or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official Panasonic DMP-BD35/55 Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Panasonic DMP-BD35/55 Owners Thread - Page 397

post #11881 of 14978
Man I hope not. If they can get the prices down on players and disc like they did with DVD then I think bluray has it in the bag. If not, then you will be correct.
post #11882 of 14978
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabe Actuary View Post


as far as firmware updates go...anyone in this thread knows it's profile 2.0 ready and can get updates over it's network connection....more and more need for network connections in your entertainment area arise each day.

Hmmm, part of the update annoyance is waiting for the download. A preferred method would be a background download and a startup-time prod that an update is available. Or does MS hold a patent on this technique?
post #11883 of 14978
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky636 View Post

What do you mean by "4:3 mode?"

Do you mean that you have the 35 set up to output to a standard definition, 4:3 tv? If so, the best you will ever get out of the 35 is 480 interlaced. 24p only works at 1080 progressive. That requires an HDTV or projector.

I have an HDTV projector, but the screen I have is too small to fit a 16:9 setup, so I have it configured for 4:3. The projector does support 24p because if I switch the BD35 to "16:9", it outputs 24p, and my projector switches from 60p to 24p. However, if the BD35 is configured "4:3", it doesn't output 24p.

I would think that it wouldn't matter what the aspect ratio is set for on the BD35 as long as the display can handle 24p.

I guess I need to buy a bigger screen, but that would require me to reconfigure my theater. I was smart enough to set it up for 7.1 sound 8 years ago, but I guess I didn't think about the screen part of it.
post #11884 of 14978
Quote:
Originally Posted by moviegeek View Post

Those having problems with 24p need to hookup the player directly to the TV,if you still can't view 24p then your TV doesn't support it.If you can see 24p then the problem lies with your AVR,using a splitter should fix the problem.
Also remember you have to enable it in Setup and activate it everytime using the Display button.

Thanks for the advice. I wanted to know if anyone has successfully got a particular brand of splitter to work with the BD35 so I can just go buy it knowing it will work.

There was another thread on avforums where someone was saying they couldn't get any 1x2 splitter to work with the BD35.
post #11885 of 14978
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacplasma View Post

The more I read and the more I see I don't think BR stands much of a chance to be a mass product. Updates, discs that don't play, etc, etc. The average consumer would have no idea what you were talking about. BR right now is only about 10% of total sales. Reminds me of my days buying CED and Laserdiscs. The average consumer (and there are millions of them) have no idea how to use or adjust a new HDTV. I have owned a Panny 35 for about 6 months and have never done an update (still using 1.5). I have rented many BR's from Netflix and never had a problem with any of them (God am I lucky). BR's continue to be way too expensive to purchase. Most consumers are happy to see a movie once anyway.
I really think the future will be on-demand with cable boxes and streaming. And I am one who loves to purchase the movies I have enjoyed.

I hope you're wrong, but you could be correct. But I will also echo the post from lujan earlier:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post

I for one will not substitute streamed movies for the physical media until the sound and video is as good as a blu-ray disc (7.1 dts master, 1080p video, etc.).

That said, TheDigitalBits reported this week that BD player sales were something like double what they were this time last year. Many analysts are predicting Q4 2009 as the period to watch w/ BD. Player prices are expected to drop into the $150 MSRP area, with some lower end models popping up for under $100. There will still be those pricey high end models, but jumping into Blu @ the local WalMart for a c-note or so could lead to a major boost in adoption, although it's been reported that BD adoption is ahead of DVD adoption in the same amount of time.

While disc prices do need to drop as well (and are expected to do so slightly), the same time player prices are expected to drop to all time lows, the market will also be flooded with a lot of major titles. Most if not all of the big 09 summer flicks will be on BD by XMAS 09, as well as a lot of high profile catalog stuff (Alien, Trek, possibly Indy Jones films, Braveheart, Gladiator and so on).

I do like whay Disney has started doing - issuing a DVD copy of the film with the BD. Much smarter, IMO, than the digital copy. Pretty much everyone has a DVD player. Plus, makes it easy to consider BD for Disney stuff - Mom & Dad play the BD in the main living/family/theater room & the kids can watch the DVD anywhere.

Of course, buying BDs from Amazon is still the best way to go, IMO. And my last visit to a Fry's also found me snapping up some HD DVDs for insane discount prices.

