or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Recorders › Moxi HD DVR
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Moxi HD DVR - Page 6

post #151 of 6201
Quote:
Originally Posted by teeitup View Post

The Moxi can record two digital channels at the same time and a THIRD analog channel if using the free USB analog tuner adapter.

After posting the above I did jump over to the Moxi site and did see in the FAQ about dual tuner (HD to boot!).

Thanks....

Did not see any reference to a "free USB" tuner adapter..... Sounds cool..... Where is there more info on that??? Did I miss it on their site (not too hard to do...).
post #152 of 6201
http://moxi.com/us/faq.html

Compatibility

10. Is MOXI compatible with analog as well as digital cable?

The MOXI HD DVR is optimized to work with Digital Cable service. For the support of analog cable channels, you would need an accessory that we provide at no charge except for the shipping: an analog dongle that plugs into the USB port on the MOXI HD DVR. Using this, you will have full DVR support, as well as the other features that the MOXI HD DVR provides, but would only be able to record a single analog show at a time. The HD channels will be discovered by the MOXI automatically, and you would have the capability to record two shows at a time.
post #153 of 6201
I just read the review in Home Theater Mag...

I am on Comcast in Portland, OR, and wonder if the Moxi HD works here and do they know what an M Card is? Also, is it correct that the Buffer is more than an hour even in HD? My Comcast DVR's are about 20 minutes, and many times we sure wish it was a lot more!!

Does anyone know if the audio outputs are all active? I would like to run optical to a small receiver for Dolby if a show is worth it, but for normal stuff, 2 channel to the TV would be fine and I can keep the Receiver off. This is what I do now, with HDMI to the TV.

OH, for extra credit, does Netflix streaming work and is it HD?

I am surprised that for this big push of a new product, Moxi does not seem to have a phone number to call so you can ask questions...at least I do not see it online.

The only thing that looks weird is the channel listing. It seems to only show the current time and not a grid as the Comcast DVR's show...is that correct?

TIA
post #154 of 6201
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpsan View Post

I am on Comcast in Portland, OR, and wonder if the Moxi HD works here and do they know what an M Card is?

You can request a M-CARD. If they don't know what you are talking about, just ask for a CableCard.

A M-CARD is type of CableCard, and it is the only CableCard type still in widespread use. With rare exception, that s what you get whenever you request a CableCard (regardless of provider). M-CARDs have "M-CARD" written in large bold letters across the card.

The old single-stream cards (sometimes referred to as S-CARDs) were discontinued about 15 months ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpsan View Post

Also, is it correct that the Buffer is more than an hour even in HD? My Comcast DVR's are about 20 minutes, and many times we sure wish it was a lot more!!

Yes. The Moxi has a 1.5 hour HD buffer per tuner, for a total HD buffer of 3.0 hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpsan View Post

OH, for extra credit, does Netflix streaming work and is it HD?

The Moxi does not have native support for Netflix. It is only able to support Netflix SD when your PC is on and running the PlayOn software. Netflix HD is not available through PC software, and therefore not supported on the Moxi. I listed that as one of its disadvantages in my earlier comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpsan View Post

I am surprised that for this big push of a new product, Moxi does not seem to have a phone number to call so you can ask questions...at least I do not see it online.

Moxi has an online FAQ and is very responsive to email questions. They've responded to all of my questions within 48 hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpsan View Post

The only thing that looks weird is the channel listing. It seems to only show the current time and not a grid as the Comcast DVR's show...is that correct?

That's correct. Moxi does not offer the option of a traditional, grid-based program guide. Some people like the Moxi's EPG and others do not.

You can see how the navigation and guide works in these videos: Demo for Engadget | CrunchGear | Moxi.com.

At this point, every DVR involves some tradeoffs. The main tradeoff, relative to the Comcast DVR, is obviously the lack of VOD. Personally, I find VOD to be a poor substitute for a lack of DVR storage, so I don't see the same need for it with a high-capacity DVR. The Moxi is equipped with a 500GB drive (75 HD hours), and you can add up to 2TB more, for a total of 375+ HD hours.
post #155 of 6201
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

The Moxi has a 1.5 hour HD buffer per tuner, for a total HD buffer of 3.0 hours.

Moxi does not offer the option of a traditional, grid-based program guide. Some people like the Moxi's EPG and others do not.

You can see how the navigation and guide works in these videos: Demo for Engadget | CrunchGear | Moxi.com.

