or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official Panasonic DMP-BD35/55 Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Panasonic DMP-BD35/55 Owners Thread - Page 314

post #9391 of 14978
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip C. View Post

Kind of a different question but do any of you all have the HDMI RGB setting set to enhanced? Wasn't sure if it's best to leave it on standard or if the picture is better set to enhanced?

Thanks in advance!

I leave it normal. The only picture adjsutments I use are from the TV.
post #9392 of 14978
Quote:
Originally Posted by cohkr View Post

I know the Viera Link is off. Where do I go to disable the RIHD and Power Control on the Onkyo? Do you have to turn your components on in a certain order? I have tried many different combinations, but am willing to stand on my head if that would help too!

The display on the Onkyo seems to be searching for a connection- the HDMI light goes off/on at regular intervals- when the BD-35, 606, and projector all connected and on- Would that have something to do with the power control or RIHD being on?

Thx

Check your Onkyo manual under advanced setup on page 81. I would also try a different HDMI cable between the BD-35 and the 606. Make sure it's 1.3 certified. Also make sure you have the lastest 1.6 firmware on your BD-35.
It sounds like the 606 is talking to the projector just fine so I feel the problem lies between the BR and the AVR.

Mike
post #9393 of 14978
I have had a BD-35 for about a month now,everything works great except that the unit has a vibration that changes in intensity as the disc plays.Is this a sign that this unit has a bad motor?
post #9394 of 14978
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGRR8T View Post

I leave it normal. The only picture adjsutments I use are from the TV.

Where are the HDMI RGB settings on the BD35?
post #9395 of 14978
is this true?
http://www.amazon.com/Major-BD35-may...sin=B001GAOYCS

will the new BD60/80 have resume play after ejecting the disc?
post #9396 of 14978
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2silber View Post

Could anyone tell me, or link me, to information on how to take advantage of the 'BD55's DivX capability? I know nothing about this technology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2silber View Post

Anyone?

I believe this is what they're referring to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DivX
post #9397 of 14978
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip C. View Post

Kind of a different question but do any of you all have the HDMI RGB setting set to enhanced? Wasn't sure if it's best to leave it on standard or if the picture is better set to enhanced?

Thanks in advance!

It depends on your TV. I need it set to Enhanced with my Mitsubishi LT-46131.
post #9398 of 14978
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVT View Post

I can't say as though I agree 100% with what you're saying; for starters, I don't think the Panasonic manual is clear at all; in fact, the way it is written in my opinion suggests that it decodes lossless rather than lossy.

What language suggests to you that it uses lossless when mixing secondary audio? But, I will back off from saying the manual is clear on the issue. Rather, it says both TrueHD and 7.1 PCM are output as 5.1 when SA is on.

Quote:


The next issue is you raised is that the player outputs PCM 7.1 as PCM 5.1; in my opinion this does not suggest it is lossy (what is lossy PCM anyway?);

Good point. With PCM, it has to be a downmix (as the manual says). I wonder why the player does that.

Quote:


as far as TrueHD 7.1 goes, the fact that it outputs it as 5.1 does not prove it is using the lossy track; it could just be downmixing to 5.1 (which in my opinion is what the manual states).

Where does the manual say that? But, yes, you are right. It could be a downmix.

Quote:


I'm not saying you're wrong; I'm just saying I'm not convinced (I'm leaving the door open to the possibility that something was lost in translation when Panasonic engineers communicated this info from Japan - e.g. possibly confusing downmixing with lossy).

Nope. And that's the bottom line here for me. The email was clear and unambiguous. It stated the players lack the processing power to decode HD and mix secondary audio, so they use the core instead.
post #9399 of 14978
Greetings all. My BD55 is just about a month old, and I've never had a problem with it until the other day.

We were watching Kung Fu Panda, and at the 1:05:07 mark, the player/disc suddenly locked up and refused to do anything. It was unresponsive to any remote button pushes, so I used the front panel power button to try and reboot it, but all it did was put up the "Please Wait" scrolling message - it would not shutdown or recover, so I eventually had to pull the power cord after a couple of minutes.

When plugged back it, it worked fine for the rest of the movie.

