or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Video Download Services & Hardware › Master Vudu discussion - place to talk about your Vudu experience
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Master Vudu discussion - place to talk about your Vudu experience - Page 63

post #1861 of 1923
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post

What's the DD+ demo called?

http://www.vudu.com/movies/#!content/197409/VUDU-Dolby-Demo

Actually it says Dolby Digital 5.1 for HD and HDX which maybe is why it works and Dolby Digital Plus isn't. Though I don't understand why if they are streaming in DD+ they would have a 5.1 demo. Checked and the film I had rented before is listed as Dolby 5.1. I'll have to check more carefully in the future and avoid Vudu if it is DD+ and watch in on Amazon which is only DD 5.1. Can't justify buying yet another AV receiver at the moment.
post #1862 of 1923
I don't think that that's a DD+ demo. VUDU has titles with DD+ and some titles with basic DD, sometime both for the same title, with one or two quality levels getting basic DD while the others get basic DD. I saw one title where the "More Information" tab said that the sound was DD+ for HD and basic DD for HDX, which makes little sense.
post #1863 of 1923
"Prometheus" lists DD+ 7.1 for either HD or HDX. You can run the 2-minute free preview and see what shows up on your receiver's dial. I guess that counts as a free DD+ demo
post #1864 of 1923
The demo provides clips from a movie that will give your sound system a workout. You will definitely know if surround is working or not. I guess the assume that most people have AV receivers that were made post DD+ or don't care.
post #1865 of 1923
There is a 7.1 DD+ free clip that can be used as a demonstration.

http://www.vudu.com/movies/#!content/313005/Art-of-Flight-Clip
post #1866 of 1923
So- did anybody catch the free stream of "Taken 2" that was up last night at midnight? It was listed as "Faken 2" with the generic background art and no description, and they had both the regular and unrated versions! Sadly I didn't have time to watch it right away, when I turned it off last night it said I had 48 hours left but it was gone tonight frown.gif
post #1867 of 1923
So how is viewing the 3D rentals on VUDU? I recently got a Mitusbishi DLP set that does 3D and I got a Panny 3D BD player. Which has VUDU and access to the 3D titles.
post #1868 of 1923
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

I recently got a Mitusbishi DLP set that does 3D and I got a Panny 3D BD player. Which has VUDU and access to the 3D titles.

When you go to VUDU Devices and click 3D only two LG players show up. I believe some PS3 owners said they can do 3D from VUDU. If true then VUDU really does need to update their info.
post #1869 of 1923
Yes they should get that updated since I would expect all the Panny 3D BD players to have it since I have the lowest end model with 3D.
post #1870 of 1923
I'm able to access the 3D content on my PS3. In fact, I was able to download UNDERWORLD: AWAKENING 3D to one of my consoles. My Panasonic Blu-ray player (model 220) is also able to access the 3D content, as can my Sony player (model 590) & the Vizio E3D420VX I use as a computer monitor. The quality of the 3D movies at 1080p is not bad, though certainly not as sharp as Blu-ray.
post #1871 of 1923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy1 View Post

The quality of the 3D movies at 1080p is not bad, though certainly not as sharp as Blu-ray.

I seriously doubt that VUDU is supplying FHD3D (full resolution each eye). It most likely is one of the half resolution formats (Side-by-Side or Top-and-Bottom). Folks who rip 3D Blu-ray’s (which is FHD3D) say the data rates can exceed 90 Mbps.
post #1872 of 1923
What is vudu doing to the 3d file that allows my Tv (vt25) to switch to 3d automatically? Any sbs mkv I download requires my tv to be manually switched to side by side mode in order to watch.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #1873 of 1923
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsoares28 View Post

What is vudu doing to the 3d file that allows my Tv (vt25) to switch to 3d automatically? Any sbs mkv I download requires my tv to be manually switched to side by side mode in order to watch.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My TV, a Mitsubishi DLP, switches automatically as well when receiving a 3D signal from Vudu.
post #1874 of 1923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post

I seriously doubt that VUDU is supplying FHD3D (full resolution each eye). It most likely is one of the half resolution formats (Side-by-Side or Top-and-Bottom). Folks who rip 3D Blu-ray’s (which is FHD3D) say the data rates can exceed 90 Mbps.

Is Tapatalk similar to rap? biggrin.gif
post #1875 of 1923
Using Roku 2 XD and Vudu which until a few days ago worked including 5.1 audio. Then tonight none of my Vudu owned collection will play any audio in 5.1 any more. All other channels still work fine. I have tried it both through my receiver which is DD+ capable and directly to my Panasonic Viera no sound other than initial pop then nothing. Obviously Vudu has done something to their feed recently so it will not decode. Until it is fixed I'm done buying from Vudu.
post #1876 of 1923
VUDU on my Roku 2 XS is playing sound perfectly, DD+ 5.1.
post #1877 of 1923
^^^ Likewise I rented Argo from VUDU last night and it played perfect - HDX (DD+) on my WDTV Live streamer.
post #1878 of 1923
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Yes they should get that updated since I would expect all the Panny 3D BD players to have it since I have the lowest end model with 3D.

