or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Receiver Comparison for the inexperienced.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Receiver Comparison for the inexperienced.

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 
Guys I have a few receiver models in mind for a new purchase. I am wondering how do they compare to each other. Is one model far better in sound quality? Is one better in video? How about other aspects? Just would like to get the opinions of those who have experience with these models. How does the Marantz equivalent compare to these?

Denon 2809ci; Onkyo TX-SR806; Onkyo TX-SR706; Yamaha RX-V863; Pioneer Elite VSX-94TXH


Thanks for your help.
post #2 of 10
Hands down, get the Pioneer Elite VSX-94TXH

I have it, the sound quality and ease of use is outstanding

Jim
post #3 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jknotz View Post

Hands down, get the Pioneer Elite VSX-94TXH

I have it, the sound quality and ease of use is outstanding

Jim

lol. big suprise, someone who owns it says its a hands down winner.

Unless ofcourse you directly compared all others in the same setup.

I have an 805 and I wouldn't call it a hands down winner to anything unless I directly compared it to other modes in question. And even then, it would still be my opinion.

So much is subjective in this hobby. When others state a particular model is better than another model just because of ownership without even comparing the others doesn't really help anyone.

To the OP: Compare the models in question and get the one that has all the features you want. IMO, all in that price range will have very similiar sq.
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by spideytech View Post

Guys I have a few receiver models in mind for a new purchase. I am wondering how do they compare to each other. Is one model far better in sound quality? Is one better in video? How about other aspects? Just would like to get the opinions of those who have experience with these models. How does the Marantz equivalent compare to these?

Denon 2809ci; Onkyo TX-SR806; Onkyo TX-SR706; Yamaha RX-V863; Pioneer Elite VSX-94TXH


Thanks for your help.

Ownership of a receiver does not qualify the owner to state, as fact, that it is the hands down best one available. But that is what your apt to get with posts like this. From a SQ point of view, nobody could pick between any of the receivers you list in any kind of blind test although you will find dozens of fanboys that will argue endlessly that theirs is the best. There has never been any evidence submitted or any test performed that can be pointed to that supports anybody's claim that they can tell any native difference in sound between receivers. What you should do is simply make a list of features that are important to you in your system. Inputs, power output, EQ, Video processing or video passthrough, etc. and then make a list of the ones that meet your criteria. With this list, search for the best value you can find, regardless of brand, and buy it. Enjoy, don't look back ,and don't second guess your choice. I appreciate all the Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, etc. owners that love their gear. They should, they bought it. When I am upstairs I love my Yamaha. When I'm downstairs I love my NAD. When I'm in my music room I love my B&K. There will be a difference in power output between receivers so make sure that, given your room size and speaker sensitivity, you purchase one that meets your power requirements, but other than that, a DAC is a DAC.
post #5 of 10
I feel that if you can't find flaws in a modern AVR, you are almost certainly not looking hard enough IMHO, they are too complicated too achieve 10/10 in every category.

The real question is, can you live with a specific model's quirks.

I like my new Yamaha RX-V3900, and would give it 4 out 5, but I listed a lot of cons in my review and I even missed some others have since pointed out.
post #6 of 10
I have a Denon AVR 987 that I am looking to upgrade, so I have been checking out the 2809, as well as a couple of others you mentioned. I have always been a Denon guy, so am leaning toward that, but have also heard good things about the Yamaha. I am pretty sure the 863 has 2 subwoofer outputs which is nice for a bigger space, or if you want a sub in a second zone. A buddy of mine has the Pioneer Elite which is pretty good, but I think it's the 82 model. I like Denon for sound quality, it is always nice and warm.
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by boblio View Post

I am pretty sure the 863 has 2 subwoofer outputs which is nice for a bigger space, or if you want a sub in a second zone.

A Y adaptor does the same. I have 2 subs (soon to be 4 )
post #8 of 10
Thread Starter 
Thanks guys for the input. It is greatly appreciated. I am leaning heavy towards the Denon but only because of the audyssey tools. I like all the features the Pioneer offers including the network connection. The only one I have experience with is the Yamaha (older model). I figured it would come down to features offered.

Thanks again
post #9 of 10
I have a Pioneer Elite 91. I'd go for the Denon. (I actually wanted to get a 2308 or 2808 when I got my 91, but they were just coming out and not yet in stock at my local store)
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by spideytech View Post

Thanks guys for the input. It is greatly appreciated. I am leaning heavy towards the Denon but only because of the audyssey tools. I like all the features the Pioneer offers including the network connection. The only one I have experience with is the Yamaha (older model). I figured it would come down to features offered.

Thanks again

Audyssey licenses their technology to lots of different manufacturers. But the implementation of Audyssey into the final product varies between those manufacturers. I had a Denon 3608 and was very unhappy with the Audyssey implementation. But I have heard that they have since changed it and is quite good now. NAD has a unique Audyssey implementation that is outstanding and much better than the straight Audyssey, to me. Quite a few agree that the NAD curve is outstanding. You might just want to take a look at NAD as well, but as stated, you really can't go wrong which ever way you go.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Receiver Comparison for the inexperienced.