or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › The Official Magnepan Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Magnepan Owners Thread - Page 96

post #2851 of 3520
Quote:
Originally Posted by djhamp View PostI have been on the fence as to buying some 1.7's and probably MC1's for surround. Pretty sure that's the way I am going but afraid to pull the trigger. I live in Minneapolis and the Magnepan factory is closer to me that then local dealer. I would love if I could pick them right from the factory for a little less but when I asked - they said no.

See what I mean! I know they are loosing business so too bad for them!

post #2852 of 3520
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

Interesting! It's simple the prices at the dealer are to high smile.gif Since they mark up every thing from 40 too 70 points!

I think the margins on Mags are very low so it is difficult, if not impossible, to find a dealer to discount them.
post #2853 of 3520
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlittlejeans View PostI think the margins on Mags are very low so it is difficult, if not impossible, to find a dealer to discount them.

To be honest I think the margins for the dealers are 40 points!

post #2854 of 3520
Thread Starter 
On Magnepans?
post #2855 of 3520
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlittlejeans View PostOn Magnepans?

Yes sir :)

post #2856 of 3520
Quote:
Originally Posted by peechus View Post

Did the panels help. I have about 4 ft behind my 3.7's and am seriously ready for treatment. Care to share how and what you used?

Yes, they helped. I had a bit too much high end edge but not enough for a resistor. The panels are behind the mmc2 speakers that are part of the tri-center. They are also behind the CCR. They are about 1/2" and the size of the mmc2s. They are a rigid fiberglass but I don't know the mfg. I got them thru Magnepan and the dealer.

Gordon
post #2857 of 3520
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

See what I mean! I know they are loosing business so too bad for them!

I don't work for a dealer or Magnepan but I feel the need to comment. Unless the dealer is truly useless then I suggest that ya'll do some math. 1.7s sell for what, $2k? Even if the dealer is making 40 points that's $800. From that they have to pay for store overhead, demo gear, staff demo time, and sales commissions. Yup, good reps should earn the commission. They should also offer some discount even if it is only a token amount. If you get any additional service, set up help, these folks are earning what they make.

I may not work in the industry but yes, I am in sales. Sales people who listen to their prospective customers, help in decision making, and proved follow up service earn what they make. If the dealer in your area can't or won't provide a hight level of service then I recommend the advice from one of the other posters. Call Wendell.

Sorry for the rant but there are far too many "sales people and dealers are crooks" comments in forum posts (although, to be honest, not in this thread) and I'm sure there are folks who shouldn't be in the business - but I suspect they are few and far between. Magnepan seems to monitor its dealers fairly closely to avoid those brad situations.

Rant off. I really love my system. Magnepan has been very helpful. And the service from my local dealer has been first rate.

Gordon
post #2858 of 3520
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaverlake View PostI don't work for a dealer or Magnepan but I feel the need to comment. Unless the dealer is truly useless then I suggest that ya'll do some math. 1.7s sell for what, $2k? Even if the dealer is making 40 points that's $800. From that they have to pay for store overhead, demo gear, staff demo time, and sales commissions. Yup, good reps should earn the commission. They should also offer some discount even if it is only a token amount. If you get any additional service, set up help, these folks are earning what they make.

I may not work in the industry but yes, I am in sales. Sales people who listen to their prospective customers, help in decision making, and proved follow up service earn what they make. If the dealer in your area can't or won't provide a hight level of service then I recommend the advice from one of the other posters. Call Wendell.

Sorry for the rant but there are far too many "sales people and dealers are crooks" comments in forum posts (although, to be honest, not in this thread) and I'm sure there are folks who shouldn't be in the business - but I suspect they are few and far between. Magnepan seems to monitor its dealers fairly closely to avoid those brad situations.

Rant off. I really love my system. Magnepan has been very helpful. And the service from my local dealer has been first rate.

Gordon

I am happy for you that dealer charges extra to set them up and for delivery!  I don't need any of this. I don't need a sales rep to tell me what to buy either, thanks

post #2859 of 3520
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

I am happy for you that dealer charges extra to set them up and for delivery!  I don't need any of this. I don't need a sales rep to tell me what to buy either, thanks

but you do need someplace to go listen to them wink.gif and if you don't because of where you live, how about the rest of us in the US?

