or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › *Official* Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H Thread (NVIDIA 9400 mATX HDMI 8 channel LPCM)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

*Official* Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H Thread (NVIDIA 9400 mATX HDMI 8 channel LPCM) - Page 74

post #2191 of 2837
Does anyone use a Solid state drive as the boot disk wit this Mobo? I read a review on newegg that said this motherboard would not work with solid state hard drives?
post #2192 of 2837
Quote:
Originally Posted by sead0nkey View Post

Does anyone use a Solid state drive as the boot disk wit this Mobo? I read a review on newegg that said this motherboard would not work with solid state hard drives?

I've been using this G-Skill for a few months now. I only use this system for DVD,HD DVD and Blu-ray playback so I don't have a lot of programs on it. It's silent so it does what I want.
post #2193 of 2837
Would really appreciate your input on this. Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by realbrandon View Post

Now that I have got the HDMI audio working, I am moving on to get my HTPC setup as a karaoke machine.

My first question: when microphone is plugged into the "Mic In" port, can I get the mixed sound out through HDMI audio?

Second question is about media players. I tested some karaoke software and they are all pretty bad. The player is way too basic, and only gives me 2 channel sound.

I would very much like to use advanced players (such as PowerDVD) to play karaoke video files, but don't know how to disable the singer's voice, etc.

I am wondering whether any of the advanced players has functions that are suitable for karaoke. And, whether any of them has APIs that allow other application to interact with it.

Thanks in advance.

Brandon
post #2194 of 2837
Not really the place to discuss karaoke. If you do a search you'll find threads talking about it.
post #2195 of 2837
Quote:
Originally Posted by sead0nkey View Post

Does anyone use a Solid state drive as the boot disk wit this Mobo? I read a review on newegg that said this motherboard would not work with solid state hard drives?

Im using the OZC Summit with no problem. VERY fast, 200+ MBs Read and write

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820227450
post #2196 of 2837
Can anyone tell me if this is a TV issue or the nvidia graphics? Of course, advice to correct either is appreciated!

After waking from hibernation in XP, my screen display appears to stay at 1920x1080, but my tv only detects 1024x768, so I get rather large black border on my screen. Obviously, I can't see the entire screen at once, but I can scroll left/right/up/down to get to any part of it. To fix it I simply right click on the desktop, select properties, go to settings and move the resolution to anything else. I then don't accept the new resolution and it goes back to 1920x1080 and now my TV detects it appropriately.

Not sure if this info is needed, but I'll include it for good thoroughness ...

- Running Win XP SP3 fully updated.
- 190.38 nvidia driver
- PC to Onkyo 605 to Sharp LC-52D64U TV all via HDMI
- I have my TV set to translate the resolution "dot for dot" so there isn't any scaling.
post #2197 of 2837
Quote:
Originally Posted by lippy2day View Post

WEI Score
Note: I didn't wait for problems, so as part of my build, I replaced the OEM heatsink with the Enzotech CNB-R1 and the Arctic Cooling MX-2 Thermal Compound and without any additional fan. I've got the fanI'm waiting to see how it performs more before I decide to add it.

Regards,
Lippy2Day

BTW, how do you get the stock GPU heatsink off? The two screws don't seem to want to turn - just turn harder?
post #2198 of 2837
I believe my first question about the mic and HDMI audio is relevant to this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJWikiera View Post

Not really the place to discuss karaoke. If you do a search you'll find threads talking about it.
post #2199 of 2837
Is there an advantage to using a discrete card over IGP?

I have an unopened 4830, but am getting concerned about idle power consumption. The most demanding application will be BD playback. Any advantages?
post #2200 of 2837
BD playback is the easiest among all video playback tasks.
post #2201 of 2837
Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post

BD playback is the easiest among all video playback tasks.

OK, good point. MKVs, BD and DVD playback. No gaming, etc.

I am thinking a IGP might be more efficient. Although if there are any video or audio benefits I will keep the 4830.
post #2202 of 2837
HD 4830 consumes +40W at idle. There is no substantial benefit by going with it. (If it were HD 4670, then I would recommend it over IGP.)
post #2203 of 2837
Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post

HD 4830 consumes +40W at idle. There is no substantial benefit by going with it. (If it were HD 4670, then I would recommend it over IGP.)

