or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Video Download Services & Hardware › Netflix streaming quality
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Netflix streaming quality - Page 102

post #3031 of 5444
^^^ Bold Letters are for the newbies you guys probably already know all this stuff and more (notice no bold letter this time) biggrin.gif
On second thought I took most of them out now It was kind of hard on the eyes after all now that you mention it eek.gif




Best Regards
Edited by tubetwister - 9/27/13 at 5:22am
post #3032 of 5444
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

When is this supposed to happen? If I can get access to SuperHD now without unBLOCK US, then I can cancel it and save $5 a month.

EDIT:eek.gifeek.gifeek.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Sweet!! It's working right now without the unBlock US DNS IP addresses. Time for me to cancel them. SWEET!!!!

720P ? As I understand it Silverlight won't Do 1080P on PC (at least in win 7 or less) or maybe you are windows 8 ? In win 7, 720P as far as I can screw it up other stuff like flash and HTML5 I can do 1080p
post #3033 of 5444
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Since FiOS wasn't part of their Open Connect ISP list, I paid $5 a month to unBLOCk US. Then you input their DNS IP addresses in your router and I was able to get access to the Super HD and 3D streams. But now that Netflix has opened those streams up to everyone, I will no longer need them. I just requested to be canceled at the end of the billing period.

I don't follow, according to their website Unblock US is a privacy thing, but how does entering different DNS addresses change the routing from Netflix to your ISP? I mean, the physical connection is still from your ISP to your house, so if your ISP isn't using Netflix's Open Connect (which for what I understand is a direct connection from Netflix to ISPs), then how Unblock US changes that?
post #3034 of 5444
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

Depends on what you're watching with. On any platform you can play "Example Short 23.976" a clip with bit rate/resolution information burned onto each of its constituent video encodes.

On a browser at best I get 3000 kbps. But the best thing about "Example Short 23.976" are the user reviews.
post #3035 of 5444
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post

Like you said the best I can do in win7x64 w/ Chrome Browser is still 1280x720 either at a set constant bit rate or Netflix VBR .I'm sure silverlight WMC app is same same at least in win 7 . I won't hold my breath too long for the HTML5/Webkit in win 7 anyway .

Would be nice if M$ updated Silverlight for us win 7 holdouts No reason it cant be done I wouldn't think ? especially since it has a ~2020 EOL.

Unfortunately Micro$oft dumped this piece of garbage Windows 8 on the market and expects all of us to start using it as if it was any good. Elephants will fly out of my butt wearing diapers before I put that monstrosity in my computer, much less pay for it.
post #3036 of 5444
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

Depends on what you're watching with. On any platform you can play "Example Short 23.976" a clip with bit rate/resolution information burned onto each of its constituent video encodes. If it gets up to at least 4300 Kbps you got Super HD. On the PS3 you can bring up the stream info overlay and in the Win8 Netflix app you can bring up the Stream Manager (with CTRL-SHIFT-ALT-S) which will tell which encode you're buffering and which you're playing. (I have other devices with that stream info overlay but the PS3 is the only one which will say "1080 Super HD"; the others will just say "1080 HD" for all three encodes).

Hi michaeltscott, thank you.
post #3037 of 5444
Quote:
Sebaz wrote :
Unfortunately Micro$oft dumped this piece of garbage Windows 8 on the market and expects all of us to start using it as if it was any good. Elephants will fly out of my butt wearing diapers before I put that monstrosity in my computer, much less pay for it.

Some people like it . I tried out the older preview beta last year in a VM it was a little wonky being a beta and all and not having a touch screen I couldn't see any compelling reason to upgrade In fact I don't find touch screens on a desktop PC compelling at all but rather stupid rolleyes.gif IMO touchy feely belongs on Pads,convertibles and phones and ofc ATM's and checkout Kiosks running Embedded windows but not on pay toilets mad.gif

Not to mention I didn't much care for Metro tiles that they don't call Metro tiles anymore so what do they call the tiles now just tiles?


