or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion › Who are the greatest guitarists of all time?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Who are the greatest guitarists of all time? - Page 9

post #241 of 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye911 View Post

^ Lifeson has been mentioned before in this thread, deservedly so. Rush has been one of my favorite bands for 30 years but my wife is from Thailand and had never heard of them. I came home yesterday and she was watching their concert on Palladia, she absolutely loves them now. I dug out some old vinyl albums for her listen to.

Did she like "A Passage to Bangkok"?
post #242 of 319
Here's a good flick of Tal. There's a wee interview first then the playing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wK03p...eature=related
post #243 of 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

Did she like "A Passage to Bangkok"?

You're sharp. Yes, she loved it. 2112 is the first album I played and it's the first cut on side 2. I guess she'd had enough time to recover from all the air guitar I was playing during the Overture on side 1.
post #244 of 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye911 View Post

You're sharp. Yes, she loved it. 2112 is the first album I played and it's the first cut on side 2. I guess she'd had enough time to recover from all the air guitar I was playing during the Overture on side 1.

You know, Rush did all of Moving Pictures for Rock Band. Can 2112 be far behind? Goodbye air guitar, hello plastic guitar!

CD
post #245 of 319
I agree that Lifeson is a great guitarist. It may be that he gets less attention for his work because of the company that he keeps. Peart and Lee are impressive musicians themselves. I found myself stunned at the talent of all three when I saw them.
post #246 of 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post

You know, Rush did all of Moving Pictures for Rock Band. Can 2112 be far behind? Goodbye air guitar, hello plastic guitar!

CD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btcvSWoQWV0
This shows that even those that CAN play, can't play Rock Band .
post #247 of 319
No one even come close to Eddie Van Halen in my book. I'm a guitar player and I've been for 20+ years. I've been playing Van Halen as long as I can remember. You can learn to play fast, you can learn to impress, you can learn to play complicated things but there is one thing can't learn: to BE!

He HIS a guitar player, he his a innovator, he sounds like nobody else on earth, he plays like nobody else either. He built the most recognized guitar sound over 30 years ago and still today, no one has figured out how to reproduce it right! Let alone his 90's era sound!

He has been doing this for 40 years! Running around for 3 hours, half drunk night after night.

John Petrucci is awesome, but he does not even come close to a living legend like Eddie Van Halen.
post #248 of 319
Its too hard to tell which is the best guitarists, I have list of my favorites.

Jimi Hendrix
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Joe Perry
Vicki Peterson
Stephen Stills
post #249 of 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockeed View Post

He has been doing this for 40 years! Running around for 3 hours, half drunk night after night.

Oh, come on; you make the man sound as if he's 60 years old!
post #250 of 319
Well, physically he probably is equivalent to that. Didn't he have half his tongue cut out from cancer from smoking so much?
post #251 of 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockeed View Post

No one even come close to Eddie Van Halen in my book. I'm a guitar player and I've been for 20+ years. I've been playing Van Halen as long as I can remember. You can learn to play fast, you can learn to impress, you can learn to play complicated things but there is one thing can't learn: to BE!

He HIS a guitar player, he his a innovator, he sounds like nobody else on earth, he plays like nobody else either. He built the most recognized guitar sound over 30 years ago and still today, no one has figured out how to reproduce it right! Let alone his 90's era sound!

He has been doing this for 40 years! Running around for 3 hours, half drunk night after night.

John Petrucci is awesome, but he does not even come close to a living legend like Eddie Van Halen.

Many will argue that here, but I agree w/ you. Or at the least, he's my fave player (Hendrix & Gilmour round out my top 3). EVH is the sole reason I picked up the guitar when I was 13. I feel lucky that I actually got to tell the man this in person several years back when he was @ the Peavey booth @ the NAMM trade show in LA (prior to VAN HALEN III's release - he was there pimping his then new Peavey Wolfgang guitars). He seemed genuinely flattered by the comment & was one of the nicest people in "the biz" I have ever met.

When EVH does his "tricks", they seem like an organic, flowing component of his playing. When everyone else does it...it sounds like a "trick". But that's just my opinion.
post #252 of 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

Well, physically he probably is equivalent to that. Didn't he have half his tongue cut out from cancer from smoking so much?


Yes...although he doesn't blame it on smoking. Apparently, he thinks the massive amounts of electromagnetic fields generated by the monitors in the studio (where is spends most his days, I assume) coupled with holding metal picks in his mouth led to the oral cancer.

You are my fave player, Ed, & a really down to earth, nice guy when we met...but come on.....

He also stated sometime back on Howard Stern's show that he eventually beat his cancer with "experimental" treatments developed in Europe that for whatever reason were highly controversial here & he was not at liberty to discuss....

But, he looks healthier now than he has in quite some time, so go figure.
post #253 of 319
I'd put Prince somewhere in the top 10. He can play most any music genere.
post #254 of 319
Prince, the Edge...come on! And U2 is my favorite band but the Edge is NOT the greatest guitarist. U2 just has one of the best overall sounds in my opinion. Eddie Van Halen is ridiculous. Clearly he has had some classical training. Throw in Randy Rhoads and there are your top two.
post #255 of 319
I don't have much more to add than what has already been said, I agree with most of the main top 5 people have already posted.

