Originally Posted by zerostar
Anyone want to tackle a few questions?
I am ready to leave DirecTV due to no future with TiVo, so now I am looking at getting a series 3 tivo and comcast in a few weeks.
My main questions are:
1) Does the TiVo monthly fee provide the guide information or does that come thru Comcast somehow?
2) Do I need a phone line or does the TiVo do networking to get the guide data, if so what do I need? I have a network jack by my TV already for my DirecTiVo.
3) Does it handle dual tuning from comcast and do I need 2 coax lines like the DirecTiVo does? Do I need 2 cable cards and will this be a problem to get?
4) Everything comes in over the cable line so I don't need an antenna for the locals correct?
5) what package do I need to get the locals and Discovery in HD? I have total choice plus so what is Comcast's equivalent?
Thanks so much!!
This review should answer your questions.http://www.engadgethd.com/2006/09/27...-series3-tivo/
I have provided answers based on reviews I have read.
1) Your Tivo monthly fee is specifically for the guide data.
2) The Series 3 Tivo supports updates over Ethernet.
3) You only need to connect one coax but it will require two CableCards.
4) This is based on your cable provider and not the Tivo. If all of your locals are offered by your cable provide in HD you will not need an antenna. The Series 3 Tivo provides seamless integration of OTA and cable channels. You will never notice the switch to the OTA tunner.
5) Don't know. I am still with DirecTV.