. I don't want buffalo chicken wing and pizza sauce tracks all over my screen eek.gif Maybe 8.1 with Start 8 would be OK booting straight to desktop or maybe ~one click away
as I understand it the OS kernel is a bit faster and some other enhancements under the hood as well. I like aero though I don't know if you can have in 8.1 without rainmaker or something.
Still no compelling reason to 'upgrade' from 7 for me at this point.
Edited by tubetwister - 9/27/13 at 6:15am
post #3038 of 5444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebaz View Post

I don't follow, according to their website Unblock US is a privacy thing, but how does entering different DNS addresses change the routing from Netflix to your ISP? I mean, the physical connection is still from your ISP to your house, so if your ISP isn't using Netflix's Open Connect (which for what I understand is a direct connection from Netflix to ISPs), then how Unblock US changes that?

I'm not the one to explain it. I only know that getting gaccess to SuperHD was one of the things they advertised and it worked. As soon I changed the DNS IP addresses in my router, I could access the SUperHD and 3D streams. Of course now it doesn't matter since netflix opened up those strems to everyone. You can also use unBlock US to access content from other regions. You go to their webpage and change the region you want to use. Then the next time you open the Netflix streaming app you will have access to the streaming content they use from that region. But this was not a feature that I used. But other people apparently use it.
post #3039 of 5444
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post

Some people like it . I tried out the preview beta last year in a VM it was a little wonky being a beta and all and not having a touch screen I couldn't see any compelling reason to upgrade In fact I don't find touch screens on a desktop PC compelling at all but rather stupid rolleyes.gif IMO touchy feely belongs on Pads,convertibles and phones and ofc ATM's and checkout Kiosks running Embedded windows but not on pay toilets mad.gif

LOL!! That never occurred to me! But yea, that's only an OS for touch surfaces, not to do real work. I wouldn't mind if the desktop itself wouldn't be so extremely ugly, but I have to work with this thing all day long, and Windows 7 is ugly as it is, I'm not going to pay for putting something even uglier.
post #3040 of 5444
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Of course now it doesn't matter since netflix opened up those strems to everyone.

But what if your ISP doesn't want to use OpenConnect? For what I read, TWC doesn't like OpenConnect and even accused Netflix of some crap about discriminating, blah blah blah. Unfortunately I'm stuck with TWC, or I could also choose AT&T, but given how bad their customer service is, I wouldn't get anything from them.
post #3041 of 5444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebaz View Post

But what if your ISP doesn't want to use OpenConnect? For what I read, TWC doesn't like OpenConnect and even accused Netflix of some crap about discriminating, blah blah blah. Unfortunately I'm stuck with TWC, or I could also choose AT&T, but given how bad their customer service is, I wouldn't get anything from them.
That's the whole point of this announcement, openconnect no longer has any bearing on the availability of SuperHD. Super HD is no longer limited to openconnect partners.

What was happening was that netflix and ISPs were arguing over who would pay for increased bandwidth to the netflix servers. Neither wants to pay. That battle is still being wages and is of great significance to the future of the internet.
post #3042 of 5444
Couldent get the test video to ramp up to HD over 5 minutes so I gave up (maybe it went viral biggrin.gif worked fine last night ramped up maybe 30+ seconds.
went to netflix spun up Biatches in Jail ( the orange and Black halloween biatches in prison show.) Took ~ 4 minutes to hit 720p @ 3K bit rate on VBR
I might try fixed bit rate later see if it ramps up better it was hella quicker ramping up last night ! it's friday AM about 0630 maybe all the
match dot com and harmony whatever people are on line trying to line up some some friday night trim ha ha
Or maybe folks are checking out Obummercare on line eek.gif

Just heard Miami was gonna be underwater by 2050 CNN global warming propaganda I shoudent be here by then and if I am
I will be to old to eat buffalo wings and pizza and drink beer or even smoke some tree or even comprehend the news I'll be f@##ing 98!eek.gifeek.gifeek.gifeek.gifeek.gifeek.gifeek.gif
Edited by tubetwister - 9/27/13 at 6:53am
post #3043 of 5444
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

That's the whole point of this announcement, openconnect no longer has any bearing on the availability of SuperHD. Super HD is no longer limited to openconnect partners.

What was happening was that netflix and ISPs were arguing over who would pay for increased bandwidth to the netflix servers. Neither wants to pay. That battle is still being wages and is of great significance to the future of the internet.
So..correct me if Im wrong. And I probably am.
Super HD is now available to non OpenConnect customers but if youre a non OpenConnect customer you probably wont have the bandwidth to get it.
I feel like theres something here Im supposed to get excited about but Im having trouble comprehending it.
Edited by Bond 007 - 9/27/13 at 6:58am
post #3044 of 5444
This announcement only refers to SuperHD streams correct. 3D streams are still OpenConnect exclusive?
post #3045 of 5444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

I feel like theres something here Im supposed to get excited about but Im having trouble comprehending it.