I strongly but respectfully disagree with your assessment of buying Magnepans from a dealer. they are the ones who have to inventory them, display them & set them up with respectable amps, preamps, room setups. if the day comes when there are NO dealers to demo speakers and all that's left is blue shirts at BB-Mag's, then where do you propose to go listen to them rolleyes.gif

I accepted your arguments & complaints on Emotiva based on what you experienced in posts & a PM to me.

but in a discussion on eliminating dealers from making a profit on speakers, IMO, you are way off base.

and before you answer about you being able to buy $300 MMG's on a 30 day trial...no offense, that's P-nuts compared to the risk in shipping damage potentially back & forth and a risk to Magnepan for tying up their cash shipping $5000 3.6's & $14000 20.7's around the country to every swinging dik that wants to just try them out & possibly return them. Magnepan not only loses the sale on an expensive item, they end up with a used one at that, that cannot be resold as new. So they lose money on both ends. plus are you willing to take those boxes to UPS and pay what it would cost to return them, and insure them?

you are not being realistic. and I have no connection to Magnepan or a dealer. once you've spent what many of us have on the big-boy Maggies and being able to base your buying decision on being able to audibly compare the different models on a variety of source material, in vastly different price ranges...then maybe you'll get off the ID dogma & appreciate what a dealer has to do to win your business.

if your dealer is a jerk, then call Wendell Diller at Magnepan and tell him why you don't want to buy from that dealer.

My guess is Wendell will try to find a way to make it work for you. He is a nice gentleman to talk to & will offer advice to suit your needs. What more can you ask from the marketing manager for a small company? I've left messages and had him call back within 30 minutes, spend about 30-40 minutes with me on the phone on my situation, knowing full well I would be dealing with his dealer in Atlanta to actually listen & buy. as to your comment about not needing a rep's advice, what can one say to shortsightedness & jumping to conclusions. that rep, or marketing manager, may just give you some good advice. advice is not always up-selling tongue.gif

based on your own hassles with product quality and dealing with a big name internet direct company, logically, I would think you'd be much more supportive of dealers & the ability to audition the speaker. and much less inclined to begrudge them making money for their time & cost to inventory gear.

to each his own rolleyes.gif
Edited by ss9001 - 7/23/13 at 3:06pm
post #2860 of 3520
Bravo to good dealers. Those of us lucky to live anywhere near one or more good dealers really are blessed. They provide an invaluable service. My dealer lent me a paid of DWMs for a week free of charge. He also runs forums and seminars. He earned my business and deserves a markup on every product he sells.

On the other hand, I buy some things Internet direct (a DAC and an Emotiva amp)

What I will not do is sample products at a store and then buy direct. It isn't exactly stealing, but it just feels wrong.
post #2861 of 3520
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Postbut you do need someplace to go listen to them wink.gifand if you don't because of where you live, how about the rest of us in the US?

......if your dealer is a jerk, then call Wendell Diller at Magnepan and tell him why you don't want to buy from that dealer.

My guess is Wendell will try to find a way to make it work for you. He is a nice gentleman to talk to & will offer advice to suit your needs. What more can you ask from the marketing manager for a small company? I've left messages and had him call back within 30 minutes, spend about 30-40 minutes with me on the phone on my situation, knowing full well I would be dealing with his dealer in Atlanta to actually listen & buy. as to your comment about not needing a rep's advice, what can one say to shortsightedness & jumping to conclusions. that rep, or marketing manager, may just give you some good advice. advice is not always up-selling tongue.gif

based on your own hassles with product quality and dealing with a big name internet direct company, logically, I would think you'd be much more supportive of dealers & the ability to audition the speaker. and much less inclined to begrudge them making money for their time & cost to inventory gear.

to each his own rolleyes.gif

Agreed, I will call him!

post #2862 of 3520
+1 Steve and Cardiff... on dealer vs ID. I, too, purchase many AV items ID.

WSE - good decision, Wendell is really responsive unless he is not available due to travel (at least in my experience).

gordon
post #2863 of 3520
Just became a new owner of some 1.6QR's, a truly amazing speaker. I never really knew what I was missing until I heard these and thought I had some nice speakers before.
post #2864 of 3520
^^
congrats! smile.gif

I updated my original old MG-I's to 1.6's back in '03. excellent speaker.

be careful, their goodness will lure you to upgrade to 3.6's/3.7's wink.gif that's what happened to me 2 yrs of 1.6 ownership wink.gif

the 1.6's truly are a great value in speakers. I confess I haven't heard 1.7's but I have heard 3.7's but not in the same room as 3.6's so can't give an honest comparison of the .6 >.7 changes.

