or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Video Download Services & Hardware › Master Vudu discussion - place to talk about your Vudu experience
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Master Vudu discussion - place to talk about your Vudu experience - Page 58

post #1711 of 1923
Thanks for the text tip guys. I did sign up for a Twitter account to get the alerts but it seemed like a hassle just for this one feature so I emailed VUDU support and they have forwarded the feature request (for a text alert) to the engineering dept. and hopefully it will show up some day on their website.
post #1712 of 1923
I'm kind of doubting that they'll add that when they're already tweeting the information and so many people already have Twitter accounts.
post #1713 of 1923
I emailed vudu and the only response I got was to say they would respond in 24 to 48 hours-and no they never did.

So I thought I would try here. I have had my vudu box unhooked for a long time......many months. In that time, I also switched from Time Warner to Fios and have a new router.

The vudu is saying it cannot resolve host and auto network set up does not work. I have no idea what to input if I want to manually set up the network. It is asking for network address, ip address, network mask, Gateway and DNS.

I have the router key, mac address etc. (all on the label on the side of the Fios router)

What do I need to input? Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks,

Judy
post #1714 of 1923
I have the new sony blu-ray player that can play the Vudu DD+ audio. The audio sounds the same to me between HD and HDX. I thought HDX was supposed to have better sound but maybe that changed with DD+ streams. I am trying to determine if HDX offers any advantage when you have a 720P display. Is the audio the same quality between the HD and HDX?
post #1715 of 1923
Quote:
Originally Posted by keagy View Post

Is the audio the same quality between the HD and HDX?

Often, but not always--check the "More Info" tab in a title's description, which will tell you what sound encoding you'll get with each video level.
post #1716 of 1923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judy Y View Post

I emailed vudu and the only response I got was to say they would respond in 24 to 48 hours-and no they never did.

So I thought I would try here. I have had my vudu box unhooked for a long time......many months. In that time, I also switched from Time Warner to Fios and have a new router.

The vudu is saying it cannot resolve host and auto network set up does not work. I have no idea what to input if I want to manually set up the network. It is asking for network address, ip address, network mask, Gateway and DNS.

I have the router key, mac address etc. (all on the label on the side of the Fios router)

Is it a standalone Vudu box? Are you sure it's physically seeing the network? Are there any notes in the manual or documentation on resetting the box to defaults?
post #1717 of 1923
Thanks, I went back to the beginning and started all over again. Resetting helped. The box downloaded the new software and I am up and running!
post #1718 of 1923
My experience was this:

I bought A Fish Called Wanda on Blu Ray and it said I could have $5 credit on Vudo so I downloaded Vudo for my PS3 and looked but couldn't find anything I was interested in. Or maybe you couldn't buy anything for $5 and I don't rent movies.

That's all.

Maybe I'll check back into it again someday.

-Brian
post #1719 of 1923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post

I bought A Fish Called Wanda on Blu Ray and it said I could have $5 credit on Vudo so I downloaded Vudo for my PS3 and looked but couldn't find anything I was interested in. Or maybe you couldn't buy anything for $5 and I don't rent movies.

Yeah--that would be it. There's probably nothing to buy for $5 (or very little). Not renting a movie when it's free is pretty hardcore .
post #1720 of 1923
I rented "Chronicle" the other night but the audio was only Dolby Surround not 5.1 as listed. Not sure what was up with that. "God Bless America" which I rented last month played 5.1.
post #1721 of 1923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post

I rented "Chronicle" the other night but the audio was only Dolby Surround not 5.1 as listed. Not sure what was up with that. "God Bless America" which I rented last month played 5.1.

Huh. It's listed as being DD+ for all resolutions.
post #1722 of 1923
Dolby Surround is listed for stereo, at least it used to be. So is it stereo DD+?
post #1723 of 1923
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Dolby Surround is listed for stereo, at least it used to be. So is it stereo DD+?

I'm referring to what's listed here on their site, "Dolby Digital Plus 5.1" for SD, HD and HDX. If it had to send stereo to your device for some reason, I'd expect it to have some flavor of DPL matrix surround intact.
post #1724 of 1923
Anyone able to get dolby digital plus 5.1 (was playing Gone in HDX version with DD+ 5.1) from Vudu?

