or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › The SONY BDP-S5000ES Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The SONY BDP-S5000ES Owner's Thread

post #1 of 2418
Thread Starter 
So after owning the Denon 3800, Pioneer 51/05, Panny BD35, Sony s350, PS3 and sammy 1500 (plus many more in the past) what the heck am I doing testing the new Sony BDP-S5000ES? It's simple. I want a stand alone player with the reliability factor and great load times. Not to mention top notch pic Q. With its high MSRP of $1999 I was very hopeful...

I will say it is very heavy in the box. They packed it well. And the remote (I know like the 550 model) is nice. I like the fact that it lights up blue... I will also state that it is hands down the best looking Blu-ray player Sony has made to date. Very solid and impressive looking.

So after spending the first hour loading as many of my Blu-ray titles as I could I can say not one refused to load! I will update this post if one does fail to load but my goal is to attempt every title I own by the end of the day on Sunday. I did turn on the quick start mode and I am impressed. I did not pull out a stop watch but I can say when I powered it on it was the fasted player to start up. And yes the PS3 is still faster but not by to much. I also like the crossbar GUI I have gotten used to. It makes navigating a breeze.

So how did it do pic Q wise? I will say it is on par with my Denon 3800. I was impressed with all the extra picture adjustments you can do. I am also impressed with a few of the special features it does to. Like SBM (super bit mapping) which actually does smooth reproduction of the video signal. The HD Reality Enhancer also makes the picture somewhat sharper without adding ringing or halos. Keep it up only on 1 or 2 though. When you go 3 it is pushing it. You also have your selections for Deep Color. I also really like having the ability to select 12 bit or 10 bit video. And of course you have the higher end options of picking YCbCr 4:2:2 and 4:4:4 and RGB 16-235 or 0-255. And there is even a x.v. Color output selection to. Of course you also have all the usual picture adjustments (contrast,brightness,gamma, etc...). After spending about 20 minutes tweaking I was able to obtain the pinnacle of 1080p/23.98 excellence that I come to expect from the highest end players. I was not disappointed. I was able to see exceptional detail with a great balance in sharpness and color.

Other cool things... Sony included an EXT memory (usmigh) which is inserted into the EXT slot on the back. This is for Bonus View/BD Live. More on that later. Also, when you hit the OPTIONS button on the remote it instantly shows you basic options on the screen. Like Play from the beginning, Top Menu, Pop Up Menu, ETC... and then above there are the AV settings which lead to a plethora of tweaks...

So how does it compare to the others? I will say I just put in the latest 1.12 firmware for the Pioneer 51FD which does make it a completely different player. I also just did the 1.111 on the 3800. Just did the Panny BD35 with its latest that just came out to. The PS3 is of course always updating itself which is what I hope the S5000ES will do to. Load times are starting to decline on all models. It's about time. I will say the S5000ES does seem to be the closest to the PS3. The 51FD is catching up though with its latest firmware (unless they are on a newer one by now) and not far behind. As for pic Q at 1080p/24 they are all nearly identical (I know, I sound like a broken record ). Tweaking is the difference maker and the 3800, 51FD and S5000ES are at the top. Don't ask me to pick a top player because it is getting harder to do. Anyone would be more than happy with them. The next factor in deciding would be the reliability factor and before this latest firmware for the Pioneer I would not have even brought it up in this review. The 3800 has been solid and of course my fail safe will always be the PS3. If the S5000ES can get the job done (I will know more by Sunday) then it will be right there with the 3800 in terms of being the all around player. Audio wise and pic Q wise. And then the S5000ES will have the edge in load times.

So to finally conclude the S5000ES opening review... Is it worth it? That depends on how important load times, reliability, pic Q, Audio needs and BD Live are to you. If (and that's a big IF) 3 or 4 out of 5 of those are then I say go for it. This is an excellent player that deserves to bare Sony's ES symbol.

I would like to thank Bob and the guys over at Sounds Deluxe in Naperville, IL for assisting me in getting the S5000ES so quick. They have a very nice set up there which includes my PJ the Sony VW200. It's good to see some custom install companies that have their act together and they definitely qualify.

Pics... My rack as of today with the S5000ES and I thought I would do a couple of Christmas pics since some light snow fell on my way back from my road trip picking up the player. Elf and Polar Express. Enjoy!
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #2 of 2418
Thread Starter 
Includes a couple from The Hulk... And close up of the S5000ES...
LL
LL
LL
post #3 of 2418
Does it decode DTS MA internally inside the player and output thru analogue?
post #4 of 2418
Sony seems to have gotten it right on spot with this player! Nice to see standalones like this with fast load times and top notch PQ & AQ.

Congrats with the player joerod and keep us posted! Excellent review!
post #5 of 2418
Awesome setup!!!

I have been kicking around the idea of "settling" for the BDP-S550 and waiting for the price of the BDP-S5000ES to come down a bit. After seeing that it is actually available and someone has actually received it, I may have to forgo that thought and sprint over to the local SonyStyle store and pick one of these up this weekend.

