or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming › *New* Western Digital - WD TV HD Media Player
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

*New* Western Digital - WD TV HD Media Player - Page 2

post #31 of 9960
It will warn that the Journaled volume is not writeable. But I formatted the USB flash drive with MAC OS Extended and it works wonderfully.

.02c

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvk View Post

I'm assuming that when you say HFS+ you mean Mac OS Extended (I believe they're interchangeable?). I bought one of these today and my HFS+ formatted Western Digital drive works well with it. I only say "well" because there's some odd message at the top of the menus that says "drive does not resolve" or something like that, but everything works just fine.

Not sure about NTFS as I'm running OS X and can't write to NTFS.

I found that 720p mkv content played flawlessly. 1080p had some issues though (blocky patched all over the screen where things had moved in a scene. I only have a 720p TV so I'm not sure if I can blame it on that, a bad HDMI cable, a high bit rate encoding or, the machine itself.

This is very much what I've been wanting for quite a while now. I prefer having a local drive as I end up having too many issues over a network. Especially when trying to stream HD content, which proved impossible with my xbox 360.

My only issue with it as of now (other than the 1080p issues) is that it seems to not recognize subtitles that are written into the mkv file. The only time I could get subs to work was when I had a separate sub file contained in a folder with the mkv file.

I'll have more time to mess around with things tomorrow. I want to test some other 1080p files. I'm unsure of compatibility with the other file types people were mentioning. If anyone wants to point me to some links with files of those types I'd be more then happy to mess around with them tomorrow.
post #32 of 9960
It just pans out all the media files in all directories in to a single level of file listings. I don't like that. I prefer to organized the files in different directories.
And I could browse through different directories.

That's a little bit let down.

post #33 of 9960
Tried bunch of them. Works flawlessly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnochLight View Post

Great question! I second that - if it does AVCHD then I would buy this today. My entire family video collection is filmed in AVCHD. This would save me having to transcode to WMV HD to play on my 360.
post #34 of 9960
Took one today from BB for $99. Plays mts, m2ts HDs from my Sony HDRSR11 (that what I needed most). Is capable to work with two USB HDDs at the same time. Let say view slides from one and play music from the other. One more nice feature - power switch is on the remote. Since I store all my media on the USB HDDs, I don't care about network.
post #35 of 9960
Thread Starter 
Heres a quick video review!
http://www.vimeo.com/2137683
(not me)
post #36 of 9960
Quote:
Originally Posted by salado View Post

Tried bunch of them. Works flawlessly.

Holy smokes man - that's awesome!!!! Did you try files with the extension ".m2ts" by chance?

Cheers!

** UPDATE ** Nevermind - see my post below...
post #37 of 9960
Quote:
Originally Posted by eteled View Post

...Plays...m2ts HDs from my Sony...

OMFG that's awesome - that seals the deal for me then! I am going to buy one of these today!

Cheers!
post #38 of 9960
Yeah... everything except the real audio/video stuff. And m2ts from my Sony Handycam as well...

This deal is a steal. PERIOD.

Plus, full multiple language support. By turning off the "media library" option you can browse the folders.

The little thing didn't turn to be hot at all. That's nice. Only thing is that is kinda not that fancy with the menu system (it's good looking though). I am just comparing to my PS3. But it's way much easier to use all kinds of downloadable media from the internet...

Love it. Grab one when the deal is still there.


Quote:
Originally Posted by EnochLight View Post

OMFG that's awesome - that seals the deal for me then! I am going to buy one of these today!

Cheers!
post #39 of 9960
Ok this looks like the ticket for ripping and storing my dvd collection...IF....when i rip to disc can they trans coded to an upconverted file type...i know this has nothing to do with the unit but more to do with my lack of knowledge in this area. I use a Toshiba upsacling dvd player for my standard collection and it looks great. Is what i'm looking for possible?
post #40 of 9960
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eminemdrdre00 View Post

Heres a quick video review!
http://www.vimeo.com/2137683
(not me)

That's my friend's review of the unit I bought at Best Buy today. I've played with it for a while today, and I'm very impressed.

I'm a Mac user, and I've always been annoyed that most media players require a USB hard drive formatted as FAT32. I can confirm that HFS+ works great. However, I noticed that for full functionality, you need to partition it using the old Apple Partition Map, not the new GUID method used to boot Intel Macs. Also, journaling can't be enabled. You can disable it without reformatting by using the Terminal command "diskutil disableJournal /Volumes/VolumeName". Unfortunately, you do have to reformat to convert the partition type from GUID to APM. If you use a GUID partition or a volume with journaling, then certain features won't work, such as tracking your recently viewed items, but basic playback seems to work fine.

Support for NTFS and HFS+ is important for 1080p and 720p movies that are larger than 4GB, which is the file size limit for FAT32. We played some 7GB videos without any problems. Overall, it's pretty incredible that such a small device can output 1080p video so smoothly when some computers that are 1-2 years old still can't do that.
post #41 of 9960
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLin View Post

That's my friend's review of the unit I bought at Best Buy today. I've played with it for a while today, and I'm very impressed.

