or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Audio theory, Setup and Chat › Whats better 12awg or 14awg wire?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Whats better 12awg or 14awg wire?

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 
what speaker wire is better 12 gauge or 14 gauge and does this look like a good sub wire replacement http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...eq=1&format=2?
post #2 of 12
Quote:


what speaker wire is better 12 gauge or 14 gauge

Neither, for runs of less than a few dozen feet.
post #3 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnarus View Post

Neither, for runs of less than a few dozen feet.

ya its gonna be run at least 20ft or more...and idk if that sub cable is the right kind to buy either
post #4 of 12
Sub cable is fine. 14AWG is fine.
post #5 of 12
12 gauge. Bigger is better. But how far are you going, what are you powering? You may not need it.
post #6 of 12
@ 20 - 30' 14 AWG is adequate. I'd assume he's powering speakers.

Bigger may be "better", but not always necessary.
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post

I'd assume he's powering speakers.

Bigger may be "better", but not always necessary.

Agree. Thus what he's powering, and that was intended about the speaker impedance. The two main variables are distance, and the impedance you're driving. Really low impedance, or long distance and you need a very large gauge wire, which is why in very large distributed audio systems it's usually a constant voltage system with transformers at each speaker since it's way more efficient that way and you're not forced to run absurdly large gauge wire everywhere.
post #8 of 12
You should notice right away if it's quality wire wheather it's 14-12 gauge.

It should have more strans witch in turn are softer and much thinner then cheap stuff.

This provides a lower resisistents and thats what your paying for. In return your amp won't work as hard resulting in a cooler running amp
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by RXPorlando View Post

You should notice right away if it's quality wire wheather it's 14-12 gauge.

It should have more strans witch in turn are softer and much thinner then cheap stuff.

This provides a lower resisistents and thats what your paying for. In return your amp won't work as hard resulting in a cooler running amp

As far as i know, strands only assist in flexibility.
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrod1937 View Post

As far as i know, strands only assist in flexibility.

Totally agreed. Wire gauge is based on the cross sectional area of copper. Conductivity is based on the same.

Contrary to popular belief, stranding does not have much to do with the ability of wire to handle high frequencies. And, high frequency signal handling such as it may be affected by wire, is not an issue in the lengths of cable commonly used in home audio systems, or even within a house.
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrod1937 View Post

As far as i know, strands only assist in flexibility.


Agreed, and by implication resistance to breaking. However, cable breakage is primarily determined by how strain is relieved at bending points.
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWiggles View Post

The two main variables are distance, and the impedance you're driving. Really low impedance, or long distance and you need a very large gauge wire,

Yup. And typically, most home speakers are rated at 8 Ohms. Most receivers/amps are rated to drive 8 Ohms (or 6 Ohms based on how the manufacturer wants to enhance their specs). The impedance rating is an "average" and not a constant. Impedance can/does change depending on the the driven signal(s).
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Audio theory, Setup and Chat
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Audio theory, Setup and Chat › Whats better 12awg or 14awg wire?