Fair enough. I originally bought it (it was on sale) since I wanted an ATX board and there are no 9400 options. I found out that my case can use mATX boards. Therefore I will go with this Gigabyte board. I also started doing some math on electricity costs (Almost $1 per Watt per Year, ouch).

Thanks for your advice.
post #2204 of 2837
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorweb View Post

anyone know if you can put a scythe ninja mini and a thermalright HR-05/IFX next to each other to cool the CPU and the northbridge? Will it fit? Are they close enough that a single fan will pull air through both of them?

Its a bit cramped to install them next to each other, those thumbscrews on the HR05 can be a pain. I used some needlenodse pliers to get under there and tighten after I threaded them by hand. Don't overtighten the tension clip, you might pull the screwheads through the washers on the underside of the board. Install the Ninja mini after, its push pins need a good push but they are far less fussy than the HR05's thumbscrews.

I just used the Ninja mini's fan on the HR05 and it does pull air from the general area, there is no negative pressure from behind the Ninja mini but a (louder)faster RPM fan might suck all the way through. E8400 at stock idles at ~38C and the IGP idles at ~50C, but ambient temp is pretty warm here these days. Neither of these sinks are hot to the touch, unlike Gigabyte's sink which literally burned to the touch. I saw a 90c IGP reading when the board first came in.

The Ninja Mini/HR05 pairing has been used a few times in this big thread, but heres a pic of mine:


There is about 2cm clearance between the two sinks, with a standard 25mm thick fan it definitely cramps the PCIe.
post #2205 of 2837
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsanga View Post

BTW, how do you get the stock GPU heatsink off? The two screws don't seem to want to turn - just turn harder?

I remember the first attempt; I thought that I was going to round out the head. I found a different screw driver and had to hold pressure downward to make sure the screwdriver wouldn't slip out.

The more scary point was the releasing of the heatsink to the chipI thought I was going to break the chip off the motherboard. It came offI guess its thermal glue versus paste.

Another user posted pictures earlier in the thread with his comments:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post16708614
post #2206 of 2837
Quote:
Originally Posted by lippy2day View Post

The more scary point was the releasing of the heatsink to the chipI thought I was going to break the chip off the motherboard. It came offI guess its thermal glue versus paste.

Ha, I already discovered this the hard (maybe easy?) way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsanga View Post

One time I picked up the mobo by the chipset heatsink and it just kinda popped loose, like adhesive popping off. I let go and the spring loaded screws holding it down just pulled it back down to the board.

Thanks for the heads-up and tips. Mine's running steady so far at 62C, but I worry about the thermal interface (especially after looking at those pics from the other thread) after mine already lifted. Chances are the "tear" in the Thermal Interface Material (TIM) didn't line up again when it popped back on.
post #2207 of 2837
I just bought this board. Installed like so:

Antec Minuet 350
Intel E6300 Pentium dual core 2.8gHz 45nm proc (not to be confused with the old E6300 Core Duo)
And then some drives...

The Minuet has a lot of holes for venting, but few places to install fans. Only an 80mm exhaust fan near the HDD, no other stock locations. I don't know if the stock heatsink was installed poorly or if poor airflow was the problem, but I was idling at high 70s on the chipset, and cruising well into the 90s while playing a DVD in WMP with all enhancements enabled (HQ mode, DirectX, what-have-you). Pretty unimpressive.

Unfortunately, the Minuet is too short for the Thermaltake HR05. I really didn't want a 40mm fan-based solution, and I wasn't sure the typical NB heatsink replacement (Zalman ZM-NBF47, Enzotech copper doohickeys) would do enough.

So I installed a Noctua NC-U6. In many ways very similar to the HR05, it is about 20mm (IIRC) shorter and fits in the Minuet. Without any real effort at doing a good install, I'm down to idling around 40 degrees (Celsius) and not going past 55 while watching DVDs. There aren't any fans near the block (other than the stock Intel CPU cooler) and I even have stuff sitting directly on top of the case, blocking the NB and CPU super-positioned venting in the case.

Unfortunately, the Noctua NCU6 has been discontinued. They're still available here and there, though.

