Alright, my wife was very excited at the prospect of practicing with her new camera.
First pics of the finished screen (in an unfinished family room, mind you) with and without masking.
Back side. Here you get the gist of what I did- the black tape on the top and bottom is securing the plates for the masking.
This one shows a little more detail and highlights my biggest mistake- I cut my vertical bars too short and had to use some of the extra materials to extend it to the proper size. I am sure you have heard measure twice and cut once, but in my case it may have been better to measure twice, sleep on it and measure a few more times before I actually made my cuts.
Here is a close up of the french cleat. Rather than measure exactly, I opted to give myself several inches of leeway (sort of a recurring theme on my projects
). The reverse of this is mounted on the wall thus giving me the ability to slide the entire screen for perfect positioning. It is also very strong.
You can also see how I pretty simply achieved a straight border with the 3" velvet tape. I started on the outside and rolled it in toward the screen. No cutting and much easier than I anticipated. It also makes for a nice finish on the side and hides the gory details of my work. I originally tried to line it up perfectly at the edges but it kept pulling down as I applied. You really cannot tell that it overlaps unless you are up close inspecting the screen, so I don't really care. Someone with more patience than I could probably do a cleaner job than I did.
This is a close-up of the 80/20 velcro sandwich. Wrapping this with a few judiciously placed pieces of duct tape worked out very well. I also could have used 2 sided foam tape instead of the velcro but I used the velcro for the face as well so this worked out perfectly.
Finally something that really has nothing to do with this thread but the part that I probably wasted the most amount of time on- masking. I initially tried to use two pieces of foam board connected with duct tape so it could bend for convenient storage. However, installing this by myself, without the ability to get right underneath it (media center in the way) proved to be much more difficult than I had planned. Version 2 (as explained in the previous post) worked far better but I had difficulty with the duct tape sticking to the back of the Wilsonart. Round 3 seems to work very well so far, but I just finished it a few hours ago so time will tell. I taped the back of the masks with gorilla tape because I was afraid the staples would scratch the screen.
There you go- that's it. Thanks a ton 20fan for bringing this 80/20 stuff to my attention. I probably could have done this out of wood but I was nagged by the fear that it would be too heavy. This stuff is light, strong, easy to work with and highly adaptable to any project. I guess I should thank several nameless others as well as I pulled my favorite solutions from many threads and it all worked out extremely well. Anyway, in my mind my version of the project is pretty self explanatory, but if anyone has any questions I'd be happy to answer.