My new KDL-52XBR6 is on order and hopefully will arrive by the end of next week. I look forward to viewing my Blu-Ray discs in 1080p finally... (-:
post #6 of 2418
Thanks for the review Joe! Glad you're testing all your discs - because player reliability is #1 in my book. Hopefully this player wont suffer from "freezes" as do other machines. Please keep us updated.

Couple questions (can't seem to get an answer):

Does it have frame advance and reverse?
Time remaining feature on the OSD?
Does the "quick start" feature cause the machine to run warmer than normal?

Sounds like an excellent machine! (I have the first Sony ES DVD player released "The 9000" that I use every day in my second viewing room and it has been Exceptional for 8 straight years).

Anyone know if there is an owners manual on-line (I couldn't find one).
post #7 of 2418
That is what I call a review joerod.
post #8 of 2418
Thread Starter 
Thanks for the kind words everyone. It is 7:15 AM and I am up and at them. I will be comparing SD dvd performance today as well as testing the S5000ES reliability factor with my collection of Blu-ray titles. We are planning a new release viewing of Kung Fu Panda so tonite will be its first major test.

John, I will answer your questions soon. I do know whenever I would hit pause it would show a timeline. If you hit display it shows everything you need to know. Seriously. I will document everything this morning and post back...
post #9 of 2418
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ballentine View Post

Does the "quick start" feature cause the machine to run warmer than normal?

Of course. Quick-start mode uses more than 10x times more power than actual off.
post #10 of 2418
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

Thanks for the kind words everyone. It is 7:15 AM and I am up and at them. I will be comparing SD dvd performance today as well as testing the S5000ES reliability factor with my collection of Blu-ray titles. We are planning a new release viewing of Kung Fu Panda so tonite will be its first major test.

John, I will answer your questions soon. I do know whenever I would hit pause it would show a timeline. If you hit display it shows everything you need to know. Seriously. I will document everything this morning and post back...

great to read your postings here joe comparing to the other machines.

very much looking forward to how you find it for DVD.

please if you can confirm it has a native output setting ie 480i / 576i for DVD so can feed to an external scaler ? is this done via the display/output button on the remote as per previous sony players ?

did you find the quick start mode speeding up the boot up from standby joe.
post #11 of 2418
Joerod,

Nice review.

I'd like to hear more about how it compares to the Pioneer 51 with 1.12a firmware.
post #12 of 2418
Well done Joe !

Do you think you do just one test for me ?
If you can I'd like you to time out the boot up of "Day after Tomorrow" BD on the DVD-3800BDCI and the 5000ES from pressing play (or close) to the menu screen.

Thanks !
post #13 of 2418
Awesome...but did you run through a copy of the "hulk" with no problems. That seem llike a troubled DVD..."Iron Man" to a lesser degree.
post #14 of 2418
Hi Joe and thanx for your review

Can U tell me if the 5000ES is DLNA compliant ?

TIA

Pierre
post #15 of 2418
Hey there, I was wondering when you get a chance, can you compare the A/V quality of the 5000Es to the 51FD?
post #16 of 2418
Thanks for the great review.
post #17 of 2418
Joe, great review!

It appears we have a new King of the Hill. and finally an all around solid player. Unfortunately i don't have the $2k laying around

Keep the review coming, SD DVD and Audio next?

Gman
post #18 of 2418
Do any previous S1 owners notice an improvement in picture quality?
post #19 of 2418
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

So after owning the Denon 3800, Pioneer 51/05, Panny BD35, Sony s350, PS3 and sammy 1500 (plus many more in the past) what the heck am I doing testing the new Sony BDP-S5000ES? It's simple. I want a stand alone player with the reliability factor and great load times. Not to mention top notch pic Q. With its high MSRP of $1999 I was very hopeful...

I will say it is very heavy in the box. They packed it well. And the remote (I know like the 550 model) is nice. I like the fact that it lights up blue... I will also state that it is hands down the best looking Blu-ray player Sony has made to date. Very solid and impressive looking.

So after spending the first hour loading as many of my Blu-ray titles as I could I can say not one refused to load! I will update this post if one does fail to load but my goal is to attempt every title I own by the end of the day on Sunday. I did turn on the quick start mode and I am impressed. I did not pull out a stop watch but I can say when I powered it on it was the fasted player to start up. And yes the PS3 is still faster but not by to much. I also like the crossbar GUI I have gotten used to. It makes navigating a breeze.

So how did it do pic Q wise? I will say it is on par with my Denon 3800. I was impressed with all the extra picture adjustments you can do. I am also impressed with a few of the special features it does to. Like SBM (super bit mapping) which actually does smooth reproduction of the video signal. The HD Reality Enhancer also makes the picture somewhat sharper without adding ringing or halos. Keep it up only on 1 or 2 though. When you go 3 it is pushing it. You also have your selections for Deep Color. I also really like having the ability to select 12 bit or 10 bit video. And of course you have the higher end options of picking YCbCr 4:2:2 and 4:4:4 and RGB 16-235 or 0-255. And there is even a x.v. Color output selection to. Of course you also have all the usual picture adjustments (contrast,brightness,gamma, etc...). After spending about 20 minutes tweaking I was able to obtain the pinnacle of 1080p/23.98 excellence that I come to expect from the highest end players. I was not disappointed. I was able to see exceptional detail with a great balance in sharpness and color.