That's what she said.
post #3046 of 5444
Quote:
Sebaz wrote
LOL!! That never occurred to me! But yea, that's only an OS for touch surfaces, not to do real work. I wouldn't mind if the desktop itself wouldn't be so extremely ugly, but I have to work with this thing all day long, and Windows 7 is ugly as it is, I'm not going to pay for putting something even uglier.
Sebastian



They are trying turn everybody into smart phone tards and touchpad tards some of the friggen phones cost more than a decent PC. same with the tard pads .windows 8 is just the beginning! profit margins are much higher on tard pads and smartphones than on PC's just follow the money !
They want us to use them and watch reality TV on them and waste time on twitter and fake book keep it down to 140 words of dribble !

PC's will become expensive and scarce only the rich will be able to afford them just like 1980 might find some old ones on the black markets controlled by organized crime . The controlled media will feed us propaganda gen XYZ won't be able to hold meaningful conversations but can text using both opposable thumbs at the same time at breakneck speed while they are talking errr texting head on twitter and fakebook and losing their minds and thier freedoms more and more every day! living in their parents basements because there won't be anymore full time jobs only for the folks making tard pads and smartphones eek.gif

And here we are supposed to get excited about some high speed super HD that for most does not exist I'm outa here
back to mr technical difficulty videos on You Tube later!

:
Edited by tubetwister - 9/27/13 at 7:28am
post #3047 of 5444
After doing tests with that cinematic masterpiece called "Example Short 23.976" (a guy breakdancing backwards while working on his laptop - and then they say Citizen Kane was the best film of all time. Pft!), on my Roku I get up to 5800 kbps after a minute or more, but it doesn't stay there, it goes down, sometimes even drastically to 480p, then it goes up again and so on. It's jumping up and down all the time. On my two Blu-ray players, low end models from 2010, I'm kind of puzzled because they start playing at what seems to be full quality and it stays there, but it doesn't show any information about the bitrate or size dimensions like on the Roku. I thought that was actually parts of the different video streams, but it must be encoded as a subtitle, since my Blu-ray players can't play subtitles.

This, however, tells me how terribly bad Netflix's service is, because even though TWC slows down a bit on heavy traffic times (and I assume every ISP does), I'm testing this now between 10:30 AM and 11 AM on a Friday, in an residential area, and not a very crowded one. No apartment complexes in miles, just houses apart from each other. And if I start downloading a big file from any other server, let's say a Linux ISO or something similar, it comes steady at 2.5 Megabytes per second, that's 20 Mbits per second. So my internet connection is peaking at what I'm supposed to get, and it's almost four times higher than they top bitrate of 5800 kbps, and yet, they can't even deliver that. What a pathetic excuse for a company. Typical American corporation these days, spend all the money in marketing, get as many customers as possible, but keep using old equipment until it breaks down.
post #3048 of 5444
The Roku was a turd for Netflix with TWC which is why I sold it and got most of my money back. If you have a PS3 try that as it is the best device.
post #3049 of 5444
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post

The Roku was a turd for Netflix with TWC which is why I sold it and got most of my money back. If you have a PS3 try that as it is the best device.
Good to know.
post #3050 of 5444
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post

The Roku was a turd for Netflix with TWC which is why I sold it and got most of my money back. If you have a PS3 try that as it is the best device.

Nah, I wouldn't spend any money to have a big ugly device sitting there just because Netflix doesn't get off their asses and implement a good service across devices. If Amazon Prime works fine on Roku, there's no excuse why Netflix can't. Same hardware, same OS.

But talking about OS, isn't there a way to hack the Netflix channel app on Roku to make it work always at a specific bitrate? Kind of like the stream manager on browsers?
post #3051 of 5444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebaz View Post

Nah, I wouldn't spend any money to have a big ugly device sitting there just because Netflix doesn't get off their asses and implement a good service across devices. If Amazon Prime works fine on Roku, there's no excuse why Netflix can't. Same hardware, same OS.