One name I think I saw mentioned once is Sonny Landreth. He is on my list of favorites, I would recommend checking him out. He opened the last Crossroads show in Chicago and has a lot of good stuff on you tube. Check out Ubresso from his newest album and the stuff he did with Mark Knopfler, Cannibals night in London.

Eric Clapton said He is "probably the most underestimated musician on the planet and also probably one of the most advanced"

Give him a listen and let me know what you think.
post #256 of 319
Ice Pickin': Albert Collins

For shame. No one in this long thread has mentioned Albert Collins- the Master of the Telecaster.

How about Johnny "Guitar" Watson? Pretty much the inventor of the "space guitar" style of playing. A heavy influence on such players as SRV, even bigger on his brother Jimmie, Clapton, Robert Cray, a whole slew of blues and surf rock players.
post #257 of 319
Can't add too many that haven't been mentioned BUT Phil Keaggy is as good, if not BETTER, than any mentioned b4.
post #258 of 319
Oh there are a ton of them we have yet to mention. Artists like Pee Wee Crayton, who's career spanned much of 30 years. How about Chick Willis? I bet no one put him. Then there's Bob Wills (and His Texas Playboys).

I could go on...
post #259 of 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by SbWillie View Post

Can't add too many that haven't been mentioned BUT Phil Keaggy is as good, if not BETTER, than any mentioned b4.

He was mentioned several pages back....
post #260 of 319
Another vote for Randy Rhoads. In this sort of discussion, I'm also inclined to include Alex Lifeson and Eddie van Halen.


TinMan368


Trivia for 2-June-2009

Q) If you were to look at a list of stocks traded on the New York Stock Exchange that was alphabetized by ticker symbol, under what letter would you find the Coca Cola Company?

A)
post #261 of 319
Great thread, I'm surprised I haven't stumbled upon it earlier. I'm big on blues/rock based guitarists. My personal favorites;

Rory Gallagher, (If you haven't heard this guy, take the time well worth it.)

Eric Clapton,

Mark Knopfler,

Carlos Santana,

Buddy Guy,

Stevie Ray Vaughn,

Jeff Beck,

Joe Satriani,

Eric Johnson,

John Mayer.

What order of preference I'd put them in would greatly depend on my mood.
post #262 of 319
Jerry Cantrell (Alice In Chains), he may have been mentioned already.
post #263 of 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnrgagne View Post

Great thread, I'm surprised I haven't stumbled upon it earlier. I'm big on blues/rock based guitarists. My personal favorites;

Rory Gallagher, (If you haven't heard this guy, take the time well worth it.)

Eric Clapton,

Mark Knopfler,

Carlos Santana,

Buddy Guy,

Stevie Ray Vaughn,

Jeff Beck,

Joe Satriani,

Eric Johnson,

John Mayer.

What order of preference I'd put them in would greatly depend on my mood.

Come on guys! All have been mentioned. You are saddled in the realm of the ordinary pop/rock vein! Think a bit out of the box! In the words of the late great Muddy Waters, "The blues had a baby, and they named it Rock & Roll".
post #264 of 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

Come on guys! All have been mentioned. You are saddled in the realm of the ordinary pop/rock vein! Think a bit out of the box! In the words of the late great Muddy Waters, "The blues had a baby, and they named it Rock & Roll".

Tough not to be redundant, but I'd hardly call it a pop-rock list either, nor ordinay for that matter. Muddy would agree, I'm sure.
post #265 of 319
Altho he's been mentioned once in this thread, I'd like to add him again.

That'd be Rik Emmett from Triumph.....a phenomenal player.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-KzV5sTRhE
www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuEvu4Kun78
post #266 of 319
Nods for Paul Jackson Jr. & Hadley Hockensmith, though they wouldn't be on anyone's top ten lists...
post #267 of 319
Its nice to see Alvin Lee mentioned a few times. Very under-rated.

Oh, and slightly related...anyone every see Charro play guitar (Flamenco)..and pay attention to the guitar playing? She could actually out play a few of the people on that rolling stone list (no, seriously).
post #268 of 319
Derek Trucks, Warren Haynes, and a New Orleans/Cajun blues player Tab Benoit.
post #269 of 319
Okay, I know that this is almost 4 years old, but I'm hoping that someone will be able to get this. Regarding the top guitarists: Joe Satriani, Stevie Ray Vaughan, and Johnny Lang are IMO the top 3. Lang was able to perform with Vaughan and BB King at the age of 16. Watching them onstage was an epic moment. Impressive, to say the least, that 16 year old could keep up with Stevie Ray. Talent.
post #270 of 319
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix4243 View Post

Okay, I know that this is almost 4 years old, but I'm hoping that someone will be able to get this. Regarding the top guitarists: Joe Satriani, Stevie Ray Vaughan, and Johnny Lang are IMO the top 3. Lang was able to perform with Vaughan and BB King at the age of 16. Watching them onstage was an epic moment. Impressive, to say the least, that 16 year old could keep up with Stevie Ray. Talent.

Impressive indeed, and I would agree with you. Nice choice!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › Movies, Concerts, and Music Discussion › Who are the greatest guitarists of all time?