or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › 'Leverage' on TNT HD
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

'Leverage' on TNT HD - Page 3

post #61 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by sangs View Post

It's dumb, predictable, has pilfered material from "The A-Team" to "McGyver" to whatever the hell the name of that show was with the old guy working solo who made things right for people and did I mention predictable?

But you know what? I love it! In fact, I enjoy it so much, the stretch-o-vision mistake didn't even bother me this week (and I did notice it). The cast is enjoyable, the women are smokin', the dialogue makes me laugh and it's an hour I can just sit back and enjoy.

I'm so glad that lighter serious fare like Leverage, Burn Notice and In Plain Sight is doing well. It's such a welcome relief from the twisted, frequently mind-numbing plotlines dominating other more "sophisticated" shows. COUGH - Lost - COUGH - BSG - COUGH - 24 - COUGH, COUGH, COUGH - Heroes. Not that I don't - or didn't - enjoy those other shows (aside from the woefully overrated BSG and the creative demise of Heroes) - just that it's nice having watchable alternatives.

+1! Leverage is a refreshing, if lightweight, change from the deadly serious, COUGH, COUGH, shows mentioned above. There is nothing wrong with a drama that is liberally laced with humor, especially when the cast is talented and charming, and the writing is sharp.
post #62 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by sangs View Post

(...) whatever the hell the name of that show was with the old guy working solo who made things right for people and did I mention predictable?

The Equalizer...
post #63 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnesia View Post

The Equalizer...

Bingo! Thanks man, that was bugging me.
post #64 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by sangs View Post

I'm so glad that lighter serious fare like Leverage, Burn Notice and In Plain Sight is doing well. It's such a welcome relief from the twisted, frequently mind-numbing plotlines dominating other more "sophisticated" shows. COUGH - Lost - COUGH - BSG - COUGH - 24 - COUGH, COUGH, COUGH - Heroes. Not that I don't - or didn't - enjoy those other shows (aside from the woefully overrated BSG and the creative demise of Heroes) - just that it's nice having watchable alternatives.

TV is chock full to the brim of the "lighter" stuff. Every crime procedural that solves that week's murder(s) nice & neatly in 42 minutes complete with red herrings leading to each act-out and the final triumphant revelation of the good guy(s) at the end. Booorrrrringgggg. I've often said that if aliens were to try to observe earth culture from American TV, they would conclude that a quarter of all our citizens were murdering serial killers, another quarter would be cops, forensics personnel, and psychics going after them, with the other half desperately trying to get on a reality show (which also contributes to the overflowing bucket of "lighter" stuff).

Me, I'm glad there are a precious few "heavier" shows out there like LOST and BSG (BSG overrated? Not hardly. Where, then, are the Emmys for Best Drama it should have won one or two of by now? Not hidden behind the richly deserved Peabody Award it did win in that category - guess the Peabody voters didn't get the "overrated" memo). 'Damages' is another well-constructed complex serialized drama that challenges the viewer instead of pandering to the lowest common denominator. We just lost 'The Shield' and 'The Wire', which also fell into the "heavy" category. In fact, LOST is the only cerebral serialzed drama left on the entire broadcast band ('Heroes' has had its "heavy" card revoked; it's not even a good cartoon anymore). T:SCC is a well done example of the genre, if anyone would bother to watch it. No sirree, we need more "heavy" and less "light", just like Oprah's weight, to balance the scales just a little.
post #65 of 185
Thread Starter 
i have to say, I just watched last weeks episode and I really liked it.
post #66 of 185
I don't consider all the CSI clones to be light - I consider them to be crap, which is why I didn't group them in this category. The difference between them and shows like "Leverage" are night and day. That's why I'm happy to have good lighter fare, instead of the crap clones. I have high hopes for the new TNT show "Trust Me" as well.

I don't mind heavy. The shows you mentioned, I like them all (except - and let me reiterate - the woefully overrated BSG. I think critics took a vow to genuflect whenever they write or read those three letters). Very sad to see "The Wire" and "The Shield" go and completely agree with your Heroes critique. And I gave Terminator SCC six weeks in its first season before giving up on it. I've heard it improved, but never went back.

