or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP › Infocus X10/ IN80 Owners thread - Reviews, Settings, Screenshots and issues
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Infocus X10/ IN80 Owners thread - Reviews, Settings, Screenshots and issues - Page 21

post #601 of 983
ace5000:

What is the issue?
post #602 of 983
ricochet,

Does it happen on the edges against white background? Then it may be Chromatic Aberration.


Wikipedia Link
A worst example.


If that's what it is, then the lens replacement is the answer. You should send it back to InFocus for servicing.
post #603 of 983
I am getting more noise than accustomed to compared to the 4805. Also, banding and skin tone issues.

Again, anyone have experience with the ISF function in the menu?
post #604 of 983
Has anyone found any real world difference in offset compared to the calculated offset? For example, the Infocus projection calculator says that with my 96" screen and my ceiling mounted 4805 projector 14' back, there should be a 13.2" offset with the top of the screen 13.2" above the lens. However, in actual use, the top of my screen is 9" below the lens position - a difference of 22.2". And I'm not using any keystone, the image is perfectly rectangular, and the screen is not tilted. (Actually, I think the 4805 calculator on infocus's site may have the offset reversed.)

My question: Is the 18.7" offset calculated for the X10 with my screen size a valid calculation? Are you finding that the actual offset you are getting is the same as the calculated number? If it is off some, in what direction?

The two remaining barriers to me buying this are the offset and fan noise concerns. If those concern go away, it'll be time to box up the 4805 and move up to HD!
post #605 of 983
The direction of offset does not change if the projector is inverted. Projected from it's stand the image will be projected up 36% of the screen height from the lens centerline. Inverted for a ceiling mount, it is projected 36% of the screen height downward (again from the lens centerline).
post #606 of 983
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace5000 View Post

I am getting more noise than accustomed to compared to the 4805. Also, banding and skin tone issues.

Again, anyone have experience with the ISF function in the menu?

The ISF presets aren't going to help you - they just exist to allow an ISF calibrator to lock in settings (to keep you from accidently changing/erasing them). All the settings the calibrator would adjust are already user accessible. If you are looking for a service code backdoor that would allow additional adjustments, I don't believe one exists (well, at least I don't ever remember reading about any on any Infocus projector thru the years).

If you're unhappy with the SD image you're seeing, this was discussed a while back in the thread. If you search you'll find it. The solutions discussed wouldn't help banding or bad skin tones however. You may need to adjust your greyscale (RGB gains and offsets) to fix the latter.

Could your screen be the problem with the skin tones? That's the main problem with painted screens - depending on what mix of paints, you can wind up with anything but a neutral screen. If you used the same screen for your 4805 and it's only now bothering you, it's probably a difference in the greyscale calibration between the 2 PJs I would think.
post #607 of 983
Jeffkb -

Yes, I believe it the screen. It is a custom paint from that forum called "Silver Screen." It was perfect for the 4805 but not for this baby. I have plans to try the "Black Widow."
I still wish I had an ISF starting place for this however. Thanks.
post #608 of 983
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace5000 View Post

Jeffkb -

Yes, I believe it the screen. It is a custom paint from that forum called "Silver Screen." It was perfect for the 4805 but not for this baby. I have plans to try the "Black Widow."
I still wish I had an ISF starting place for this however. Thanks.

Hey Ace.
I just finished painting my 110" screen with Black Widow and it is absolutely spectacular. Just to get an idea for comparison sake, I shot my X10 on the plain unpainted and unprimed drywall sheet I am using for my screen for a couple days. Then I primed it with Kilz2 and shot it on that for a couple days. White's were better with with Kilz2 but the blacks suffered since plain drywall has a slight gray tinge that helps with blacks. Both had good colors. Now, with the Black Widow, white's are as good or better than the Kilz2 and Black's are even deeper than the plain drywall was. My wife even said it was amazing after I had finished the screen with BW. From what I've heard and seen from the spectrographs posted on different forums about silver screen and silverfire and MaxxMudd they have a tendency to "push" different colors. I HIGHLY recommend the Black Widow. The only adjustment I've made to my X10's settings were dropping the Iris to 36, and sharpness to softer. Contrast, brightness and colors are spot on IMHO. If you have any questions I would be more than happy to help or point you to some forum posts.
post #609 of 983
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace5000 View Post

