or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › The SONY BDP-S5000ES Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The SONY BDP-S5000ES Owner's Thread - Page 77

post #2281 of 2418
Quote:
Originally Posted by johanverschuren View Post

I was wondering if the US version of 026 firmware update could also be applied for the European sold Sony Blu-ray players? Maybe the US Sony technical support team could give us some information about the subject. Or somebody else has experience with this matter?

You might try the Sony Technical Support forum. I've had some success with questions there:
https://forum.sel.sony.com/viewforum.php?f=63&sid=dda561b92fd53db366b6593ef27040e3

I should also add to my comment that I can vouch for firmware 026 being free of cinavia in the S350 & S550 players based on personally installing and testing that firmware. I cannot personally state it is also free of cinavia in a S5000es, since I do not have access to that player. But my understanding is that all 3 of those models use the same firmware, so it shouldn't be an issue.
I can also state that firmware 014 for the S1000es is free of cinavia, based upon personally installing and testing it.

You stated that firmware 026 would have cinavia processing included in the European version when it is released. Where did you get that information? I wonder why Sony would want a cinavia infected firmware 026 just for Europe?
Edited by Rich86 - 9/18/12 at 8:24am
post #2282 of 2418
If the US 026 firmware release is suited for the in Europe sold Blu-ray players BDP-S350, BDP-S550 and BDP-S5000ES than Sony would already have released the new 026 firmware update for their European models. This is not the case so we in Europe have to wait for the European 026 firmware release. Normally I look at the website of Sony UK for information but for this time I will check out also the Dutch website of Sony to see if there is a difference in the documentation of the firmware update.

For example the Dutch website of Sony for the first Blu-ray player BDP-S1E mentions the Cinavia™-technology in the latest firmware update and the Sony UK website not.

http://www.sony.nl/support/nl/product/BDP-S1E/downloads/BDPS1E_v620

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/BDP-S1E/downloads/BDPS1E_v620
Edited by johanverschuren - 9/21/12 at 1:05am
post #2283 of 2418
I have asked the Sony Support Team for Europe if they can look into the transition delay when playing dual layer DVDs for the BDP-S5000ES player. For BD50 Blu-ray disks there is no transition delay. Also for starting a movie you always have to push the tray button open/close. It is more convenient to use the start button as Sony nowadays applies in his new Blu-ray players such as the BDP-S390 player introduced this year.
post #2284 of 2418
Quote:
Just updated my S5000ES with the Ver. 026 Firmware, so far haven't noticed any differences in terms of picture or playback facility. the one Blu-ray disk in my collection that would not not play, the director's cut of "THX 1137" still does not load beyond the splash screen. Does anyone here have this disk and do you have similar issues? Will be trying others to see if anything else is notiecable with the upgrade


I don't have that movie, but I did notice that I am not able to play Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides BD. It gets to the upcoming previews screen, then it goes black and hangs. I have the latest firmware. That's the only disc in my collection that I've ever had a problem with.
post #2285 of 2418
Sony released in June the 026 firmware version for the North American market. In Europe we still have the 024 release. Maybe there will be for Europe an other firmware version with a different specification than the US firmware version.
post #2286 of 2418
Can this thing play SACDs? It is a nice looking player but I am not sure it you can play SACDs.
post #2287 of 2418
Quote:
Originally Posted by mantaraydesign View Post

Can this thing play SACDs? It is a nice looking player but I am not sure it you can play SACDs.
Unfortunately, Sony did not include SACD support in this player. Sucks. Would have been perfect for me. I still bought it since it was on sale. Still using my PS3 Gen 1 for SACDs.
post #2288 of 2418
Quote:
Originally Posted by bommai View Post

Unfortunately, Sony did not include SACD support in this player. Sucks. Would have been perfect for me. I still bought it since it was on sale. Still using my PS3 Gen 1 for SACDs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantaraydesign View Post

Can this thing play SACDs? It is a nice looking player but I am not sure it you can play SACDs.

Sony definitely dropped the ball by not including SACD in this transport.eek.gif
post #2289 of 2418
If this player had SACD, I would buy it right now. This player is built like a tank and weighing over 20 pounds!! WOW

I am looking to buy a new blu-ray player but so far I am not seeing anything I really like except for this player. I don't watch 3D and don't care about all the movie online streaming such as NetFlix, Youtube and other ones.