I know you're going to enjoy your sound! cool.gif if you want a decent center to match, you might try to find a CC3. it's not as bass limited as the newer CC5/CCR.
post #2865 of 3520
Thread Starter 
I bought a pair of 3.6's and had them sent to Magnepan to be rebuilt. When they come, I'm going to have a hard listen and then decide whether I think the 3.7's should be replaced. I always thought my old 3.6's were a bit smoother than the 3.7's.
Edited by mrlittlejeans - 7/26/13 at 7:35am
post #2866 of 3520
Hi All,

I been looking at the Magnepans for some number of years and while they 3.7's are out of my budget I just found out the offer a set of MMG's and MMGC for a decent price well within my budget..

I am curious to hear what other Magnepan owners think of the MMG's + MMGC for my Mains and center.. I am also being told I need to buy for the center channel the other matching woofer that goes with the Center channel now is this true can I just buy the 3 speakers and that will work OK..

I plan on buying a new Reciever too still have not decided but looking at Onkyo.. Any reccomendations on a receiver for these Magnepans.. I would like to get one with the Analog Outs for my Denon DVD-A/SACD Player which uses the analog ins for Multichannel play.. Onky makes such a newer receiver and can be had for a good price.. looking to spend about 1000 on the Fronts and center and about 800 for the receiver..

OH my Room is dedicated and has a drop ceiling at about 7 feet room dimension is 19' x 12'
post #2867 of 3520
throughout my career in several industries, I have always found it annoying that consumers are always demanding that I cut my wages while providing top notch service to them and they are never willing to cut their wages. when I think of the ******y consumers engage in and their out of this world expectations well you already know...

the price for a new pair of magnepans is fair. if you disagree buy used.

rant over.
post #2868 of 3520
Quote:
Originally Posted by drecar View Post

throughout my career in several industries, I have always found it annoying that consumers are always demanding that I cut my wages while providing top notch service to them and they are never willing to cut their wages. when I think of the ******y consumers engage in and their out of this world expectations well you already know...the price for a new pair of magnepans is fair. if you disagree buy used. rant over.

I have bought many gears from dealers and I have no problem when they offer a true service, some are just pushing boxes and offer no value in return. That's all!

Back to Magnepan what are the difference between the Super MMG And regular MMG beside the bass unit?
post #2869 of 3520
wse seems to have had a string of bad luck with dealers etc. judging from his/her posts.

Random thoughts: I have no idea what Magnepan's mark-up is. I did manage to get a little percentage off when I last purchased Maggies, but IIRC the mark-up is less than usual. I used to know when I worked for a Maggie dealer but that was decades ago. It was tough qualifying to be a dealer back then and I suspect it still is... They did personal inspections and interviews to verify the store and key staff were up to their standards. Note many companies will not sell direct from the factory; they are not set up for retail sales and do not have the resources for it. I think it is very cool that you can actually tour the factory; much harder with the usual company. Normal retail markup is 40%, or was, before the Internet of Things. You also have to remember the price of stocking and overhead for speakers that do not move as fast as small-ticket items. Trying to keep a retail store open with mortgage, utilities, taxes, personnel, etc. is not cheap. Especially after spending time with consumers only to have them buy it online cheaper. I always try to feed my local dealers to keep them in business vs. losing all chance for a local listen. My dealer has been very helpful, as has Magnepan whenever I have called.

What is the "Super MMG"? I have not heard about that one...
post #2870 of 3520
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post

wse seems to have had a string of bad luck with dealers etc. judging from his/her posts.Random thoughts: I have no idea what Magnepan's mark-up is. I did manage to get a little percentage off when I last purchased Maggies, but IIRC the mark-up is less than usual. I used to know when I worked for a Maggie dealer but that was decades ago. It was tough qualifying to be a dealer back then and I suspect it still is... They did personal inspections and interviews to verify the store and key staff were up to their standards. Note many companies will not sell direct from the factory; they are not set up for retail sales and do not have the resources for it. I think it is very cool that you can actually tour the factory; much harder with the usual company. Normal retail markup is 40%, or was, before the Internet of Things. You also have to remember the price of stocking and overhead for speakers that do not move as fast as small-ticket items. Trying to keep a retail store open with mortgage, utilities, taxes, personnel, etc. is not cheap. Especially after spending time with consumers only to have them buy it online cheaper. I always try to feed my local dealers to keep them in business vs. losing all chance for a local listen. My dealer has been very helpful, as has Magnepan whenever I have called.

