or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Terminator Salvation - Page 11

post #301 of 372
With the exception of a few VERY well done moments in SCC, it was otherwise mired in various pedantic themes like mother-son issues, mother-girlfriend issues, women's interest issues, boyfriend-girlfriend issues, seductive robot issues, with some Terminator mythology sprinkled in throughout, played by a cast seemingly constructed to be the "dysfunctional" Dawson's Creek. I enjoyed the series as much as the next guy, but to say it is comparable or even superior to TS in dramatics and character development?...let's just say I have no idea where you coming from on that.
post #302 of 372
I went into this film with low expectations, and was entertained for the most part. As others have mentioned, the pearly white teeth took me out of it a bit, what the Resistance have dental surgeons all over? I didn't particular care much for John Connor himself, not that Bale did a bad job but I didn't care much about him. I liked Sam Worthington's character,though I clued into him well before the fact( you know what I mean).
post #303 of 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonyeuw View Post

I went into this film with low expectations, and was entertained for the most part.

That pretty much sums it up for me, as well. If anything, I liked it more than I thought I would. I don't care if it ignored previous things that happened in the other Terminator movies, or whatever it was others were complaining about. Like any other movie, I just want to enjoy watching it, and I did this one. Looking forward to seeing and hearing it on my own system at home.
post #304 of 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post

Looking forward to seeing and hearing it on my own system at home.

I'm with you on this one and if they release it as a director's cut that will be better. Maybe we can see more of the t600 with the plastic mask ( like they appear in a lot of publicity photos ) and some more dialogue that they cut for the theatrical release ( like John Connor talking about the t 800 ).
Here are some scenes that were cut from Salvation :
http://www.terminatorfiles.net/forum...hp?f=31&t=4098
post #305 of 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hanky View Post

With the exception of a few VERY well done moments in TSCC, it was otherwise mired in various pedantic themes like mother-son issues, mother-girlfriend issues, women's interest issues, boyfriend-girlfriend issues, seductive robot issues, with some Terminator mythology sprinkled in throughout, played by a cast seemingly constructed to be the "dysfunctional" Dawson's Creek. I enjoyed the series as much as the next guy, but to say it is comparable or even superior to TS in dramatics and character development?...let's just say I have no idea where you coming from on that.

Terminator Salvation had character development? It seemed more like a special fx demo with Connor constantly yelling. It was entertaining as an action piece, but I didn't care if any single character bit the dust. And yes, TSCC had way better character development, which is to be expected given that it has more time to do so, but TS didn't leave me caring what happened to anyone.

I like when my fantasy has a "human element" and something relatable to make me care more. T4 didn't have that.

When TSCC ended I was left breathless with the twist and the ending wanting more to see what was gonna happen with John Connor, Derek, his mother, Cameron, etc". When TS ended I was like "ok. I guess that was cool. The special fx kicked ass.". I had zero emotional connection in TS, but I definitely very much did with the TSCC. I cared for the characters in TSCC. I cared about no on in TS. It was entertaining though as an action piece; I'll give it that.

I'm kinda shocked that you think TSSC isn't comparable to TS in character development. That's laughable to me, since the biggest flaw in the movie was it had such weak characters and character development, and the series had way more character development. I don't feel like I know the characters in TS at all, but I feel like did in TSCC. That's my personal opinion. I'd say TS wins in special fx dramatics, but that's it.
post #306 of 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTyson View Post

Terminator Salvation had character development? It seemed more like a special fx demo with Connor constantly yelling. It was entertaining as an action piece, but I didn't care if any single character bit the dust. And yes, TSCC had way better character development, which is to be expected given that it has more time to do so, but TS didn't leave me caring what happened to anyone.

I like when my fantasy has "human element" and something relatable to make me care more. T4 didn't have that.

When TSCC ended I was left breathless with the twist and the ending wanting more to see what was gonna happen with Connor, Derek, his mother, Cameron, etc". When TS ended I was like "ok. I guess that was cool. The special fx kicked ass.". I had zero emotional connection in TS, but I definitely very much did with the TSCC. I cared for the character. I cared about no on in TS. It was entertaining though as an action piece. I'll give it that.

I'm kinda shocked that you think TSSC isn't comparable to TS in character development. That's laughable, to me, since the biggest flaw in the movie was it had such weak characters and character development and the series had way more character development. I don't feel like I know the characters in TS at all, but I feel like did in TSCC. That's my personal opinion. I'd say TS wins in special fx dramatics, but that's it.

I agree with all of this except I'm floored that people rave about the SFX in this movie. They weren't Wolverine: Origins bad, but they weren't that spectacular to me either. Whenever it's plainly obvious it's an effect(besides the fact that of course, logically it is), it's not a good effect to me.
post #307 of 372
For those interested in a taste of more "in the trenches" of Judgement Day media, have you checked out the TS Machinima Series? I'm not sure of all the different ways you can download them, but I know they are available for purchase at the Playstation Store (if you have a ps3) for a svelte 99 cts/episode.