Eventually, I imagine all physical media will be gone & everything will be in some form of On Demand. Still think it's several years away & certainly needs time to, in the case of films, to catch up to the quality level we get via BD (or did get w/ HD DVD, too)
post #11886 of 14978
Quote:
Originally Posted by psp_AVS View Post

Thanks for the advice. I wanted to know if anyone has successfully got a particular brand of splitter to work with the BD35 so I can just go buy it knowing it will work.

There was another thread on avforums where someone was saying they couldn't get any 1x2 splitter to work with the BD35.

I think the best thing to do is use a receiver which accepts HDMI multi inputs. I know it is more expensive, but this definately works.
post #11887 of 14978
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingSolomon69 View Post

I think the best thing to do is use a receiver which accepts HDMI multi inputs. I know it is more expensive, but this definately works.

I have a AVR347 receiver right now. When u say HDMI multi inputs, do you mean a receiver which accepts more than 1 HDMI input?

Right now that is not the problem. I want to be able to send audio to the AVR and the video to the TV but the BD35 has only 1 HDMI out. And hence the need for a 1x2 HDMI splitter.
post #11888 of 14978
Quote:
Originally Posted by psp_AVS View Post

I have a AVR347 receiver right now. When u say HDMI multi inputs, do you mean a receiver which accepts more than 1 HDMI input?

Right now that is not the problem. I want to be able to send audio to the AVR and the video to the TV but the BD35 has only 1 HDMI out. And hence the need for a 1x2 HDMI splitter.

According to the OM, the AVR347 has "Simplay HD-verified HDMI 1 and 2 with audio/video processing, 1080p pass-through and repeater for increased cable lengths without signal degradation." Can't you connect the BD35 via HDMI to the AVR, then via HDMI from the AVR to the TV? If you still want to send video and audio separately, as far as I can tell the AVR347 doesn't decode the lossless audio formats, so you can connect using optical from the BD35 to the AVR and via HDMI from the BD35 to the TV.
post #11889 of 14978
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eben View Post

According to the OM, the AVR347 has "Simplay HD-verified HDMI 1 and 2 with audio/video processing, 1080p pass-through and repeater for increased cable lengths without signal degradation." Can't you connect the BD35 via HDMI to the AVR, then via HDMI from the AVR to the TV? If you still want to send video and audio separately, as far as I can tell the AVR347 doesn't decode the lossless audio formats, so you can connect using optical from the BD35 to the AVR and via HDMI from the BD35 to the TV.

Thanks for your input Eben. I have the components connected as you have described right now.

BD35 --> HDMI --> AVR347 --> HDMI --> TV

However I cannot get 24p working with this setting and hence was exploring sending separate audio and video signals to the AVR and TV separately. The AVR does 1080p passthrough and all well and also plays multi channel PCM via HDMI. Only thing missing is the 24p thru the AVR.
post #11890 of 14978
Quote:
Originally Posted by psp_AVS View Post

Thanks for your input Eben. I have the components connected as you have described right now.

BD35 --> HDMI --> AVR347 --> HDMI --> TV

However I cannot get 24p working with this setting and hence was exploring sending separate audio and video signals to the AVR and TV separately. The AVR does 1080p passthrough and all well and also plays multi channel PCM via HDMI. Only thing missing is the 24p thru the AVR.

Gotcha. Well, I'd be following in your footsteps, too, as I'd want to keep the ability to play multichannel PCM. Have you tried playing with the order in which you turn the various components on, as this sounds like a handshake issue.
post #11891 of 14978
Quote:
Originally Posted by psp_AVS View Post

Thanks for your input Eben. I have the components connected as you have described right now.

BD35 --> HDMI --> AVR347 --> HDMI --> TV

However I cannot get 24p working with this setting and hence was exploring sending separate audio and video signals to the AVR and TV separately. The AVR does 1080p passthrough and all well and also plays multi channel PCM via HDMI. Only thing missing is the 24p thru the AVR.

There are comments in the AVR347 thread, including this one, that 24p was added in a firmware upgrade. So you might read that thread and determine if yours has the upgraded firmware installed.
post #11892 of 14978
Quote:
Originally Posted by blu-ray-rookie View Post

I have an HDTV projector, but the screen I have is too small to fit a 16:9 setup, so I have it configured for 4:3. The projector does support 24p because if I switch the BD35 to "16:9", it outputs 24p, and my projector switches from 60p to 24p. However, if the BD35 is configured "4:3", it doesn't output 24p.