This BDP-S5000ES also looks aggressive and the best looking player I have ever seen. I just need a high quality blu-ray player and SACD feature. I hope Sony will make another blu-ray player with SACD in the ES line.

I was looking at the Oppo, Marantz and Denon. None of them look as good as the BDP-S5000ES. I might just buy it even if it does not provide SACD feature. Amazon got it right now for $1000 with free shipping.
post #2290 of 2418
Quote:
Originally Posted by mantaraydesign View Post

If this player had SACD, I would buy it right now. This player is built like a tank and weighing over 20 pounds!! WOW
I am looking to buy a new blu-ray player but so far I am not seeing anything I really like except for this player. I don't watch 3D and don't care about all the movie online streaming such as NetFlix, Youtube and other ones.
This BDP-S5000ES also looks aggressive and the best looking player I have ever seen. I just need a high quality blu-ray player and SACD feature. I hope Sony will make another blu-ray player with SACD in the ES line.
I was looking at the Oppo, Marantz and Denon. None of them look as good as the BDP-S5000ES. I might just buy it even if it does not provide SACD feature. Amazon got it right now for $1000 with free shipping.

I really appreciate my S5000ES, but if I were buying a transport today the BDP-S5000ES would not be in the running unless if it could be had for less than $450.00 new from an athorized dealer and even then I would still be hesitant. In 2012 there are just better options than the S5000ES. If I were in your shoes I would seriously consider the offerings from Cambridge, Marantz and Oppo.smile.gif The BDP-5000ES, Pioneer BDP-09FD and Denon DVD-3800BDCI days are well past us.smile.gif
post #2291 of 2418
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerwi View Post

I really appreciate my S5000ES, but if I were buying a transport today the BDP-S5000ES would not be in the running unless if it could be had for less than $450.00 new from an athorized dealer and even then I would still be hesitant. In 2012 there are just better options than the S5000ES. If I were in your shoes I would seriously consider the offerings from Cambridge, Marantz and Oppo.smile.gif The BDP-5000ES, Pioneer BDP-09FD and Denon DVD-3800BDCI days are well past us.smile.gif


Which Marantz model do you recommend? The Marantz seems to have nice looking players out of the bunch. Nice looking designs but I hear their players are really light. Bluray players are getting lighter and lighter every year. When you pick it up, it just does not feel like a good quality product.
post #2292 of 2418
Quote:
Originally Posted by mantaraydesign View Post

Which Marantz model do you recommend? The Marantz seems to have nice looking players out of the bunch. Nice looking designs but I hear their players are really light. Bluray players are getting lighter and lighter every year. When you pick it up, it just does not feel like a good quality product.

I only know traditionally that Marantz transports normally output good sound. The Marantz's would not be in the mix for me because their flagship blu-ray transport (UD7007) doesn't support 7.1 channel analog at an MSRP of $1,199.00. The Oppo BDP-105 offers cosiderably more for the same price. I personally like the sound of my recently sold Oppo BDP-95 (to be replaced with the BDP-105). I consider the Oppo BDP-105 (approximately 17 lbs.) to have excellent build quality based on today's standards. As far as the current offerings being light; transports weighing in excess of 20 lbs. are a thing of the past. Quality build today doesn't equate to a transport weighing as much as a boat anchor anymore.eek.gif In addition to the BDP-S5000ES I also maintain a Denon DVD-5910CI in my main setup. Now that thing is a beast even compared to the Sony (weighing twice as much).biggrin.gif

I would say audition as many transports as you can and let your ears guide you as believe video quality will be excellent on most and audio is too subjective.smile.gif
Edited by bakerwi - 11/15/12 at 10:53am
post #2293 of 2418
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerwi View Post

I only know traditionally that Marantz transports normally output good sound. The Marantz's would not be in the mix for me because their flagship blu-ray transport (UD7007) doesn't support 7.1 channel analog at an MSRP of $1,199.00. The Oppo BDP-105 offers cosiderably more for the same price. I personally like the sound of my recently sold Oppo BDP-95 (to be replaced with the BDP-105). I consider the Oppo BDP-105 (approximately 17 lbs.) to have excellent build quality based on today's standards. As far as the current offerings being light; transports weighing in excess of 20 lbs. are a thing of the past. Quality build today doesn't equate to a transport weighing as much as a boat anchor anymore.eek.gif In addition to the BDP-S5000ES I also maintain a Denon DVD-5910CI in my main setup. Now that thing is a beast even compared to the Sony (weighing twice as much).biggrin.gif
I would say audition as many transports as you can and let your ears guide you as believe video quality will be excellent on most and audio is too subjective.smile.gif