Jeffkb -

Yes, I believe it the screen. It is a custom paint from that forum called "Silver Screen." It was perfect for the 4805 but not for this baby. I have plans to try the "Black Widow."
I still wish I had an ISF starting place for this however. Thanks.

You could consider the mix that I posted, or the one that croaker978 used. Both should be neutral. I'm very happy with the results on my 88" screen, and I believe croaker978 likes his mix at 106" too.
post #610 of 983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Ferry View Post

Has anyone found any real world difference in offset compared to the calculated offset? For example, the Infocus projection calculator says that with my 96" screen and my ceiling mounted 4805 projector 14' back, there should be a 13.2" offset with the top of the screen 13.2" above the lens. However, in actual use, the top of my screen is 9" below the lens position - a difference of 22.2". And I'm not using any keystone, the image is perfectly rectangular, and the screen is not tilted. (Actually, I think the 4805 calculator on infocus's site may have the offset reversed.)

My question: Is the 18.7" offset calculated for the X10 with my screen size a valid calculation? Are you finding that the actual offset you are getting is the same as the calculated number? If it is off some, in what direction?

The two remaining barriers to me buying this are the offset and fan noise concerns. If those concern go away, it'll be time to box up the 4805 and move up to HD!

First, I'd have to make some assumptions about your situation. Looking at the numbers quoted above, it appears to me as if you have your image zoomed away from the default that they use in the calculator. If this is the case, you have to adjust the zoom factor on the projector calculator in order to get accurate numbers. That slider is on the left side of the calculator.

Then, it does appear as if they are showing an error in the picture where it shows the projector lens actually inline with the projected image. I don't know if thats the correct direction of the offset. You're trying to use a negative 9 and +13.2 as your differing values and unless that projector is different than it's brothers and sisters, that's not the case. If it's +9 and +13.2, a difference of 4.2", that could easily be caused by adjustment of the zoom.

I can say that the numbers quoted for the X10 are very close to reality. Way within the 4" error I think you are seeing, and way way within the 20+" if that is truly the case.

It sounds as if you have to just pretend that picture of the projector inline with the screen really means the projector is above the screen. Then it would all work out. Yes?

Look at the X10 calculator, that one shows the image correctly, below the inverted projector. I realize the numbers are not the same.
post #611 of 983
Hi all.

I have BIG problems w/ jitter/judder/flickering/stuttering on movements when playing all formats: DVD, Bluray/TS, Xvid, Divx,..., regardless of refresh rate (23.976/24/50/60Hz).
The fenomen looks like when there is fast movement in the movie and the framerate is not enough to produce a smooth movemenmt. But I have this fenomen on SLOW movements to.

My setup is:
PJ = InFocus X10
Source = Popcorn Hour A-110
AVR = Denon AVR-2809
Cables = Supra 0.5m + 12m

Tried everything, 24p material at 24, 50 or 60Hz and so on w/ no luck. I have bypassed the AVR, used shorter cables, component from source to X10, component to AVR then let the AVR convert to HDMI, swaped the source for a new PCH, and so on. Nothing helps.
I did not have this problem w/ a PC as source, I'll try that again a.s.a.p.
Could it be my X10 that is broken?

