congrats to those chosen few who are the beta testers (I always wonder how you guys get picked...)
Anyhoo, with those with player in hand:
- Got a DualDisc DVD-A to throw in to see if it'll at least play the DVD layer correctly? (ie., Talking Heads' BRICK)
- Given that it will bitstream TrueHD/DTS-MA, but won't decode it via HDMI, what happens with PIP, profile 1.1 discs where you've got to mix the two soundtracks in order to output? (If I'm not on crack, it works for BD the same as HD DVD, namely, if you set it to bitstream you can't do the two audio layers mixes, so you lose button sounds, PIP audio, etc... At least, during the week I had the Panny '35 and played with bitstream I believe that was part of the fun...)
- For loading times comparable to PS3, could one of you do an actual head-to-head with several disc types (normal menus, heavy JAVA menus, etc.) Again with the Panny I was pleased with loading times, but navigating a disc that was Java intensive (like the seemingly simple menu for "Standard Operating Procedure") proved to completely bog down, at the main menu and especially at the scene selection menu
- Any quirks/interesting bits during SACD playback?
- Is the menu system the same as the 980 (I think the 983 looks the same, no?), or is everything all purdy and HD-ish?
- Are there any media streaming capabilities, or hint thereof?
- Have you performed a FW update yet? Was it done over ethernet?
- (Key question for many
Would you, without hesitation, recommend at this early stage the BD-83 over a PS3 for BD playback?
cheers, and hope you're enjoying films as you test the players for all of our benefit...