What is the "Super MMG"? I have not heard about that one...

I have a great dealer he just doesn't carry Magnepan! The dealer that carries Magnepan I will never buy from! Also I agree with your comments a retail store is very tough for all the reasons you listed plus having to manage employees, demanding customers like myself, being open six days a week!

Never the less, dealers that are customer auriented and not snobs, make a good living, cable carry over 100 points, speakers ranges from 40 to 70 points, high end AV between 40 to 50 points so they still make money. Also if they are smart and are trained in ISF, HAA, THX then they can charge for calibration and installation. I know some dealers also charge a yearly contract for phone support, just like Apple!

http://www.theaudiobeat.com/newport2013/newport2013_magnepan.htm
post #2871 of 3520
you suggested the price wasn't fair was my understanding. why care if the dealer that carries magnepan are snobs? if the profit is $800 in 1.7s then for most buyers they are making only $80/year. most people are keeping major components of their system 10+ years. so buy them or don't but to affect the dealers relationship with a vendor seems offside to me.
post #2872 of 3520
Quote:
Originally Posted by drecar View Post

you suggested the price wasn't fair was my understanding. why care if the dealer that carries magnepan are snobs? if the profit is $800 in 1.7s then for most buyers they are making only $80/year. most people are keeping major components of their system 10+ years. so buy them or don't but to affect the dealers relationship with a vendor seems offside to me.

I spend my money with people I like, why would I buy some thing from someone I don't like?
post #2873 of 3520
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

I spend my money with people I like, why would I buy some thing from someone I don't like?

and that is perfectly fair. I too don't like to buy from stores I don't like or think are useless, like Best Buy.

however, when the company only has 1 dealer per major metro area/city or 1 in a state, you have a choice to make, don't you? like the speaker, suck it down or buy another speaker.

In Georgia, there are 3 in the state. one is 6 hrs away from Atlanta being in Savannah, one is about 2 hrs away in Macon and one is in Atlanta, about an hr's drive for me.

Since the early 80's when I bought my 1st Maggies, I have dealt with 3 dealers. One in Ohio, Carlin Audio, one is Atlanta who went out of business, Sound & Cinema, and the current one in Atlanta, Audio Alternative. All of them were professional, knew their stuff and customer oriented. But of the 3, Audio Alternative is definitely the best. Very customer focused owner, knowledgable and a gentleman to deal with. He also doesn't give discounts. Imagine that wink.gif Sound & Cinema gave 10% on purchases, but his business model gradually kept deteriorating until he was selling off demo gear to keep it going. A real shame but to his credit, he did persuade the owner of Audio Alternative to call Magnepan & work to pick up the line.

Unlike you, I guess I've been lucky in that I didn't mind buying from these dealers. I wouldn't want to drive to Savannah to demo them & I dislike the Macon area with a passion! Nothing to do with the dealer, I just don't like Macon (my company has offices there and it's a deteriorating city with not much opportunities for growth. reminds me of parts of Cleveland in the 70's tongue.gif)

I suggested that you call Wendell to discuss options & alternatives.

a potential option like this

http://www.audiolab.com/Magnepan_Store_s/11998.htm

(this quote from their website:
"Magnepan Speakers can not be shipped into another dealers territory. If you have a local dealer you should support them; they are probably good people that have a passion for great sound. If you have no local dealer we will be glad to assist you.")

or this

some dealer may agree to sell to someone out of state, providing they pickup the gear in their store. Technically, no one knows where you're driving from wink.gif

get creative wink.gif
Edited by ss9001 - 7/28/13 at 8:00am
post #2874 of 3520
My first post, to thank you for the great source of info on maggies, and to seek advice on setting up a new dedicated room for them.

Although I have dabbled in DIY and fairly ordinary AV stuff for 40 years, I bought my first serious quality gear last year. Part of it has been running in a fairly unsuitable general living area while I have been excavating and building under my house, including a dedicated AV room. The well-soundproofed room is now sheeted in (two layers of fire-rated plasterboard) and ready for painting and finishing, but I'd really appreciate maggie-specific advice on placement and treatment. My current equipment includes:

Magnepan 3.7s L&R
Magnepan CC5 centre
Quad 11L Classic surround backs
Mirage Omni 150 surround sides
Sony 10" sub''

Sanders Magtech stereo power amp driving 3.7s
Channel Islands Audio D200 MkII monoblock amp driving CC5
Pioneer SC-LX83 receiver driving surrounds

Sanders pre-amp
Lampizator L4 Gen3 DAC
Oppo BDP-95
Beyonwiz DP-P2 PVR
PC managing FLAC audio collection with digital connection to DAC

Burson Audio HA-160D headphone amp
Sennheiser HD-650 headphones

Fujitsu P50XHA58E 50"plasma panel

Here is a diagram of the room with my first thoughts about placement and listening positions, keen to discuss these:

AV room layout 27 July.jpg 179k .jpg file Apologies for the metric dimensions - convert to 24'x 14'x 8'7".

