or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official Panasonic DMP-BD35/55 Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Panasonic DMP-BD35/55 Owners Thread - Page 405

post #12121 of 14978
On the Panny BD55 I got a copyright violation message when trying to load Quantum of Solace. Since I had not updated frimware since buying unit I downloaded v1.8. Qof S started to play so I thought all was well ad turned it off for later viewing. At later viewing copyright violation error message resurfaced. Tried many times with no success. I now have latest firmware but QofS will not play. Can anyone help me understand why it will not play or what I can do?
post #12122 of 14978
My BD-55 played Quantum just fine. Maybe you got a bad copy.
post #12123 of 14978
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddieg516 View Post

I've played about 10 movies since I got this player and on 2 (or maybe 3) of them I had this instance where the movie slowed or stopped and it looked like the computerized image was showing the "layers" of the image, if that makes any sense. Is this a result of a dirty disc, or should I send the player in for repair?

Thanks!

Eddie

This is a common problem with pirated copies where the computer/buffer/burner hasn't been fast enough to keep up with either the ripping, or the authoring, or the burning.

I have seen this happen with pirated copies. However, my daughter bought a copy of Cursed, which was being retired from the local video shop, and it had the same artifacts and freezing (some of the worst I've seen). It makes you wonder how far-reaching the pirating extends.
post #12124 of 14978
Does anyone have the remote codes to use the BD35 with an Onkyo 876 receiver ? I must say, I'm very happy with the performance of this unit. Especially at the price.

Now if only I could use my Onkyo remote instead of using another remote.

Regards,
post #12125 of 14978
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordo View Post

This is a common problem with pirated copies where the computer/buffer/burner hasn't been fast enough to keep up with either the ripping, or the authoring, or the burning.

I have seen this happen with pirated copies. However, my daughter bought a copy of Cursed, which was being retired from the local video shop, and it had the same artifacts and freezing (some of the worst I've seen). It makes you wonder how far-reaching the pirating extends.

Now what is really strange is that I got my movies from Netfilx. The movies it happened with were Ratattoulie and Chicken Little, both animated. I don't recall it happening with live action movies.

With Chicken Little I also got a message about copyright violation!!
post #12126 of 14978
go....

If I understand your question you are asking in the wrong forum. You need to ask in the forum that has information about the Onkyo remote. The receiver forum.
post #12127 of 14978
I have a month old panny bd35 and it has been working great but noticed a possible problem with my last 2 movies. During the battle scene in Troy and during a part near the middle of Taken there was a very quick flash where all the color changed and then the scene went back to normal. Kind of like a flash bulb went off or something. Lasted only a second or so and the disks otherwise played perfectly. Does that occassionally happen with blu ray or is it the beginning of a problem with my player? Thanks for the help.
post #12128 of 14978
Quote:
Originally Posted by raidersrock View Post

I have a month old panny bd35 and it has been working great but noticed a possible problem with my last 2 movies. During the battle scene in Troy and during a part near the middle of Taken there was a very quick flash where all the color changed and then the scene went back to normal. Kind of like a flash bulb went off or something. Lasted only a second or so and the disks otherwise played perfectly. Does that occassionally happen with blu ray or is it the beginning of a problem with my player? Thanks for the help.

Probably the player. I have a DVD player that does something like that. Possibly static related, don't really know. With DVDs it kind of looks like a hiccup, the amount of the picture disturbed varying randomly from just a small area to some rather large ones; typically it looks like what happens when my satellite TV latches onto a channel when switching channels (lots of large multicolored square-ish blocks), but not quite so extreme (i.e., not the entire screen). Happens maybe once or twice a night (on that player, which I don't use so much any more, for this particular reason among others). And yes, you can go back and replay that part of the disc and it won't/can't be repeated.
post #12129 of 14978
Not sure it will address what you have seen raid... but I've learned that if I have not done full reset after firmware updates, I see all sorts of weird stuff. While a full reset is not s.o.p. for firmware updates, me I've started doing that and am glad.

So if you've done a firmware update and have not done full reset, may want to try it.
post #12130 of 14978
Popped a Star Trek: TOS Blu-ray into my Panny BD-35 player. I wanted to do some switching back and forth between the original and revised effects, which is supported with the 'angle' button.