It's never going to win any awards for CG productions, but it is an interesting story. I think the deal is that the production is all done with an in-game graphics engine, as opposed to high quality offline rendering. It's like the garageband approach to being a rockstar.

The Blair character seems to really be the prominent figure (no pun intended) in all of this new material of the franchise reboot. She was only a secondary character in SCC, but rose to equal billing in TS, and seems to be taking a lead role in Machinima.

I hope you all check it out (or at least give the 1st episode a shot)!

At the very least it is another interesting example of cross-marketing to tease up interest for the videogame (similar to the Deadspace animated series that preceded the release of the game).
post #308 of 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hanky View Post

The Blair character seems to really be the prominent figure (no pun intended) in all of this new material of the franchise reboot. She was only a secondary character in SCC, but rose to equal billing in TS, and seems to be taking a lead role in Machinima.

The Blair character is not in the Sarah Connor Chronicles.
post #309 of 372
I thought that was that chick that brought Riley back with her from the future? If not, it seems like a carbon copy of that character.
post #310 of 372
Jessie was the one in SCC who brought Riley back from the future. There was some confusion between her and Moon Bloodgood's T:S pilot character since they are both Asian.
post #311 of 372
I think the bottom line for this film, as with the three prior Terminator films, is that it has entertainment value, and also evokes the continuous action and tension that was done so well in T2 and not so well in T3. I place it 3rd in quality after T1 and T2 and will be buying the Blu-Ray. All of the Terminator movies have been re-watchable for me.

I also have to give a thumbs up to the fact that the T4 plotline did not have a heavy dependance upon time travel as a plot device. The best way to deal with the basic time travel paradox is to either acknowledge it and move on, or ignore it completely.
post #312 of 372
Ah, I got Jesse and Blair mixed-up, then! I could have sworn they would have been the same character if the names were not disclosed. Maybe all chicks in the future resistance are walking bad-ass tomboy with a great rack?
post #313 of 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post

That pretty much sums it up for me, as well. If anything, I liked it more than I thought I would. I don't care if it ignored previous things that happened in the other Terminator movies

Ok, I did forget to mention one thing that DID bother me. Why wasn't John Conner...

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
actually the head man in charge? He was treated like a squad leader or something, and that really threw me off. To me, he's always been the savior of humanity's future, not a "team leader" for a squad that answers to the real man in charge......Micheal Ironside. Please, my foreskin has a more serious and commanding presence than he does.

I really wish that part had been done differently, and held more true to the previous terminator movies.
post #314 of 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post

Ok, I did forget to mention one thing that DID bother me. Why wasn't John Conner...

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
actually the head man in charge? He was treated like a squad leader or something, and that really threw me off. To me, he's always been the savior of humanity's future, not a "team leader" for a squad that answers to the real man in charge......Micheal Ironside. Please, my foreskin has a more serious and commanding presence than he does.

I really wish that part had been done differently, and held more true to the previous terminator movies.

Yes, that's true, but
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

The sub gets creamed towards the end and that leaves our hero, JC, to assume the mantle of leader of the world.


Seggers
post #315 of 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by seggers View Post

Yes, that's true, but
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

The sub gets creamed towards the end and that leaves our hero, JC, to assume the mantle of leader of the world.


Seggers

Sure...
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
but, the image I've always had of JC was one of absolute power (since the beginning of the war)with soldiers practically begging to die for him and the war effort because of his incredible leadership abilities.
That just wasn't the case at all for me with Salvation. That really hurt it for me.
post #316 of 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post

Ok, I did forget to mention one thing that DID bother me. Why wasn't John Conner...

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
actually the head man in charge? He was treated like a squad leader or something, and that really threw me off. To me, he's always been the savior of humanity's future, not a "team leader" for a squad that answers to the real man in charge......Micheal Ironside. Please, my foreskin has a more serious and commanding presence than he does.

I really wish that part had been done differently, and held more true to the previous terminator movies.

+1. I wondered the same thing and felt the same way.
post #317 of 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post

Sure...
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
but, the image I've always had of JC was one of absolute power (since the beginning of the war)with soldiers practically begging to die for him and the war effort because of his incredible leadership abilities.
That just wasn't the case at all for me with Salvation. That really hurt it for me.

Just my opinion...

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

I looked at it as if the actions from Salvation is what lead him to become the leader that he supposedly is. It's my understanding that they plan on making another movie around the same timeline, in which then I would expect him to be the almighty JC.
post #318 of 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballen420 View Post

Just my opinion...

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

I looked at it as if the actions from Salvation is what lead him to become the leader that he supposedly is. It's my understanding that they plan on making another movie around the same timeline, in which then I would expect him to be the almighty JC.

This is what you had to take away from the film, but it was weird to see it differently than the way it had been drilled into our heads though the movies and tv show.
post #319 of 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordcloud View Post

but it was weird to see it differently than the way it had been drilled into our heads though the movies and tv show.

