Since I have a sliding glass door right where my side surrounds need to be, my friend Shaun (same guy that helped me build my riser) built me a custom speaker mount and shipped it to me. It came in a few days ago and I decided to tackle mounting the side surrounds tonight.
Here is a shot of the bracket that Shaun built out of steel. It is very sturdy, yet lightweight. Since he is an engineer and I'm sooo not a handyman, not only did he build the bracket for me, he mailed me all of the hardware (screws, anchors, washers, bumpers, bolt, mason drill bit since I would be drilling into concrete and even a complete set of instructions and diagrams).
The plan was to re-route my speaker wire and feed it down the bracket.
We didn't want the speaker to get scratched from the mount so we decided on using plastic bumpers.
I placed 8 plastic bumpers around the edges of the bracket.
In order to get a flush mount, I removed the Keyhole Bracket on the back of the speaker.
I used one 4" long, 1/4" 20 bolt to secure the speaker to the bracket.
Here is a shot of the speaker mounted to the bracket.
Since the theater room walls are exterior walls, behind the sheetrock I have 1/2" space, then concrete block. I used three 5/16" x 2-1/2" Hex Sleeve Anchors to secure the mount to the wall.
When I originally ran my surround wires, I didn't know where exactly I was going to put them so we installed terminals. The speaker ended up being mounted a few feet to the left of the terminal so I drilled a hole in the back of the mount so that the speaker wire could come out of the wall and into the mount for a stealth install. Well...I ran into a snag when I drilled into the wall and hit wood. Top screw and bottom two screws went into the gap and then concrete but apparently I somehow mounted the bracket around the wood. I drilled two holes and still hit wood so I ended up having to drill a small hole above the bracket and fish the wire over to the hole, then grab it with needle nose pliers to pull it through (it was a tedious process to say the least). I removed the white jacket after pulling it through the hole since the red and black shielding would blend into my decor better than the white would.
I'll probably replace the terminal with a black cover and will puddy the hole and paint around it, maybe paint the nuts and washer black too.
And here are the final shots of the speaker installed over my sliding glass door.
The other speaker was supposed to be an easy install since I only need to move the speaker wire over like I did with the first speaker and use an anchor and screw to secure the speaker to the wall since it has a keyhole bracket on the back of the speaker.....until I hit a vertical strip of wood (forget what they call it). This means I'll have to make a trip into the attic and pull the wire back up and move it over one cell and drop it down to the speaker. I'm saving that for another day.
Overall, I'm very pleased with how the mount turned out. I wish I could have mounted it a tad lower but wanted to mount just above 6' to prevent someone from banging their head on it. Hopefully it will be low enough and sound great.