Best regards L.
post #612 of 983
Have you tested whether your Popcorn Hour play those movies correctly when attached to a TV? If it plays correctly, then Popcorn Hour is not at fault.
post #613 of 983
I have no HDTV other than my X10 so can't test that
But I have just hooked up my PC to the AVR and I have the same problem there so I guess it's not the PCH, but I'll test to bypass the AVR and connect the X10 directly to the PC like I used to have it set up before I bought the PCH.
But my 5 cents are on a faulty X10

The X10 allso has problems from time to time syncing the signal, only half of the screen is ok (right side) the other side (left) is garbled and display strange colors for a few seconds when resyncing after a FPS change. I also have interference in solid colors, not noise, more like electrical interference.
post #614 of 983
DrLove, do you have any other source you can connect directly to the X10 such as a portable or standalone DVD player? Also, have you double checked the video settings in the Dennon as to what it can and cannot accept and pass through?
post #615 of 983
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssj2 View Post

DrLove, do you have any other source you can connect directly to the X10 such as a portable or standalone DVD player? Also, have you double checked the video settings in the Dennon as to what it can and cannot accept and pass through?

Afaik the AVR can pass through all formats I have tested, untouched. I have no "convert" setting activated on the AVR and therefore I don't get the OSD from the AVR either. I have bypassed the AVR w/ the PCH directly connected to the X10 w/ short HDMI cable to no avail.

I don't have another source other than the PCH and my PC w/ ATI 3870. The PC as source worked great before, over DVI-HDMI.
Now w/ the PC connected to the AVR over HDMI I get the same problems. I have not tested w/ the PC direct to the X10 again, as I had it before, but I will and get back w/ the results.

Last thing to test would be to borrow a stand alone DVD/BD and see what happens.

May be I should take my PCH to a store that sell the X10 and test it w/ one of their demo X10’s.
post #616 of 983
DrLove, is the PCH A-110 is a streaming only device? If so, this could be a network connection and/or bandwidth issue. It sounds somewhat similar to what I experienced on different display devices when streaming content on slower connections.
post #617 of 983
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssj2 View Post

DrLove, is the PCH A-110 is a streaming only device? If so, this could be a network connection and/or bandwidth issue. It sounds somewhat similar to what I experienced on different display devices when streaming content on slower connections.

It uses mainly LAN but I have tested w/ HDD connected directly to the PCH so I don't think it's a bandwidth problem.
The PC is not streaming so there is no way it's a bandwidth problem w/ the PC hooked up, but still same stuttering
Very strange behaviour..
post #618 of 983
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbgl View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace5000 View Post

Jeffkb -

Yes, I believe it the screen. It is a custom paint from that forum called "Silver Screen." It was perfect for the 4805 but not for this baby. I have plans to try the "Black Widow."
I still wish I had an ISF starting place for this however. Thanks.

Black widow should be sprayed. If you decide that you want to roll paint a screen, you could consider the mix that I posted, or the one that croaker978 used. Both should be neutral. I'm very happy with the results on my 88" screen, and I believe croaker978 likes his mix at 106" too.

Yes I am very happy with my screen, while watching Wall-E my wife said 'you are always right' now granted there was some wine involved an obviously there is no direction but down to go from there. But the image we get is amazing.

as a side note it looks like it ideveloped a hairline crack along the mudded joint in the sheetrock substrate but it isnt noticable while watching a movie on anything but very bright screens and even then you have to know exactly where to look. I will however be sanding, mudding and repainting eventually. kbgl what was your final paint mix? I might could get away with just a touch darker, but the difference in size may lend to a lighter mixture.
post #619 of 983
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLove View Post

It uses mainly LAN but I have tested w/ HDD connected directly to the PCH so I don't think it's a bandwidth problem.
The PC is not streaming so there is no way it's a bandwidth problem w/ the PC hooked up, but still same stuttering
Very strange behaviour..

That is strange, I have mine hooked up to my pc (3870 ATI card latest drivers) HDMI to the PJ and never see any stuttering. You get smooth playback on your pc monitor and there is no upscaling on the projector?
post #620 of 983
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Spaz View Post

First, I'd have to make some assumptions about your situation. Looking at the numbers quoted above, it appears to me as if you have your image zoomed away from the default that they use in the calculator. If this is the case, you have to adjust the zoom factor on the projector calculator in order to get accurate numbers. That slider is on the left side of the calculator.

