or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP › Official JVC RS20/HD750 Owners Thread!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official JVC RS20/HD750 Owners Thread! - Page 167  

post #4981 of 5082
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill View Post

Yes, thanks. Only that I would loose some length to the room. Still, something to think about.

My and Jeff's point was that it could be minimal. if you've been to home theaters with AT screen and the sound coming from behind the image, you know the advantages.

Yes, food for thought.

Jeff
post #4982 of 5082
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill View Post

Yes, thanks. Only that I would loose some length to the room. Still, something to think about.

In your climate I suspect you could use an in-wall speaker on an exterior wall. If you did that I doubt you would lose any depth to the room. In the end it is your call. There are pluses and minuses to AT screens.
post #4983 of 5082
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill View Post

Yes, thanks. Only that I would loose some length to the room. Still, something to think about.

Yes, that is the issue cited in previous discussions. But if it's not an issue, this can be done without the expense and complication of a false wall. Do what I did... just hang the screen in space. Empty space is the screen's border. I suspended it with black rope. I put shelves on the wall behind for the speakers and, in my case, amplifiers and crossovers. From the viewing position with lights on you see noting but a screen hanging in space. With the lights off you see an image hanging in space. It's pretty dramatic. I've not seen anyone else do this and I wonder why...
post #4984 of 5082
That's what I do too. My screen is 54" x 130" AT with no border and it hangs from the ceiling via some black zip ties two feet from the front wall. The entire room is covered in black velvet and the screen just floats in space.
post #4985 of 5082
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post

Yes, that is the issue cited in previous discussions. But if it's not an issue, this can be done without the expense and complication of a false wall. Do what I did... just hang the screen in space. Empty space is the screen's border. I suspended it with black rope. I put shelves on the wall behind for the speakers and, in my case, amplifiers and crossovers. From the viewing position with lights on you see noting but a screen hanging in space. With the lights off you see an image hanging in space. It's pretty dramatic. I've not seen anyone else do this and I wonder why...

I have seen shelves done before. It is not that uncommon.
post #4986 of 5082
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post

For reference, I'm using a 9 ft wide (not diag) 2.0 gain stewart screen and can get 15fl with correct grayscale at 100 hours on the lamp with the iris at 7 in low lamp mode from a 15 ft throw distance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by umr View Post

Not sure about their calc accuracy, but that sounds right. Do not under estimate the effect of a few fL.

Thanks for the info -- 9' wide is what I am aiming for as well. I will have to start looking at higher gain screens. And maybe consider once again bringing the pj forward a touch. I guess the nice thing is that I have a temporary screen solution (borrowed from a friend) so I can take my time on a final screen choice :-)

Thanks again,
--Carey
post #4987 of 5082
Quote:
Originally Posted by umr View Post

In your climate I suspect you could use an in-wall speaker on an exterior wall. If you did that I doubt you would lose any depth to the room. In the end it is your call. There are pluses and minuses to AT screens.

Thanks, guys for the various suggestions; will think about these in any future mods.

With my current Ascendacoustics Sierra's as L/C/R speakers, I really don't have a problem having them to the L and R of my present 16x9 screen. I would only run out of lateral space if I wanted to go to a 2.35 screen.

And I am guessing that the audio I get from these speakers is better than what I would get from any inwall speakers, or having them on a shelf behind an AT screen. As said, this is a 'guess', since I'm not at all experienced in these matters.
post #4988 of 5082
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill View Post

Thanks, guys for the various suggestions; will think about these in any future mods.

With my current Ascendacoustics Sierra's as L/C/R speakers, I really don't have a problem having them to the L and R of my present 16x9 screen. I would only run out of lateral space if I wanted to go to a 2.35 screen.

And I am guessing that the audio I get from these speakers is better than what I would get from any inwall speakers, or having them on a shelf behind an AT screen. As said, this is a 'guess', since I'm not at all experienced in these matters.

If I was asked to guess, that would be my guess as well.
post #4989 of 5082
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill View Post

Thanks, guys for the various suggestions; will think about these in any future mods.

With my current Ascendacoustics Sierra's as L/C/R speakers, I really don't have a problem having them to the L and R of my present 16x9 screen. I would only run out of lateral space if I wanted to go to a 2.35 screen.

