Just the other day, I had again some bad luck with one of my Olive's. It had played some music without a hickup, but suddenly the sound was paused several times, and Olive Opus showed I/O errors.Refreshing Maestro and Opus yielded in 404 not available messages, and the screen itself did not react anymore.
I restarted the unit, but it did not reach the start screen with the green Olive logo.
By examining the disk, I saw that the boot-flag was missing from sda2. Normally the second partion has this flag marked, so I gave it the flag back, and by Jovis, it started up again!
I stil wonder how it could have been damaged, in the midst of playing some music, but I guess, I will never know.
Having opened my 'production' Olive, I thought it being time to feed it with the rips of last month, most of the Mercury Living Presence cd box I had bought recently. Routinely I checked the partitions of my work Olive, and repaired sda1 again. The other partitions did not show errors, but the first always does.
I had done this before, but now my work Olive did not start anymore (!?).
I had not seen this behaviour before, and maybe it has something to do with the recent updates 4.1.7, .8 or .9. For sure the first partition contains some 'secrets' from Olive, which makes it difficult to clone the disk.
None of my old tricks to overcome the problem succeeded.
So, I reverted to the official Olive recovery procedure. Now my pc is copying the data from one of my backups onto a working version of a recovered Olive disk, while I still have the original, not booting disk untouched. It started last night at 23h and it will be ready at 21h, that means it takes 22 hours to copy all the music.
But in my opinion, it should be necessary to copy just the first partition with the secrets, a very small job. The intelligent disk copiers I know of, all want to repair the filesystem before copying.
Again, i will have to study the old life-savers dd, ddrescue, or dd_rescue. So far my newest experience.
In short, an open Olive does not show an open