or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › "YOUR" subwoofer picture thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

"YOUR" subwoofer picture thread - Page 63

post #1861 of 2536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid$team View Post

No offense but your theatre for 1 is depressing.

No offense, are you saying that his theater is depressing because yours sucks in comparison?
post #1862 of 2536
Quote:
Originally Posted by FantaXP7 View Post

Thanks for the response. I really like it, the Besta series I believe. I was unsure if I should get it or not because my receiver is deep and I want to get an amp, an Emotiva, and I see you have one there. So you have inspired me to possibly get it.

How far out does the Emo amp stick out on the back?

Hardly sticks out, I think it fits pretty well but the binding posts on the emotiva stick out a little
post #1863 of 2536
finally got a chance to setup my gear after being flown around...Saudi Arabia, then Taiwan and finally here in China

post #1864 of 2536
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowcarIX View Post

finally got a chance to setup my gear after being flown around Saudi Arabia, then Taiwan and finally here in China

Gorgeous
post #1865 of 2536
E
post #1866 of 2536
My theater is all movie and little theater,.

This one is "all sub"!

Is it true, get enough subs and 3D TV equipment isn't needed? As the subs power can bend light?


Allan



Quote:
Originally Posted by John H View Post

Velodyne DD18 pair
HGS18 pair
SVS AS-EQ1

post #1867 of 2536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipelion View Post

My theater is all movie and little theater,.

This one is "all sub"!

Is it true, get enough subs and 3D TV equipment isn't needed? As the subs power can bend light?

Allan

Ever since I got my subs completed my 3D tv has lost it's appeal.
post #1868 of 2536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid$team View Post

My Paradigms.... 3400 x2 and 3100 x2... father and son family photo



Awesome, that's a new one on me. Addressing height modes I see


Thanks
post #1869 of 2536
That would be great unless during a bass heavy movie it "danced" out a little bit and crushed your skull.

Killed by bass, I guess it's not the worst way to go!
post #1870 of 2536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

So there is an old myth about subwoofers -- that they get "slower" and less accurate the bigger they get? IE - That a 10" sub is more accurate than a 18" sub etc.

I've not found that to be true. In all your experience testing different subwoofers - is there any truth to size vs. accuracy? They don't get much bigger than 21" inch in non custom equipment. To your ears do the 21" subs seem just as musical and "speedy" as a smaller sub?

If you can find the Dan Wiggins white paper on the topic, it's good stuff.

Woofer "speed", is a function of what you're tasking it to do.
Consider the simple physics; making bass is all about air displacement,.ie small fan spinning fast=big fan spinning slow.


Theoretically;
A 15" driver being fed a 20hz tone, to hit 100db@1m
A 21" driver being fed a 20hz tone, to hit 100db@1m

The 21" driver, pumps easily back and forth, twenty times a second.
The 15" driver, pumps hurriedly back and forth, twenty times a second, because it has only half the cone size, and must stroke twice as far to displace the same amount of air. Since the smaller 15" driver has twice the excursion, yet it must maintain it's frequency of twenty outward peaks per second, it must travel at a much faster rate. Thus starting and stopping all that mass at high speed, there is opportunities for overshoot distortions, as the center of the magnetic gap is oftentimes the most linear part. Encountering the farthest most reaches of the magnetic gap is where a variety of non-linearities occur.

Similarly, if you double your system displacement capability, you're halving each element of the system's work load. Upgrading from one sub, to two like subs, you're halving each components workload.....and slowing down each driver's "speed",.. at any given SPL.


I hope I didn't muddy things up further


Good luck
post #1871 of 2536
Good post FOH.
post #1872 of 2536
Yes FOH, that knocked a few cobwebs down for me.
post #1873 of 2536
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnocchi View Post

No offense, are you saying that his theater is depressing because yours sucks in comparison?

lol.... I said that because it has 1 chair in it.
post #1874 of 2536
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

That would be great unless during a bass heavy movie it "danced" out a little bit and crushed your skull.

Killed by bass, I guess it's not the worst way to go!

lol... I put it on my DIY isolation pad and I can't pick up any vibrations at all on the shelf underneath
post #1875 of 2536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipelion View Post

Is it true, get enough subs and 3D TV equipment isn't needed? As the subs power can bend light?


