or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Recorders › Moxi HD DVR
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Moxi HD DVR - Page 16

post #451 of 6199
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

Enjoy your box, for as long as support for it lasts. But understand that you bought a low volume product within a niche, that's all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post

I'd bet you $100 that Moxi's EPG will be available until at least Jan. 1, 2015. (Of course it might be available much longer!)

Hm, this is NOT making my decision process any easier!
post #452 of 6199
So to make the story short, instead of getting into a lot of details, an "engineer" (as the Ohio State tech person refers to him, with the OSU tech serving as a middle man, haven't spoken to this "engineer" directly) has said that the Moxi DVR is not working in Ohio, but referenced New York as being a state where everything is running smoothly.
Not entirely sure what he means here, and how long ago this fact came to be true, and if some for some reason it still is... but I imagine the SDV tuner adapter has been integrated into the overall picture seeing as it has been a part of prior discussions.

By the way, this is with Time Warner Mid-Ohio region.
Anybody else in the region, or even the state itself, have a Moxi HD DVR and everything works the way it should?

I don't know if this tech knows the Moxi now has SDV support and the last test he knows was when the DVR did not have SDV support, and/or if this is just some typical TWC tactic to prevent the customer making a switch to CableCard instead of a set top box.

Anyone able to offer up any help? Maybe some encouraging words that will help sway this tech into giving me a card?

The short story of the OSU issue: I am in an on-campus apartment/dorm and to get a cable card an OSU tech has to install it for me, no TWC techs are allowed inside. That was TWC's answer to the problem, as they will not permit the customer to install it.

I already own the Moxi and have been getting a lengthy run around with this whole situation. First it started with no TWC representatives knowing they cannot schedule a tech trip to my building, and now it is this. I just want to put that black box sitting idle to use.
Not to mention tired of this terrible Scientific Atlanta box.
post #453 of 6199
Quote:
Originally Posted by destrekor View Post

So to make the story short, instead of getting into a lot of details, an "engineer" (as the Ohio State tech person refers to him, with the OSU tech serving as a middle man, haven't spoken to this "engineer" directly) has said that the Moxi DVR is not working in Ohio, but referenced New York as being a state where everything is running smoothly.
Not entirely sure what he means here, and how long ago this fact came to be true, and if some for some reason it still is... but I imagine the SDV tuner adapter has been integrated into the overall picture seeing as it has been a part of prior discussions.

By the way, this is with Time Warner Mid-Ohio region.
Anybody else in the region, or even the state itself, have a Moxi HD DVR and everything works the way it should?

I don't know if this tech knows the Moxi now has SDV support and the last test he knows was when the DVR did not have SDV support, and/or if this is just some typical TWC tactic to prevent the customer making a switch to CableCard instead of a set top box.

Anyone able to offer up any help? Maybe some encouraging words that will help sway this tech into giving me a card?

The short story of the OSU issue: I am in an on-campus apartment/dorm and to get a cable card an OSU tech has to install it for me, no TWC techs are allowed inside. That was TWC's answer to the problem, as they will not permit the customer to install it.

I already own the Moxi and have been getting a lengthy run around with this whole situation. First it started with no TWC representatives knowing they cannot schedule a tech trip to my building, and now it is this. I just want to put that black box sitting idle to use.
Not to mention tired of this terrible Scientific Atlanta box.

Moxi does have SDV support. You'll need to pick up a tuning resolver though and you'll need the to have the latest firmware installed. Yes you'll need to have a truck roll to have a cable card installed.
post #454 of 6199
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubercool View Post

So how about a Solomon's decision? I can get a Moxi with a nice discount that makes it cheaper than an HD XL TiVo with Lifetime.

What would you choose at this moment? How about if you were addicted to the i.TV iPhone app, which allows you to remotely program a TiVo? Let me know what you would pick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubercool View Post

I already have too much equipment clutter, so must choose just one.

DON'T buy based on price alone! If you like a specific TiVo application, that's a powerful plus.

