger16309 View Post

The show aired. There are no spoilers in this thread. The BBC version is actually irrelevant given the overwhelming number of clues in the first US episode, which again, has aired.

For the record, I have not seen the BBC version.

The only way someone could view that episode and not know he was laying comatose in a hospital bed, is if said viewer was also unconscious.

I agree that there are no real spoilers in the thread. Spoilerphobics, though, seem all too willing to find fault where there should be none. Sheesh!

I scrupulously avoid GENUINE spoilers. Nevertheless, complaining that discussing what happened in the BBC version of the show was a spoiler of what might happen in the US version strikes me as going a bridge WAY too far.
post #75 of 470
Great, another show that we can't properly judge until we've seen every episode of the British series it's based on so we can do a shot-by-shot comparison!
post #76 of 470
I'll watch for awhile and see if it grabs me.
post #77 of 470
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Spoilerphobics, though, seem all too willing to find fault where there should be none. Sheesh!

IF directed at me, that simply isn't true. But who knows how closely they'll follow the BBC version from here on out...
post #78 of 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

IMO, the ABC version has already tipped the scales, possibly irreparably towards Sam being in a coma.

We might be surprised in subsequent episodes.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
The Executive Producer has stated in several places that the solution in the US version is going to be different than in the BBC version. That would imply that he is not in a coma.


Quote:
In my opinion, watch the DVD set of the original - it will be some of the best TV you've ever seen - and spend this hour on Thursday nights watching something else.

Is there a DVD set available in the US? I would have thought music rights would have nixed that.

By the way, there is a great interview with the Executive Producer over at
http://www.thefutoncritic.com/rant.a...003_lifeonmars
He discusses similarities and differences with BBC version - so there are definite spoilers for the BBC version and some spoilers of a fashion for the US version.
post #79 of 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by nottenst View Post

We might be surprised in subsequent episodes.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
The Executive Producer has stated in several places that the solution in the US version is going to be different than in the BBC version. That would imply that he is not in a coma.


Is there a DVD set available in the US? I would have thought music rights would have nixed that.

By the way, there is a great interview with the Executive Producer over at
http://www.thefutoncritic.com/rant.a...003_lifeonmars
He discusses similarities and differences with BBC version - so there are definite spoilers for the BBC version and some spoilers of a fashion for the US version.

Thanks for the link, interesting read, it also answers sneals2000 question about the Testcard F girl.

After reading the above link, my previous comments about skipping this version should be softened, at this point I want to see where ABC goes with it, I still have my doubts about how well it will play out, but the comments in the article suggest some radically different directions that might prove to be interesting.

Regarding the DVD, I guess there's only a Region 2 set available, my player has been modified so it wasn't an issue.
post #80 of 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

It was good, meaningful linkage throughout all 16 eps.

So far, ABC haven't shown anything like it yet. IMO, it should have been shown in the first episode. This is a possible example of how the ABC version may differ, and in my opinion, suffer for it.

They could have used an Indian head pattern:



I think they were still in use into the 70s.

post #81 of 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVOD View Post

They could have used an Indian head pattern:



I think they were still in use into the 70s.


Yes, that would have worked, a bit less effective as the Chief is not the primary focus of the image, but it could work.

Interesting thing about the clown in the BBC image is that in the sequel, Ashes to Ashes, the clown is all grown up and appears "outside" the TV.
post #82 of 470
I remember the Indian head plus some color bars. I think there were primary colors on one side and secondary colors on the other.

A local station would show it before their broadcast day began. My dad would get up early and mess around with the new color set while cursing, trying to get the colors right depending on how the TV was acting that day. This happened so often that he had a stand up mirror in the living room so he could see the screen while the back of the set was open.
post #83 of 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

Interesting thing about the clown in the BBC image is that in the sequel, Ashes to Ashes, the clown is all grown up and appears "outside" the TV.

Hmm - don't think that character is a reference to the Testcard clown toy, isn't it a reference to the characters in the "Ashes to Ashes" Bowie video?
post #84 of 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVOD View Post

They could have used an Indian head pattern:



I think they were still in use into the 70s.

Believe it or not - the test card girl image is still in use now! It has been updated for Widescreen (and I believe HD) - though is only occasionally broadcast, it is used internally. (The entire test signal has been regenerated in software, with the original film image re-scanned at high resolution, and slightly repositioned to ensure the centre of the blackboard cross is the exact centre of frame)

post #85 of 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneals2000 View Post

Hmm - don't think that character is a reference to the Testcard clown toy, isn't it a reference to the characters in the "Ashes to Ashes" Bowie video?

Yes, you're probably right, I'm going on a failing memory but it seemed to me the "big" clown was dressed the same as the T-card clown.


After seeing the image I stand corrected. Once past his Ziggy Stardust days I'd lost interest in Bowie.

Quote:


For the 2008 sequel to their 2006 BBC TV series Life on Mars, the writing team of Matthew Graham and Ashley Pharoah decided to transplant the characters from 1973 to 1981, and chose the title Ashes to Ashes because they thought of it as "that year's big Bowie track".[11] They also borrowed the famous pierrot iconography from the video of the Bowie single as part of the programme's visual design.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...esToAshes3.jpg
post #86 of 470
I liked the show, I'm restraining myself of watching the UK version, I want to start fresh and don't get spoiled too much. Like the 70's set, but I think a bit over the top, I don't recall watching that many people on the streets on the 70's, was it like that? Surely many extras got jobs and I think they will for future episodes, and a freee 70's costume!.

So it's 1973, where are the Pink Floyd tunes? I expect some Dark Side of the Moon tunes ...
post #87 of 470
My wife and I watched some episodes of the UK version, and we've watched the first episode of the US version. I don't care if they do the same thing as UK or not. I want a decent TV show with good acting. Unfortunately, this doesn't look like it. A big part of the problem is that Jason O'Mara, Det Sam Tyler, doesn't seem to be a very good actor. The best person by far was Harvey Keitel. I think Michael Imperioli is very talented, but I was underwhelmed by him in this episode. We'll probably watch another episode or two, but it better improve quickly.

SMK
post #88 of 470
I really enjoyed it.

My DVR decided that since there was a 1 minute scheduling conflict, it wouldn't record ANY of the show, so I missed the broadcast. I tried watching on ABC's website, but the think sat loading for well over an hour each time I tried.

So, I sucked it up and ponied up the 2 bucks for an I-Tunes copy (which, despite being the SD version, looked decent on my HDTV - I wasn't willing to pay extra for their "HD" on a show I might not like).

It was a good watch and I think I'll keep the series link - making sure all conflicts are resolved in the future, of course. Or resolved in the past, however it may work...these time travel things can be confusing...
post #89 of 470
This is not very important, doesn't make any difference, and they got really close, but Sam's TV is a Sony model KV1910, which was not introduced until 1975/76.
post #90 of 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzy View Post

IF directed at me, that simply isn't true. But who knows how closely they'll follow the BBC version from here on out...

It was not directed at you. I responded because Digger's observation that there were no genuine spoilers in the thread encouraged me to do so. I agree with you entirely about real spoilers.

Back to the show for a moment. I cannot understand the propensity of some posters to denigrate a show just because it is based on an earlier British series. I saw such stuff in the thread discussing US version of The Office. Some posters claimed that it was no good because it was a pale imitation of the original. They failed to realize, I guess, that the original show's creator and star, Ricky Gervais, has written a number of the US episodes.

Wow, 2 rants in one post! I'm tired now so I'll leave.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Programming
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › 'Life On Mars' on ABC HD