I'm a Mac user, and I've always been annoyed that most media players require a USB hard drive formatted as FAT32. I can confirm that HFS+ works great. However, I noticed that for full functionality, you need to partition it using the old Apple Partition Method, not the new GUID method used to boot Intel Macs. Also, journaling can't be enabled. You can disable it without reformatting by using the Terminal command "diskutil disableJournal /Volumes/VolumeName". Unfortunately, you do have to reformat to convert the partition type from GUID to APM. If you use a GUID partition or a volume with journaling, then certain features won't work, such as tracking your recently viewed items, but basic playback seems to work fine.

Support for NTFS and HFS+ is important for 1080p and 720p movies that are larger than 4GB, which is the file size limit for FAT32. We played some 7GB videos without any problems. Overall, it's pretty incredible that such a small device can output 1080p video so smoothly when some computers that are 1-2 years old still can't do that.

Excellent! Thanks to you and your friend for this info. Its so tempting, I think Im going to get one!
post #42 of 9960
I've read via comments on Engadget that this can't output DD 5.1 and DTS 5.1 via SPDIF. Is this true? If so, that's a major dealbreaker. Either way, I'm going to pick one up tomorrow morning just to try it out, and I'll be sure to post the results, but I'm just curious right now
post #43 of 9960
Quote:
Originally Posted by djbrettb View Post

I've read via comments on Engadget that this can't output DD 5.1 and DTS 5.1 via SPDIF. Is this true? If so, that's a major dealbreaker. Either way, I'm going to pick one up tomorrow morning just to try it out, and I'll be sure to post the results, but I'm just curious right now

I think the confusion is that the unit may not be able to decode DD/dts and send the decoded 5.1 audio out via the RCA audio outputs (only sends 2 channel), but it can pass the encoded audio out via HDMI/optical for your receiver to decode. I'm not sure if I've tried a movie with dts yet, but DD worked fine.
post #44 of 9960
anyone already knows what is the chipset WD used?

Does it run Linux? Did they enclose GNU/GPL license if it runs Linux?
post #45 of 9960
This is a review I saw from bestbuy website:

"WD hit the bullseye with this product. I have several failed DMA's sitting in my closet and this thing worked flawlessly with every movie format that I've thrown at it: MKV, H.264, DiVX, XViD, MPEG2/4, MOV, .ISO, .VOB. I even hooked up my Flip Video Camera and IPod and it worked! It doesn't get any easier than this.

The one thing I would like to see in the next version is a hard drive built in so I can keep a master media library stored locally."
post #46 of 9960
Does anyone know if you can copy from a USB Flash plugged into the side to a USB HD plugged into the back? This would make transferring files much easier for me. I'd like to have a 3.5" USB HD hidden away behind some other equipment, and only the box out front. I'd like to use an 8gb or 16gb USB Flash for transferring files from my office PC (ground floor) up to my theater (third floor). Not having to unhook the hard drive (and its associated external power supply) would make the file transfer much easier.

Another question/idea that might make transfer to/from a drive connected to this device... does anyone know of a NAS enclosure or pre-built NAS drive that also includes USB Slave? It would be great to be able to transfer files to the drive over the network and have the WD HD TV box access files from the same drive over USB. I haven't found a NAS yet that also has USB Slave functionality, but it doesn't seem like that exotic of an idea... anyone know of one?
post #47 of 9960
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hopkins View Post

Another question/idea that might make transfer to/from a drive connected to this device... does anyone know of a NAS enclosure or pre-built NAS drive that also includes USB Slave? It would be great to be able to transfer files to the drive over the network and have the WD HD TV box access files from the same drive over USB. I haven't found a NAS yet that also has USB Slave functionality, but it doesn't seem like that exotic of an idea... anyone know of one?

The only hard drives that I can think of that sort of do what you describe are the external NDAS drives based on the Ximeta chipset. They have ethernet and USB ports but are not a true NAS. You have to install Windows or Mac drivers that will allow you to connect to the drive over the network, and the drive will show up like a local drive. Unfortunately, you can't connect the USB and ethernet cables to the back of the drive simultaneously, so you'll still have to remove the USB cable and plug in the ethernet when you want to copy media over.
post #48 of 9960
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLin View Post

The only hard drives that I can think of that sort of do what you describe are the external NDAS drives based on the Ximeta chipset. They have ethernet and USB ports but are not a true NAS. You have to install Windows or Mac drivers that will allow you to connect to the drive over the network, and the drive will show up like a local drive. Unfortunately, you can't connect the USB and ethernet cables to the back of the drive simultaneously, so you'll still have to remove the USB cable and plug in the ethernet when you want to copy media over.

Requiring Windows drivers isn't a problem. I've found several NAS enclosures with both network and USB connections (in the $40 - $50 range)... the trouble is figuring out which connection (network or USB) takes precedent. If it's USB before Network, then hopefully the WD box would access via USB when it's powered on, and then release it to the network when it's powered off. If it's network then USB, it seems I'd have to manually disconnect it from the network when I'm not transferring. Also, if powering off the WD box isn't enough to release the USB, i'd have to manually disconnect USB as well.

