or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP › Sony VW80 now available in Aus and cheap!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sony VW80 now available in Aus and cheap!! - Page 3

post #61 of 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherardp View Post

I dont see jack, the pics are invisible.

The pictures reside on DTV Forum - An Australian AV enthusiasts site. Over the last few days the site has been very unreliable.

Pictures are showing just fine as I type this...

Blade
post #62 of 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeRnR View Post

You're absolutely right! That's an unforgivable oversight on Sony's part. I think I'll send it right back. Can't have their Engineers making such a faux pas and thinking they can get away with it.


When you accidentally hit it in the dark (backlight or not), think of my post.
Relax Blade, it's a valid observation, not an attack on your ego.
post #63 of 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherardp View Post

I dont see jack, the pics are invisible.

It's ok Sherardp, its just some out of focus shots of the exciting cardboard box it comes in. What people really want to see is some in-action screenshots.
post #64 of 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkH View Post

When you accidentally hit it in the dark (backlight or not), think of my post.
Relax Blade, it's a valid observation, not an attack on your ego.

I'm always relaxed Mark - always

Tempted to buy a VPL-VW80 yet?
post #65 of 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytehoven View Post

How much do you want to ship your VW80 to the USA?


Given it's my first Projector, I got it for a good price and my better half would break a large number of bones in my body....

Not a lot

It's an amazing Projector for the $$$. I hope Sony sees sense and releases it in the U.S.

Cheers

Blade
post #66 of 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeRnR View Post

I'm always relaxed Mark - always

Tempted to buy a VPL-VW80 yet?

Um, no. The VW60 puts out a mighty fine picture as enthusiasts know. I wouldnt lose much in the changeover if I did it now, but not enough improvements for me to jump up and spend an extra couple of grand. If I was going to do it soon it would probably be for a new JVC.
post #67 of 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkH View Post

It's ok Sherardp, its just some out of focus shots of the exciting cardboard box it comes in. What people really want to see is some in-action screenshots.

Given the shots are for an "Unbox" one would assume there would be pictures of...a box! Out of focus? - LOL. They look good to me! Given the number of PM's I've had they were pretty popular for what they are (A rush job).

As for "In-action" shots - don't you worry your little old self about that Mark. They'll be coming soon enough - in spades

Added 3 more "In-Focus" shots just for your edification
post #68 of 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkH View Post

Um, no. The VW60 puts out a mighty fine picture as enthusiasts know. I wouldnt lose much in the changeover if I did it now, but not enough improvements for me to jump up and spend an extra couple of grand. If I was going to do it soon it would probably be for a new JVC.

Almost held out for the JVC HD750 Mark but with the Aussie dollar as it is I couldn't justify the extra $4000:00AUD this Projector will likely be (Still not sure on price but I think it'll hurt). The VPL-VW80 is a nice little stop-gap until LED/Laser Projectors make an appearance (Who knows when?).

I've seen the VW60 in action - it was a nice image which prompted the VW80 purchase.

With a 130" Scope Screen and Schneider Lens the VW80 should put out an outstanding image
post #69 of 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeRnR View Post

Given the shots are for an "Unbox" one would assume there would be pictures of...a box!

No doubt the VW80 puts out an amazing image, it would hardly be a step backwards now would it? I certainly wouldnt say no if the changeover price was a couple of hundred bucks, but I dont see this PJ giving me $2000 improvement over the VW60 I currently own. And of course had I not purchased a VW60 some months ago, this unit would certainly be on my top 3 list.
post #70 of 196
Gee, I am in Melbourne for a week. Maybe I should take one home.
post #71 of 196
No, but I would have to figure out how to convert it to 117V/60Hz and NSTC instead of PAL. I can deal with the first but I don't know if a PAL machine will work in NSTC land.

At the current rate of exchange it is a very good deal. Are there any to be found in Melbourne?
post #72 of 196
You won't need to convert anything.

Virtually every projector is multivoltage and multiformat. In other words you can use them anywhere in the world.

I've used projectors bought in Australia, and projectors bought in the States in Australia, and projectors bought in Japan in both countries.

Just as a matter of interest, don't forget that Blu-Ray and HD-DVD are not NTSC in any case.
post #73 of 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioBear View Post

No, but I would have to figure out how to convert it to 117V/60Hz and NSTC instead of PAL. I can deal with the first but I don't know if a PAL machine will work in NSTC land.

