or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › The New SVS PC12-Plus
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The New SVS PC12-Plus - Page 7

post #181 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedNut View Post

You realize you CAN pick it up at the distribution center after the first attempted pickup, right?

That's been a lifesaver for me, since they deliver ground at any one of 4 separate timeframes to my house...

Yeah, but I PAID to have it delivered it on a timely basis and they (UPS) did not make that delivery commitment date. Even if I had a vehicle big enough to pick it up in, I would not risk damaging myself and it.
post #182 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebesthereis View Post

Yeah, but I PAID to have it delivered it on a timely basis and they (UPS) did not make that delivery commitment date. Even if I had a vehicle big enough to pick it up in, I would not risk damaging myself and it.

Not sure UPS ground has a guaranteed delivery. Just an expectation.

You say they have tried to deliver, but you can't be home for it. You don't have a neighbor that can sign for it? UPS is not going to accommodate your schedule. SVS is picking up the tab and even paying for a shipment that is not affected by this one. Saved you over $100, what's the problem?

Did your other packages get delivered on Saturday?
post #183 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by ransac View Post

Not sure UPS ground has a guaranteed delivery. Just an expectation.

You say they have tried to deliver, but you can't be home for it. You don't have a neighbor that can sign for it? UPS is not going to accommodate your schedule. SVS is picking up the tab and even paying for a shipment that is not affected by this one. Saved you over $100, what's the problem?

Did your other packages get delivered on Saturday?

Not a "guaranteed delivery" per se, but it is called a "commitment time" that they are supposed to meet, or the delivery is on them.
I don't trust anyone to sign for this but me. ESPECIALLY not any neighbors. (I live in NY dude)
Yeah, they made other attempts to deliver it at times when I wasn't home. (I live alone so if I can't be available to sign for it, I trust NO ONE ELSE to sign for it) . I took a day off from work initially while tracking it diligently via online & via the UPS 800 #. SVS didn't really pick up the tab. UPS has to refund them also, for BOTH shipments. All 9 packages that I was expecting from SVS got delivered together. Saved me over a FEW hundred dollars to get 9 packages weighing almost 400lbs. total delivered 2nd day air with Saturday delivery. No problem really, except UPS that delivers to my area are a bunch of lazy monkeys, and so long as I don't have to pay for UPS's mistakes, I'm good.
post #184 of 271
So, does anyone else have a comment on this sub?
post #185 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvp2005fan View Post

So, does anyone else have a comment on this sub?

I do. This sub is BONKERS!! I just have mine connected to my sub-out from my TV set and even though there is a total mismatch in decibels, friends and neighbors come by and ask if I'm trying to install a REAL movie theater sound system. I must say, it's DEFINITELY the one of the best $1000 I have ever spent. I have not tried tuning the ports (yet ) to get the bass lower only because I don't want to sacrifice decibels. Once I get my AV receiver and the speakers installed, it's over. I'm trying to be the wind that shakes the barley. I try to listen to more content with more LOWER bass but since I don't have everything I need hooked up yet to get the FULL appreciation out of it, I'm just collecting what I need for now.
post #186 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvp2005fan View Post

So, does anyone else have a comment on this sub?

Had it for a while now and am still head over heals in love with it. Completely overpowered for my condo and my neighbors downstairs but it's incredible. Can't wait until I move so I can upgrade to a second one or maybe a pair of ultras.
post #187 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvp2005fan View Post

So, does anyone else have a comment on this sub?

Unbelievable for the price. It totally handles everything I throw at it with ease. The kind of powerful clean output you get is really eye opening. Very satisfied with my sub to say the least.
post #188 of 271
Glad to see that ya'll are enjoying your subs!

Question: Is there any easy, trauma-free way to remove the grilles so I can play with port plugs?

While we're on the topic--I've brainwashed my entire family not to put anything on top of any speaker or piece of AV equipment anytime/anywhere.
But I was wondering if anyone has had a mishap with these upfacing ports.

