or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP › Sony VW80 now available in Aus and cheap!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sony VW80 now available in Aus and cheap!! - Page 5

post #121 of 196
where can I get a vw80 from that will ship to usa?
post #122 of 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by agyg05 View Post

where can I get a vw80 from that will ship to usa?

You can contact poster of post #112 who ship about every available VW80 he can get in Aus to USA.
post #123 of 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterho3 View Post

You can contact poster of post #112 who ship about every available VW80 he can get in Aus to USA.

I have tried.. via email and telephone and nobody answers ;-(

getting kind of expensive to hear their answering machine calling from my cell phone in the us.. lol
post #124 of 196
Please see
http://www.ozts.com.au/
Talk to Richard, he's pretty prompt with my response, and I am one happy customer with the VW80
I am planning to purchase the aussiemorphic lens from them
post #125 of 196
I recall seeing on one of their web pages that they will be closed through January 12, 2009 for the holidays. The posting did say that Richard would be checking email, so you may want to try that. Don't recall whether I saw the posting on the projectorscreens, hscables, or ozts website (or the lens website). All the sites belong to Oz theater.
post #126 of 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by li.ar.ma View Post

Please see
http://www.ozts.com.au/
Talk to Richard, he's pretty prompt with my response, and I am one happy customer with the VW80

Same here. Richard was a pleasure to deal with.
post #127 of 196
Hi all,
I now in the market for an upgrade, current projector is a VPL-HS10, served me well but with purchasing a 46" HD telly and blu ray player I'm now looking for the projector complete my HD HT experience.
I was contemplating the VW60 but have changed to the VW80, any owners of the 60 and upgraded to the 80 can you comment as I live in Ireland and don't think any of the Sony centres around would stock either to compare, anyway you'd have to sell a kidney to purchase one over here, there that expensive. I've been in touch with Richard myself, very promp in replying to my email. Looking forward to new stock in January. Hopefully they don't go up too much in price from the original one indicated on their web site and will be interested in the new lens that they are marketing.

Happy New Year to all

Regards,
R
post #128 of 196
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by agyg05 View Post

I have tried.. via email and telephone and nobody answers ;-(

getting kind of expensive to hear their answering machine calling from my cell phone in the us.. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post

I recall seeing on one of their web pages that they will be closed through January 12, 2009 for the holidays. The posting did say that Richard would be checking email, so you may want to try that. Don't recall whether I saw the posting on the projectorscreens, hscables, or ozts website (or the lens website). All the sites belong to Oz theater.

This is very standard practice here for summer holidays, just like plenty of people do in the North Hemisphere in the July/August period. I'm doing the same myself currently.
post #129 of 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzHDHT View Post

This is very standard practice here for summer holidays, just like plenty of people do in the North Hemisphere in the July/August period. I'm doing the same myself currently.

Party On..........

Everybody needs a break from time to time......
post #130 of 196
Have a great holiday then! I did not know.. Was just hard to understand why everyone is saying talk to him, talk to him, and then no reply :-(

Anyway.. Look forward to talking with you once your done with your holiday... When you get a second, please let me know when would be a good time to telephone ;-)

Thanks again!
post #131 of 196
Thread Starter 
Can people please read the thread more carefully and stop PM'ing me about purchasing/shipping them a VW80. I am an owner, not a retailer.

Incidentally, I'd say for those who have not got one yet, stock in Aus would be starting to run pretty low by now. There is a store on ebay still doing them sub $A6k, but I don't know who else has them on hand still.

Thanks
post #132 of 196
I'm interested in getting this unit here in California. Seems the motion flow and dark frame features make this more attractive than the VW70. But:

1. Is there a switch on the unit that selects beween 120 VAC and 240 VAC?

2. Does one simply use a standard US-style 120 VAC power cable and plug it into the unit's three-prong fitting?

Also, any tips on where to get it and how to clear customs would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.
post #133 of 196
the unit automatically detects the voltage (no switch). i bought a 3-prong power cord and plugged it directly into the unit.
post #134 of 196
Thanks for the quick response. Where did you get yours? Any tips for the unwise if you were doing it again?
post #135 of 196
check your PMs
post #136 of 196
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMS1999 View Post

I'm interested in getting this unit here in California. Seems the motion flow and dark frame features make this more attractive than the VW70. But:

1. Is there a switch on the unit that selects beween 120 VAC and 240 VAC?

2. Does one simply use a standard US-style 120 VAC power cable and plug it into the unit's three-prong fitting?

Also, any tips on where to get it and how to clear customs would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Yep (2), like the vast majority of multi-voltage projectors and other devices these days.

Don't see why you'd have any particular issue with customs, will just depend what shipping value the seller puts down that determines how much duty you'll have to add to the cost of the exercise.