At this point, every DVR involves some tradeoffs. The main tradeoff, relative to the Comcast DVR, is obviously the lack of VOD. Personally, I find VOD to be a poor substitute for a lack of DVR storage, so I don't see the same need for it with a high-capacity DVR. The Moxi is equipped with a 500GB drive (75 HD hours), and you can add up to 2TB more, for a total of 375+ HD hours.

Moxi's recording buffer is somewhat different from most others. The beginning of Moxi's buffer doesn't move forward a given number of minutes behind realtime but rather in stepped intervals which appear to be somewhat (?) dependent on the EPG data for the station. IOW, a longer program gets a longer buffer. Moxi's shortest digital recording buffer I've encountered was approx. 1.25 hours long right after a stepped interval but the average appears to be 1.5 hours extending to just under 2 hours. All buffers appear to be treated the same whether hi-def or standard-def, whether generated from digital or analog channels (from Moxi's analog dongle). IOW, buffer lengths aren't dependent on bitrates.

I mapped Moxi's analog dongle to VOD Channel 1 which is routinely blocked into 4 hour intervals so I've gotten recording buffers over 5 hours long from the dongle (but without EPG data of course for the actual channel being recorded from a standard-def Comcast STB with VOD access on Ch. 1.)

Moxi's EPG doesn't show programs which have ended, unlike TiVo. Moxi will turn a buffer segment into a recorded program as long as the program is still current in its EPG. Once, after starting to record from a stale (relatively long) ongoing buffer, the buffer's beginning stepped forward and the recording stopped at that point because there was no buffer to record from. If a program which has already ended is being watched from Moxi's buffer, Moxi will offer to record it (when its INFO button is pushed) but actually won't (because it can't!)

Moxi's EPG is an integral part of its unique GUI, unlike any other DVR or STB I'm aware of. When the MOXI button is pushed Moxi enters its GUI at whatever function it left the last time. It's different looking EPG is remarkably similiar in the way it actually functions to TiVo's non-grid Live Guide.

Moxi's method of adding HDD storage is more flexible than TiVo's because any number of external HDDs can be swapped out and back without losing recordings unlike TiVo's system which requires a single permanently paired HDD. A HDD recorded from a Moxi must be reconnected to that same Moxi for its recordings to be accessible.

Moxi offers a different DVR philosophy than TiVo's. Moxi is a better choice when a user routinely watches both 'live' and timeshifted programs. TiVo is optimized for timeshifting, and offers a mini-Google of TV search capabilities for finding programs to timeshift.

CrunchGear's video offers a very long critical revue of Moxi from his digitally 'hip' twenty-something perspective. Too bad, but still informative if a viewer can get past his juvenile affectations and amateurish production values.
post #156 of 6201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck05 View Post

I have not read this entire thread as yet but I hope to learn from the current owners (and it appears a few detractors ) about this unit. At $799 a piece it appears a might pricey but I have seen the math applied to the TiVO offering and it appears this may be the better value (on paper).

If you're smart enough to come to AVS, you should be smart enough to do some research and find out how to get a 500GB Tivo HD for at least $150 less than the Moxi, so I'm not sure about your interpretation of the math.

But I know it's terrifying to some to unscrew cases and move components around, so if you're one of those folks, feel free to pay extra for the Moxi.

Don't get me wrong - I like the fact that there's another box out there, but on a value basis, for a reasonably savvy consumer, the Moxi is no competitor to the Tivo. Its reliability is unproven, has many important Tivo features missing at this time, and it costs more because there's no retail competition.
post #157 of 6201
HDTiVo is available from Amazon for 241.45 with free shipping. My DVR Expander is available for $119.99 with free shipping. TiVo Lifetime Service is available from TiVo for $399. Moxi is available for $799 with free shipping. On that basis your numbers don't add up.

The only way your numbers add up is if a replacement internal 500 GB HDD properly formatted can be obtained for $60; TiVo Lifetime Service is purchased on eBay for $330+ and a new TiVo buyer doesn't mind screwing around with a brand new TiVo and voiding the warranty.

But the best reason for buying TiVo isn't because it's cheap; it isn't. The best reason for buying TiVo is that it fits a user's needs better than anything else available, which for many prospective users it does.

Moxi may also fit a user's needs better than anything else. If commitment to an expensive DVR is anathema to a user, even a cable DVR may fit their needs best.