And I am guessing that the audio I get from these speakers is better than what I would get from any inwall speakers, or having them on a shelf behind an AT screen. As said, this is a 'guess', since I'm not at all experienced in these matters.

When I was there your current speakers were easily visible to the sides. Fixing that would be a plus if it was my rig.

Ascend makes good value speakers, but there are better options even in in-wall. In-wall speakers have come a long way and Ascend speakers are not very efficient if you want to listen at reference levels it will push them hard.
post #4990 of 5082
Quote:
Originally Posted by umr View Post

When I was there your current speakers were easily visible to the sides. Fixing that would be a plus if it was my rig.

Ascend makes good value speakers, but there are better options even in in-wall. In-wall speakers have come a long way and Ascend speakers are not very efficient if you want to listen at reference levels it will push them hard.

Yes, Jeff, the speakers are certainly visible, so this might be an issue if esthetics were a very high priority. Also, in my medium-small room (2000+ cuft) there is no issue reaching any limit that I can tolerate.

But thanks for your info re the possibility of good quality in-wall speakers, just in case I do get the bug to try to dress things up.
post #4991 of 5082
Ran into a problem last night with the RS20. I was watching a DVD (Leap Year) and on the right side of the image at the edge there was a Green line going all the way down. It was there through the whole movie. What is this? How can I get rid of it? Is it the projector or the DVD?
post #4992 of 5082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisx510 View Post

Ran into a problem last night with the RS20. I was watching a DVD (Leap Year) and on the right side of the image at the edge there was a Green line going all the way down. It was there through the whole movie. What is this? How can I get rid of it? Is it the projector or the DVD?

Is that the only DVD it does that on? If "yes", I'd say it was the DVD.
post #4993 of 5082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisx510 View Post

Ran into a problem last night with the RS20. I was watching a DVD (Leap Year) and on the right side of the image at the edge there was a Green line going all the way down. It was there through the whole movie. What is this? How can I get rid of it? Is it the projector or the DVD?

Hi Chris

Unluckly a very few number of DVDs are "coded" this way and the major part of displays let you see all the extra border of the image.

In RS20 you can act both managing the overscan features, for those few titles, and/or the border masking feature in the RS20 menĂ¹.

Anyway, the best way is to own a projection screen with the masking feature so you can move a bit only the side where appears the extra line and mask it without cut simmetrically all the other sides of the image ...

I still remember my copy of Shrek 2 special edition Dvd with an extra Cyan vertical line on the right side of screen .....

Luckly, at now, I never seen any BD with this issue (own 750 titles )
post #4994 of 5082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlander_AVS View Post

Hi Chris

Unluckly a very few number of DVDs are "coded" this way and the major part of displays let you see all the extra border of the image.

In RS20 you can act both managing the overscan features, for those few titles, and/or the border masking feature in the RS20 menĂ¹.

Anyway, the best way is to own a projection screen with the masking feature so you can move a bit only the side where appears the extra line and mask it without cut simmetrically all the other sides of the image ...

I still remember my copy of Shrek 2 special edition Dvd with an extra Cyan vertical line on the right side of screen .....

Luckly, at now, I never seen any BD with this issue (own 750 titles )

You were suppose to tell him it was the projector, a fatal flaw, and that he needed to sell the unit for cheap and buy something newer. How else are we gonna get deals if we don't advise accordingly?
post #4995 of 5082
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18628239 View Post

You were suppose to tell him it was the projector, a fatal flaw, and that he needed to sell the unit for cheap and buy something newer. How else are we gonna get deals if we don't advise accordingly?

LOL !

RS20 is still a great machine !

The only one for which I replaced it , was for my actual HD990 !
The best projector ever owned !

Sincerely ....
post #4996 of 5082
Thanks guys!

RS20 is a great machine! I'll probably upgrade to a RS35/990 this spring or a LED projector.. Looking forward to see what is coming out at CEDIA!
post #4997 of 5082
Rumors "says" that JVC will goes 3D this year ....
I'm not interested very much in 3D .... anyway will upgrade anyway due it's new flagship will be reported to have a stellar native contrast ( rumors about 200.000:1 ) ....
Lens will be back centered in the machine front panel ... ( like the old RS2)

I'll look forward

P.S. Unluckly, I've still no report about Led implementation in short times for this season ...
post #4998 of 5082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlander_AVS View Post

. . . it's new flagship will be reported to have a stellar native contrast ( rumors about 200.000:1 )

There were lots of rumors like that last year too. I'll believe it when I see it.
post #4999 of 5082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlander_AVS View Post

( rumors about 200.000:1 ) ....