I am inclined to install bass traps to all four corners and to put mid-hi absorption panels on front and rear walls, and possibly also at main reflection points on side walls, and maybe also somewhere on the faces of the 3 boxed beams towards the main speakers.

And I am concerned that putting the plasma panel between the L&R maggies (as shown, above the CC5) might interfere with the sound stage?

Please let me have the benefit of your vast collective experience!

Regards,

MJK
post #2875 of 3520
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

Back to Magnepan what are the difference between the Super MMG And regular MMG beside the bass unit?

From the Magnepan site (MMG page):
Quote:
No, the Super MMG is not an MMG with a Bass Panel. The Super MMG is a higher-performance version of the standard MMG with the addition of one or two Bass Panels. The Bass Panel is analogous to going from a 12-inch to a 15-inch woofer. But, don't think of it as a subwoofer. Yes, it provides deeper bass in a larger room than a MMG because the total bass radiating area gets a better "bite" on the air. It is a similar principle as the MMG bass section---just more of it.

Reviews indicate the crossover is tweaked, not sure what else.
post #2876 of 3520
@MJK: Quick thoughts, take with grain of salt...

1. I would probably move the speakers and listening position closer to the front wall. I assume dimensions in mm, if so the speakers are about 1800 mm = 180 cm = 71" (about 6'). That puts the listening position roughly in the middle of the room, which will be right in a bass null. Moving to the 1500 mm spot will help a little. Ultimately you'll need to measure and decide where is best.

2. I have usually found the best listening position is close to an equilateral triangle, with the listening spot as far from each speaker as they are from each other. X looks good; why would the movie position be further away? The rule of thumb I have read is that for movies you should be from 1.5x to 2.5x the screen diagonal so you have to find the best compromise.

3. I would move the surrounds a little forward, especially if you move Y forward to match X if possible. As it is, they seem pretty close to the rears.

4. Planer speakers like Magnepans radiate little to the sides and top/bottom. I would use corner traps to control room modes; you may find you do not need much on the sides and ceiling. You may try some on the wall behind the speakers, towards the corners, to help damp the back wave. That improves imaging and widens the sweet spot at the cost of some "spaciousness" in the sound. A worthwhile trade IMO, especially for movies.

5. Again since there is little radiation from the sides, a screen directly between the speakers should not impact the sound much. You may want to experiment with subwoofer placement and/or consider a pair of subs. I do not know how good your Sony is; I have a pair of Rythmik subs that work great with my Maggies.

6. A heavy solid-core exterior door with weather sealing and threshold will reduce sound transmission to the rest of the house. You might also consider going up a size or two in width to make it easier to haul stuff in and out.

7. If you are making the room run a couple of 20 A lines in the front for electronics, a second standard run for other outlets, and consider making some of the outlets switched (e.g. top of the duplex to a switch near the door) for floor lamps or extra illumination (e.g. a small piano light on top of a CD/DVD/BD storage unit can be nice).

HTH - Don
post #2877 of 3520
Thanks Don!

I will certainly be able to experiment with the speaker placement and the listening/viewing positions, as the gear and seating won't be fixed in place. I must admit I was concerned about that X position being so close to the centre of the room, but I wanted to keep the 3.7s well away from the front wall. Would it be just as appropriate to move them (and the CC5 and plasma panel) out rather than closer to that wall - and finish with the seating positions a bit closer to the back wall? Motivation would be to maximise the distance to front wall, for which I thought that infinite distance was the ultimate best?

For the corner bass traps, I was thinking of having them constructed from Basotect open cell foam http://www.basf.com/group/corporate/en/brand/BASOTECT
To avoid going overboard, what would you say to making each one about 600mm wide and 1800 high (same as the 3.7s, and also covered in the same black coloured grillcloth)? Say 150mm thick?

And would it be reasonable to start with a panel say 600w x 1800h x 50mm on either side of the front wall, more or less abutting the inner edge of the bass traps?

