or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › HD DVD Players › Recommended Firmware for A1 and XA2...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Recommended Firmware for A1 and XA2...

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 
What are the recommended firmware versions for my A1 and my XA2 players? How do I look up the current firmware versions on each player?
post #2 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra5wood View Post

What are the recommended firmware versions for my A1 and my XA2 players? How do I look up the current firmware versions on each player?

The latest version for both versions is 4.0. Some people will tell you to always update to the latest version.

I go by the theory "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". I am currently using version 2.4 on my A1. I am not sure what was fixed in 3.0 and 4.0, but I am not having any problems with 2.4 and have held off on updating.

I don't have an XA2, so I can't comment on that. But again, If you aren't having any problems, I would leave it alone. But many others will say update anyway, and there may be some fixes for problems you are having.

To check your version on the A1, Setup > General > Maintenance > Update.
The first set of letters is the firmware. Here is what mine says (2.4/1.0A/2.0). I have not idea what the second and third set of numbers mean. Select Cancel to exit that screen. Don't press Setup unless you are trying to update over the web. I don't know how to do that, but many others do. If you want to update to 4.0, you can call Toshiba Support and they will send you the updates on CD. There are different ones for each model.

As far as I know, checking the XA2 should be the same steps.
post #3 of 17
I agree, if it ain't broke don't fix it. I'm still at 1.3 on my A35 and my Onkyo player is still on it's original firmware. The only way a firmware disc is touching my Onkyo is if it suddenly starts acting up or there is some major added feature, which I highly doubt on either situation.

I do miss how every time a new firmware came out, the PQ was supposedly always better after updating. Funny, no one actually proved it. The mind is a powerful thing...
post #4 of 17
I am still using my A1 and working like a champ.

I think I am using the FW right under 4.0 whatever that may be.

Still have not moved to Blu-ray lol. Just love how good the A1 does the upscaling and I am sure others do it better or just as good, but I am in no rush to get into blu-ray, but maybe this Christmas with the prices getting lower!
post #5 of 17
The A1 is certainly a gem on SD-DVD scaling. It's still my best player for that purpose.
I am on the hunt for an Onkyo XA2 clone or an XA2 itself...

The A1 scored perfect on everything that matters on the secrets testing, just like the XA2 / Onkyo clone. the A2, A3, A20, ect... not so much.
post #6 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklac View Post


I do miss how every time a new firmware came out, the PQ was supposedly always better after updating. Funny, no one actually proved it. The mind is a powerful thing...

Tell me about it, having said that at one upgrade the XA2 did get sharper, mainly because the Reon setting of "Edge Enhancement" wasn't originally available for HD DVD but only for SD DVD, so one of the early FW update changed that. So for people who set that setting to 1 or 2 for SD DVD when they originally set the player up, suddenly the sharpness did look more pronounced for HD DVD as well after that update.
post #7 of 17
A little off subject ... but here goes ...

I can't get my A1 to accept the 4.0 FW. I have it now at 3.0 and it's working fine. But on three separate occassions over the last several weeks, I've burned a disc and tried ... and all I get is "No Disc" error on the player's LED display.

Now, I've burned and updated FW on my 4 HD DVD players, my two BD players and my LG BH200 combo a whole bunch of times (do the math ... it's a couple dozen updates at least). Never had a problem. So I don't think I'm doing anything wrong.

Anyone have any thoughts as to why this is happening?
post #8 of 17
I've been using 4.0 with my XA2 since it arrived and have had no problems whatsoever.
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by hconwell View Post

A little off subject ... but here goes ...

I can't get my A1 to accept the 4.0 FW. I have it now at 3.0 and it's working fine. But on three separate occassions over the last several weeks, I've burned a disc and tried ... and all I get is "No Disc" error on the player's LED display.

Now, I've burned and updated FW on my 4 HD DVD players, my two BD players and my LG BH200 combo a whole bunch of times (do the math ... it's a couple dozen updates at least). Never had a problem. So I don't think I'm doing anything wrong.

Anyone have any thoughts as to why this is happening?

You are not alone with the A-1 not taking the 4.0 firmware. I was able to get my D1 to take the 4.0 firmware, yet the A-1 seems to want to stay at 3.0! I'll have to try again when I feel like messing around with it.
post #10 of 17
A while ago I updated my A1 to 3.0 and wish I hadn't. I now put up with the dreaded grinding noise that others have reported. So i think the optimum version from my experience for the A1 is 2.3 or whatever it was before 3.0.
post #11 of 17
I have my XA2 still running 2.7 iirc.....the last firmware that didn't break anything for most people.
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_p View Post

A while ago I updated my A1 to 3.0 and wish I hadn't. I now put up with the dreaded grinding noise that others have reported. So i think the optimum version from my experience for the A1 is 2.3 or whatever it was before 3.0.

My A1 has the grinding noise on every firmware after 2.0.
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemama127 View Post

I have my XA2 still running 2.7 iirc.....the last firmware that didn't break anything for most people.

Yep, that's where I'm at as well. I have no intention to do any further update, now that the format is dead.
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by hconwell View Post

A little off subject ... but here goes ...

I can't get my A1 to accept the 4.0 FW. I have it now at 3.0 and it's working fine. But on three separate occassions over the last several weeks, I've burned a disc and tried ... and all I get is "No Disc" error on the player's LED display.

Now, I've burned and updated FW on my 4 HD DVD players, my two BD players and my LG BH200 combo a whole bunch of times (do the math ... it's a couple dozen updates at least). Never had a problem. So I don't think I'm doing anything wrong.

Anyone have any thoughts as to why this is happening?

I had this problem updating one of my XA1s with a v4.0 firmware CD. I ended up using the ethernet connection for the first time to do the update - it worked fine.

Steve
post #15 of 17
I cast my vote for version 4 for my XA2. This firmware has addressed everything that I needed it to. There is, however, an annoying 'direct audio' warning that pops up every now and again. Not a big deal, though...Will
post #16 of 17
Any regionfree for the A1 and Pal support.........
post #17 of 17
My recommendation for the A1 is firmware 2.0, the most trouble free update since 1.4 that still plays everything well.

John
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HD DVD Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › HD DVD Players › Recommended Firmware for A1 and XA2...