Notes:
*Disc was clean/scratch free
*When played a second time at that particular time stamp, it played right on through with no freeze-up
*1.6 firmware was installed two weeks prior to this incident with no problems subsequent

I'm not terribly concerned with it, but it does seem strange to me. Any thoughts/comments greatly appreciated.

~Skidpad
post #9400 of 14978
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasher123 View Post

is this true?
http://www.amazon.com/Major-BD35-may...sin=B001GAOYCS

will the new BD60/80 have resume play after ejecting the disc?

Read here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...l#post15383812
post #9401 of 14978
I had an issue with this on the first discs I played... the Planet Earth Blu-rays...

was worried I had a defective unit, as it was QUITE loud, and unacceptable. No other discs cause the player to exhibit the same behavior, though....



Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotlad View Post

I have had a BD-35 for about a month now,everything works great except that the unit has a vibration that changes in intensity as the disc plays.Is this a sign that this unit has a bad motor?
post #9402 of 14978
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVT View Post

Have you considered the possibility that you don't hear a difference because lossy tracks encoded at maximum bit rates on BD actually sound as good as lossless?

Yes I have considered this; in fact I spent a fair bit of time trying to make this determination when I first got into HDDVD in the fall of 2006; what I generally found was that I could in most cases quite easily tell the difference between DD+@640kbps and TrueHD finding a difference between DD+@1.5mbps and TrueHD was very difficult. So I'm in general agreement with your point.

However, what I was really getting at was that I haven't undertaken a proper comparison to attempt to determine if there is in fact a difference as I don't have two copies of the same title on blu-ray that contain secondary audio. As such, what I think I will do is attempt to determine if there is a difference switching back and forth between the Matrix on HDDVD and the Matrix on Blu-Ray both of which contain secondary audio; I will enable secondary audio on the 55 and then try to determine if there is a difference in SQ; if there is perhaps this may corroborate that the 55 is decoding the lossy track rather than TrueHD; if not, perhaps the information from Panasonic is incorrect and it really does decode the lossless track when secondary audio is present. I know this is not a scientific appraoch and regardless what I come up with I won't claim that I have a definitive answer; however, the lossy track on the Matrix is 640kbps and I have generally found that I can pick up differences between 640kbps DD and TrueHD.[/quote]
------------------------------------------------------------

1 - I was watching T.D.K. on a BD35 with Bitsteam out selected in all menu options, secondary audio off (menu), and TRUE HD selected with the remote (confirmed), fed via an optical connect to a DSP-A1 amp.

Result - fabulous. Why does this work? - I don't know.

2 - The DSP-A1 was Yammaha's flagship amp. Between the BD55 and the DSP-A1, which device do you think will have the superior D-A conversion ?
I think I can guess the answer here...

I have read a post (could be on this thread ?) were the owner of a BD55 was not happy with the audio quality of the analogue out when listening to his audiophile CDs... food for thought.

I suspect the BD55s analogue audio circuitry is not in the race.

And, does the BD55 does have LFE x-over control ? Ie, can you redirect sub-audio from the other channels to the sub out ? (ie remove bass energy from your surrounds - helps amp, speakers and ears) - I have my doubts that the BD55 can do this essential task.

3 - 7.1 to 5.1 down mix - doesn't bother me. I have read many posts claiming that the extra 2 channels do not exist in most cases, and if they do, are probably artificially up-mixed from the other channels. Plenty of posters claim that true 7.1 is a rarity - I am unable to verify this.

4 - If I owned a DENON player, I would probably use the analogue outs. In my listening experience, DENON has been better than YAMAHA and would have better D-As. But of course, if I could afford the DENON player, I would buy a new DENON amp, and would use the amp's D-As, and could then use the BD35 via HDMI.
post #9403 of 14978
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

What language suggests to you that it uses lossless when mixing secondary audio? But, I will back off from saying the manual is clear on the issue. Rather, it says both TrueHD and 7.1 PCM are output as 5.1 when SA is on.

Good point. With PCM, it has to be a downmix (as the manual says). I wonder why the player does that.

