Originally Posted by cadoga
3 months later, this one started overheating. In the end it would overheat from cold in 15 minutes.
Sorry to hear of your troubles. Nothing is more frustrating than dealing with premature failures - especially twice. But if your 3 month old projector is shutting down after 15 minutes, there is no way that is due to dust buildup. Something else has to be at work here. A quick thermal overload after powerup is often a fan problem - maybe one is not working, or is not ramping up in speed properly as the heat increases within the case.
It's weird that it's happened twice though. Anything unusual about your setup - any heating ducts nearby, is the unit mounted in a confined area? Do you have frequent power issues (brown outs, etc) that may damage components?
Before it shut down, did the fans go into their highest mode, as loud as when you run the lamp on high? If they didn't, and the unit went into thermal shutdown with the fans still relatively quiet, then it seems pretty clear the issue is not dust.
It could just be that you ran into 2 consecutive units with bad fans or fan controllers. That seems like rather long odds, but you never know.
If the IN8x series had a cooling design flaw such that 3 months of dust buildup would cause it to go into thermal shutdown for typical installations, we would be reading many examples of people experiencing the issue. Yours is the 1st one I've read in any of the threads regarding the X10 or IN8x.
Hopefully you'll get your new projector tomorrow and life will be good again. Regardless of the cause of the problem, you have every right to be annoyed you had to deal with 2 faulty units. I hope the third time is the charm.