At the current rate of exchange it is a very good deal. Are there any to be found in Melbourne?

Australian Projectors are 100-240 volts... Will work anywhere!

All projectors will do NTSC and PAL .. (Eg 24hz, 50hz, 60hz etc)

You can get the GST refunded when you leave the country as far as I am aware.
post #74 of 196
Bytehoven,

I am in Melbourne now and will be until Monday (23 Nov). I would love to see one of these play. Does anyone know who has one on display in Melbourne?

PM me if you are serious about bringing one back.
post #75 of 196
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytehoven View Post

Would you have to pay the GST as a US citizen?

No. Very easy to avoid if it's mail order. A little harder to do if in person, but no that hard really, just paperwork.
post #76 of 196
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytehoven View Post

Oz...

How about Duty? Did I recall correctly that the VW80 might be duty free if properly listed?

It's all wrapped into the same thing these days. If you are claiming the GST back because of re-export, then you'll get the duty back as well, albeit, it's like 1%, not the full 5% import duty.

Take a look at this info for travellers. Even though it talks about the TRS only applying to travellers, which is true, it doesn't mean a business can't re-export items GST-free overseas:

http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=4646
post #77 of 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytehoven View Post

Has anyone noted the VW80 being back in stock or available for ordering at their local HT dealer?

EDIT: MWave now shows the VW80 as In Stock at their online warehouse.

Looking at their customer section shows that they don't ship overseas... can you pls PM me? I'm interested in this projector. No way I can afford it unless I take a chance and buy it from down under.
post #78 of 196
DigitalCamera has it, but they won't ship either.
post #79 of 196
Anyone here in the USA have one of these yet?

Please post impressions, screenshots, and any other info if possible.

thank you!
post #80 of 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytehoven View Post

Aqua...

I just placed a VW80 order this morning with Richard at OZ Theater Screens.

After finding the VW80 manual online, I decided to take the plunge. I hope it ships on Monday from the distributor and shipping should be 4-7 days.

I'll get a chance to see how the VW80 and HW10 compare in a number of ways.

I'll keep ya posted.

ah man... thats awesome.... look forward to your impressions
post #81 of 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbickle View Post

ah man... thats awesome.... look forward to your impressions

+1

Now all you need to do is also buy a VW70 and have a 3 way shootout, to close the book on VW70/VW80 differences !
post #82 of 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytehoven View Post

Aqua...

I just placed a VW80 order this morning with Richard at OZ Theater Screens.

After finding the VW80 manual online, I decided to take the plunge. I hope it ships on Monday from the distributor and shipping should be 4-7 days.

I'll get a chance to see how the VW80 and HW10 compare in a number of ways.

I'll keep ya posted.

Byte,

Great update. I'm still debating the VW80 over the HW10...and the Epson 6500.
post #83 of 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by sethk View Post

+1

Now all you need to do is also buy a VW70 and have a 3 way shootout, to close the book on VW70/VW80 differences !

Don't forget the VW200 while your at it
post #84 of 196
Even if it hits $4500 Aus MSRP still beats $8000 MSRP for a VW70 U.S.
post #85 of 196
Thats great news!

May consider this myself... It says 2 bulb replacements. I assume that is only if they fail?
post #86 of 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytehoven View Post

I tried to call Brian on Wednesday regarding a possible group discount, but he was not available. I plan to try again on Monday.

If you go with Mack, what do you have to do for warranty work during Sony's warranty period (don't think Mack covers warranty work during manufactorer's warranty period)? Can you have it worked on here in US?
post #87 of 196
I have to wait more than a week to get mine even in Sydney Australia. No shop including Sonystyle demo or stock this projector. They only sell base on order with deposit. Supply may go up in the next few weeks. I heard that they suffer from high Aus exchange rate in the past that most people will buy import instead of local. That really hurt their business so they don't bother to bring many in this time.
post #88 of 196
Sony Australia officially give only 1 year warranty on their products.

http://www.sony.com.au/cmt/articles/...tegoryId=21637

I have to pay another AUD545 to make it 3 years.
post #89 of 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytehoven View Post

Thank you... That actually makes a 3rd party warranty here a little more attractive.

Agreed. I will probably purchase the Mack warranty now, whereas I would not have if it didn't kick in until after 3 years.
post #90 of 196
Manual states that the VW80 as a motorized lens, Someone should produce a video of that in action
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP › Sony VW80 now available in Aus and cheap!!