Then, it does appear as if they are showing an error in the picture where it shows the projector lens actually inline with the projected image. I don't know if thats the correct direction of the offset. You're trying to use a negative 9 and +13.2 as your differing values and unless that projector is different than it's brothers and sisters, that's not the case. If it's +9 and +13.2, a difference of 4.2", that could easily be caused by adjustment of the zoom.

I can say that the numbers quoted for the X10 are very close to reality. Way within the 4" error I think you are seeing, and way way within the 20+" if that is truly the case.

It sounds as if you have to just pretend that picture of the projector inline with the screen really means the projector is above the screen. Then it would all work out. Yes?

Look at the X10 calculator, that one shows the image correctly, below the inverted projector. I realize the numbers are not the same.

Thanks. I do know how to use the calculator, and was more looking for whether the published figures are close to reality. I appreciate your confirmation of that. I am going to stick with the assumption that the picture on the 4805 calculator is wrong.

I can move my screen a few inches, but I don't want to move it too much. I may also be able to mount the projector an inch or two higher than my current projector. Together, that might be enough to make this work. Gotta take another look at this...
post #621 of 983
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLove View Post

The X10 allso has problems from time to time syncing the signal, only half of the screen is ok (right side) the other side (left) is garbled and display strange colors for a few seconds when resyncing after a FPS change.

If I understand you right, and this problem did not exist originally and you're now seeing a consistent problem, the split screen problem could mean you have a bad DLP controller. My understanding is that 1080p DLP is controlled by 2 separate controller chips, one handles the left side of the screen, one handles the right. If one has problems, you'll see an issue on half the screen.

Anirbana had an issue with his IN80, pictures of which are in this thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...27&postcount=1

Does that look like the half-screen sync problem you experienced?
post #622 of 983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Ferry View Post

Thanks. I do know how to use the calculator, and was more looking for whether the published figures are close to reality. I appreciate your confirmation of that. I am going to stick with the assumption that the picture on the 4805 calculator is wrong.

I can move my screen a few inches, but I don't want to move it too much. I may also be able to mount the projector an inch or two higher than my current projector. Together, that might be enough to make this work. Gotta take another look at this...

The X10 offset is roughly 36%. Several people have used keystoning to good effect. You can also tilt your screen to reduce the needed offset and thus eliminate keystoning. Check out the other pages of this thread for details on both.
post #623 of 983
Quote:
Originally Posted by croaker978 View Post

Yes I am very happy with my screen, while watching Wall-E my wife said 'you are always right' now granted there was some wine involved an obviously there is no direction but down to go from there. But the image we get is amazing.

as a side note it looks like it ideveloped a hairline crack along the mudded joint in the sheetrock substrate but it isnt noticable while watching a movie on anything but very bright screens and even then you have to know exactly where to look. I will however be sanding, mudding and repainting eventually. kbgl what was your final paint mix? I might could get away with just a touch darker, but the difference in size may lend to a lighter mixture.

This is just a little darker than your mix.
149 Lamp Black
33 Brown Oxide
14 Medium yellow
post #624 of 983
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbgl View Post

Black widow should be sprayed. If you decide that you want to roll paint a screen, you could consider the mix that I posted, or the one that croaker978 used. Both should be neutral. I'm very happy with the results on my 88" screen, and I believe croaker978 likes his mix at 106" too.