I think I can back you up on this brotha BIslander. True, the Panasonic Manual does not mentioned whether the resultant 5.1 surround is from the lossless or lossy in nature. But if you look at the BD35 audio chart we came up with, we know precisely how and in what manner the codecs are applied when Secondary Audio is set to ON and Bitstream. We can assume the player will do the same when it is decoding the codecs (on the PCM side). Yes, still not 100% accurate, but highly probable.

"Lossy PCM" is a description of what is decoded from lossy codecs, I guess? What do you get when the BD35 decodes 5.1 Dolby Digital? Lossy 5.1 PCM? True, a better desciption can be made, but we need to define whether the resultant 5.1 PCM is indeed from 5.1 TrueHD or 5.1 Dolby Digital originally.
post #9404 of 14978
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbtobe View Post

If I connect both HDMI and component cables to the outputs, will the unit send signals through both at the same time?

I guess Yes (Provided you have not enabled 24P)
post #9405 of 14978
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxleung View Post

Dialog normalization in some (most?) TrueHD soundtracks might be the factor here. Another member said they found the center channel was louder when bistreaming versus PCM decoded in the player. That to me sounds like the receiver is doing something with the dialnorm flags (Dynamic Range Compression is on in the receiver but disabled in the player?).

Something to consider...

yeah that's my thinking with the PS3, count me as one of the people that though TrueHd sounded flat compared to DTS-MA and PCM. However with my AVR automatically volume matching as it can actually see what codec it's receiving, all codecs sound phenominal and it's basically all do to the mix. Like I said DTS-MA and PCM sound the same, but TrueHd totally improved by having my AVR decode. I got to PM Roger at Dolby to see if the PS3 actually recoqnizes the dialnorm flags.
post #9406 of 14978
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepster returns View Post

1 - I was watching T.D.K. on a BD35 with Bitsteam out selected in all menu options, secondary audio off (menu), and TRUE HD selected with the remote (confirmed), fed via an optical connect to a DSP-A1 amp.

Result - fabulous. Why does this work? - I don't know.

You get DD and DTS over optical. They are encoded at high bit rates on BD, higher than the rates used on DVD, and sound great. In fact, they rival lossless. That's why.

Quote:


does the BD55 does have LFE x-over control ? Ie, can you redirect sub-audio from the other channels to the sub out ? (ie remove bass energy from your surrounds - helps amp, speakers and ears) - I have my doubts that the BD55 can do this essential task.

It has a fixed crossover at 100Hz.

Quote:


3 - 7.1 to 5.1 down mix - doesn't bother me. I have read many posts claiming that the extra 2 channels do not exist in most cases, and if they do, are probably artificially up-mixed from the other channels. Plenty of posters claim that true 7.1 is a rarity - I am unable to verify this.

That's all pretty much the case. Movies are almost always mixed originally for 5.1 and the 7.1 home releases are remixed from the 5.1 stems. But, people with 7.1 systems tend to rave about the extra presence and properly anchored rear imaging.
post #9407 of 14978
Is anyone aware of a post or thread that talks about the differences between PCM and Bitstream? I'm still trying to figure out what's better on my BD55.
post #9408 of 14978
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney_DaPurple1 View Post

we know precisely how and in what manner the codecs are applied when Secondary Audio is set to ON and Bitstream. We can assume the player will do the same when it is decoding the codecs (on the PCM side). Yes, still not 100% accurate, but highly probable.

Hi Barney. Welcome back.

The bitstream output when mixing secondary audio is always going to be lossy because the player re-encodes the mixed output using a lossy codec. But, there's no way to know which track was decoded in the first place. It could be lossless or lossy.
post #9409 of 14978
Quote:
Originally Posted by clin157ton View Post

Is anyone aware of a post or thread that talks about the differences between PCM and Bitstream? I'm still trying to figure out what's better on my BD55.

There's no difference.

When an encoded track is bitstreamed to a receiver, the AVR decodes it into PCM, the exact same PCM that you get if the player does the decoding.

Any differences come up in the way the receiver processes the PCM after it is decoded.

The issue comes up all the time in various threads. I don't know that there's a thread dedicated to the subject. If you get levels matched and your receiver properly set up, there shouldn't be any difference between the two. But, try it both ways and if one sounds better to you, then use it.
post #9410 of 14978
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

Hi Barney. Welcome back.