I was disappointed to realize for the first time that the remote for this player does not have an 'angle' button (never needed this button before and so didn't pay attention). Switching between angles requires bringing up the pop-up menu or the status overlay. In both cases large parts of the screen are obscured and it's not exactly a nice experience.

Am I missing something on this -- is there a nicer way to dynamically select multi angles on this player?

Come to think of it, there's no 'audio' or 'subtitle' buttons either. Maybe for BD these are less needed because of better menu structure on BD software, but for DVDs I could imagine that the lack of these buttons would be painful for some.

What am I missing?
post #12131 of 14978
i recently noticed the subtitle button, or lack thereof, recently too.
post #12132 of 14978
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddieg516 View Post

Now what is really strange is that I got my movies from Netfilx. The movies it happened with were Ratattoulie and Chicken Little, both animated. I don't recall it happening with live action movies.

With Chicken Little I also got a message about copyright violation!!

This is a bad disk...alert NF to send you another one.
post #12133 of 14978
Quote:
Originally Posted by tai4de2 View Post

Come to think of it, there's no 'audio' or 'subtitle' buttons either. Maybe for BD these are less needed because of better menu structure on BD software, but for DVDs I could imagine that the lack of these buttons would be painful for some.

What am I missing?

See p. 15 of the manual regarding item 17 (select audio button is below #9 and next to 0). As for subtitles, you're stuck with the menu buttons.
post #12134 of 14978
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCVOL View Post

On the Panny BD55 I got a copyright violation message when trying to load Quantum of Solace. Since I had not updated frimware since buying unit I downloaded v1.8. Qof S started to play so I thought all was well ad turned it off for later viewing. At later viewing copyright violation error message resurfaced. Tried many times with no success. I now have latest firmware but QofS will not play. Can anyone help me understand why it will not play or what I can do?


Hi,

I had the same thing happen on the BD-35. It also happened with the "Australia" Blu-ray disk. I even updated the Firmware to 1.8 but the issue did not go away. I finally called Panasonic and took it to one of the repair shops. They replaced the PCB under warranty and so far it seems to be doing fine.

If it is still under warranty, it would be best to have them look at it.

Regards

Alay
post #12135 of 14978
A question for all you who are looking at Blu_Ray as a possible 2 channel audiophile hirez music source (I already consider it a hirez mch music source with releases like Divertimenti, etc.)....

So I attended an incredible demo at CES by legendary recording engineer/producer Bill Schnee (partnered with his Sheffield labs co-founder Doug Sax in producing 24/192 BluRay stereo recordings). The sound was fabulous, and i'm not easily impressed. However, it won't be released until profile 3 (?) is released (audio only). But in the meantime there are snippets of great audio coming out, like next month's Neil Young Archives Vol. 1 set. The audio will be uncompressed PCM 24/192 (or 24/96 for the standard DVD set). The question is this: have any of you figured out how to get that great 24/192 to your main rig without compromising it by sending though a good-but-not-great processor built for movie surround use? I have a hi-end 2 channel system that is part of my HT (along with 5.1 hirez music and 7.1 movie surrounds) but now realizing that my DAC wil only see 24/96 out the the BD35's digital out. My alternatives are:
* BD35 digital out (limited to 24/96)
* BD35 analog outs (question the quality of the BD35 analog stage, or whether there is any downsampling done to the 24/192 before it reaches the analog outs)
* BD35 to Denon 3808 via HDMI, then 3808 analog outs (good but not great analog stage in 3808)

Anybody care about this angle on Blu-Ray, and it's capability in the Panny BD35? Thanks
Ted
post #12136 of 14978
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted_b View Post

However, it won't be released until profile 3 (?) is released (audio only).

Profile 3 just means the player is audio only. There's nothing special about the disk or the encoding. So there's no reason the disks can't be released right now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray...layer_profiles

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=58797
post #12137 of 14978
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk20 View Post

Profile 3 just means the player is audio only. There's nothing special about the disk or the encoding. So there's no reason the disks can't be released right now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray...layer_profiles

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=58797

Agreed. And they know that; it's their decision and they are waiting for the cleanest HDMI signal (audio only; split from video) for their product. Oh well.
post #12138 of 14978
I just saw 1.9 on the website. I haven't had a chance to download it yet.
post #12139 of 14978
I was fairly happy with the BD-35 connected to my other system via component video, but I am really disappointed with the quality I am getting with the component video to my old Sony Trinitron. You can barely even read the text in the iRobot Blu-ray menu instructions. I can't believe that Panasonic wouldn't at least include s-video on a Blu-ray player and I know I get better composite output from DVDs on my OPPO player.
post #12140 of 14978
Quote:
Originally Posted by miata View Post