That's all it is.
post #5000 of 5082
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryB_UK View Post

That's all it is.

Yeah ..

From 3D side, seems to be official the presence of the internal function to render 2D contents to 3D

Obviously, I would have prefered a LED machine implemetation like priority .....
post #5001 of 5082
Highlander,

Where are you getting your information and what else is rumored?
post #5002 of 5082
Hi ..

No more else at now ....

from an insider of the pro italian division

Greetings
post #5003 of 5082


I have read these forums for years, and used them to help me in finally pulling the trigger last year on a high end Projector (RS20). Ive never once posted a message here, but after recent probelms, I felt the need to post. I've been having a problem with my JVC RS20. I've owned it for exactly 13 months. The projector replaced a OPTOMA H78DC3. My initial reaction to the projector was that while the color and image was a definite upgrade to my Optoma, the brighteness was not that huge of an improvement, even at the bulbs highest setting. My projector is mounted in a basement with no windows and is completely light controlled.

About a month ago, while watching a BLU RAY DVD the picture started turning red for a few seconds before returning to normal. At first I thought it might be the source signal or the HDMI cable. The problem was sporadic at first. However it eventually got to the point where it happened on a much more frequent basis. I contacted Jason Turk at AVS and his opinion was to send the unit off for repair. To insure the unit properly and ship it off to the nearest JVC repair center, it cost over $100.00 JVC had the unit for almost an entire month. When I got the unit back, I was checking the settings, and they had completely wiped out all of the calibration settings that Jason Turk had made. Thats $225.00 down the drain. I also noticed that the hours on the bulb went from 448 hrs to 788. Thats well over 325 hours added to the bulb. Thats almost 1 year of viewing at my current rate of use. I understand that they need to test the unit, but 325 hours of testing?

When I contacted JVC about the additional hours they simply took my information down and opened up a trouble ticket. Its been two weeks and still no response. I'm sure they will tell me that the additional hours are a glitch or something, but if the hours were reset to zero, that would be more believable, than the settings advancing 325 hours. The repair report had no mention of the exact problem other than JVC replaced a board on the unit. When I called to find out what was wrong, it simply stated that they had to replace a board, and that the repair cost including labor was $900.00 Luckily the unit was still under warranty. I have had the unit back for only 2 weeks, and after about 10 hours of viewing, the same problem is occuring again. Now I dont now if I simply have a lemon, or what, but I dont believe that the $6000.00 I spent on this unit is worth any where near the cost with this ind of reliability or service. The image is very good while watching movies, but for sports there is a very noticible blur. And if this recent problem with the screen turning red, can not be repaired, then it is definitely not worth the cost. If the JVC repair center cant even fix the problem, then I am left with $6000.00 worth of junk. I wish I could trade this lemon in, but I doubt AVS will want to take it back, even if the unit only was used sparingly over the past year.

I'm reading up now on other projectors, Sony BRAVIA VPL-VW85, Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 8500UB, Mitsubishi HC6800. I've also had others tell me to look at the new JVC RS25, because it has frame interpolation, but after such terrible luck with the RS20, im not sure I want to risk another JVC purchase. For now, I will have to send my RS20 in for repair again, and who knows how long i will be without it this time? They will probably test it again and put another 300 hours on the bulb, all with out any real reason to believe it will even be fixed properly this time. The warranty only has 11 more months on it, and all repairs after that point will be at my cost. The reason I spent the money on a high end projector was because I assumed buying a name brand high end projector would be a good investment, and I wouldnt have to deal with problems such as this.

What irks me the most is the additional hours put on a 400.00 bulb, and the fact the the experts couldnt even fix the unit. At this point I am wishing I had purchased a $2700.00 Epson with frame interpolation. It came eith an extra bulb, high light output, and the FI would have made sports viewing much better. and all at a much lower cost than the RS20. I would like to know if anyone else has had similar problems with their RS20 and this red screen of death, or has anyone had similar problems after sending their units to JVC for repair? Having so many hours used to test the unit? It would have been nice if JVC would have replaced the bulb after putting so many hours on it.
post #5004 of 5082
Koenigge, sorry to hear about the situation. Question: Are you sure you got back the same projector (serial number)? How about the same lamp (no way of really telling, though)?