I like Moxi. It fits my overall needs, perhaps more completely than TiVo does, but each DVR has specific features at which it excels. Moxi operates within the same order of magnitude of reliability as TiVo. It offers practically unlimited expandability with its system of exchangable external HDD's.

Even Sony's discontinued but widely available single tuner hi-def DVRs perform better at some things than either TiVo or Moxi. However they are suitable relatively cheap DVRs only when a user knows that digital TVGOS is available.
post #158 of 6201
Thanks, Guys, that was helpful.

One thing that was not answered was my question about the audio outputs all being live. I asked if I could have the Optical AND the 2 ch Stereo being live at the same time. ie: Dolby and my small receiver being on if the program could benefit from it, but ALSO to have a 2 ch stereo cable going to the TV if I did not want/need to turn the receiver on and just use the TV speakers for the news.

Regarding the buffer...if we come in late, and Leno is on, can we back up to the 11 o'clock news, or will they flush the buffer when the new show (The Tonight show) starts?

One other thing, the Comcast DVR is driving us crazy with this...how good is the series recording? On my Comcast HD DVR I set something like HOUSE (Actually I do this with all series recordings) to only record NEW shows. Then we will miss a show. Why? Because, sometimes the show is not flagged as NEW. Is this better with the MOXI?

I know that the diskless Moxi is not out yet, but will this stream HD from the main MOXI? They do not say. I hope it is way less than the $800 as only a few hundred less would not be worth it!
post #159 of 6201
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post

The only way your numbers add up is if a replacement internal 500 GB HDD properly formatted can be obtained for $60; TiVo Lifetime Service is purchased on eBay for $330+ and a new TiVo buyer doesn't mind screwing around with a brand new TiVo and voiding the warranty.

Give that man a cigar! Notice how I highlighted 'reasonably savvy consumer' before?
The warranty is very limited as it only covers everything for 90 days, so if you care just wait to do the upgrade until then. After that it's parts only, but 90%+ of the time it will be a failed hard drive if the box doesn't die within 90 days, and as you correctly point out can be obtained for $60. I think Tivo charges a min. $50 labor charge after 90 days, so that's mostly a wash.

I agree that the Moxi vs. Tivo debate is about more than just the cost, but I was simply making the point that on a value for the money basis, it's a lot easier to justify the Tivo if you don't mind doing (very little) work.

The reason why I mentioned the Moxi's unproven reliability was more about the software than the box itself - you have mentioned unexpected reboots in your time with it, as have others. The software appears to be rough around the edges from the few reviews that I've seen (from a usability standpoint) as well. And the guide interface and lack of a grid guide are disappointing to me.

In the year that I've had my Tivo HD, I've had two reboots, both of which only happened when I was messing around deep in the menus. For day-to-day usage, it's been rock-solid.
post #160 of 6201
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpsan View Post

Thanks, Guys, that was helpful.

One thing that was not answered was my question about the audio outputs all being live. I asked if I could have the Optical AND the 2 ch Stereo being live at the same time. ie: Dolby and my small receiver being on if the program could benefit from it, but ALSO to have a 2 ch stereo cable going to the TV if I did not want/need to turn the receiver on and just use the TV speakers for the news.

Regarding the buffer...if we come in late, and Leno is on, can we back up to the 11 o'clock news, or will they flush the buffer when the new show (The Tonight show) starts?

One other thing, the Comcast DVR is driving us crazy with this...how good is the series recording? On my Comcast HD DVR I set something like HOUSE (Actually I do this with all series recordings) to only record NEW shows. Then we will miss a show. Why? Because, sometimes the show is not flagged as NEW. Is this better with the MOXI?

I know that the diskless Moxi is not out yet, but will this stream HD from the main MOXI? They do not say. I hope it is way less than the $800 as only a few hundred less would not be worth it!

You can back up in Moxi's buffer to a previous show but if it's over you can watch it but not turn it into a recording.

Here's what Moxi says about the Moxi Mate: http://moxi.com/us/faq.html#features

26. Does MOXI have multi-room capability?
...At the recent Consumer Electronics Show, we showed our multi-room client product, but haven't announced the release date or price and will do that very soon. When we introduce this product, all the capabilities of the MOXI HD DVR can be accessed in other rooms including the recordings. No time consuming transfers as with TiVo. Recordings would be streamed over your home networks for instant access...