My AVR display that it's getting a Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 but sound is only coming out of the 2 front speakers. And this is the same with BD player S590, Xbox 360 and PS3 (displays Multi Ch) via HDMI to receiver. Netflix audio format is correct with all three players, so Is this a problem with Vudu?
post #1725 of 1923
Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Anyone able to get dolby digital plus 5.1 (was playing Gone in HDX version with DD+ 5.1) from Vudu?
All I can say is that the a 10 minute preview of The Debt that I own is coming through as DD+ 5.1 and is truly digital surround sound. All of the other freebies are now in DD+ Stereo rolleyes.gif, for which my AVR activates DPLII. This is just asinine--if you want to impress me with a demo, give me all of the sound.
post #1726 of 1923
I get 5.1 on everything listed as having it on my Sony S790. When playing the 2-minute preview I get 5.1 but trailers usually only play in stereo. I would test with 2-minute preview on a few other 5.1 titles.
post #1727 of 1923
Quote:
Originally Posted by keagy View Post

I get 5.1 on everything listed as having it on my Sony S790. When playing the 2-minute preview I get 5.1 but trailers usually only play in stereo. I would test with 2-minute preview on a few other 5.1 titles.

Hi keagy, is your S790 running through a receiver via HDMI? What does it display, DD+ or DD?

I will try a 2 minute preview and see. Can you name one 2 minute preview?
post #1728 of 1923
AFAICT, every title on VUDU has a 2 minute preview. It's just the first 2 minutes of the film, often beginning with over a minute of production company logos rolleyes.gif.

Act of Valor is in DD+ and has a 10 minute preview. It's definitely in 5.1; very sharp 3D sound imaging in an opening training parachute jump scene.
post #1729 of 1923
Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

AFAICT, every title on VUDU has a 2 minute preview. It's just the first 2 minutes of the film, often beginning with over a minute of production company logos rolleyes.gif.
Act of Valor is in DD+ and has a 10 minute preview. It's definitely in 5.1; very sharp 3D sound imaging in an opening training parachute jump scene.



Thanks michaelscott,"Act of Valor" plays fine so its "Gone" that has the audio problem.
post #1730 of 1923
Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Hi keagy, is your S790 running through a receiver via HDMI? What does it display, DD+ or DD?
I will try a 2 minute preview and see. Can you name one 2 minute preview?

I have the S790 connected via HDMI to a Denon 3311. If I have the S790 set to Bitstream then it shows as 5.1 DD+, or if I have the S790 set to output PCM then it shows as 5.1 multi-channel into the AVR.

I can also upconvert 2.0/5.1 Vudu sources (either Bitstream or PCM) to 7.1 on the 3311. I like the "Art of Flight" free clip because it is native 7.1 surround from VUDU.

I believe all the 2012 Sony Blu-rays will give you VUDU DD+ via HDMI including the S390/S590 models.
Edited by keagy - 6/10/12 at 10:30am
post #1731 of 1923
Quote:
Originally Posted by keagy View Post

I have the S790 connected via HDMI to a Denon 3311. If I have the S790 set to Bitstream then it shows as 5.1 DD+, or if I have the S790 set to output PCM then it shows as 5.1 multi-channel into the AVR.
I can also upconvert 2.0/5.1 Vudu sources (either Bitstream or PCM) to 7.1 on the 3311. I like the "Art of Flight" free clip because it is native 7.1 surround from VUDU.
I believe all the 2012 Sony Blu-rays will give you VUDU DD+ via HDMI including the S390/S590 models.

Thanks for the respond, my system is work correctly like you describe. The audio format in the movie "Gone" is broken ... guess before I rent is to play the preview first and hear how it sound smile.gif.
post #1732 of 1923
Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Thanks for the respond, my system is work correctly like you describe. The audio format in the movie "Gone" is broken ... guess before I rent is to play the preview first and hear how it sound smile.gif.

If that's the case you should contact VUDU and ask for a refund for the defective title. Explain why. They are fairly accommodating.
post #1733 of 1923
I saw that UV had Young Guns 2 available in HDX. I no longer owned the DVD (since I had downloaded a 720p version) but I wanted it in 1080p. So I RE-bought the DVD and brought it to Wal-Mart.

I got home and checked out the movie in HDX and both the HD and HDX versions are "squished," for lack of a better phrase. There are black bars on all 4 sides of the image. It's a 2.35 AR film so I expect it on the top and bottom but the image has been squeezed to the center.