Well, these players are getting so light that when you push a button, the player will slide or move back. I was just reading the review on the Marantz UD7006 for $1000, it was so light that when you push on a button, the player would slide back. So I think they need to add more weight. Or you can go to Home Depot and find a way to nail it down so it will not dance around when you push on a button of the player. Maybe glue the 4 feet down or something.
post #2294 of 2418
Quote:
Originally Posted by mantaraydesign View Post

Well, these players are getting so light that when you push a button, the player will slide or move back. I was just reading the review on the Marantz UD7006 for $1000, it was so light that when you push on a button, the player would slide back. So I think they need to add more weight. Or you can go to Home Depot and find a way to nail it down so it will not dance around when you push on a button of the player. Maybe glue the 4 feet down or something.

I very rarely touch my transports once placed in my cabinet.biggrin.gif
post #2295 of 2418
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post

I think the thing that makes the 5000ES look better to me is the HD Reality Enhancer/ Super Bit which gives a richer more film like look.

a guy I work with has this player and says the hd reality enhancer even beats out the new oppo players with the Qdeo Video Processor.


so if I understand this chinavision does nothing to degrade the audio or video, just may prevent you from playing homemade bluray movies.
post #2296 of 2418
Quote:
Originally Posted by uuddlrlrbass View Post

a guy I work with has this player and says the hd reality enhancer even beats out the new oppo players with the Qdeo Video Processor.
so if I understand this chinavision does nothing to degrade the audio or video, just may prevent you from playing homemade bluray movies.

I have the HD Reality Enhancer and most of the wizardry in the Sony turned off because I think it makes the picture look unnatural in my opinion. The picture looks over processed which seems to be what Sony likes to exhibit from the blu-ray transports (also own a Sony BDP-S790 and I had short stint with a Sony BDP-S1000ES, which I thought the picture was intolerable). As far as the Oppo (I own a BDP-93 and recently took delivery of a BDP-105) I know it puts out a reference quality picture, but some may prefer the something else.biggrin.gif

I thoroughly enjoy the Sony BDP-S5000ES and I split time between it and the Oppo for blu-ray playback.smile.gif
post #2297 of 2418
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerwi View Post

I have the HD Reality Enhancer and most of the wizardry in the Sony turned off because I think it makes the picture look unnatural in my opinion. The picture looks over processed which seems to be what Sony likes to exhibit from the blu-ray transports (also own a Sony BDP-S790 and I had short stint with a Sony BDP-S1000ES, which I thought the picture was intolerable). As far as the Oppo (I own a BDP-93 and recently took delivery of a BDP-105) I know it puts out a reference quality picture, but some may prefer the something else.biggrin.gif
I thoroughly enjoy the Sony BDP-S5000ES and I split time between it and the Oppo for blu-ray playback.smile.gif

How is the HDMI sound quality between the Sony S5000ES and the Oppo 105? I too have a S5000ES that has done a great job but my upgradeitus is making me want to have 3D so an Oppo 105 is on the list.
post #2298 of 2418
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzybk View Post

How is the HDMI sound quality between the Sony S5000ES and the Oppo 105? I too have a S5000ES that has done a great job but my upgradeitus is making me want to have 3D so an Oppo 105 is on the list.

Shouldn't be any difference between the two running through hdmi.
post #2299 of 2418
I am thinking about using my 5000ES as a CD player (just using it for BD at the moment). Is there a general consensus on whether the stereo analog out or the L/R from the multichannel analog audio out sounds better? Right now I'm just using HDMI.


Thanks!
post #2300 of 2418
Depends on your receiver or pre/pro. Its a battle between the D/A coverter on the Sony vs. your processor or receiver. When I owned an Arcam AV9 processor, the D/A converter on the S5000ES beat the Arcam.
post #2301 of 2418
I don't have any high-end or exotic equipment powering my speakers right now...just using a Marantz 5006 AVR. I guess i'l just have to A/B it and see which sounds best to me. Thanks!
post #2302 of 2418
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatuglyguy View Post

I am thinking about using my 5000ES as a CD player (just using it for BD at the moment). Is there a general consensus on whether the stereo analog out or the L/R from the multichannel analog audio out sounds better? Right now I'm just using HDMI.
Thanks!