Other cool things... Sony included an EXT memory (usmigh) which is inserted into the EXT slot on the back. This is for Bonus View/BD Live. More on that later. Also, when you hit the OPTIONS button on the remote it instantly shows you basic options on the screen. Like Play from the beginning, Top Menu, Pop Up Menu, ETC... and then above there are the AV settings which lead to a plethora of tweaks...

So how does it compare to the others? I will say I just put in the latest 1.12 firmware for the Pioneer 51FD which does make it a completely different player. I also just did the 1.111 on the 3800. Just did the Panny BD35 with its latest that just came out to. The PS3 is of course always updating itself which is what I hope the S5000ES will do to. Load times are starting to decline on all models. It's about time. I will say the S5000ES does seem to be the closest to the PS3. The 51FD is catching up though with its latest firmware (unless they are on a newer one by now) and not far behind. As for pic Q at 1080p/24 they are all nearly identical (I know, I sound like a broken record ). Tweaking is the difference maker and the 3800, 51FD and S5000ES are at the top. Don't ask me to pick a top player because it is getting harder to do. Anyone would be more than happy with them. The next factor in deciding would be the reliability factor and before this latest firmware for the Pioneer I would not have even brought it up in this review. The 3800 has been solid and of course my fail safe will always be the PS3. If the S5000ES can get the job done (I will know more by Sunday) then it will be right there with the 3800 in terms of being the all around player. Audio wise and pic Q wise. And then the S5000ES will have the edge in load times.

So to finally conclude the S5000ES opening review... Is it worth it? That depends on how important load times, reliability, pic Q, Audio needs and BD Live are to you. If (and that's a big IF) 3 or 4 out of 5 of those are then I say go for it. This is an excellent player that deserves to bare Sony's ES symbol.

I would like to thank Bob and the guys over at Sounds Deluxe in Naperville, IL for assisting me in getting the S5000ES so quick. They have a very nice set up there which includes my PJ the Sony VW200. It's good to see some custom install companies that have their act together and they definitely qualify.

Pics... My rack as of today with the S5000ES and I thought I would do a couple of Christmas pics since some light snow fell on my way back from my road trip picking up the player. Elf and Polar Express. Enjoy!

Joe good review. How about some info re: deinterlacing of 1080i to 1080p and also of 480i stuff? Can you run a few tests from some of the disks out there for us?

jim
post #20 of 2418
Curious about the quality of analog out.
The Sony 550 sounds fine, but if the 5000 is better, I'll likely pick one up.
Paul
post #21 of 2418
Where are you Joe?
post #22 of 2418
He's either in awe of his new player or he's upset at his new player.
post #23 of 2418
Thread Starter 
I am on break and will post part 2 soon. I have been testing and comparing all day...
post #24 of 2418
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

I am on break and will post part 2 soon. I have been testing and comparing all day...

If you really want to provide helpful information, how about giving your opinion of the sound of the 5000ES over its analog output? That way, one can make a determination on if its better to just buy the 550.
post #25 of 2418
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBonn View Post

Curious about the quality of analog out.
The Sony 550 sounds fine, but if the 5000 is better, I'll likely pick one up.
Paul

I have the S550 and the 5000ES. I have it analog connected to my Lexicon MC-12. Have to say the sound is much better on the 5000ES. I tried it with the Hulk DTS-MA. It seemed to have a very clean crisp sound with better impact during the action scenes.
post #26 of 2418
aren't they both using the same DACs?
post #27 of 2418
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

aren't they both using the same DACs?

not sure on the dacs, but looking at the under the lid pics I beleive the 5000es has a better analog stage and power supplies which would be contributing to the better multi ch analog output I would expect.
post #28 of 2418
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

I am on break and will post part 2 soon. I have been testing and comparing all day...

Joe,
Very anxious to read part 2! Thanks for going to the trouble of reporting your test and comparison results. (I'll be basing my buying decision based on your recommendation).
post #29 of 2418
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ballentine View Post

Joe,
Very anxious to read part 2! Thanks for going to the trouble of reporting your test and comparison results. (I'll be basing my buying decision based on your recommendation).

Ditto. Well your recommendation and a price drop.
post #30 of 2418
Quote:
Originally Posted by alebonau View Post

not sure on the dacs, but looking at the under the lid pics I beleive the 5000es has a better analog stage and power supplies which would be contributing to the better multi ch analog output I would expect.

+1

The analog section and dedicated power supply for it in the 5000 are much better than the 550. (Too bad I don't need analog any more )
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › The SONY BDP-S5000ES Owner's Thread