or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › B&K Reference 70 Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

B&K Reference 70 Owners Thread - Page 47

post #1381 of 1400
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post

You should be running the latest (or at least latest - 2) code since it has HDMI info that can useful when debugging. You should save (and review) your settings before doing anything else. Fortunately the save format is simple XML text.

Thanks for the feedback, bodosom!

I'm not sure what you mean by the "latest code". Are you referring to the last firmware update for the 70 or the latest BK Suite software? I believe I have the latest fw but I'll double check. That said, I wouldn't know what to look for as far as the HDMI info is concerned.

I have to say that I'm getting the feeling that it's the B&K that's the problem. I'll try a reset and if that's unsuccessful then I'll be contacting George.


ck
post #1382 of 1400
Try audiogon.com
post #1383 of 1400
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

Verify that it's not the sub.

You can do this by connecting a disk player that has analog out directly to the sub (they're both analog). Be sure to turn the gain on the sub way down to start with.

Thanks for the suggestion. I did just that and it was indeed the sub.
post #1384 of 1400
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom View Post

You should be running the latest (or at least latest - 2) code since it has HDMI info that can useful when debugging. You should save (and review) your settings before doing anything else. Fortunately the save format is simple XML text.

Thanks again bodosom!

Unfortunately I've had very little time to dedicate to this problem. Consequently, it's looking like I'll have to do a reset. Would updating the fw be equivalent?

It turns out that my current fw is 1.09. As far as the BK suite is concerned, I can only hope that it's on my old laptop as I haven't utilized it in ages.

Does anyone know if the latest fw and/or BK Suite can be found online?

Also, I've put three calls and one email in to Eastern in the last four days and no joy. I hope George is still there!

ck
post #1385 of 1400
Chris,

Is this what you're looking for?

http://www.bkcomp.com/support/software/
post #1386 of 1400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kane View Post

Consequently, it's looking like I'll have to do a reset. Would updating the fw be equivalent?

I believe so.

Quote:
It turns out that my current fw is 1.09. As far as the BK suite is concerned, I can only hope that it's on my old laptop as I haven't utilized it in ages.

Does anyone know if the latest fw and/or BK Suite can be found online?

As noted the BK site and archive (if you want to downgrade) are still up. 1.09 was the latest firmware although there was at least one complaint about it.

By the way my 707 has been retired for a while so I no longer have first-hand experience.
post #1387 of 1400
Thanks, JimP & bodosom!

Rather than downgrade, I'll take notes and do a reset. If it ultimately comes down to sending it in to Eastern (assuming I can reach George) I'll post an update on my experience.

ck
post #1388 of 1400
Anyone have a Ref 70 they'd like to sell? Please email stdarbin@gmail.com.

Thanks.
post #1389 of 1400
stdarbin,

Just looking around, there's one on audiogon. Seems a bit high but you may be able to negotiate.
post #1390 of 1400
Hello, being a long time lurker and owner, I have just listed my unit on ebay , very reasonably priced in case anyone is interested
thanks

Sal
post #1391 of 1400
Thread Starter 
Does anyone know if the B&K Ref 70 will passthru 3D? I have a Playstation3 .. can I feed an HDMI cable to the HDMI 1.3b input of the B&K and then out to the TV? Or do I need a 1.4 HDMI splitter and send 1 HDMI feed to the B&K and the other HDMI to the 3D ready TV?
post #1392 of 1400
Hi everyone, I've owned all three B&K processors linked to the same 200.7 amp. The ref 70 is a great piece. The problem I have is repairs, which they need rather regularly. I sent it in to eeav electronics , George, this last time and got it back with pieces rattling inside. I need someone to repair it and do the work and bill me accordingly. It's a shame when you spend good money 3500.00 and can't get good service. The guys in California haven't returned a call or email after several attempts. George cut me off at eeav because he doesn't understand my anger at what they did to my unit. I need help getting it repaired, I also have a ref 50 for sale, make offer! If someone wants this ref 70 make offer maybe George will fix it for you! I am pissed off , sorry it's a great piece, I just need it fixed or I'm pitching it off a bridge.
post #1393 of 1400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgusted View Post

Hi everyone, I've owned all three B&K processors linked to the same 200.7 amp. The ref 70 is a great piece. The problem I have is repairs, which they need rather regularly. I sent it in to eeav electronics , George, this last time and got it back with pieces rattling inside. I need someone to repair it and do the work and bill me accordingly. It's a shame when you spend good money 3500.00 and can't get good service. The guys in California haven't returned a call or email after several attempts. George cut me off at eeav because he doesn't understand my anger at what they did to my unit. I need help getting it repaired, I also have a ref 50 for sale, make offer! If someone wants this ref 70 make offer maybe George will fix it for you! I am pissed off , sorry it's a great piece, I just need it fixed or I'm pitching it off a bridge.

I too love my B&K 20 and 50 moved on. I held off on the 70 for the ensight I had when I saw little to no support given with bugs in the new 70 when it was released. I feel your pain and hope you can get the problems resolved.
post #1394 of 1400
The biggest problem I have is the fact the guy who was supposed to be helping the B&K family is a flat out crook. ee-av electronics, George,and Tabitha. They've built there own unit and I am here to say buyer beware!!!! If they'll do it to us they'll do it to anyone. I don't know where to begin to look for a comparable unit. I have a hole in my system and it can't be used, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks everyone I hope my experience helps thy next guy.
Disgusted
post #1395 of 1400
I ran a cable thru my ref 70 from my play station 3 and out to the tv, but I never used my 3d signal. I don't think they considered 3d when they designed the ref 70. 3d came out long after the ref.
post #1396 of 1400
I've got a ref50 that's perfect with all the papers and Manuel's and the remote and all packaging if your interested.
post #1397 of 1400
Good luck I hope it works out for you!
post #1398 of 1400
Thread Starter 
HELP HELP HELP!!

So by mistake today, I hit the Sleep Up and then Volume button. Now I am stuck in an endless loop of Powering UP..Please wait... then it goes blank.. then about 10 second later it goes into a "Resetting Video" loop that just repeats itself....

On the back of the receiver is the word Restore and I think an area right before it for a pin hole? Is that a reset? Is there a combo of buttons on the front to reset?

I can't figure out how to do a reset. I can't get into any menus at all.
Edited by Michael James - 2/15/14 at 2:24pm
post #1399 of 1400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael James View Post

Does anyone know if the B&K Ref 70 will passthru 3D? I have a Playstation3 .. can I feed an HDMI cable to the HDMI 1.3b input of the B&K and then out to the TV? Or do I need a 1.4 HDMI splitter and send 1 HDMI feed to the B&K and the other HDMI to the 3D ready TV?

I have an AVR707 that easily does the 3D my Samsung BD player puts out. I have all sources run through the receiver to the TV, and it works fine.
post #1400 of 1400
Thread Starter 
Does anyone know how to reset the Ref 70 or get out of this inifinite loop of Resetting Video?
What are all the types of hard and Soft resets when you can't get into the Menu settings?
Would unplugging the HDMI's in back help or unplugging anything else?

I tried leaving the unit unplugged all night and plugging back in and hitting power button, no joy.
I did get to 1 point yesterday where it went to Input 9 but the remote nor the front panel buttons were working.

When I hit the Sleep, Up and right master volume button and held them for 3 seconds was supposed to mute the front speakers according to ATI. (So I could listen to headphones) What did it actually do? Maybe initiate a restore or Reset?

I believe that the unit is on Version 8 of firmware
Edited by Michael James - 2/16/14 at 6:02am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › B&K Reference 70 Owners Thread