I would think that it wouldn't matter what the aspect ratio is set for on the BD35 as long as the display can handle 24p.

I guess I need to buy a bigger screen, but that would require me to reconfigure my theater. I was smart enough to set it up for 7.1 sound 8 years ago, but I guess I didn't think about the screen part of it.

The BD35 can be set to output to two types of tv: 4:3 (standard definition) and 16:9 (HDTV widescreen). Based on the owner's manual (page 32) it would appear that when you tell the 35 you are outputting to a 4:3 tv, it is defaulting to 480i or maybe 480p. 24 fps is only available with 1080p. Unless you can force the 35 to output 1080p in 4:3 mode, you will not get 24 fps.
post #11893 of 14978
Arcam AVR300 + BD55 setup headache, can you help? I'm only getting the front L & R to test out during the setup. All other channels are silent. I wrestled with it for a couple of hours last night with no luck. Everything worked okay via the digital output. Could you share your setup with me and any other pertinent info? Thanks!
post #11894 of 14978
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundgardner View Post

Arcam AVR300 + BD55 setup headache, can you help? I'm only getting the front L & R to test out during the setup. All other channels are silent. I wrestled with it for a couple of hours last night with no luck. Everything worked okay via the digital output. Could you share your setup with me and any other pertinent info? Thanks!

Sure. But, first, what are you trying to do - an analog setup? How many channels and what configuration have you done with the player? When you say only the L & R test out, what kind of test are you doing?
post #11895 of 14978
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundgardner View Post

Arcam AVR300 + BD55 setup headache, can you help? I'm only getting the front L & R to test out during the setup. All other channels are silent. I wrestled with it for a couple of hours last night with no luck. Everything worked okay via the digital output. Could you share your setup with me and any other pertinent info? Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

Sure. But, first, what are you trying to do - an analog setup? How many channels and what configuration have you done with the player? When you say only the L & R test out, what kind of test are you doing?

Well, a quick search shows that the AVR300 (came out in 2005), although it supports 7.1 channels, only has optical/coax digital inputs and 7.1 channel analog inputs.

So the question I would ask is: Are the instructions on page 34 of the BD35/55 owner's manual being followed correctly?
post #11896 of 14978
Thanks for the replies. It had been a late night and I neglected to switch the AVR300 to 'DVD-A' to steer to the analogue feed. Whatever else I had it doing, who knows. Its making good sound now. The picture is being produced by an older Sony HD 4:3 front projector via component cables & I'm sorting out the best format combination. I'm sure I'll have some more questions as I tinker with the setup.
post #11897 of 14978
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHS View Post

Hmmm, part of the update annoyance is waiting for the download. A preferred method would be a background download and a startup-time prod that an update is available. Or does MS hold a patent on this technique?

good point...that would be a nice change to how it currently works...of course, there will still be people that don't use their player (and never turn it on) for a month or more at a clip and still get prompted with a new firmware that might be required for the new disc they are about to play...so it wouldn't save everyone time, but it would save most people time
post #11898 of 14978
Quote:
Originally Posted by psp_AVS View Post

Thanks for your input Eben. I have the components connected as you have described right now.

BD35 --> HDMI --> AVR347 --> HDMI --> TV

However I cannot get 24p working with this setting and hence was exploring sending separate audio and video signals to the AVR and TV separately. The AVR does 1080p passthrough and all well and also plays multi channel PCM via HDMI. Only thing missing is the 24p thru the AVR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mitchell View Post

There are comments in the AVR347 thread, including this one, that 24p was added in a firmware upgrade. So you might read that thread and determine if yours has the upgraded firmware installed.

+1

I have the AVR247 and 24P didn't work for me until I did the Firmware Update. Now everything works nicely.
post #11899 of 14978
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfame View Post

Do you have an SD card in your player? If so, try removing it. That worked for me.

Yeah, I do. I just used my PS3 to watch the movie. I sent the movie back yesterday. I just found it odd that the movie played in my PS3 with no issues and would not play in the BD35. This is the 1st Blu-Ray that would not play in the BD35

Can you get the movie again and try it in the BD35 without the SD card installed? I'm just curious if that will fix the problem for you as well; it's worked for two of us, and if it works for more (perhaps everyone) then maybe Panasonic can actually fix something quickly without us having to wait for a few months.
post #11900 of 14978
So, can I burn a CD-R with the version 1.8 from Panasonic web site (North America), because I don't plug my BD55 to my computer?