Did enjoy the Oprah dig btw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrouchoDude View Post

TV is chock full to the brim of the "lighter" stuff. Every crime procedural that solves that week's murder(s) nice & neatly in 42 minutes complete with red herrings leading to each act-out and the final triumphant revelation of the good guy(s) at the end. Booorrrrringgggg. I've often said that if aliens were to try to observe earth culture from American TV, they would conclude that a quarter of all our citizens were murdering serial killers, another quarter would be cops, forensics personnel, and psychics going after them, with the other half desperately trying to get on a reality show (which also contributes to the overflowing bucket of "lighter" stuff).

Me, I'm glad there are a precious few "heavier" shows out there like LOST and BSG (BSG overrated? Not hardly. Where, then, are the Emmys for Best Drama it should have won one or two of by now? Not hidden behind the richly deserved Peabody Award it did win in that category - guess the Peabody voters didn't get the "overrated" memo). 'Damages' is another well-constructed complex serialized drama that challenges the viewer instead of pandering to the lowest common denominator. We just lost 'The Shield' and 'The Wire', which also fell into the "heavy" category. In fact, LOST is the only cerebral serialzed drama left on the entire broadcast band ('Heroes' has had its "heavy" card revoked; it's not even a good cartoon anymore). T:SCC is a well done example of the genre, if anyone would bother to watch it. No sirree, we need more "heavy" and less "light", just like Oprah's weight, to balance the scales just a little.
post #67 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by sangs View Post

I don't consider all the CSI clones to be light - I consider them to be crap, which is why I didn't group them in this category. The difference between them and shows like "Leverage" are night and day. That's why I'm happy to have good lighter fare, instead of the crap clones.

I agree. I dumped most of the CSI shows long ago but stuck with CSI: Miami because of how beautiful it is. Nevertheless, I recently cancelled my season pass to it, too. I got tired of David Caruso's posturing and the utter lack of talent of most of the rest of the cast. In refreshing contrast, Leverage has charming performers who don't overact and actually have talent.
post #68 of 185
Well TNT got their act together and presented Leverage back how it should be, not the stretch-O-Vision 2.35 of last week.
post #69 of 185
Thread Starter 
besides the bad CG plane landing, last nights episode was great.
post #70 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I agree. I dumped most of the CSI shows long ago but stuck with CSI: Miami because of how beautiful it is. Nevertheless, I recently cancelled my season pass to it, too. I got tired of David Caruso's posturing and the utter lack of talent of most of the rest of the cast. In refreshing contrast, Leverage has charming performers who don't overact and actually have talent.

Yeah, but for me, part of the charm of CSI: Miami is Caruso's overacting, which, I think, is intentional -- he never used to do that on NYPD Blue. Everytime he appears out of nowhere without making a sound, I say, "Batman!" It cracks me up; plus, I love looking at Emily (?) Proctor, even with the lip injections. My favorite line this year, so far, was in episode one; my kids and I repeat it everytime we see something obvious: here's Horatio at the crime scene; he sees a broken clock; "Frank...that clock...is broken." Duh! I love it. The only sad thing is that his corny one-liners before the credit song have been few and far between this year.
post #71 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKing75 View Post

Well TNT got their act together and presented Leverage back how it should be, not the stretch-O-Vision 2.35 of last week.

At first I thought they screwed up again, then 5 seconds later I realized I was set on the wrong AR. Thank god. That fisheye crap has got to go.
post #72 of 185
LMAO at "Peter Davidson, Sylvester McCoy, and Tom Baker", even if they did steal the style of the gag from Supernatural.
post #73 of 185
I'm digging the show as well. I really like the fight coordinator. Both the kitchen knife fight from the wedding ep and the bathroom stall fight in the plane ep were very well done. A little too much reliance on magic computer deus ex machinas, but I'll overlook that as there is not a single show that doesn't have that problem.
post #74 of 185
I like the show overall. It has its cheezy moments but it's entertaining.
post #75 of 185
The rightful bronze medal winner of the luge: "Vat is dis!" Funny as hell.
post #76 of 185
No comments about last night's episode, thought it was another good one. Loved the group therapy sessions, especially the guy that mumbled and everyone understood him, except Tom. We're getting a lot more Parker lately. I've been on board totally since about the 3rd or 4th ep.