That was the problem I had with it. We've only known one type of JC all these years. What Ballen said in his post would work more for people who haven't seen the Terminator movies and aren't SO familiar with the story as some of us are.

EDIT: However, when you think about it, that might really work out better in terms of believability...

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
did some street smart kid just suddenly jump up and shout "I'm in charge!" after the machines rebelled? A storyline that allows him to gradually prove his worth makes a little more sense.
post #320 of 372
While I don't watch TSCC, I'd consider myself fairly knowledgeable with the story line.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

When Kyle Reese comes back through time to save Sarah Connor, he's a grown man. John Connor has had an incredible effect on him, which seems to have begun when he was a kid in Salvation.

He's always known as being the almighty JC, but that usually doesn't happen overnight, and really can't be assumed just because he's communicating with other 'resistance' members at the end of T3.

While I thought the story was lacking a bit in Salvation, in general I felt it was a decent way to kickstart the series in the future.


Just my thought on what they were trying to pull off. It's all about being able to keep that money rolling in from sequels!
post #321 of 372
^ Yeah, I agree with you. It makes more sense that way.
post #322 of 372
i can't wait for this blu ray. hopefully with director's cut on second disc or seamless branching option
sound was AMAZING in the theater (simple dolby digital, and 35mm); tight bass crisp mediums highs. the mix seems marvelous.
excellent 35mm can't imagine in a 3DLP digital theater.
S Worthington steals the show, so does the lady pilot
some REFERENCE scenes that will be played A LOT in our home theaters...
perfect ? no but pleasant surprise, with innovative aerial views and scenes. not easy to renew itself and offer us something different.
$340M at wwide box office, perhaps a fifth some day.
post #323 of 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital2004 View Post

i can't wait for this blu ray. hopefully with director's cut on second disc or seamless branching option
sound was AMAZING in the theater (simple dolby digital, and 35mm); tight bass crisp mediums highs. the mix seems marvelous.
excellent 35mm can't imagine in a 3DLP digital theater.
S Worthington steals the show, so does the lady pilot [IMG]http://www.*****************/trafficreport/img/3721/k09f0423lglc/b.gif[/IMG]
some REFERENCE scenes that will be played A LOT in our home theaters...
perfect ? no but pleasant surprise, with innovative aerial views and scenes. not easy to renew itself and offer us something different.
$340M at wwide box office, perhaps a fifth some day.

Hope they will be what the people expected to. I also can't wait to have one.
post #324 of 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hanky View Post

[IMG]http://www.****************/img/i/P.jpg[/IMG]I thought that was that chick that brought Riley back with her from the future? If not, it seems like a carbon copy of that character. [IMG]http://***************/9/P/i.jpg[/IMG]

I'm so confused reading some of these posts does anyone know if it was 'that chick' who brought riley back from the future?
post #325 of 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by juda View Post

I'm so confused reading some of these posts does anyone know if it was 'that chick' who brought riley back from the future?

Jesse = Character on The Sarah Connor Chronicles. Played by Stephanie Jacobsen.

Blair = Character in Terminator Salvataion. Played by Moon Bloodgood.

Different actress. Different character.
post #326 of 372
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bOFo...eature=related
Harvester attack then the bikes and the ships
reference stuff!
pay particular attention to the sounds created (harverster, ships)
Massive stuff, those with dedicated rooms and big screens
post #327 of 372
THE big disappointment is the soundtrack on cd !
first there's missing parts, the good parts, heard during the movie
this cd is a no no.
in fact Bear McReary (spelling?) did better with SARAH CONNOR's CHRONICLES
post #328 of 372
What a turkey.

I did see it in unsympathetic circumstances (second on the bill in an honest-to-God drive-in movie, complete with people in Adirondack chairs on the back of pickups and obnoxious college-age kids in a fleet of SUVs making way too much noise), but even factoring all those distractions in, it was just a botched conception and execution.

No sort of drive was present in the story, with the two stories with the two heros going about their business. Just as soon as the Marcus character gets some sort of forward motion going in his quest, we switch back to John Connor and his misadventures and the movie grinds to a halt again. Nobody is sympathetic, except the little girl. None of the actors really relate to one another in their scenes, except possibly Bryce Dallas Howard. Little that goes on makes much sense, and big plot points can be easily picked apart. No wonder Chrisian Bale blew up on the set. It had to be obvious to everyone that the picture had lost whatever way it might have appeared to have had when it was originally pitched.

But things blowed up real good, and that obviously counts for a lot these days.
post #329 of 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by juda View Post

I'm so confused reading some of these posts does anyone know if it was 'that chick' who brought riley back from the future?

My remark was only to acknowledge how similar those 2 characters are (as if they are just one). Of course, it is 2 different people, and I was certainly aware that they were played by 2 people in real life. That really makes me wonder, why did they bother introducing a whole new character just for the movie, if they could just build on pretty much an exact duplicate of that character that already exists from SCC. Maybe early casting choices fell through, so with a plan B, but didn't bother rewriting the character into an entirely different one?
post #330 of 372
everything was a disappointment
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home