I'm strongly considering giving this a try. Even with the cost of a NAS enclosure, it's still over $100 less than a Popcorn Hour. Any other comments/suggestions on if/how this would work are welcome. If the NAS idea won't work, transferring files with an 8gb or 16gb USB stick would work well enough (again, if you can copy from one device to the other with both plugged into the WD HD TV box, can someone confirm?).
post #49 of 9960
post #50 of 9960
post #51 of 9960
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hopkins View Post

If the NAS idea won't work, transferring files with an 8gb or 16gb USB stick would work well enough (again, if you can copy from one device to the other with both plugged into the WD HD TV box, can someone confirm?).

I don't see an option to do that. The media player will aggregate the media on both drives so you can access everything without switching between the two drives, but there doesn't seem to be an option to copy or move content from one to the other.
post #52 of 9960
another question have is if you can hook up a external blu ray drive and play movies that away? so blu-ray -> sata to usb2.0 connector -> to this. if it did that i might be in 1080p heaven.
post #53 of 9960
These are great observations and questions. From reading here and at Engadget, a lot of folks are bummed by no networking on this unit. But so many of use have a NAS set up, most have an external hd, and prices for large compacity flash drives are dropping everyday. It is great this unit can play from 2 drives at the same time, I invision a large external hd stored away (if that could be a NAS, that would be sweet!), out of site, with a USB cable running to this unit, then usiing my 16gb thumbdrive to throw on a downloaded Bluray rip (usually 8-9 GB if MKV) and play that.




Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hopkins View Post

Does anyone know if you can copy from a USB Flash plugged into the side to a USB HD plugged into the back? This would make transferring files much easier for me. I'd like to have a 3.5" USB HD hidden away behind some other equipment, and only the box out front. I'd like to use an 8gb or 16gb USB Flash for transferring files from my office PC (ground floor) up to my theater (third floor). Not having to unhook the hard drive (and its associated external power supply) would make the file transfer much easier.

Another question/idea that might make transfer to/from a drive connected to this device... does anyone know of a NAS enclosure or pre-built NAS drive that also includes USB Slave? It would be great to be able to transfer files to the drive over the network and have the WD HD TV box access files from the same drive over USB. I haven't found a NAS yet that also has USB Slave functionality, but it doesn't seem like that exotic of an idea... anyone know of one?
post #54 of 9960
I have been trying to follow the commetns on Engadget as well. I am interested in this as I have been trying to decide on a media player/streamer for a long time, ever since 2 years ago I bought a Phillips 5982 Divx dvd player with a USB port. That was a nice gateway for me to be able to play downloaded files on my plasma TV in the living room, but that player is limited. This WD unit seems to take the USB functionality to a whole other level of HD goodness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbal View Post

Here is some pictures (not mine)

http://picasaweb.google.com/joshkawaii/WDTVPics#

more pics (Flickr Search)

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=wd+hd+tv

Here is a video from youtube (once again not mine)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CONfyjNPMQ0

The comments on Engadget are getting alot of hits at the moment. If you are interested in this product (I already bought mine today) you should check it out:

http://www.engadget.com/2008/11/01/w...yer/3#comments
post #55 of 9960
Very interesting device.

Can it display subtitles when playing VOB files?

Also can it handle DVD menus? If not, how do you play VOB files? Do you start by playing the IFO file or the first VOB file? How does it handle chapter points? Does it recognize chapter points in VOB files?

Thanks for any info.
post #56 of 9960
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbal View Post

I would love a network jack as well, but what do you expect for $99? I would be happy to fork over a little more dough for a networked version.

IMO, it seems fairly obvious why WD would jump in with a USB HDD streaming device; to sell more USB HDDs! A network jack would mean you wouldn't need to fork over dough for an external drive.

CD
post #57 of 9960
I've read on Engadget that there is a List view that lets you view files in the drive/folder hierarchy... any chance that there's a "copy file" or similar command/option within this view? I can understand it being absent from the aggregated Thumbnail view, but I'm really hoping it's present in the List view.
post #58 of 9960
NTFS for files > 4GB?
post #59 of 9960
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbal View Post

I would love a network jack as well, but what do you expect for $99? I would be happy to fork over a little more dough for a networked version.

Once this thing gets "officially" released (this thing isn't mentioned at all on the wd website), I hope some body hacks this little box to make it more "functional". (what do you think this thing is running, linux?)

gonna start putting it through some tests tomorrow (gotta get another HDMI cable).

speedbal

I wonder if you could rig something up with a low end NAS hooked up to this box?
post #60 of 9960
Quote:
Originally Posted by M@verick View Post

I wonder if you could rig something up with a low end NAS hooked up to this box?

I'm trying myself to figure out if that will work... it all depends on which connection, network or USB, takes precedent. If USB takes precedent AND powering-down the WD HD TV box will release the NAS out to the network, this should work. That said, it's a lot of if and might require manually unplugging the drive from the WD HD TV box and possibly even rebooting the NAS.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming › *New* Western Digital - WD TV HD Media Player