But talking about OS, isn't there a way to hack the Netflix channel app on Roku to make it work always at a specific bitrate? Kind of like the stream manager on browsers?

But netflix does work perfectly well on the Roku. My only complaint is that it can't play the 3D streams. Otherwise it has been a solid Netflix player.
post #3052 of 5444
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

But netflix does work perfectly well on the Roku. My only complaint is that it can't play the 3D streams. Otherwise it has been a solid Netflix player.

So you enjoy seeing movies and tv shows with the picture quality changing all the time? I don't, and I guess most people don't either. Unless you refer to past times when it was bad, but nowhere as bad as it is now, those old times when you would have to put up with horrible picture quality for about 30 or 40 seconds after starting a feature or doing a search. Right now it's impossible to watch unless you enjoy seeing an ok picture quality one minute and a crappy one the next minute.
post #3053 of 5444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebaz View Post

But talking about OS, isn't there a way to hack the Netflix channel app on Roku to make it work always at a specific bitrate? Kind of like the stream manager on browsers?

That only works on the original Roku's where they don't have adaptive bit rate. See that is the root of the problem. Adaptive bit rate sucks the big one every time. The reason why Amazon streams great on the Roku is because it does not use adaptive streaming which is why you see dots for quality. Now on the PS3 the cruddy Amazon app does use adaptive streaming which is why you see it drop down to SD quality quite often and even pop up bandwidth issues.

Now since Netflix uses crappy adaptive streaming for all devices except the original Roku it will drop down to horrible quality when it really does not have too. Some devices like the Roku, some BluRay and TV set players can't handle it great. Usually the PS3 can handle it the best because it has a huge buffer so it is able to keep up with the ever changing stream. I hope I explained it as best as I can and I know Sebaz it can be frustrating. Especially when others put you down and blame you or your equipment. I went through much hate on the Roku forums because of that.
post #3054 of 5444
First off, I liked "Aftershock" but then I live in an earthquake zone so that added a new dimension to it. Most reviews I read didn't like Eli Roth trying to be an actor.

I'm not expecting SuperHD here but also don't see any reason that the Netflix app would do anything different than just passing the decoded stream to my Sony BD player decoder. I've watched HDX on VUDU with just 6 mbps. But I think that VUDU may be using a higher AVC profile than Netflix does. That said, last night I tried a "recommeded" movie "Love Sick Love". Link speed came in at around 9 mbps. The movie itself at barely 1.9 mbps then the 30 second, "push the car to start it again", rebuffering. Enough already. Tried a second "recommended" movie "Resolution" which played at 9 mbps BUT such an ugly encoding I thought it was shot with a smartphone (said shot with Red at the end). No rebuffering though.

Things may get even worse in this area next month as Comcast is going to start encrypting Limited Basic next Tuesday. Some of us who saw the notice and have computer TV tuners are planning to cancel Comcast (I only have their TV). I may just go the streaming route altogether. I could get U-Verse TV on a deal for a year and we also have yet another line provider coming into the town: Astound. Their bottom broadband speed is 15 mbps. I suspect folks, who didn't see the notice, tune in their favorite show on their HD set using OpenQAM and can't get it are going to be furious Tuesday night. That office may be jammed as people try to get the little boxes Comcast is offering for that set and others may just decide it's time to do away with the overpriced cable and satellite providers and watch Netflix and Hulu instead.
post #3055 of 5444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebaz View Post

After doing tests with that cinematic masterpiece called "Example Short 23.976" (a guy breakdancing backwards while working on his laptop - and then they say Citizen Kane was the best film of all time. Pft!), on my Roku I get up to 5800 kbps after a minute or more, but it doesn't stay there, it goes down, sometimes even drastically to 480p, then it goes up again and so on. It's jumping up and down all the time. On my two Blu-ray players, low end models from 2010, I'm kind of puzzled because they start playing at what seems to be full quality and it stays there, but it doesn't show any information about the bitrate or size dimensions like on the Roku. I thought that was actually parts of the different video streams, but it must be encoded as a subtitle, since my Blu-ray players can't play subtitles.

Your BD players are pre-adaptive-bit-rate. They use different sets of video encodes for everything, including "Example Short"; the version which they use doesn't have the burned-in bit-rate/resolution info.

