Updates - Olive File Structures for non- Linux Experts
I recently had two (very quick response time - same day) replies from Olive regarding the new Olive ONE device, which I contributed modestly towards (a gift certificate to be applied to a future purchase). I spend a couple of hours early Saturday looking this over.
- The new OS is not compatible with the older units, but they still plan an upgrade path for the 06HD (probably moved out to 2014)
- They recommended copying the Olive data base using XBMC and then from XBMC porting it to the Olive ONE. They pointed to an older post: on this forum:
"regarding music transfer from your O6HD: You can simply copy the music from your Olive Music Server to your PC/MAC via XBMC and from there to your ONE.
To copy files from your Olive music server to a PC/Mac please follow the instructions in the forum:
Olive ONE Team"
So , there have been numerous postings on how this works.
- Bascially - on older units (Opus) XBMC does not get the metadata, and the solutions require some expertise with SQL lite.
- With the new database (software 4.20 and later, sorry OPUS users), XBMC can see everything on the Olive correctly, with correct metadata (so-called ID3 tags)
- When copying these files using XBMC versions later than 10.1, file extensions are lost - i.e. song_name.flac becomes song_name
- Version 10.1 does not on work with the Mac OSX system.
So, since we have MACs at home, and since further I wanted to use the latest version of XBMC, what to do? I also still wanted to see if there was a way to create a back-up of the music that could be independent of the Olive.
There are two solutions I found, both relatively easy.
I call solution 1 - Fast, non-Human Readable - the Olive back-up files when directly accessed have names like CD08AAF2345, within that appears track01.flac, track02.flac and so forth.
Solution 2, of course, is Slow, Human Readable. Here CD's have the album name and tracks are fully titled.
Solution 1. The Olive back-up hard drive, which is EXT3 filesystem (i.e. Linux) can be mounted using a Linux 'interpreter' which is a free shareware program. On the Mac the prevalent tool is called 'OSXFuse', which works just fine. Once the disk is mounted (install Fuse and just plug the drive into a USB port, it is transparent at that point), you can see the file structure as above (CD012FE56, etc.). However, and this important, all the metadata is there. Thus when you scan the files into XBMC (creating an XBMC library database pointing back to the mounted hard drive where the actual data is, you will see all the full names, artists, album artwork etc. Of course, the external drive needs to be mounted to play the files.
(see the post from Rouquemoute on 21 July 2012 for a detailed Windows version of this)
Solution 2. XBMC can read the Olive over the network as a UPnP device. This is human readable, but again, using the XBMC file transfer function, files are copied without extensions (.flac, .wav is dropped). So the copied files do not play automatically, but if renamed to add back the .flac they are just fine with all metadata. The file copy is slow, and I would do it in blocks to avoid crashes.
3. As far as I can tell, all metadata edits done with Maestro are there, but I have only looked at a small subset of albums while trying this out. Maestro is basically an ID3 tag editor, good although excrutiatingly slow.
get another portable drive, use the UpnP solution to create a readable file structure, then use a utility built into the MAC OS called 'automator' which is ideal for batch edits. It is pretty easy to give automator a large number of folders and tell it to add .flac to every filename in the folders. At this point you can play the files anywhere.
Further: I am looking for a good ID3 tag editor for MACs. There are some nice ones for Windows (example: pa-software, $15) but not yet ready for OSX. I tried MediaMonkey on a PC using my small sample of copied albums, but found the artwork files it found to be poor and often mismatched. Olive does a much better job in my opinion. Mediamonkey did not actually update the tag, but created its own library of tags pointing to tags. So, I dropped MediaMonkey. maybe I did something wrong.
XBMC uses 'scrapers' to scour databases for album artwork, but they seem geared more for video, and I haven't had the time to figure these out yet. Not clear if this will update ID3 tags anyway.Edited by clpetersen - 7/1/13 at 8:03pm