I don't remember if it's been mentioned in the thread, but it's been renewed for a second season. .
post #77 of 185
This show is TNT crap at it's finest!
post #78 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebkell View Post

No comments about last night's episode, thought it was another good one. Loved the group therapy sessions, especially the guy that mumbled and everyone understood him, except Tom. We're getting a lot more Parker lately. I've been on board totally since about the 3rd or 4th ep.

I don't remember if it's been mentioned in the thread, but it's been renewed for a second season. .

I love the show, too and am delighted to hear that it has been renewed. It's very funny, particularly some of the one liners the gang deliver to each other. I thought that the guy playing the fat con man was a hoot. I wouldn't mind seeing more of him.
post #79 of 185
"Chileans. Never mess with Chileans." Great episode. It has become one of my favorite shows. Glad to see it's coming back next year, although I wish they'd change nights. There is so much to see on Mondays that I just don't have the time or DVR capability to record them all. I still haven't seen that new show on TNT, what is it called, Trust Me or something like that? And more shows that I want to see will soon be on Monday, making it even harder for me. Sheesh, how about a few more good shows on Wednesday nights, folks.
post #80 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by petesimac View Post

There is so much to see on Mondays that I just don't have the time or DVR capability to record them all. I still haven't seen that new show on TNT, what is it called, Trust Me or something like that? And more shows that I want to see will soon be on Monday, making it even harder for me. Sheesh, how about a few more good shows on Wednesday nights, folks.

The show you are talking about is Lie to Me and it is, indeed, a good new show. As bad as Monday night's are, Wednesdays are also so crowded that I have to use 2 DVRs with 2 tuners each to get everything I want to see. For example, from 8:00 to 9:00 last night I had all 4 tuners recording separate programs.
post #81 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

The show you are talking about is Lie to Me and it is, indeed, a good new show. As bad as Monday night's are, Wednesdays are also so crowded that I have to use 2 DVRs with 2 tuners each to get everything I want to see. For example, from 8:00 to 9:00 last night I had all 4 tuners recording separate programs.

I thought Lie to Me was the new FOX show; I'm talking about the advertising guys, the one from Will and Grace and JD's brother on Scrubs -- sorry, I can never remember names. It's on TNT.
post #82 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by petesimac View Post

I thought Lie to Me was the new FOX show; I'm talking about the advertising guys, the one from Will and Grace and JD's brother on Scrubs -- sorry, I can never remember names. It's on TNT.

Trust Me is the show you're talking about, it's pretty good too.
post #83 of 185
liked this episode,liked ginas'outfits.
post #84 of 185
Anybody that missed any episode or would like to give Leverage a try, there is an all day marathon on Tuesday leading up to the season finale at 10:00 pm. The marathon starts at 10:00 am Eastern, I'm pretty sure the marathon will show the entire 13 episode season, they don't appear to be in the order aired, but most of the episodes are pretty much standalone.
post #85 of 185
I'm gonna miss this show, the previews said it would return in the summer, so that's good news.
post #86 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by dm145 View Post

as i said earlier this show reminds me of the BBC series Hustle, i now give my sincere appoligies to the makers of hustle

this series is cheesey at best
i doubt it will be renewed

I've been watching Hustle from Netflix and love it. That girl is just so sexy, she was on Dexter season 2. They seem to make some excellent TV shows over there but the American version isn't that bad. The characters kind of grow on you.
post #87 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebkell View Post

I'm gonna miss this show, the previews said it would return in the summer, so that's good news.

I agree. I thought the season finale was outstanding. I'm anxious for the gang to return. It's the rare episode that doesn't provide several laugh-out-loud moments.
post #88 of 185
Decent episode tonight, glad it's back. If you missed it, only one more showing for this week's episode and it's at 11:00pm EDT tonight, so if you missed it, only one more chance according to my listings.
post #89 of 185
Looks like there is some confidence behind the series too, since they finally got an opening credits sequence!

I have to say... this is a show that I did NOT have any interest in last season when I saw the marketing/promos for it... but when I accidentally caught an episode I was hooked, and caught them all last season when they ran a marathon one day.

This is a MUCH better show than it is getting promoted as being... if you don't already watch it, I'm not sure the full effect of it comes through on those promo spots.

Some clever plots and witty dialog, and a cast that really seems to have good chemistry together.
post #90 of 185
Yup, it's a fun show, nothing too serious. I like all the characters and they really seemed to have meshed more now.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Programming
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › 'Leverage' on TNT HD