or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official Panasonic DMP-BD35/55 Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Panasonic DMP-BD35/55 Owners Thread - Page 497

post #14881 of 14978
Quote:
Originally Posted by HofstraJet View Post

As I apparently incited the lossless debate with my comment about current players with analog outs (sorry about that),

No problem. It was a fun read. wink.gif

Quote:
I'll throw this idea out there for the OP: Have you considered the HD Fury which converts HDMI to component? I have been using the original HD Fury for years between my Lumagen and my 73" Mitsubishi RPTV and it has been rock solid. They have several newer flavors now. http://www.hdfury.com/


I have considered it, but my tv is about 10 years old and it's already showing signs (I already fixed it myself 2 years ago when it gave me the "blinking green light of death") of old age (convergence need adjustment more often, one of the CRTs already shows signs of aging).

Anyway, both my PS3 and this Blu-Ray player has outlived all my first, second, and third DVD players combine.






Danny
post #14882 of 14978
Forget the Panasonic and treat yourself to an Oppo.
post #14883 of 14978
^I'd agree with HofstraJet, the OP's more pressing problem is that modern, replacement BD players lack component HD video out. Since AV receivers and prepro's never convert HDMI into component out (regardless of price) a new(or used) one of those won't help out either. Short of buying a new TV, the HD Fury (or a similar box, some of which are still sold in the US on Amazon for under $100) would make sense.
post #14884 of 14978
We've given the OP a number of options to explore including cleaning his current player to see if that addresses his playback issues or a number of other player models he can look for that have the features he wants in order to continue using his non-hdmi equipment.
post #14885 of 14978
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich86 View Post

We've given the OP a number of options to explore including cleaning his current player to see if that addresses his playback issues or a number of other player models he can look for that have the features he wants in order to continue using his non-hdmi equipment.


I've never taken my Blu-Ray apart for any type of cleaning since I never had any playback problems, before.
But, wouldn't a dirty lens affect the play ability of all disc, not just a selective few?



Danny
post #14886 of 14978
A dirty lens can, at times, alter the playback of some discs yet not others.

A quick blast of compressed air, being careful not to tilt the can downward and accidentally expelling liquid, can often work wonders.
post #14887 of 14978
Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post

A dirty lens can, at times, alter the playback of some discs yet not others.

A quick blast of compressed air, being careful not to tilt the can downward and accidentally expelling liquid, can often work wonders.


Well, I tried this last night and there was no difference. I'l probably take it apart and clean the lens directly when I get the chance.



Danny
post #14888 of 14978
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Perales View Post

Well, I tried this last night and there was no difference. I'l probably take it apart and clean the lens directly when I get the chance.Danny

I have been able to clean laser lens assemblies of players with long handled q-tips and denatured alcohol. I've used the compressed air can to blow out loose dust, clean the laser assembly very gently with the q-tip dipped in denatured alcohol, followed by the compressed air again to make sure any remaining alcohol inside evaporates. If the issue is dirt on the assembly, this should help. If the issue is an out of adjustment or failing laser assembly, then cleaning won't matter.
post #14889 of 14978
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleaman View Post

I'm at 13 months and waiting for it to die. It does some loud/grinding (almost) searching when 1st putting a disc in, It does this with Blu or DVD discs though and the DVD discs seem to make more noise than the Blu's.
So far this hasn't affected playback. Search/load times might of been affected, but it's hard to tell since every disc is different and I didn't time them before the loud driver noises.
My Panny XP30 (DVD) player makes the same noise, but gets stuck with playback and loading. I will probably take it apart and clean it (had luck with older CD players in the past).
Geez, I thought Panny's were on the higher-end of build quality, to match the PQ. If my BD35 dies I'm leaning towards the Oppo Blu, even though it's more than 3x the price of the BD35's replacement, the BD60.

I have a Panasonic DMP-BD55 that makes a grinding noise when loading up a blu-ray, and when stopping it afterwards. It doesn't seem to happen with DVDs, but happens far too often with blu-rays.
I saw a number of posts in here discussing this type problem, but did not see any resolution. Has anyone found a fix? Did the drives in your players eventually give up the ghost? How did folks take care of this?
btw - this player remains cinavia free with its most recent firmware (2.4) in case someone cares about that.
Edited by Rich86 - 3/13/13 at 4:45pm
post #14890 of 14978
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich86 View Post

I have a Panasonic DMP-BD55 that makes a grinding noise when loading up a blu-ray, and when stopping it afterwards. It doesn't seem to happen with DVDs, but happens far too often with blu-rays.
I saw a number of posts in here discussing this type problem, but did not see any resolution. Has anyone found a fix? Did the drives in your players eventually give up the ghost? How did folks take care of this?
btw - this player remains cinavia free with its most recent firmware (2.4) in case someone cares about that.

So - has anyone ever opened up the drive module that sits inside this player? It looks like 4 screws on the top will permit access to the guts for cleaning, checking, etc?