Almost any BD player that does 3D and has the Vudu app will work, FYI.
post #1879 of 1923
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsoares28 View Post

What is vudu doing to the 3d file that allows my Tv (vt25) to switch to 3d automatically? Any sbs mkv I download requires my tv to be manually switched to side by side mode in order to watch.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't believe it is either, although it is not BD quality, it is quite good. My TV also goes into 3D automtically and any other 3D program I access that is SBS or TAB requires me to manually set my TV as well.
post #1880 of 1923
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrimore View Post

Almost any BD player that does 3D and has the Vudu app will work, FYI.

Except the PS3. Well it will output 3D from VUDU, but only in 720P 3D. While from the Panny BD player it shows up as 1080P 3D.
post #1881 of 1923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floydster View Post

Is Tapatalk similar to rap? biggrin.gif
Rap for your fingers. Maybe they should call it Rapatap :-D
post #1882 of 1923
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

I've said for some time now, that if VUDU and the rest would get the cost down to under 2 bucks for an HDX stream, I think they would clean up .. it's the price that's holding them back, IMO .. I suppose the business model must be working for VUDU, but I'm also sure that Walmarts money is helping .. as long as these guys try to milk the max money, I just don't see how they can grow .. I will say, though, that I'm sure the "Rent Before Disk / Rent While Still at Theater" that is offered on some films appeals to a select group of folks .. I'm a patient and frugal person, so the advance availability has no appeal to me ..

I hate to quote an old post, but this has got to change at some time and I am sure it is being dictated by the content providers and not Wal-Mart/Vudu. WM would love nothing more than to corner the market on VOD and I am sure they would price lower if they could. That being said, if the studios really want to do away with physical media, that is all they would have to do is to allow Vudu, Amazon and others to rent at prices comparable to Redbox. If that happens, what would be the draw for physical media to the average consumer? Every movie ever made available to rent at $1-2 per viewing would stop most from ever buying a disc again. period.
post #1883 of 1923
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrimore View Post

I hate to quote an old post, but this has got to change at some time and I am sure it is being dictated by the content providers and not Wal-Mart/Vudu. WM would love nothing more than to corner the market on VOD and I am sure they would price lower if they could. That being said, if the studios really want to do away with physical media, that is all they would have to do is to allow Vudu, Amazon and others to rent at prices comparable to Redbox. If that happens, what would be the draw for physical media to the average consumer? Every movie ever made available to rent at $1-2 per viewing would stop most from ever buying a disc again. period.

I agree with your statement but it's only half the issue, Another big reason why the studios have to maintain the physical media is the high speed internet infrastructure in the U.S is not equipped to handle streaming only media. Minus the major population areas and even in some of those regions there is either no high speed internet or the quality drops dramatically once a significant amount of people start accessing the internet, especially to stream games or movies.
post #1884 of 1923
Quote:
Originally Posted by H8ter2 View Post

I agree with your statement but it's only half the issue, Another big reason why the studios have to maintain the physical media is the high speed internet infrastructure in the U.S is not equipped to handle streaming only media. Minus the major population areas and even in some of those regions there is either no high speed internet or the quality drops dramatically once a significant amount of people start accessing the internet, especially to stream games or movies.

Agreed. The only way around that is with some of the devices that allow download of the content (PS3 for Vudu, Tivo for Amazon, etc.). However at some of the speeds available to some people in the US even that is probably not possible.
post #1885 of 1923
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrimore View Post

Agreed. The only way around that is with some of the devices that allow download of the content (PS3 for Vudu, Tivo for Amazon, etc.). However at some of the speeds available to some people in the US even that is probably not possible.

But even VUDU on the PS3 is limited to only 15mb/s download speeds. That is the highest download speed you can set it for. Which really sucks since my internet download speeds are ten times that on FiOS.
post #1886 of 1923
Anyone seeing an issue with PS3 and the vudu app after 4.41 software update last night? I lose handshake now when loading the app, wasnt happening with 4.40.
post #1887 of 1923
My computer is freezing and completely locking up anytime I try and watch a movie on vudu. Can anyone help? It wasn't doing this about a month ago. Thanks in advance
post #1888 of 1923
Sorry if this has been asked a million times, but what are the recommended hardware players that support 1080p24 Vudu playback? My new-ish Sony blu-ray player does not frown.gif And my PS3 did not either. Seems ridiculous for Vudu not to allow 1080p24 output when so many of their source files are 1080p24. I know the old Vudu boxes supported 1080p24 but they do not support 7.1 (or HDMI audio bitstreaming).

Thanks!
post #1889 of 1923
The VUDU boxes supported HDMI audio bitstreaming, but only with legacy DD audio since it was only HDMI 1.2.

I think my Panasonic BDT220 BD player supports 1080P24 output from Vudu. I know there is an option to switch to 1080P24 output when streaming from the apps.
post #1890 of 1923
Thanks for the quick reply! Interesting that the BDT220 supports 1080p24 Vudu playback. My friend had one of those and returned it due to reliability issues. Wish there was a list of players that support 1080p24 output for Vudu frown.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Video Download Services & Hardware › Master Vudu discussion - place to talk about your Vudu experience