Would you think it likely that some absorbing panels (or diffusing?) on the back wall would also be advantageous?

My thinking with the different stereo vs movie seating positions was to have the stereo position at the apex of the equilateral triangle to maximise soundstage, without having to move both seats from the movie positions. I had thought that the sweet spot was unlikely to be wide enough to take in both movie seating positions. I guess you picked up that I tend to watch movies with my wife, but to listen to stereo alone.

Rgds,

MJK
post #2878 of 3520
After much research and time I finally made the plunge on Saturday. I have purchased a pair of 1.7's, 2 MC1's and the CC5. I have set up everything except the CC5 was not in stock and I have to wait a couple of days for that.
In the mean time I was reading the install guide for the CC5 which is a little confusing. I have a Denon 3311 that I am using as the front end to a Emotiva XPA-5 amp. Has anyone gone through the audyssey setup with a CC5 that can dumb it down for me?

Thanks
Doug
post #2879 of 3520
^ Begin by just hooking up the CC5 like you would any center speaker and seeing how it works. Denon center output -> XPA-5 channel --> CC5. Then let Audyssey do its thing.
post #2880 of 3520
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJK55 View Post

Thanks Don!

I will certainly be able to experiment with the speaker placement and the listening/viewing positions, as the gear and seating won't be fixed in place. I must admit I was concerned about that X position being so close to the centre of the room, but I wanted to keep the 3.7s well away from the front wall. Would it be just as appropriate to move them (and the CC5 and plasma panel) out rather than closer to that wall - and finish with the seating positions a bit closer to the back wall? Motivation would be to maximise the distance to front wall, for which I thought that infinite distance was the ultimate best?

For the corner bass traps, I was thinking of having them constructed from Basotect open cell foam http://www.basf.com/group/corporate/en/brand/BASOTECT
To avoid going overboard, what would you say to making each one about 600mm wide and 1800 high (same as the 3.7s, and also covered in the same black coloured grillcloth)? Say 150mm thick?

And would it be reasonable to start with a panel say 600w x 1800h x 50mm on either side of the front wall, more or less abutting the inner edge of the bass traps?

Would you think it likely that some absorbing panels (or diffusing?) on the back wall would also be advantageous?

My thinking with the different stereo vs movie seating positions was to have the stereo position at the apex of the equilateral triangle to maximise soundstage, without having to move both seats from the movie positions. I had thought that the sweet spot was unlikely to be wide enough to take in both movie seating positions. I guess you picked up that I tend to watch movies with my wife, but to listen to stereo alone.

Rgds,

MJK

1. I would prefer to keep away from the back wall as the reflections from behind can corrupt the sound. It is usually easier and bettre aesthetically to damp the front wall, plus (personal preference) I like using the back wall for media storage shelves.

2. Infinite distance to the front wall is to minimize (eliminate, if really infinite) the back wave from the panels. Treatment (absorbers or diffusors) will work as well and allow closer placement (speakers to wall). I think Magnepan recommends something like 3' (about 1000 mm) but realistically you will always have some cancellation, the idea is to move them high enough that they are less noticeable. I prefer to just kill the back wave.

3. No opinion on that particular foam since I have not used it. Looks pretty good, and 150 mm should be plenty. Space it off the wall about 50 - 100 mm to improve absorption, especially in the lower range.

4. Sound spreads so I would use panels larger than the speakers, but it really depends upon how far away and the orientation of the speakers. At HF the panels act like more of a line source and do not spread much (good for reducing power loss and reducing first reflections).

5. I treated my back wall heavily but mainly because it is a small room and dimensions are relatively horrible for LF modes. Makes for a very dead room (since I have recording studio experience I do not mind, and all ambience is from the recording and not the room). Assuming you move the seating forward, I would try without at first, then add if needed.

6. Personal preference, but to me having separate seating positions would be a pain. I think you will find with a little room treatment and some tweaking of speaker placement and toe-in the sound will be excellent for one and almost as good for two. I am personally less critical of the sound during movies, again maybe just me. With a decent amount of treatment I have found the image and sweet spot widens considerably, and that has held up over the years (decades) I have been playing with Maggies and other panels (and other speakers). Knocking down the reflections reduces the comb filter effects that cause so much trouble. Dialing in panels in an untreated room drives me nuts (it's a short drive).

HTH, IMO, FWIWFM, etc. - Don
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › The Official Magnepan Owners Thread