Allan

Is that your original thought, and if so, can I use it in a sig?!?!? LMAO!!!
post #1876 of 2536
Not as bass heavy as some rooms in here but it gets the job done:



post #1877 of 2536
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdi192 View Post

Not as bass heavy as some rooms in here but it gets the job done:

Nice clean, simple installation.
post #1878 of 2536
Mythos STS, Mythos Nine, Epik Legend, equipment rack
LL
post #1879 of 2536
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristazio View Post

Mike, WTH? Do you hire out for demolitions with this set up? Are you attempting to alter some of your load bearing walls? That must sound terrifingly awesome.

hmm
post #1880 of 2536
Velodyne SPL-1200 for my 2.1 system.

post #1881 of 2536
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOH View Post

If you can find the Dan Wiggins white paper on the topic, it's good stuff.

Woofer "speed", is a function of what you're tasking it to do.
Consider the simple physics; making bass is all about air displacement,.ie small fan spinning fast=big fan spinning slow.


Theoretically;
A 15" driver being fed a 20hz tone, to hit 100db@1m
A 21" driver being fed a 20hz tone, to hit 100db@1m

The 21" driver, pumps easily back and forth, twenty times a second.
The 15" driver, pumps hurriedly back and forth, twenty times a second, because it has only half the cone size, and must stroke twice as far to displace the same amount of air. Since the smaller 15" driver has twice the excursion, yet it must maintain it's frequency of twenty outward peaks per second, it must travel at a much faster rate. Thus starting and stopping all that mass at high speed, there is opportunities for overshoot distortions, as the center of the magnetic gap is oftentimes the most linear part. Encountering the farthest most reaches of the magnetic gap is where a variety of non-linearities occur.

Similarly, if you double your system displacement capability, you're halving each element of the system's work load. Upgrading from one sub, to two like subs, you're halving each components workload.....and slowing down each driver's "speed",.. at any given SPL.


I hope I didn't muddy things up further


Good luck

I think this is insightful. The way I think about it is that "speed" is a function of frequency being reproduced not the woofer size or whether it is ported or not. A 20Hz tone sounds "slow" because it is and a "faster" (less capable) sub is not reproducing the very low frequencies.
post #1882 of 2536
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiGBADDABOOM View Post

Hope you don't mind gpmbc, I had to repost this in here. It just looks like a ton of fun. What do you think about the JBL's with a Triple12 center?


Large venue speakers?
post #1883 of 2536
Looks like some jbl cinema speakers. So efficient you don't actually have to power them, just have them in the same room as an avr and the power leakage from the receiver is enough to bow out windows
post #1884 of 2536
Proof that Captivators can be made to look small!!
post #1885 of 2536
I just moved my tiny subs away from the front corners and they sound much better now. I am currently trying to decide if I want to buy two SubDudes now.......TV is a 60" BTW, for size reference.
post #1886 of 2536
Quote:
Originally Posted by K5/SS View Post

I just moved my tiny subs away from the front corners and they sound much better now. I am currently trying to decide if I want to buy two SubDudes now.......TV is a 60" BTW, for size reference.

I have two grammas and im a huge fan...I actually need another subdued since I added a rear sub recently but I will always buy them and I recommend them to all my friends.
post #1887 of 2536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

I've got another video I'll need to capture and post. I had a sleeping bag laid out in front of the subwoofers for the kids to crawl around on. When they weren't in the room I cranked it up to demo the subs to a friend, the sleeping bag was lifting up and smacking down like it was demon controlled/waving around like kids were playing parachute with it. THAT was something to see. I didn't film it, but need to and then I'll post that one -- I've got a newborn in the house now so it'll be difficult to find a time to play the pair of Captivators that loud, but hopefully sometime my wife and kids will leave the house together and allow me a chance to put some ear plugs in and crank up the volume and record that insanity.

So I recorded some video tonight with the sleeping bag and the pair of Captivators. Keep in mind this is one amp - in this video I'm using the Behringer Inuke DSP 3000. I'm running the setup at -5 from reference in all videos!!! The subs are NOT configured hot. They are set actually 1dB below what the Audyssey calibration set them to during my Audyssey MultiEQ XT setup of my Onkyo TX-NR1007 receiver (-10dB on LFE preouts - Audyssey calibrated them to -9dB - I am only using Audyssey for level calibration and turned its EQ function off for the video). During the video I was tapping the clip lights on the Inuke 3000 DSP amp, but not hearing distortion. The sensation from these Captivators is intense...it gets my heart racing at these volumes and higher!!!


Without further ado...I present JTR Captivator Pros vs. Queen Sized Sleeping Bag --- RAW and Unzipped!

post #1888 of 2536
That is some paranormal activity stuff right there dude.....DAMN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #1889 of 2536
Watching that actually made me a little nervous
post #1890 of 2536
Thanks, Arch. Very cool! Funny how it would also drag the bag back into position after throwing it around some. "Come here. Where do you think your going?"
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › "YOUR" subwoofer picture thread