Netflix generates a number of different sets of video encodes for different types of devices. They stated, in this recruiting slide show, that they generate 120 "downloadables" per title; one set of adaptive bit rate encodes for an SD title would account for six of these, two more for 720p, and 3 more on top of that for 1080p w/Super HD. It's understandable that there'd be different encodes for non-adaptive-bit-rate devices, and for players on mobile phones and tablets; I'm not sure why they'd need multiple adaptive bit rate video encode sets for players built into TVs, STBs like Roku and BDPs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebaz View Post

So you enjoy seeing movies and tv shows with the picture quality changing all the time? I don't, and I guess most people don't either.

You'd enjoy watching with pauses for 20 seconds every couple of minutes or so to refill the buffer with video at a quality level that you don't currently have the bandwidth to keep up with? My guess is that most people would find the shifting quality levels to be much more watchable.

The website player and Win8 Netflix app have the ability to fix a bit rate. Left-click the video to give the player keyboard focus and type CTRL-SHIFT-ALT-S; this will bring up a menu for the Stream Manager. Click the "Manual Selection" check box and then one of the bit rate radio buttons.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebaz View Post

Unfortunately Micro$oft dumped this piece of garbage Windows 8 on the market and expects all of us to start using it as if it was any good. Elephants will fly out of my butt wearing diapers before I put that monstrosity in my computer, much less pay for it.

I'll never understand these criticisms of Win8. I've been running it since launch and haven't had a single problem with it. I only use the Start screen UI to kick off Win8 apps and primarily use the classic desktop. It's nearly indistinguishable from how I used Win7 and is palpably faster and smoother. (It also does some cute things like automatically rebooting in the middle of the night to apply critical updates and doing its very best to restore your desktop to exactly the way it was). Maybe I'm just lucky. Win 8.1 supposedly brings back some form of the Start button and the ability to boot to desktop.
post #3056 of 5444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebaz View Post

So you enjoy seeing movies and tv shows with the picture quality changing all the time? I don't, and I guess most people don't either. Unless you refer to past times when it was bad, but nowhere as bad as it is now, those old times when you would have to put up with horrible picture quality for about 30 or 40 seconds after starting a feature or doing a search. Right now it's impossible to watch unless you enjoy seeing an ok picture quality one minute and a crappy one the next minute.

I don't have that issue on my Roku3 or two Roku 2 boxes or my other Netflix streaming devices. Netflix streams go to the highest bitrate and stay there. It's extremely rare for the stream to drop to a lower quality. Neflix streaming on my Rokus is rock solid.
post #3057 of 5444
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

I don't have that issue on my Roku3 or two Roku 2 boxes or my other Netflix streaming devices. Netflix streams go to the highest bitrate and stay there. It's extremely rare for the stream to drop to a lower quality. Neflix streaming on my Rokus is rock solid.
Well not for me a Sebaz who is also on TWC. That is why the Roku is a pain to diagnose. Some people have problems while others it is fine. Still the Netflix GUI on the Roku is butt ugly with zero new features that Netflix added the past couple of years which makes me not want to use it anyway. biggrin.gif
post #3058 of 5444
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

You'd enjoy watching with pauses for 20 seconds every couple of minutes or so to refill the buffer with video at a quality level that you don't currently have the bandwidth to keep up with? My guess is that most people would find the shifting quality levels to be much more watchable.

Not at all, but to me the obvious solution to all this is the proper use of buffering to download as much as it's needed to play the whole thing at the best quality from start to finish, however long it takes. I never bought movies on iTunes, however I bought some movies on Blu-ray that come with that Ultraviolet thing where you can download the movie from iTunes included in the price of the BD. So I got a few that way, even though it's pointless because if I have the Blu-ray why do I care to watch a lower quality version, but regardless, that 4.44 GB file downloaded in about 30 minutes or less, and if I were to watch the movie that way, I wouldn't have to put up with either quality changes or rebuffers. Of course it wouldn't be necessary for Netflix to send the whole file, but if they send one quarter of the file before starting to play, and that ensures that it will play without interruptions or looking like crap, then I'd be happy to wait. Am I going to die if I have to wait ten minutes to watch something properly? No.