I contacted Vudu to let them know and they said I had to contact UV and what was the response I got?
Quote:
Unfortunately, while Ultraviolet is a repository for the digital rights, we have no control over the movie streaming or downloads or the devices and software used to access them.

We apologize for the inconvenience but for assistance with these issues you will need to contact the respective provider where you downloaded the App or Desktop Software.

So basically, sorry, but you're screwed. I wasted $8 on a movie that I didn't need...and now I don't get a refund.

Between this and losing a $40 credit on Vudu all in one week, I'm kinda done with both. Horrible customer service.
post #1734 of 1923
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalfreakNYC View Post

I saw that UV had Young Guns 2 available in HDX. I no longer owned the DVD (since I had downloaded a 720p version) but I wanted it in 1080p. So I RE-bought the DVD and brought it to Wal-Mart.
I got home and checked out the movie in HDX and both the HD and HDX versions are "squished," for lack of a better phrase. There are black bars on all 4 sides of the image. It's a 2.35 AR film so I expect it on the top and bottom but the image has been squeezed to the center.
I contacted Vudu to let them know and they said I had to contact UV and what was the response I got?

So basically, sorry, but you're screwed. I wasted $8 on a movie that I didn't need...and now I don't get a refund.
Between this and losing a $40 credit on Vudu all in one week, I'm kinda done with both. Horrible customer service.

I would go back to VUDU and take a second shot. Don't let them wear you down, you are the customer! This experience makes me realize the customer service is just as important as the technology when it comes to video streaming.

That reminds me that it's time for me to go to my local Walmart to make another attempt at using their Disc-to-Digital service. Last time I went a few days after the launch, no one in the store had been trained yet.
post #1735 of 1923
Vudu seems to have gone to Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 which my ageing Pioneer receiver decodes as ProLogic. mad.gif

I watched "Juan of the Dead" and noticed the receiver had gone to Prologic. Guess it is time for a new receiver.
post #1736 of 1923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post

Vudu seems to have gone to Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 which my ageing Pioneer receiver decodes as ProLogic. mad.gif
I watched "Juan of the Dead" and noticed the receiver had gone to Prologic. Guess it is time for a new receiver.

I use prologic for everything. I use Prologic IIx Cinema. It does a great job with audio from 2.0 to 5.1 to create a discrete sounding 7.1 soundfield.
post #1737 of 1923
There is a 7.1 setting on my Pioneer VSX-D850S that I may experiment with though difficult to do experiments with streaming as sometime the "free" trailers aren't in that format. And will it be flummoxed by a newer encoding? I'm not adversed to getting a new receiver though as they don't cost like they used to. The Sony player is much more fussy than the Samsung I had before with sound output.
post #1738 of 1923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post

Vudu seems to have gone to Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 which my ageing Pioneer receiver decodes as ProLogic. mad.gif

I watched "Juan of the Dead" and noticed the receiver had gone to Prologic. Guess it is time for a new receiver.

This is because your receiver can't decode the DD+ and therefore you are getting just the 2.0 Dolby version which the receiver then is turning into 5.1 with ProLogic.  Note the surround channel of ProLogix is mono so same sounds from both surround speakers.

post #1739 of 1923
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post

Vudu seems to have gone to Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 which my ageing Pioneer receiver decodes as ProLogic. mad.gif
I watched "Juan of the Dead" and noticed the receiver had gone to Prologic. Guess it is time for a new receiver.

I use prologic for everything. I use Prologic IIx Cinema. It does a great job with audio from 2.0 to 5.1 to create a discrete sounding 7.1 soundfield.

Big difference between Pro Logic and Pro Logic IIx though.  Pro Logic only works on 2.0 and has mono surrounds.  PLIIx works on all sources and attempts to create discrete channels.

post #1740 of 1923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post

Vudu seems to have gone to Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 which my ageing Pioneer receiver decodes as ProLogic. mad.gif.
What are you playing VUDU out of which can't translate DD+ into basic DD? My BD players can do it--I checked that out the other day trying to help someone in these forums who was trying to get 5.1 sound over optical S/PDIF out of Netflix. DD+ is specifically designed to convert to DD by a non-compute-intensive process.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Video Download Services & Hardware › Master Vudu discussion - place to talk about your Vudu experience