I don't have definitive answers to your other questions, just BS opinions!
post #161 of 6201
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

Give that man a cigar! Notice how I highlighted 'reasonably savvy consumer' before?
The warranty is very limited as it only covers everything for 90 days, so if you care just wait to do the upgrade until then. After that it's parts only, but 90%+ of the time it will be a failed hard drive if the box doesn't die within 90 days, and as you correctly point out can be obtained for $60. I think Tivo charges a min. $50 labor charge after 90 days, so that's mostly a wash.

I agree that the Moxi vs. Tivo debate is about more than just the cost, but I was simply making the point that on a value for the money basis, it's a lot easier to justify the Tivo if you don't mind doing (very little) work.

The reason why I mentioned the Moxi's unproven reliability was more about the software than the box itself - you have mentioned unexpected reboots in your time with it, as have others. The software appears to be rough around the edges from the few reviews that I've seen (from a usability standpoint) as well. And the guide interface and lack of a grid guide are disappointing to me.

In the year that I've had my Tivo HD, I've had two reboots, both of which only happened when I was messing around deep in the menus. For day-to-day usage, it's been rock-solid.

Interesting that you continually post on the Moxi thread instead of on the TiVo threads about how superior you believe TiVo is to Moxi.

I appreciate TiVo a lot better than TiVo fan people who push TiVo incessantly. I can imagine the reception I'd get if I kept posting about Moxi on the TiVo threads.

Actually there are a couple of threads at the TiVo Community Forum where it's totally appropriate to ballyhoo TiVo over Moxi. But if a newcomer visits TiVo Community Forum it's likely s/he'd get the false impression that TiVo fugs up all the time judging from the incessant bitching about TiVo that routinely goes on there.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/index.php?
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=413204 This one is yours!
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=424412
post #162 of 6201
I'm not posting here to bash the Moxi or be a Tivo fanboy, I'm just trying to inject a little reality into the discussion. I sincerely hope the Moxi succeeds and keeps improving their software to the point that Tivo has to respond to be competitive. If cablecard tuners for PCs get cheap enough, I might ditch them both and roll my own PC.

But I don't see that happening as long as the Moxi costs $800 - ReplayTV already tried the 'bundle the sub in the price' model and it didn't work for them, nor will it for Moxi.

Just MHO, I'm glad that you like it.
post #163 of 6201
ReplayTVs still work and IMHO even now provide a better EPG than either TiVo or Moxi.

Moxi and TiVo have different philosophies about the way a DVR should work. That difference is by far the most important issue when deciding to buy one, not relatively small differences in price.

TiVo has marketed its service under a variety of plans which have sometimes been overly complicated. Lifetime Service at different prices is a good example. Recently TiVo went back to offering Lifetime Service plans after almost everyone predicted it was gone for good. Despite hanging in for 10 years TiVo has had a difficult time and its ongoing operations still aren't consistently profitable.
post #164 of 6201
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post

ReplayTVs still work and IMHO even now provide a better EPG than either TiVo or Moxi.

Moxi and TiVo have different philosophies about the way a DVR should work. That difference is by far the most important issue when deciding to buy one, not relatively small differences in price.

TiVo has marketed its service under a variety of plans which have sometimes been overly complicated. Lifetime Service at different prices is a good example. Recently TiVo went back to offering Lifetime Service plans after almost everyone predicted it was gone for good. Despite hanging in for 10 years TiVo has had a difficult time and its ongoing operations still aren't consistently profitable.

I STILL have 3 ReplayTV's and they have all worked for YEARS now. I forget I even have them connected, but when I do look the guide is current. Every once in a while, if I do not get a show on the HD Comcast DVR, I will go to Poolpi and it gets sent to me.

What a shame that they never came out with an HD Replay...it was WAY ahead of TiVo...for me anyway!
post #165 of 6201
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post

You can back up in Moxi's buffer to a previous show but if it's over you can watch it but not turn it into a recording.

Here's what Moxi says about the Moxi Mate: http://moxi.com/us/faq.html#features

26. Does MOXI have multi-room capability?
...At the recent Consumer Electronics Show, we showed our multi-room client product, but haven't announced the release date or price and will do that very soon. When we introduce this product, all the capabilities of the MOXI HD DVR can be accessed in other rooms including the recordings. No time consuming transfers as with TiVo. Recordings would be streamed over your home networks for instant access...

I don't have definitive answers to your other questions, just BS opinions!