Actually, from what I could discern Here and what is shown Here Black Widow was developed to be a simple mix that was easy to roll and was good in ambient light. I can attest to all 3 of these. It was a simple mix 48 oz of Bermuda Biege and 3 - 4oz (12oz total) bottles of Auto Air Aluminum-Fine mixed with a squirrel cage on a drill. It rolled on perfectly and smoothly with a wooster lint free 1/4in nap roller. It also performs admirably with the curtains closed during the daytime. (the room's not dark by any means) Not to say it can't be sprayed but it was definitely designed to be rolled on and I can attest to that. Also, I don't want to discount what your using for screen paint KBGL but Black Widow is only slightly more difficult because you actually have to mix the AAA-F in yourself. I used the exact same method to roll it on as I did the Kilz2 primer.
post #625 of 983
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowjeep View Post

Actually, from what I could discern Here and what is shown Here Black Widow was developed to be a simple mix that was easy to roll and was good in ambient light. I can attest to all 3 of these. It was a simple mix 48 oz of Bermuda Biege and 3 - 4oz (12oz total) bottles of Auto Air Aluminum-Fine mixed with a squirrel cage on a drill. It rolled on perfectly and smoothly with a wooster lint free 1/4in nap roller. It also performs admirably with the curtains closed during the daytime. (the room's not dark by any means) Not to say it can't be sprayed but it was definitely designed to be rolled on and I can attest to that. Also, I don't want to discount what your using for screen paint KBGL but Black Widow is only slightly more difficult because you actually have to mix the AAA-F in yourself. I used the exact same method to roll it on as I did the Kilz2 primer.

Post edited.
post #626 of 983
Price is down another $100 at Tigerdirect plus you can use bing to save even more.
post #627 of 983
Hi Everyone,

I'm getting ready to set up my X10. I am moving to this from the 4805, which still works beautifully!

I'm wondering which movie you guys use to show off 1080P when you have people over?

Just for gee-whiz, who cares; 96"X54" BOC screen, 8'6" ceiling in 17'X26' room. Total light control and deep burgundy walls with almost black gray ceiling.

Just looking for good suggestions for which discs really show the advantage of 1080P.


Thanx!!!



Griff
post #628 of 983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post

I'm wondering which movie you guys use to show off 1080P when you have people over?

Just looking for good suggestions for which discs really show the advantage of 1080P.

Griff

Ya gotta go Pixar. Just the THX clip in the beginning is enough to wow 'em. Chapter 23 of the Incredibles - "100 Mile Dash" - is one of the best to show off any home theater.
post #629 of 983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post

I'm wondering which movie you guys use to show off 1080P when you have people over?

I use A Bugs Life more than any lately. Some others might have more fine detail and softer color gradients. If you want to see just how much color range you can get outa that pj, ABL's a good choice. Both abl and rat have a pretty good story too so they're not hard to watch, imo. I really like Ratatouille. Of course, I like to cook.
post #630 of 983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Ferry View Post

Has anyone found any real world difference in offset compared to the calculated offset? For example, the Infocus projection calculator says that with my 96" screen and my ceiling mounted 4805 projector 14' back, there should be a 13.2" offset with the top of the screen 13.2" above the lens. However, in actual use, the top of my screen is 9" below the lens position - a difference of 22.2". And I'm not using any keystone, the image is perfectly rectangular, and the screen is not tilted. (Actually, I think the 4805 calculator on infocus's site may have the offset reversed.)

My question: Is the 18.7" offset calculated for the X10 with my screen size a valid calculation? Are you finding that the actual offset you are getting is the same as the calculated number? If it is off some, in what direction?

The two remaining barriers to me buying this are the offset and fan noise concerns. If those concern go away, it'll be time to box up the 4805 and move up to HD!

From my experience with the X10, the calculator was very acurate. I took Jeahrens advice and did a slight (2 inch) screen tilt and everything lined up great. I will say that the projector does put out more noise than I had anticipated. Of course, it is made worse by the fact that my main viewing position is directly under the projector. It isn't enough to bother me because during movies the sound is up and drowns out the fan. I do notice it while watching low volume TV shows tho.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP › Infocus X10/ IN80 Owners thread - Reviews, Settings, Screenshots and issues