(Years ago, I almost had a stroke when a friend just plopped a wet glass on top of a sub--that was the last time she came over ).

Last question: how "hot" are you running the PC-12Plus--I've got mine at 78db at the listening position (rest of the system is at 75 db)
post #189 of 271
I feel like adding my two cents. I got bitten buy the plus bug and bought duals And I,ve never been the same. I know I'm over subbed, but these things are just simple incredible!!!! I also bought the anti mode 8033, and when I crank up the volume, the dogs literally run for cover I have to give all of you on this forum the credit, best place for info-period. Eric
post #190 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbugr View Post

I feel like adding my two cents. I got bitten buy the plus bug and bought duals And I,ve never been the same. I know I'm over subbed, but these things are just simple incredible!!!! I also bought the anti mode 8033, and when I crank up the volume, the dogs literally run for cover I have to give all of you on this forum the credit, best place for info-period. Eric

No such thing as "over subbed", brother!

Congrats on your duals--I'm a member of the dual clan as well--they sure are fun!
post #191 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvp2005fan View Post

Glad to see that y'all are enjoying your subs!

Question: Is there any easy, trauma-free way to remove the grilles so I can play with port plugs?

Have you ever had to open a large can of popcorn or Danish cookies that come in a tin and the lid was so tight you had to lift it off a little at a time as you moved around the circumference? That's way you remove the grill on a PC-NSD/Plus/Ultra.
post #192 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by ransac View Post

Have you ever had to open a large can of popcorn or Danish cookies that come in a tin and the lid was so tight you had to lift it off a little at a time as you moved around the circumference? that that way you remove the grill on a PC-NSD/Plus/Ultra.

Thanks a great description--do you pry the thing off with your fingers only?
post #193 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvp2005fan View Post

Thanks a great description--do you pry the thing off with your fingers only?

That's how I removed mine. If it is too tight, you may have to get a little creative.
post #194 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by ransac View Post

That's how I removed mine. If it is too tight, you may have to get a little creative.

Thanks!
post #195 of 271
Well, I finally made up my mind after a lengthy research and decision making timeframe and ordered the PC12-Plus today!

I am setting up a home theater in a spare bedroom. Anything I should know or steps should take first?
post #196 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtbig View Post

Well, I finally made up my mind after a lengthy research and decision making timeframe and ordered the PC12-Plus today!

I am setting up a home theater in a spare bedroom. Anything I should know or steps should take first?

Congrats, 1st step is dialing it in, so a SPL meter is recommended.
post #197 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtbig View Post

Well, I finally made up my mind after a lengthy research and decision making timeframe and ordered the PC12-Plus today!

I am setting up a home theater in a spare bedroom. Anything I should know or steps should take first?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherardp View Post

Congrats, 1st step is dialing it in, so a SPL meter is recommended.

1+ Sherardp's advice is the best and most important advice when getting a sub! (Many favor the analog Radio Shack SPL meter--a tripod is often very useful as well).

I would also read this: simple guide to subwoofer placement and subwoofer placement guidelines to give you an idea on how to find the optimal placement of the sub in your room.

Finally, you'll likely need some active bass music sources to test out your placement when you are done.
post #198 of 271
This is probably old hat for some of you, but I just found this (make sure the sound on your computer is on when you view it):

Funny SVS Animation Clip

Enjoy!
post #199 of 271
I have been agonizing over my sub choice and was only planning on $500-$6
00 for my budget. Every one here was so darn excited with their purchase I felt I would be a fool not to do the same. Looking forward to a whole new experience. Thanks again for pushing me down the right path.
post #200 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoFinn View Post

I have been agonizing over my sub choice and was only planning on $500-$6
00 for my budget. Every one here was so darn excited with their purchase I felt I would be a fool not to do the same. Looking forward to a whole new experience. Thanks again for pushing me down the right path.

Cool!