Yes, I did see that, BUT, they never say that the streamed video will be HD. FIOS TV also says you can stream, but it is SD only even with HD units.
post #166 of 6201
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpsan View Post

Yes, I did see that, BUT, they never say that the streamed video will be HD. FIOS TV also says you can stream, but it is SD only even with HD units.

Moxi will allow streamed HD to their extender; that capability is slated for late summer.

FiOS added HD streaming capability [to its Motorola HD STBs] about six months ago.
post #167 of 6201
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

Moxi will allow streamed HD to their extender; that capability is slated for late summer.

FiOS added HD streaming capability [to its Motorola HD STBs] about six months ago.

Great, this is good to know!
post #168 of 6201
I was under the impression that the Moxi cannot stream HD movies as the Play-on software does not allow it, say from Netflix or Amazon if they sign them up?

Or are you referring to HD tv streaming
post #169 of 6201
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB HAN View Post

I was under the impression that the Moxi cannot stream HD movies as the Play-on software does not allow it, say from Netflix or Amazon if they sign them up?

The PlayOn software can only stream what your PC can access, and PCs cannot access Netflix HD or Amazon Unbox HD movies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB HAN View Post

Or are you referring to HD tv streaming

Moxi announced plans to release a a "Moxi Mate" extender for remote viewing of DVR recordings in another rooms. This tunerless box will allow you to view any SD or HD recording stored on the Moxi DVR. It "should cost under $100" and be available by summer's end.

Of course, both the Moxi DVR and the "Moxi Mate" extender must be on a 100Mbps ethernet or high-speed 802.11n / MoCA / Powerline AV network to stream HD recordings.
post #170 of 6201
According to the tivo site, it can access netflix and amazon HD, how does it do it? can you buy software for the computer so Moxi can access HD movies?


Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

The PlayOn software can only stream what your PC can access, and PCs cannot access Netflix HD or Amazon Unbox HD movies.

Moxi announced plans to release a a "Moxi Mate" extender for remote viewing of DVR recordings in another rooms. This tunerless box will allow you to view any SD or HD recording stored on the Moxi DVR. It "should cost under $100" and be available by summer's end.

Of course, both the Moxi DVR and the "Moxi Mate" extender must be on a 100Mbps ethernet or high-speed 802.11n / MoCA / Powerline AV network to stream HD recordings.
post #171 of 6201
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

Moxi announced plans to release a a "Moxi Mate" extender for remote viewing of DVR recordings in another rooms. This tunerless box will allow you to view any SD or HD recording stored on the Moxi DVR. It "should cost under $100" and be available by summer's end.

Of course, both the Moxi DVR and the "Moxi Mate" extender must be on a 100Mbps ethernet or high-speed 802.11n / MoCA / Powerline AV network to stream HD recordings.

And that's the kicker!

ReplayTV opted for 'live' standard-def streaming between two ReplayTVs connected via a LAN while TiVo chose a system that transfers files before they're available for viewing. TiVo's system is of course much slower, BUT, unless a transfer fails completely, it results in a perfect copy. ReplayTV's system, while theoretically better, resulted in picture glitches when (I) used (it) on an wired ethernet LAN.

MOXI's similiar system for hi-def transfers better work perfectly!
post #172 of 6201
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB HAN View Post

According to the tivo site, it can access netflix and amazon HD, how does it do it?

It communicates directly with those services via the Internet. It's got the appropriate software, developed in concert with the companies that run those services, to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB HAN View Post

can you buy software for the computer so Moxi can access HD movies?

Far as I know, there's currently no way on a PC to access either service. So, until that changes... no.
post #173 of 6201
So the Moxi mate will not allow the 2nd TV to watch live TV, just recorded TV correct. If so, then you would have to have anyother turner (cable box) correct


Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

The PlayOn software can only stream what your PC can access, and PCs cannot access Netflix HD or Amazon Unbox HD movies.

Moxi announced plans to release a a "Moxi Mate" extender for remote viewing of DVR recordings in another rooms. This tunerless box will allow you to view any SD or HD recording stored on the Moxi DVR. It "should cost under $100" and be available by summer's end.

Of course, both the Moxi DVR and the "Moxi Mate" extender must be on a 100Mbps ethernet or high-speed 802.11n / MoCA / Powerline AV network to stream HD recordings.
post #174 of 6201
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post

And that's the kicker!

ReplayTV opted for 'live' standard-def streaming between two ReplayTVs connected via a LAN while TiVo chose a system that transfers files before they're available for viewing. TiVo's system is of course much slower, BUT, unless a transfer fails completely, it results in a perfect copy. ReplayTV's system, while theoretically better, resulted in picture glitches when (I) used (it) on an wired ethernet LAN.