The way it is now, Netflix's service is absolute crap. I'm paying TWC $71 a month to have a 20 Mbps connection that works really well for everything else, not only on the Roku but on my PCs, Blu-ray players, etc. In fact, other than the occasional video on YouTube, the only streaming service that stops to rebuffer is Netflix. Even if I watch something on browsers, for example, Conan on his website, which is a 720p stream, never drops or stops, and the same goes for Hulu, both on a browser and the Roku box, and the best of them all, Amazon Prime. So when is this company going to realize that along with tons of new customers you have to invest in more equipment?
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

The website player and Win8 Netflix app have the ability to fix a bit rate. Left-click the video to give the player keyboard focus and type CTRL-SHIFT-ALT-S; this will bring up a menu for the Stream Manager. Click the "Manual Selection" check box and then one of the bit rate radio buttons.
I'll never understand these criticisms of Win8. I've been running it since launch and haven't had a single problem with it. I only use the Start screen UI to kick off Win8 apps and primarily use the classic desktop. It's nearly indistinguishable from how I used Win7 and is palpably faster and smoother. (It also does some cute things like automatically rebooting in the middle of the night to apply critical updates and doing its very best to restore your desktop to exactly the way it was). Maybe I'm just lucky. Win 8.1 supposedly brings back some form of the Start button and the ability to boot to desktop.

I downloaded the 8.1 preview to install in my HTPC using an old hard drive, and disconnecting the other two drives so they don't get anything changed by this piece of garbage OS. The only reason I'm wasting time installing it it's because I recently started watching Breaking Bad, and I'm sick of the constant drops in quality watching on the Roku. However, can you see how pathetic it is that if you want to use a fixed bitrate, every single time you open a new stream Netflix makes you open the stream manager? At least that was the case last time I tried that on a browser window.

However, even if it works better than anything else, after finishing Breaking Bad there's no chance I'm going to pay even 1 cent to have that POS Windows 8 in my computer. I tried both the 8.0 and the 8.1 consumer previews and they are the worst piece of garbage software ever made. If to you it's "nearly indistinguishable from how I used Win7" then you must've used Windows 7 the wrong way, because Windows 8 takes several extra steps to do something as simple as shut down or reboot the computer. As for "palpably faster and smoother", that's not Windows 8, that happens every time you reinstall Windows from scratch, because Windows (all versions) is a mediocre OS that gets more bloated as time goes by and it saves caches all over the place, and you install more software. I re-installed Windows 7 two weeks ago, and it's also noticeably faster and smoother than it was towards the end of the 8 month old installation. Start installing software on your Windows 8, give it a few months and it will be as slow as Win 7.

Besides, even if it was insanely fast, if I have to look at that horrible GUI all day I would shoot myself. I'm not talking about the tiles, the tiles are OK, but they would be useless to me because I don't care for tablets. But the desktop is so ugly that it makes me want to pull my eyes out.
post #3059 of 5444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebaz View Post

I never bought movies on iTunes, however I bought some movies on Blu-ray that come with that Ultraviolet thing where you can download the movie from iTunes included in the price of the BD. So I got a few that way, even though it's pointless because if I have the Blu-ray why do I care to watch a lower quality version, but regardless, that 4.44 GB file downloaded in about 30 minutes or less, and if I were to watch the movie that way, I wouldn't have to put up with either quality changes or rebuffers.

When you are downloading from iTunes I assume you are using either a computer (Windows or MAC) or Apple TV. All have significant local storage (8GB Flash for the Apple TV).

Many people (including me at first) think that an Apple TV is streaming from iTunes - it isn't - it always downloads the file at the highest speed that the connection supports.

Now Netlix can't do that with a Roku, WD Live, etc because they don't have the local storage to download anything close to a complete title.

Netflix could in theory do it to a Windows PC - but it seems the content owners are placing stricter restrictions on what Netflix can do Windows PCs vs embedded players (you'll sometimes find the PC version of the title isn't available at the same quality as the emdedded version).
post #3060 of 5444
Sebaz
let us know how the current win8 preview works for you will M$ deactivate it in OCT win 8.1 hits the street?

FWIW to anyone you can set the bit rate in web browser or WMC in win 7 silverlight stream manager just hold down shift+ alt and left click on
screen when netflix is playing that will open silverlight dialog box and stream manager is there
Edited by tubetwister - 9/27/13 at 4:00pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Video Download Services & Hardware › Netflix streaming quality