Let us know how you like it!
post #201 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoFinn View Post

I have been agonizing over my sub choice and was only planning on $500-$6
00 for my budget. Every one here was so darn excited with their purchase I felt I would be a fool not to do the same. Looking forward to a whole new experience. Thanks again for pushing me down the right path.

Hey Paco, you're not at all alone. I first started hunting for subs with a $400 max budget.... Now I own an Ultra.

... Go figure.

Enjoy it, and please stay in touch so we can help you.


Tim
post #202 of 271
Bought PC-12Plus. Now awaiting for it to be delivered. Hope to have a whole new experience with it over my current Velodyne DLS-4000R. Now, I intend to use my current sub to make it 7.2 setup. Wonder that would be wise.

Updates :

Sold off my Velodyne since PC-12Plus is simply awesome. It blends in well with my Klipsch and its performance is breathtaking. One PC-12Plus is more than enough.
post #203 of 271
If anyone would like to see a couple of these subs in situ, I posted a few pics here:

Two PC-12 Pluses in Mythos System

One of the characteristics of this sub is that I think it looks better in person than in pics, so please don't let my poor photography scare you off!
post #204 of 271
I haven't considered the PC-12 Plus, but after reading the enthusiasm from u guys i am tempted. A couple of questions please:

1) Has anyone tried laying the sub on its side? Have you noticed a difference? It seems that the verticle weight would help with keeping the driver accurate. On its side it seems like it could move the whole tube.

2) Has anyone directly compared it to its twin in the box version (PB). I know SVS says it should perform identical; however, they are totally different and I don't expect an apple to taste like an orange.
post #205 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepstang View Post

I haven't considered the PC-12 Plus, but after reading the enthusiasm from u guys i am tempted. A couple of questions please:

1) Has anyone tried laying the sub on its side? Have you noticed a difference? It seems that the verticle weight would help with keeping the driver accurate. On its side it seems like it could move the whole tube.

2) Has anyone directly compared it to its twin in the box version (PB). I know SVS says it should perform identical; however, they are totally different and I don't expect an apple to taste like an orange.

I've only read about folks putting the SVS cylinders on their sides and apparently they work OK in that fashion. However, since they are clearly designed to stand upright (with a weight distribution to match), I suspect that option is second best.

I, too, would be interested in a box vs. cylinder in a real world test, since the box measures differently. However, I suspect SVS is giving the straight scoop about real world performance--there is no motivation for them to claim something that isn't true in this case (in fact, it would benefit them financially if they claimed the box was better). Therefore, I'd bet I would be hard pressed to tell the difference. Having said that, perhaps someone out there with better ears can.
post #206 of 271
UPDATE: I pulled the trigger, and my new PC-12 PLUS just arrived today

For those of you with a PLUS or ULTRA and use the sub for primarily HT, do you have a recommendation as to which port plug set-up worked best. So far I am having success with just one port plug in.

Should there be a break in period before I drive her hard? Also, I had a Y-splitter to split my single LFE when I had it connected to my old Velodyne. I read that the SVS works just fine without the Y-splitter. Am I correct not to use the splitter with the SVS, and is there a preferred color (red or white) that I connect the single LFE to?

I am also wondering if I should get an SPL to figure out the best EXACT placement. So far, i have the sub on its side and have the driver about 6"-12" from the wall.

Last question: Did anyone change any of the PHASE settings on the sub? I have it on 0 like is recommended, the gain is at 12 o'clock, and the PEQ stuff is fully counter-clockwise. Thanks!
post #207 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepstang View Post

UPDATE: I pulled the trigger, and my new PC-12 PLUS just arrived today

For those of you with a PLUS or ULTRA and use the sub for primarily HT, do you have a recommendation as to which port plug set-up worked best. So far I am having success with just one port plug in.

Should there be a break in period before I drive her hard? Also, I had a Y-splitter to split my single LFE when I had it connected to my old Velodyne. I read that the SVS works just fine without the Y-splitter. Am I correct not to use the splitter with the SVS, and is there a preferred color (red or white) that I connect the single LFE to?