Update: Well, I took the player cover off and opened the sealed internal drive assembly (4 screws on top and gently release tab in rear and lift top cover off). I cleaned the laser lens assembly (both lasers) with a q-tip using denatured alcohol and removed a bunch of stuff/crud from inside the drive unit (dust/dirt balls on the rails the laser assembly rides on towards the end of the rails, hair, etc.). I was careful not to disturb or contaminate the lubricating grease on the rails. I also cleaned the small round platter the center of the disc rides on (there was crud all over the rubberized portion of it). Put it back together and been using it since. So far, so good - plays fine and no grinding noises. We'll see if this is just a tease, or the problem is actually fixed.
Edited by Rich86 - 4/15/13 at 11:39pm
post #14891 of 14978
I too was having a similar grindy noise with my BD35 player. It had gotten noisy in the last month or so, and tonight it started getting sound gaps and video artifacts. The video was freezing etc. too. So, opened it up and things were actually pretty clean. But, I noticed the rail was pretty much shiny and unlubricated, with the grease lined up on the sides. So I cut off the end of a Q-Tip and gently redistributed the grease onto the shiny dry parts of the rail until it was somewhat uniformly coated. Back together, same disc with the issue, same spot - and viola! During the loading there was no more grinding and things are playing great. I think the dry rail was causing the head to bind. Not sure what kind of grease would be good to add, I'm hoping just putting it back on the rail will do the trick for another 5 years.

Hope this helps someone else - appreciate the post above which helped get me going!
post #14892 of 14978
^ good work!
post #14893 of 14978
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemingray View Post

I too was having a similar grindy noise with my BD35 player. It had gotten noisy in the last month or so, and tonight it started getting sound gaps and video artifacts. The video was freezing etc. too. So, opened it up and things were actually pretty clean. But, I noticed the rail was pretty much shiny and unlubricated, with the grease lined up on the sides. So I cut off the end of a Q-Tip and gently redistributed the grease onto the shiny dry parts of the rail until it was somewhat uniformly coated. Back together, same disc with the issue, same spot - and viola! During the loading there was no more grinding and things are playing great. I think the dry rail was causing the head to bind. Not sure what kind of grease would be good to add, I'm hoping just putting it back on the rail will do the trick for another 5 years.

Hope this helps someone else - appreciate the post above which helped get me going!

Glad your 35 is working better. My 55 seems to be doing fine also. The head assembly rides across a pair of rails. In my case, 1 of the rails had lubricant distributed across the rail, and the other looked shiny, but I could see lubricant sitting on both ends of the head assembly part that rides on the rails - so I left it alone.
I read elsewhere that the condition of the center rubber hub assembly that the center of the disc rides on is also an issue frequently in these players. It gets dirty and the disc no longer stays secure, causing slippage, noises and read errors. So cleaning it is also something to consider if it starts acting up again.
post #14894 of 14978
hmm, interesting. my Bd335 is working just fine, most of the time. TAKEN 2 froze up the machine at about 15mins into the movie, nothing fixed it. the next movies since, worked just fine. idk. i have been thinking it was the disc's.
post #14895 of 14978
Speaking of discs, The Last Stand, internally decoded DTS-HD MA fed as multichannel PCM from the 35 to my receiver, exhibited several audio dropouts during movie play. When I checked over at blu-ray.com others had the same thing happen with their Panasonic players of various vintages, and streamed to their players undecoded. Other player brands seemed to be okay. So do not attempt to adjust your dials, it's apparently some mix of either firmware or hardware in the player.
post #14896 of 14978
Can anyone tell me why there hasn't been an upgrade firmware on this unit since 2011? Nearly everyone of my new Blu-ray's do not play on this unit. The old Blu- rays do. So I have to think it is a firmware issue. Anyone else with this problem?
post #14897 of 14978
Quote:
Originally Posted by gosman View Post

Can anyone tell me why there hasn't been an upgrade firmware on this unit since 2011? Nearly everyone of my new Blu-ray's do not play on this unit. The old Blu- rays do. So I have to think it is a firmware issue. Anyone else with this problem?

It's been a long time since there was a firmware update (according to their website, version 2.4 from 2011).

That said, except for the 2 or 3 I've mentioned recently, I've had minimal problems with either new discs, or old ones. The BD35 is still my blu-ray workhorse, but the once in a while blu-rays that are problematic (Total Recall being the last big problem disc, worse apparently on my machine than I've had anyone else concur about) work ok on my newer Oppo 93. I rarely hardly ever used any of the network features.
post #14898 of 14978
Quote:
Originally Posted by gosman View Post

Can anyone tell me why there hasn't been an upgrade firmware on this unit since 2011? Nearly everyone of my new Blu-ray's do not play on this unit. The old Blu- rays do. So I have to think it is a firmware issue. Anyone else with this problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmalczewski View Post

It's been a long time since there was a firmware update (according to their website, version 2.4 from 2011).