And, what does the version 1.8 adds or fix?

And, is it safe, meaning no problems audio or video wise?

Will greatly appreciate.

Regards,

Bob
post #11901 of 14978
Help...I'm in trouble big time....
I lost my bd-55k remote and dont seem to be able to find a replacement.
So, bought a Harmony One but apparently, the BD-55K codes are not in the Harmony database and is not a listed device.

Need help to find a replacement or are there BD-55k codes that can be 'copied' to the H-One....
post #11902 of 14978
Quote:
Originally Posted by zorro18 View Post

Help...I'm in trouble big time....
I lost my bd-55k remote and dont seem to be able to find a replacement.
So, bought a Harmony One but apparently, the BD-55K codes are not in the Harmony database and is not a listed device.

Need help to find a replacement or are there BD-55k codes that can be 'copied' to the H-One....

Try the BD35 or BD30 or BD50. I know the remote for my BD35 was the same as my BD30 and BD50.
post #11903 of 14978
Quote:
Originally Posted by zorro18 View Post

Help...I'm in trouble big time....
I lost my bd-55k remote and dont seem to be able to find a replacement.
So, bought a Harmony One but apparently, the BD-55K codes are not in the Harmony database and is not a listed device.

Need help to find a replacement or are there BD-55k codes that can be 'copied' to the H-One....

absolutely not true...I have the 55 and use a harmony 1100....

in the setup, add device, dvd, dvd player, panasonic, then DMP-BD55
(note, leave off the K)...
post #11904 of 14978
I have the BD55 loaded into my Harmony 880 as well. The codes are in the Logitech database as others have noted already.
post #11905 of 14978
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordoftherings View Post

So, can I burn a CD-R with the version 1.8 from Panasonic web site (North America), because I don't plug my BD55 to my computer?


Yes you can. First download the file to your PC's hard-drive. Then uncompress the file. Then you burn the uncompress file to a CD-R.

Personally, I didn't install version 1.8 on my BD55 yet, but that's how I updated my player's firmware.



Danny
post #11906 of 14978
Quote:
Originally Posted by zorro18 View Post

Help...I'm in trouble big time....
I lost my bd-55k remote and dont seem to be able to find a replacement.
So, bought a Harmony One but apparently, the BD-55K codes are not in the Harmony database and is not a listed device.

Need help to find a replacement or are there BD-55k codes that can be 'copied' to the H-One....

No (serious) problems with the database for the BD-35 on both an 880 and H1. I did have a few commands in the database that did not function... I just relearned those few commands from the OE remote. No big deal (well, maybe if you don't have OE remote, lol).

Seriously, the majority of the commands are the same across virtually all Panasonic DVD and BD players... they ARE on the database. Just make sure you enter the full model number.
post #11907 of 14978
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalabria View Post

no (serious) problems with the database for the bd-35 on both an 880 and h1. I did have a few commands in the database that did not function... I just relearned those few commands from the oe remote. No big deal.

+1
post #11908 of 14978
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Paw View Post

+1

I have the AVR247 and 24P didn't work for me until I did the Firmware Update. Now everything works nicely.

Many thanks for that update! I will go home and update my AVR-347 tonight and report results..
post #11909 of 14978
Heres a quick question regarding the Logitech remotes (880) running 2 Pana DVD players.

I still have my RP82 for DVD-A purposes and recently picked up a BD55.....of course when I hit the button to "watch movies", both players turn on. I just manually turn off the RP82.

Any idea's on how to alleviate this situation or am I stuck?
post #11910 of 14978
Hi. Can anyone help with Secondary Audio feature? For example, I am playing The Incredible Hulk and I see the Picture In Picture but I cannot hear any audio from that second picture. I put the secondary audio ON in the Setup menu of the player. I also tried with both Bitstream and PCM. Does any other setting affect this? How about that Downmix or PCM convert option in the Audio menu also? Is there a volume up down control for just that PIP audio by the way?

I am not sure if it has already been covered in this huge thread....

Thanks.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official Panasonic DMP-BD35/55 Owners Thread