I was fairly happy with the BD-35 connected to my other system via component video, but I am really disappointed with the quality I am getting with the component video to my old Sony Trinitron. You can barely even read the text in the iRobot Blu-ray menu instructions. I can't believe that Panasonic wouldn't at least include s-video on a Blu-ray player and I know I get better composite output from DVDs on my OPPO player.

If it was fine when connected to your other system, then it sounds like an issue with your Sony TV and not the BD-35.
post #12141 of 14978
Quote:
Originally Posted by miata View Post

I was fairly happy with the BD-35 connected to my other system via component video, but I am really disappointed with the quality I am getting with the component video to my old Sony Trinitron. You can barely even read the text in the iRobot Blu-ray menu instructions. I can't believe that Panasonic wouldn't at least include s-video on a Blu-ray player and I know I get better composite output from DVDs on my OPPO player.

Craig rather has a point there. Old Sony tubes are best suited for watching LD's, VHS, and 4/3 DVD's. I kept my last one for just that purpose.
post #12142 of 14978
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCooper View Post

If it was fine when connected to your other system, then it sounds like an issue with your Sony TV and not the BD-35.

No. The TV is fine. The problem is with not having an s-video connector on a relatively expensive BD player. As I mentioned earlier the quality of Blu-ray from the BD-35 is less than DVD from an OPPO player via composite. Make no sense. I have 2 other Blu-ray players connected to HDTVs and I knew that I wasn't going to get anything close to that on the Trinitron. I just expected that Blu-ray would always look better than DVD and that is not the case with the BD-35 connected to an older TV.
post #12143 of 14978
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mojo View Post

I just saw 1.9 on the website. I haven't had a chance to download it yet.

I'm not seeing it. Still shows 1.8 when I checked a few seconds ago.
post #12144 of 14978
Quote:
Originally Posted by miata View Post

No. The TV is fine....

Then hook it up with worthy source components like a Pioneer LD player or a Sony Super Beta.... or watch home movies on it...

"A tube is a terrible thing to waste"
post #12145 of 14978
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted_b View Post

Agreed. And they know that; it's their decision and they are waiting for the cleanest HDMI signal (audio only; split from video) for their product. Oh well.

Too pedantic--they need to acknowledge that some players have turn-off-all-the-video capabilities and are really good analog-only players.
post #12146 of 14978
"Originally Posted by 30XS955 User

With that being said, the executives at Toshy are still a lot smarter than our president, who doesn't seem to know when to pull the plug on projects which hemorrhage money."

You mean like the war in iraq, or the war on drugs, or the mission to Mars, or abstinence-only sex "education", or etc. etc. etc.?

Oh, sorry, previous president.
post #12147 of 14978
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbsyst View Post

I'm not seeing it. Still shows 1.8 when I checked a few seconds ago.

Greetings,

1.9 is currently downloading to my BD-55.


Regards,
post #12148 of 14978
People of course will need to recheck any problematic disks now.
post #12149 of 14978
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael Bellomy View Post

Then hook it up with worthy source components like a Pioneer LD player or a Sony Super Beta.... or watch home movies on it...

"A tube is a terrible thing to waste"

I'm pretty sure that a Pioneer LD player or a Sony Super Beta won't play my Blu-ray discs. The problem is that I have built up a decent Blu-ray collection and sometimes people want to watch them on the 3rd TV. I expected that the quality of Blu-rays on that TV would be as good as DVDs look on the same TV.

I realize that most people are not be using these connections today, but it is only a matter of time before more people migrate BLu-ray players to second or third non-HD TVs in bedrooms.
post #12150 of 14978
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbsyst View Post

I'm not seeing it. Still shows 1.8 when I checked a few seconds ago.

Many people go to the wrong site to get the latest firmware update.

May 21, 2009 | DMP-BD55 Firmware Download for North America and Europe/UK/CIS.
& DMP-BD35 Firmware Download for all regions:

Link


Paul
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official Panasonic DMP-BD35/55 Owners Thread