I had a hell of a time finding something like a HR05 but short enough to fit in the case, so I felt I had to mention it. I should also mention that the mounting bracket seems a bit of a bodge, but I've never replaced a chipset cooler before. It seems as though they'd be a fair bit harder to design a sturdy bracket for than the standardized four-hole LGA755 mounting position I'm used to.

Also: that venting area over the CPU and NB on the Minuet can be an impromptu 92mm fan mounting position. I didn't have any other sizes around to try, so I can't vouch for them. You have to rotate the fan a bit until you find a place where all the holes line up. It may have been less-than ideal placement, but putting a fan there did almost nothing for NB temperatures, even though I'm sure it was blowing air right across the stock heatsink. Using screws here will make your case slightly less pretty, too.
post #2208 of 2837
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptBeaky View Post

I just bought this board. Installed like so:

Antec Minuet 350
Intel E6300 Pentium dual core 2.8gHz 45nm proc (not to be confused with the old E6300 Core Duo)
And then some drives...

The Minuet has a lot of holes for venting, but few places to install fans. Only an 80mm exhaust fan near the HDD, no other stock locations. I don't know if the stock heatsink was installed poorly or if poor airflow was the problem, but I was idling at high 70s on the chipset, and cruising well into the 90s while playing a DVD in WMP with all enhancements enabled (HQ mode, DirectX, what-have-you). Pretty unimpressive.

Unfortunately, the Minuet is too short for the Thermaltake HR05. I really didn't want a 40mm fan-based solution, and I wasn't sure the typical NB heatsink replacement (Zalman ZM-NBF47, Enzotech copper doohickeys) would do enough.

So I installed a Noctua NC-U6. In many ways very similar to the HR05, it is about 20mm (IIRC) shorter and fits in the Minuet. Without any real effort at doing a good install, I'm down to idling around 40 degrees (Celsius) and not going past 55 while watching DVDs. There aren't any fans near the block (other than the stock Intel CPU cooler) and I even have stuff sitting directly on top of the case, blocking the NB and CPU super-positioned venting in the case.

Unfortunately, the Noctua NCU6 has been discontinued. They're still available here and there, though.

I had a hell of a time finding something like a HR05 but short enough to fit in the case, so I felt I had to mention it. I should also mention that the mounting bracket seems a bit of a bodge, but I've never replaced a chipset cooler before. It seems as though they'd be a fair bit harder to design a sturdy bracket for than the standardized four-hole LGA755 mounting position I'm used to.

Also: that venting area over the CPU and NB on the Minuet can be an impromptu 92mm fan mounting position. I didn't have any other sizes around to try, so I can't vouch for them. You have to rotate the fan a bit until you find a place where all the holes line up. It may have been less-than ideal placement, but putting a fan there did almost nothing for NB temperatures, even though I'm sure it was blowing air right across the stock heatsink. Using screws here will make your case slightly less pretty, too.

I was also worried about the HR05's height. I went with one of those enzotech copper sinks, I figured it would be sufficient due to the copper aspect (gotta be better than the terrible one they put on there stock anyway). If it doesnt work i'll just kick myself and look for something else, maybe the one you got
post #2209 of 2837
I cant seem to get the picture adjustments (brightness/contrast) to work in the nvdia panel. any one seen this?
post #2210 of 2837
I just bought this board as the basis for my foray into the world of HTPC, and was surprised to discover that when using the DVI output, a DVI to HDMI adapter, and HDMI input on my TV, I got audio along with the video.

So that was an interesting surprise - I had always thought DVI was for video only.

The reason why I tried the DVI output first was because from my old laptop (ATI graphics), it gives 1:1 output to my LCD TV - it just works. Unfortunately, with this board, the display gets overscanned (and no difference with the HDMI output either).

The funny thing is that with my laptop, the TV reports the resolution as "1920x1080p, 60hz". Whereas with this board, it reports as "1080p".

I'll have to play around with Nvidia's control panel some, I think.

For info, I'm using Windows 7 RTM, and a E6300 Conroe cpu.
post #2211 of 2837
Quote:
Originally Posted by bender2929 View Post

I just bought this board as the basis for my foray into the world of HTPC, and was surprised to discover that when using the DVI output, a DVI to HDMI adapter, and HDMI input on my TV, I got audio along with the video.