The bitstream output when mixing secondary audio is always going to be lossy because the player re-encodes the mixed output using a lossy codec. But, there's no way to know which track was decoded in the first place. It could be lossless or lossy.

My thinking is, if Secondary Audio is ON, then most of the time it is the lossy codecs that get decoded.

If Secondary Audio is OFF, then most of the time it is the original codec format that get decoded, lossy or lossless.
post #9411 of 14978
I figured out why the bitstreaming sounded better to me than the decoding in the bd55. Volume mismatch. I ran avia test tones in the bd55 and discovered the analog outputs are approx 10db quieter than the bitstreamed digital output.

My solution was to add 10db of volume to each ext input. my denon avr-4800 allows independent volume control of each external input connected. Now switching between bitstreamed and the bd-55 analog decoding produces the exact same sound levels on my sound level meter.

So question is, why is the output 10db lower on the bd55 versus the digital bitstream?
post #9412 of 14978
Quote:
Originally Posted by proudx View Post

So question is, why is the output 10db lower on the bd55 versus the digital bitstream?

I think it is because you are using analogue out which goes through the BD55 DAC first.
post #9413 of 14978
[quote=BIslander;15627966]You get DD and DTS over optical. They are encoded at high bit rates on BD, higher than the rates used on DVD, and sound great. In fact, they rival lossless. That's why.

Thanks for that.

I suspect that the BD35 with the high rate compressed audio decoded by a quality amp like the DSP-A1 would have to sound better than lossless audio being converted with (D-A) by the relatively cheap components of the BD55.

The analogy is, eg, playing high bit rate mp3 audio on quality gear, vs, playing lossless CDs on cheap gear.
post #9414 of 14978
Has there been significant discussion of the black level setting on these players? Is one more neutral than the other? And if so, is that best? I have a 9G Kuro Signature, so the black levels should be plenty dark if fed properly. I think after getting my Kuro, I was just so in the mode of "blacker is better" that I set the black level to Darker on my BD-35. I think the default is lighter, and it occurred to me that I might be creating black crush with the darker setting, depending on how it is implemented.

I am almost to the point where I need to consider calibration of my set, so things certainly aren't perfect yet, but I presume on setting is generally preferred to the other. Thanks in advance.
post #9415 of 14978
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncfoster View Post

Has there been significant discussion of the black level setting on these players? Is one more neutral than the other? And if so, is that best? I have a 9G Kuro Signature, so the black levels should be plenty dark if fed properly. I think after getting my Kuro, I was just so in the mode of "blacker is better" that I set the black level to Darker on my BD-35. I think the default is lighter, and it occurred to me that I might be creating black crush with the darker setting, depending on how it is implemented.

I am almost to the point where I need to consider calibration of my set, so things certainly aren't perfect yet, but I presume on setting is generally preferred to the other. Thanks in advance.

Default is lighter. And that is what you want to use.
post #9416 of 14978
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepster returns View Post

Use TSMUXER (free)

Thanks, that did the trick.
post #9417 of 14978
Is the BD-35 discontinued? My Dad has been trying to get one through Best Buy for over a month. It supposedly was on order. When he checked on it yesterday, he said they told him they couldn't get any because it's a discontinued player.
post #9418 of 14978
It looks like you have been around long enough to know you can stick the word "discontinued" in the Search this Thread function and come up with that answer easily.
post #9419 of 14978
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post

Default is lighter. And that is what you want to use.

Is this true for all display/connection types?? I am using a crt rear projector @1080i via component. I believe the manual states that it should be set to darker for component connection vs lighter (default) for video out(composite).............I don't know why this would be so. I also do not know why anyone would use the composite video out on a blu-ray player!!! No mention of what to set it with HDMI out........

Can anyone explain??

Thanks,

Steve
post #9420 of 14978
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepster returns View Post

I suspect that the BD35 with the high rate compressed audio decoded by a quality amp like the DSP-A1 would have to sound better than lossless audio being converted with (D-A) by the relatively cheap components of the BD55.

The analogy is, eg, playing high bit rate mp3 audio on quality gear, vs, playing lossless CDs on cheap gear.

You might be interested in this...http://www.avguide.com/blog/first-li...blu-ray-player
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official Panasonic DMP-BD35/55 Owners Thread