My advice is act fast as I doubt there are many more floating around locally. You can pic them up from ebay.com.au , not best price but not the worst.
post #137 of 196
Latest news from Australia is that Sony will have inventory in March, but is raising the price 30% -- THIRTY percent!!! The must be aware of the arbitrage/importing of the units to the US and need to protect sales of the costlier but fewer-featured VW70.

So I think this is still a good proposition. What do others think?
post #138 of 196
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMS1999 View Post

Latest news from Australia is that Sony will have inventory in March, but is raising the price 30% -- THIRTY percent!!! The must be aware of the arbitrage/importing of the units to the US and need to protect sales of the costlier but fewer-featured VW70.

Ummm, no I'm afraid you'd be complete wrong in that assumption. More like a collapse in the $A exchange rate late last year from near parity to the $US @ .95c down to .65c. All of the retails here were talking of price jumps in electronics in the New Year thanks to that fact. So just when things were getting good here price-wise, slap, right to the back seat again...

As for whether it's still worth it... that's up to your calculations. I would say the benefit would be vastly eroded.

There a bound to still be some in stock around the place here, especially being post christmas and the slowing economy.
post #139 of 196
Which australian stores are you guys ordering your projectors? I'm interested too sony and other projector.
post #140 of 196
I've been e-mailing Rich Ward at Oz Theatre Screens: sales@ozts.com.au
post #141 of 196
Now who'd have guessed this would happen ....
post #142 of 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMS1999 View Post

Latest news from Australia is that Sony will have inventory in March, but is raising the price 30% -- THIRTY percent!!! T

I think the title of this thread needs to be changed to "....and NOT so cheap". I think it's a good PJ, but it sure didn't just get 30% better!
post #143 of 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMS1999 View Post

Latest news from Australia is that Sony will have inventory in March, but is raising the price 30% -- THIRTY percent!!! The must be aware of the arbitrage/importing of the units to the US and need to protect sales of the costlier but fewer-featured VW70.

So I think this is still a good proposition. What do others think?

So can you give us more info on your source ....and just so I don't panic there could be a large increase in the suggested retail but not so large increase in the actual retail price (at least I'm hoping for that).
post #144 of 196
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jclem View Post

I think the title of this thread needs to be changed to "....and NOT so cheap". I think it's a good PJ, but it sure didn't just get 30% better!

I disagree, more like ...was cheap, but too late you've missed the boat!', since it was started just over 3 months ago..
post #145 of 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by jclem View Post

I think the title of this thread needs to be changed to "....and NOT so cheap". I think it's a good PJ, but it sure didn't just get 30% better!

Just noticed youre from Framingham, isnt that Bose territory i.e. not so cheap!!!!
post #146 of 196
OK....so I got the word too...30% increase. Actually more than that based on numbers I received from early AU buyers.

Current owners...please chime in on your thoughts...is it worth the bump? Just on paper I tend to think it still a good value but hoping to get some feedback.
post #147 of 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzHDHT View Post

I disagree, more like ...was cheap, but too late you've missed the boat!', since it was started just over 3 months ago..

Oh we tried to be on the boat about 2 months ago. and it took from mid dec to now to hear this.

Who incresed the price? Sony? Or was it dealers trying to cash in on us importers?
In this economy a price increase makes about as much sence as ordering a projector from another country.
post #148 of 196
Greed buries more people than a shovel....

Those of you that got in on the VW80 last year were lucky. Sounds like a great projector for what was under $4K US. I missed the party by early December, waited and now will definitely pass at the current price of over $5200 US, epecially with what amounts to no warranty. The JVCs are a better deal and probably a better projector (especially if there's a firmware fix to improve CMS management).
post #149 of 196
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by W3bbY View Post

Oh we tried to be on the boat about 2 months ago. and it took from mid dec to now to hear this.

Who incresed the price? Sony? Or was it dealers trying to cash in on us importers?

Dealers cashing in on US buyers, sure AVS maybe a 'big' forum but that's taking it a bit far... 'Dealers' apart from the one who's sold a few here, wouldn't have clue about AVS'ers from the US buying up VW80's. As I already stated the exchange rate crashed late last year after record highs. Sony hedges against the exchange, so the prices were good when the VW80's first landed but now the exchange rate has caught up and somethings gotta give. If I went back to Sony direct to buy anything right now, as a business products customer I would also see that 30% price hike on pretty much all products that were freshly in stock
post #150 of 196
30% is not a normal increase. I would be ******** if I lived in aus and other natives got it 30% less than me a month ago. Just doesnt seem right OR make biznesss sense in any way.

Well I guess this party is over.

Enjoy guys
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP › Sony VW80 now available in Aus and cheap!!