I am also wondering if I should get an SPL to figure out the best EXACT placement. So far, i have the sub on its side and have the driver about 6"-12" from the wall.

Last question: Did anyone change any of the PHASE settings on the sub? I have it on 0 like is recommended, the gain is at 12 o'clock, and the PEQ stuff is fully counter-clockwise. Thanks!

My preference is to use it for a while in the maximum output setting (no plugs). Get familiar with the sound of a few demos. After you've had it set this way for a month or two, then try different port settings. Play your reference demos. You will then know what you lose and what you gain using the different tunings.

You don't need the Y adapter, but if you have problems with the auto on feature, then try the Y.
post #208 of 271
Thanks, I put it back to the no-plug set-up. I finally ran Audyssey and just got a SPL meter to verify levels. I guess it is normal to have the needle jump around +/- about 3 spl. I also noticed that it seems that the sub started getting a little stronger after 30 minutes of use. I wonder if she would sound different after several more hours of listening....as some sort of break-in period. Which, BTW, I did not see as a suggestion for the sub.

Initial thoughts:
I upgraded from a 10" Velodyne DLS-3750. I did notice that the SVS sub can reproduce some of the lower frequencies like in that Robot Flip scene in Transformers 1, where the Velo could not touch. Honestly, overall, I was expecting a bit more from the PC-12+. Before ordering the PC12-Plus, I was suprisingly ALMOST satisfied with the 10" Velo. I think I had upgraditis, and the curiosity of what the famous SVS sub had to offer got the best of me.

I guess I really don't know WHAT I was expecting, but so far I feel like this was maybe a 20% improvement in bass over the Velodyne. I guess I was expecting about a 50% improvement with this 1k PC12-PLUS upgrade. I will give it a little more time. Now I wonder if I should have just found a matching Velodyne DLS-3750 and used them as a pair. YES, I know that would only help smooth out the room curve and still not allow frequencies below 20hz to be attained.
post #209 of 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepstang View Post

Thanks, I put it back to the no-plug set-up. I finally ran Audyssey and just got a SPL meter to verify levels. I guess it is normal to have the needle jump around +/- about 3 spl. I also noticed that it seems that the sub started getting a little stronger after 30 minutes of use. I wonder if she would sound different after several more hours of listening....as some sort of break-in period. Which, BTW, I did not see as a suggestion for the sub.

Initial thoughts:
I upgraded from a 10" Velodyne DLS-3750. I did notice that the SVS sub can reproduce some of the lower frequencies like in that Robot Flip scene in Transformers 1, where the Velo could not touch. Honestly, overall, I was expecting a bit more from the PC-12+. Before ordering the PC12-Plus, I was suprisingly ALMOST satisfied with the 10" Velo. I think I had upgraditis, and the curiosity of what the famous SVS sub had to offer got the best of me.

I guess I really don't know WHAT I was expecting, but so far I feel like this was maybe a 20% improvement in bass over the Velodyne. I guess I was expecting about a 50% improvement with this 1k PC12-PLUS upgrade. I will give it a little more time. Now I wonder if I should have just found a matching Velodyne DLS-3750 and used them as a pair. YES, I know that would only help smooth out the room curve and still not allow frequencies below 20hz to be attained.

I think you can drop the bottom down to 16hz with one plug and still integrate it well with your mains. I am using mine with one port plugged. Check out the response graphs SVS supplies for the exact difference. I would try this "if" you want it to produce lower than where it is now.

John
post #210 of 271
give it a couple of days then remeasure and recalibrate if needed.
you will need to play around a bit to get the best sound in your room
good luck
oh, and remember the sub should not call attention to itself, it should just produce when needed and shut up, not everything is supposed to be spectacular
and
you may have had your velo set up very nice.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › The New SVS PC12-Plus