That said, except for the 2 or 3 I've mentioned recently, I've had minimal problems with either new discs, or old ones. The BD35 is still my blu-ray workhorse, but the once in a while blu-rays that are problematic (Total Recall being the last big problem disc, worse apparently on my machine than I've had anyone else concur about) work ok on my newer Oppo 93. I rarely hardly ever used any of the network features.

I have not loaded a firmware update in a long long time. I have not had ANY issues with any playback and I have been been renting primarily through netflix with zero issues.
post #14899 of 14978
Quote:
Originally Posted by kezug View Post


I have not loaded a firmware update in a long long time. I have not had ANY issues with any playback and I have been been renting primarily through netflix with zero issues.

me too
post #14900 of 14978
Nor have I. Original firmware, all discs pay just fine, although I haven't tried many really recent releases.
Edited by BIslander - 7/7/13 at 12:45pm
post #14901 of 14978
Any of you no problemo's try out the Total Recall blu? (The remake) Or listen to The Last Stand blu's audio for dropout issues there?
post #14902 of 14978
I mostly rent from Red Box. Most will not play on the 55 of mine. I recently bought Breaking Bad season 5. Some episodes play OK, others do not. Does anyone have the Panasonic phone number so I can call and ask why no firmware upgrade in two years>
post #14903 of 14978
Quote:
Originally Posted by gosman View Post

I mostly rent from Red Box. Most will not play on the 55 of mine. I recently bought Breaking Bad season 5. Some episodes play OK, others do not. Does anyone have the Panasonic phone number so I can call and ask why no firmware upgrade in two years>

Here you go
post #14904 of 14978
Quote:
Originally Posted by gosman View Post

I mostly rent from Red Box. Most will not play on the 55 of mine. I recently bought Breaking Bad season 5. Some episodes play OK, others do not. Does anyone have the Panasonic phone number so I can call and ask why no firmware upgrade in two years>

Have you tried cleaning their play sides? Or are they maybe scratched a little?

The only way to be sure is to try some brand new discs. I never bothered with dvd or blu rentals myself, or hardly ever with used even.

Maybe you got some rental gunk in your player. smile.gif
post #14905 of 14978
Quote:
Originally Posted by gosman View Post

I mostly rent from Red Box. Most will not play on the 55 of mine. I recently bought Breaking Bad season 5. Some episodes play OK, others do not. Does anyone have the Panasonic phone number so I can call and ask why no firmware upgrade in two years>

some info that might be applicable starting here:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1075161/official-panasonic-dmp-bd35-55-owners-thread/14800_100#post_23088993
post #14906 of 14978
Recently changed tvs. The BD35 now seems to have issues retaining its 1080p setting. New tv supports 1080p/24, old one was just 1080p.

Set player to 1080p/24, switch to another input, switch back and it's now set for automatic and 1080i is what it automatically sets itself to. (Approx.) Did the same thing with Oppo 93 and it stays set to 1080p/24 (double checking a bit later).

Anybody recall this for the previous 496 pages (I seem to)? Anybody recall there being a way to force the BD35/55 1080p/24 setting to stick (I don't seem to)?
post #14907 of 14978
I bought a BD55 because my old AVR didn't decode lossless. At that time I used component for most of the video. About a year ago I replaced my AVR with a Denon AVR-1911 and switched all the video to HDMI for ease of use (my TV, a Toshiba 57H84 rptv, has only one HDMI input). So about a month ago I added Starz/Encore to my DirecTV account -- initially the HD channels wouldn't play because of known HDMI handshake issues. On a whim, I went online and reauthorized my DirecTV account and the next day the HD movie channels were playing fine. However, last weekend they stopped working again, and when I tried to play a Blu-ray movie on the BD55 I got the dreaded U73 error. Nothing I tried -- swapping HDMI cables, order of powering on BD player/TV/AVR, etc. -- worked, so I had to switch back to component to get the BD55 to work properly again. Any clue about why the BD55 would go from being fine to U73?
post #14908 of 14978
U73 is an HDMI handshake error for video. First step is to turn off Deep Color in the player settings. While you're there, also set the player to 4:2:2. If that doesn't work, the next step is to bypass the AVR and connect directly to the TV using HDMI. If it works, then the problem is with the receiver. I have had problems connecting through older receivers.

S~
post #14909 of 14978
In the last couple of weeks my BD-35 has started (occasionally) displaying the screen as green when it boots up. Thus far, reseating the HDMI cable and/or rebooting it seems to resolve the issue, but I'm wondering if there is something else I can/should do.

Anyone else seen this and/or have suggestions?
post #14910 of 14978
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoone View Post

In the last couple of weeks my BD-35 has started (occasionally) displaying the screen as green when it boots up. Thus far, reseating the HDMI cable and/or rebooting it seems to resolve the issue, but I'm wondering if there is something else I can/should do.

Anyone else seen this and/or have suggestions?

99% cable/connection issue
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official Panasonic DMP-BD35/55 Owners Thread