I agree that it shouldn't have taken anyone 300 hours of lamp use (equivalent to 12.5 days of continuous use), and JVC needs to own up on this aspect. And since the problem is occurring again, I wonder if JVC was lost as to what the exact problem was and decided to play process of eliminate through the framework of spinning your wheels until it becomes out of warranty.

I would think that if JVC couldn't fix the unit they'd give you another one, but then again I do not have any experience in this facet of JVC. It definitely causes one to pause for concern.
post #5005 of 5082
Koenigge,
I didn't have the problem that you describe. I sent mine in for what turned out to be a power supply problem. They fixed everything but the bulb time was set back to "0". The calibration that Jeff "UMR" did was also good but I had to re-set all of the user controls back to what Jeff had written down in his cal. handout. It's been approx. 4 months and everything is still good.

Ken
post #5006 of 5082
Did you try other sources/cables to make sure it was the projector first? Does the problem happen on other sources too? Did you move the blu ray player to another display to see if the problem happens there?

Not that it does you any good now but you should always save your calibration settings before you send it in for service or update firmware and also your serial number. I think your AVS receipt may have the serial number on it. Also, your warranty card may have it if you want to make sure it is the same projector.

JVC has a guaranteed 72 hour turn around time on repairs so I'm surprised it took a month. I definitely would have complained about that. http://support.jvc.com/consumer/supp...erviceform.pdf
post #5007 of 5082
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18628239 View Post

Koenigge, sorry to hear about the situation. Question: Are you sure you got back the same projector (serial number)? How about the same lamp (no way of really telling, though)?

I agree that it shouldn't have taken anyone 300 hours of lamp use (equivalent to 12.5 days of continuous use), and JVC needs to own up on this aspect. And since the problem is occurring again, I wonder if JVC was lost as to what the exact problem was and decided to play process of eliminate through the framework of spinning your wheels until it becomes out of warranty.

I would think that if JVC couldn't fix the unit they'd give you another one, but then again I do not have any experience in this facet of JVC. It definitely causes one to pause for concern.

Yeah I checked to make sure it was the same Projector. I'm trying not to be too upset over the whole situation, but when you spend 6000.00 you expect to get what you are paying for.

I dont now if the lamps the same, because I didnt remove the lamp before shipping it and writing down the lamp S/N. Whats funny about the whole problem with the projector is that JVC never asked me for the photos I took that show the problem. So I'm going to assume that just based upon my description, they eitehr knew what was wrong, or they have had similar problems with this or other JVC projectors.

I'm almost certain that they wont own up to the descrpency in the hours. It wil be interesting to hear how they explain that the lamp hours increased that much. You would think if they had simply reset settings on the projector the lamp hours would be less, not an odd increase such as 325 hours?

But we all know how these big companies work. Some of them never want to be accountable for their products. What they dont understand is that when they treat customers poorly, then word of mouth spreads, and they not only lose current customers, but also lose potential future customers. If they make this right, I will be the first to tell everyone I now that JVC is a great company and I will recommend their projectors to everyone. However if they screw me over, I wil be telling a completely different story.

I do fear that i might get the run around over the next 1o months until my warranty expires and then i will have to pay for repairs on my own.

As far as AVS is concerned, so far I am completely satisfied with them. Jason Turk has always responded ot any questions that I have. I've never had to wait more than 24 hours for a reply from him.

The probelm is that AVS policy does not cover replacing the unit. I would be happy to have a replacement unit or even upgrade to the RS25 if I got a fair exchange for my RS20.

My main reason for writing my problem on this forum is to forwarn, others about my experience with the JVC repair center. About having my caibrations reset. About the large increase in hours on my lamp. Even though my projector is 13 months old, it was used sparingly at best. Movie nights on weekends with the family and occassional sports viewing. The 4888 hours I put onit its probably what most users put on a projector in 90 days. A 6000.00 projector shouldnt fail after 488 hours of use.
post #5008 of 5082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensmith48 View Post

Koenigge,
I didn't have the problem that you describe. I sent mine in for what turned out to be a power supply problem. They fixed everything but the bulb time was set back to "0". The calibration that Jeff "UMR" did was also good but I had to re-set all of the user controls back to what Jeff had written down in his cal. handout. It's been approx. 4 months and everything is still good.