I too would like to know the answer to this. I interpreted the original question as "which is better, the stereo outs or the L/R from the MCH (both on the 5000ES)", as opposed to "is the analog section of the 5000ES better than other equipment?"
post #2303 of 2418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vader424242 View Post

I too would like to know the answer to this. I interpreted the original question as "which is better, the stereo outs or the L/R from the MCH (both on the 5000ES)", as opposed to "is the analog section of the 5000ES better than other equipment?"

I own the S5000ES and if you use the 2 channel analog out and your speakers are full range then most likely you'll get a better sound. When I owned the Arcam AV9 processor, the S5000ES sounded better over stereo and multichannel analog outs than the AV9. The S5000ES has a killer D/A converter.
post #2304 of 2418
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzybk View Post

How is the HDMI sound quality between the Sony S5000ES and the Oppo 105? I too have a S5000ES that has done a great job but my upgradeitus is making me want to have 3D so an Oppo 105 is on the list.

You will notice no difference between the sound of the Sony vs. the Oppo because when you use HDMI, you are using the D/A converter on your receiver or processor. I purchased the BDP-95 to use its analog outs, but I found the sound of the Oppo to be inferior to that of the S5000ES. The Sony had a more dynamic sound whereas the Oppo seem to truncate the highs somewhat and sounded woolly. Its difficult to describe, but I sent it (the Oppo) back and got a refund.
post #2305 of 2418
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post

I own the S5000ES and if you use the 2 channel analog out and your speakers are full range then most likely you'll get a better sound. When I owned the Arcam AV9 processor, the S5000ES sounded better over stereo and multichannel analog outs than the AV9. The S5000ES has a killer D/A converter.

Thanks!
post #2306 of 2418
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatuglyguy View Post

I am thinking about using my 5000ES as a CD player (just using it for BD at the moment). Is there a general consensus on whether the stereo analog out or the L/R from the multichannel analog audio out sounds better? Right now I'm just using HDMI.
Thanks!

What are you presently using as a CD player? I don't use the Sony analog (stereo or multi-channel) for anything musical, because I prefer my other alternatives. I am relying on my memory, but I thought some found the multi-channel analog to sound better than the stereo analog.

I am sure others will offer up some opinions.
post #2307 of 2418
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzybk View Post

How is the HDMI sound quality between the Sony S5000ES and the Oppo 105? I too have a S5000ES that has done a great job but my upgradeitus is making me want to have 3D so an Oppo 105 is on the list.

HDMI sound quality between the Sony and Oppo will be identical, but my personal preference (all things analog) is for the Oppo BDP-105 and I previously preferred my BDP-95 (sale pending) over the Sony. You can purchase the Oppo from Crutchfield with a 60 day no question ask return policy and they pay shipping both ways. This would give you ample time to audition both players in your setup and see which you prefer. Anything we offer you here will just be our preferences. The bottom line is there is no right or wrong answer. Just let your ears guide you.smile.gif
post #2308 of 2418
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerwi View Post

What are you presently using as a CD player? I don't use the Sony analog (stereo or multi-channel) for anything musical, because I prefer my other alternatives. I am relying on my memory, but I thought some found the multi-channel analog to sound better than the stereo analog.
I am sure others will offer up some opinions.

I was using an old Onkyo CD player that I no longer have room for via optical. On occasion I would run it through my DAC and it sounded decent. When I get my system set back up I will have to test the MCH/2CH analog out. I really want a Marantz SA8004 but until then this'll have to do smile.gif. Thanks!
post #2309 of 2418
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatuglyguy View Post

I was using an old Onkyo CD player that I no longer have room for via optical. On occasion I would run it through my DAC and it sounded decent. When I get my system set back up I will have to test the MCH/2CH analog out. I really want a Marantz SA8004 but until then this'll have to do smile.gif. Thanks!

If you were using the Onkyo via optical then your AVR was doing the decoding unless you were sending PCM. Good idea to test the MCH/2CH of the Sony because you may already like what you have. I haven't read anything discouraging about the DAC implementation in the Sony, but if I did it would have just been someone's preference followed by some adjectives (audiophile speak.biggrin.gif).smile.gif
Edited by bakerwi - 5/11/13 at 9:48am
post #2310 of 2418
Comparing multi channel analog vs hdmi the other night i noticed the multi channel sounds quiet and hdmi sounds louder with more punch. The multi channel seemed to have more detail although not sure if because it was more queit.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › The SONY BDP-S5000ES Owner's Thread