So that was an interesting surprise - I had always thought DVI was for video only.

The reason why I tried the DVI output first was because from my old laptop (ATI graphics), it gives 1:1 output to my LCD TV - it just works. Unfortunately, with this board, the display gets overscanned (and no difference with the HDMI output either).

The funny thing is that with my laptop, the TV reports the resolution as "1920x1080p, 60hz". Whereas with this board, it reports as "1080p".

I'll have to play around with Nvidia's control panel some, I think.

For info, I'm using Windows 7 RTM, and a E6300 Conroe cpu.

switch your TV to "Just scan", or "1:1 pixel" and the overscan should go away. This should work for HDMI as well.
post #2212 of 2837
Quote:
Originally Posted by bLKPANTHR View Post

I cant seem to get the picture adjustments (brightness/contrast) to work in the nvdia panel. any one seen this?

I've seen this. In my case it was because the nvidia display service wasn't running. I disabled it to fix other issues but when I rebooted I found none of the video controls worked.

Re-enabled the service, rebooted and they worked again.

If you haveh't manually disabled this service perhaps there's a problem which has stopped it from running?

Not sure why this service is needed for these controls to work. I'm fairly sure this wasn't the case with earlier drivers (could be wrong). In fact disabling the service used to be one potential fix for some EDID related problems in the past.

Wo0zy
post #2213 of 2837
figured it out: you have to use the "Desktop" tab, not the "video" tab....dumb...lol
post #2214 of 2837
Quote:
Originally Posted by bLKPANTHR View Post

figured it out: you have to use the "Desktop" tab, not the "video" tab....dumb...lol

Only if you're trying to adjust the desktop i.e. everything (which I guess you are ).

Sorry, you didn't specify and I just assumed.....

Wo0zy
post #2215 of 2837
Quote:
Originally Posted by bLKPANTHR View Post

switch your TV to "Just scan", or "1:1 pixel" and the overscan should go away. This should work for HDMI as well.

Unfortunately, my tv doesn't have this option.

I tried to get into the nvidia control panel, but it never launches. The windows event log shows that the control panel keeps crashing when it tries to start.

I've tried both the graphics install from the nForce drivers, as well as the latest geforce drivers themselves, but to no avail. I think enough of you are running on Windows 7 that this isn't an OS compatibility issue. Any ideas?
post #2216 of 2837
Is anyone out there running Win7 on this mobo with a RAID setup? If so, with what drivers & where did you get them? I'm on Vista with a mirror setup right now, and would like to try out Win7RC.
post #2217 of 2837
Driver page

Select:
nForce
nForce 7 series
nForce 730i/GeForce 9400/GeForce 9300
Driver
Windows 7 32 or 64 bit

You can take it from there....
post #2218 of 2837
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wo0zy View Post

Only if you're trying to adjust the desktop i.e. everything (which I guess you are ).

Sorry, you didn't specify and I just assumed.....

Wo0zy

you would think so but, 7MCs Media Foundation Codecs aparently use the desktop adjustments. the video settings have no effect.
post #2219 of 2837
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBiker View Post

Is anyone out there running Win7 on this mobo with a RAID setup? If so, with what drivers & where did you get them? I'm on Vista with a mirror setup right now, and would like to try out Win7RC.

yup, im using win7 RC, a 128gb Apex SSD primary drive (man this thing flies @225MBs reads), a 2tb internal raid1 array. works great.

I am also using an addition 2tb raid1 external box running on USB with no problems as well.
post #2220 of 2837
Quote:
Originally Posted by owan View Post

I was also worried about the HR05's height. I went with one of those enzotech copper sinks, I figured it would be sufficient due to the copper aspect (gotta be better than the terrible one they put on there stock anyway). If it doesnt work i'll just kick myself and look for something else, maybe the one you got

The Enzotechs look pretty good, and the price is great. Be sure to post once you get an idea of the temperatures you're getting once it is installed.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home Theater Computers
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › *Official* Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H Thread (NVIDIA 9400 mATX HDMI 8 channel LPCM)