Ken

Thats what doesnt make sense ot me ken. From most comments I've read in the past few weeks, thats what normally happens. They reset the settings, and people lose all of their calibrations. And the bulbs are alwasy reset to zero. To have mine increase to from 488 to 778 tells me that the projector was ran to test teh repair. But they werent smart enough to reset it to zero so that I wouldnt know how many hours it was tested.

I will keep everyone posted on what JVC does to recify the situation.

I spent 24 years in the Air Force, and I dealt with customers from all over the world. I've never had anyone treat a customer with the lac of respect that JVC is currently treatig me. I am withholding final judgement until I see exactly what they do to fix the problem. At this point I am out a 225.00 calibration, I have had a years worth of hours added to my projector, I had to spend close to 125.00 for insurance and shipping, which i will have to pay again to send it bac to JVC, and all without any warm fuzzy that it will be fixed.

JVC needs to hire people like Jason Turk. people who stand behind their word, and people who make things right when they fail.
post #5009 of 5082
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlittlejeans View Post

Did you try other sources/cables to make sure it was the projector first? Does the problem happen on other sources too? Did you move the blu ray player to another display to see if the problem happens there?

Not that it does you any good now but you should always save your calibration settings before you send it in for service or update firmware and also your serial number. I think your AVS receipt may have the serial number on it. Also, your warranty card may have it if you want to make sure it is the same projector.

JVC has a guaranteed 72 hour turn around time on repairs so I'm surprised it took a month. I definitely would have complained about that. http://support.jvc.com/consumer/supp...erviceform.pdf

Yes I tried a different receiver, and different cables as well. Also i still own the Optoma H78DCS and I used it for the month that my RS20 was at the JVC repair center. Never once did I have a problem with the Optoma. I had the problem with teh JVC when i used a direct TV box, a PS3 and with a Toshiba HDTV DVD player. So I'm certain the problem wasnt the source. Using different cables ensured it wasnt the cables.

I did check the S/N to ensure it was the same unit. Luckily I had wrote that information down before sending it in.

Yes in hindsight, I know now to save any settings. However that only applies to user settings. Any user that has a professional calibration where they go into the service menus will lose those. so be forewarned.
post #5010 of 5082
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOENIGGE View Post

Thats what doesnt make sense ot me ken. From most comments I've read in the past few weeks, thats what normally happens. They reset the settings, and people lose all of their calibrations. And the bulbs are alwasy reset to zero. To have mine increase to from 488 to 778 tells me that the projector was ran to test teh repair. But they werent smart enough to reset it to zero so that I wouldnt know how many hours it was tested.

I will keep everyone posted on what JVC does to recify the situation.

I spent 24 years in the Air Force, and I dealt with customers from all over the world. I've never had anyone treat a customer with the lac of respect that JVC is currently treatig me. I am withholding final judgement until I see exactly what they do to fix the problem. At this point I am out a 225.00 calibration, I have had a years worth of hours added to my projector, I had to spend close to 125.00 for insurance and shipping, which i will have to pay again to send it bac to JVC, and all without any warm fuzzy that it will be fixed.

JVC needs to hire people like Jason Turk. people who stand behind their word, and people who make things right when they fail.

The hours only get reset when the component that has the hours logged is replaced. I think it is in the optical block and not the control board, but not sure. Calibration settings like any settings should be recorded somewhere in case someone changes the settings.... Most factory repairs require the display to be reset to factory settings for analysis and testing. Bulbs age more by turning on and off than they do by leaving them on. Bulbs also last/work for well over 2000 hours. There are some who bought the JVC, wanting a light canon and choose to replace the bulb every few hundred hours because they want a bright picture...... personal preference..... If the optical block is replaced, you're starting over, there is nothing that can be done about previous calibrations, everything in the light path has changed......

Document and photograph your problem and send it with the projector. They may have put the hours on your projector trying to find the problem, get the problem to appear..... then they would reasonably run the projector to see if it repeats......

Jason offers/provides AVS buyers, low prices, great customer service and return/replacement benefits a low volume reseller, such as myself, cannot afford. There is little, to no, profit in selling one or two projectors at the competitive prices internet shoppers demand. Factory warranty only, is what most get, unless the unit is defective OOTB, and rightly so. Those who pay full retail+, usually do so for the personal service, 30-90day returns, etc.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP › Official JVC RS20/HD750 Owners Thread!