MOXI's similiar system for hi-def transfers better work perfectly!

I had two ReplayTVs on a wired network and multi-room streaming was glitch-free as long as you didn't use high quality for recording. But that was with slow processor boxes and was SD, not HD. So I too am curious if the Moxi will be able to provide a seamless experience for a max-rate 1080i HD stream between two boxes.

Tivo's system is a poor substitute for streaming, IMO, because you can't transfer copy-protected shows, and you don't need another copy on the other box anyway.
post #175 of 6201
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB HAN View Post

So the Moxi mate will not allow the 2nd TV to watch live TV, just recorded TV correct. If so, then you would have to have anyother turner (cable box) correct

Correct, but buying the MoxiMate and renting a cable box would be a whole lot cheaper than paying $800 for another Moxi. This is another disadvantage of their one size fits all pricing model - you pay full boat for each unit, whereas Tivo discounts lifetime subs by $100 for each additional unit.
post #176 of 6201
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB HAN View Post

So the Moxi mate will not allow the 2nd TV to watch live TV, just recorded TV correct. If so, then you would have to have anyother turner (cable box) correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post

Here's what Moxi says about the Moxi Mate: http://moxi.com/us/faq.html#features

26. Does MOXI have multi-room capability?
...At the recent Consumer Electronics Show, we showed our multi-room client product, but haven't announced the release date or price and will do that very soon. When we introduce this product, all the capabilities of the MOXI HD DVR can be accessed in other rooms including the recordings. No time consuming transfers as with TiVo. Recordings would be streamed over your home networks for instant access...

Per FAQ 26, "all the capabilities of the MOXI HD DVR can be accessed in other rooms including the recordings". I interpret that to mean you wouldn't need another cable box and could stream directly from the MOXI using one of its available tuners. In this scenerio, the multi-room client "Moxi-Mate" will be able to control the MOXI from another room (i.e. change channels, view program guide, etc).
post #177 of 6201
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

This tunerless box will allow you to view any SD or HD recording stored on the Moxi DVR. It "should cost under $100" and be available by summer's end.

I thought that they said the Moxi Mate would have it all as teeitup stated while I was typing this! Also, I do not see where the Moxi Mate would be $100. If so that would be GREAT!!! I think at one time the old non HD version had a Moxi Mate for $79, so perhaps you are correct!
post #178 of 6201
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

I had two ReplayTVs on a wired network and multi-room streaming was glitch-free as long as you didn't use high quality for recording. But that was with slow processor boxes and was SD, not HD. So I too am curious if the Moxi will be able to provide a seamless experience for a max-rate 1080i HD stream between two boxes.

Tivo's system is a poor substitute for streaming, IMO, because you can't transfer copy-protected shows, and you don't need another copy on the other box anyway.

+1 and I recorded at HiQuality all the time!
post #179 of 6201
Quote:
Originally Posted by teeitup View Post

Per FAQ 26, "all the capabilities of the MOXI HD DVR can be accessed in other rooms including the recordings". I interpret that to mean you wouldn't need another cable box and could stream directly from the MOXI using one of its available tuners. In this scenerio, the multi-room client "Moxi-Mate" will be able to control the MOXI from another room (i.e. change channels, view program guide, etc).

I think you're reading too much into that FAQ. That's not how the older Moxi-Mate works for the cable version of their DVR. Of course, that could change to allow remote viewing of liveTV, but I will be surprised if that happens.

The "all the capabilities" is probably meant as a reference to pause, rewind, fast forward, and skip with recorded TV. Although not a feature of the current Moxi-Mate, I do expect the consumer version to add support for DLNA and PC/NAS video playback.
post #180 of 6201
Quote:
Originally Posted by teeitup View Post

Per FAQ 26, "all the capabilities of the MOXI HD DVR can be accessed in other rooms including the recordings". I interpret that to mean you wouldn't need another cable box and could stream directly from the MOXI using one of its available tuners. In this scenerio, the multi-room client "Moxi-Mate" will be able to control the MOXI from another room (i.e. change channels, view program guide, etc).

Has anyone tried to call Digeo? Will they answer questions, or will they just tell you to submit via email? Some questions require realtime interaction that email does not provide!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Recorders
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Recorders › Moxi HD DVR