How do you mostly watch TV:

Timeshifted? TiVo's best.
Live? Moxi's best.
A mixture of both? Moxi's best.
Do you record programs to DVD? TiVo's a better source.

TiVo operates most reliably of any DVR product.

Although more unpredictable than TiVo, Moxi operates within the same order of magnitude as regards reliability but doesn't equal TiVo's gold standard. However Moxi is better suited for viewers who watch a significant portion of TV live.

I like both DVRs, but Moxi is more fun for me. The choice is HIGHLY subjective. I own both.
post #455 of 6199
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubercool View Post

So how about a Solomon's decision? I can get a Moxi with a nice discount that makes it cheaper than an HD XL TiVo with Lifetime.

What would you choose at this moment? How about if you were addicted to the i.TV iPhone app, which allows you to remotely program a TiVo? Let me know what you would pick.

Personally I would go with the Moxi. And get a Moxi Mate if you have a second TV you want to stream recorded shows to. I didn't think I would use the Mate that much, but actually end up watching the majority of my recorded programs from it. I also own a Sony HD DVR and owned a TiVo but sold after my year was up. The Moxi is my favorite to use, and looks the coolest in my entertainment center. Everyone asks what the Moxi is? You probably won't know anybody else who owns one. Kind of like owning a Ferrari. You should be able to schedule your recordings from Moxi.com on your iPhone.
post #456 of 6199
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtvfan2005 View Post

Moxi does have SDV support. You'll need to pick up a tuning resolver though and you'll need the to have the latest firmware installed. Yes you'll need to have a truck roll to have a cable card installed.

This I understand.
But you didn't answer any of my specific questions.
I'm looking for help with regards to confirming problems between a Moxi and TWC's Mid Ohio regional system.

I cannot believe it would work in one region but not another when they are all running the same technology.

Is this tech just misinformed, and forgot about the Tuning Adapter, of which Moxi has included support for in the summer firmware update?
post #457 of 6199
Quote:
Originally Posted by destrekor View Post

This I understand.
But you didn't answer any of my specific questions.
I'm looking for help with regards to confirming problems between a Moxi and TWC's Mid Ohio regional system.

I cannot believe it would work in one region but not another when they are all running the same technology.

Is this tech just misinformed, and forgot about the Tuning Adapter, of which Moxi has included support for in the summer firmware update?

If it has a cable card but no Tuning adapter then just go to the nearest payment/box center and pick one up. They can be installed by yourself. Just plug it into the USB and coax and you should be good to go.
post #458 of 6199
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post

DON'T buy based on price alone! If you like a specific TiVo application, that's a powerful plus.

How do you mostly watch TV:

Timeshifted? TiVo's best.
Live? Moxi's best.
A mixture of both? Moxi's best.
Do you record programs to DVD? TiVo's a better source.

TiVo operates most reliably of any DVR product.

Although more unpredictable than TiVo, Moxi operates within the same order of magnitude as regards reliability but doesn't equal TiVo's gold standard. However Moxi is better suited for viewers who watch a significant portion of TV live.

I like both DVRs, but Moxi is more fun for me. The choice is HIGHLY subjective. I own both.

I guess I'll go with the Moxi. I like fun and I watch far more live TV than pre-recorded, although that could be a function of not having had a good PVR (the Comcast/Motorola 6412), so that could change.

One more question, I know the TiVo is very slow in scrolling through the grid, etc. Is the Moxi fast?

Thanks for a great response.
post #459 of 6199
I wouldn't call TiVo's Grid Guide 'very slow', but that's subjective.

For me Moxi's EPG isn't very slow either. Too bad Moxi used such a small font for its Grid Guide though.

Enjoy, and do get the Moxi Mate if you can use it. Too bad the promo'd half-price sale on the Mate is over, but you could call Moxi and ask.
post #460 of 6199
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post

I wouldn't call TiVo's Grid Guide 'very slow', but that's subjective.

For me Moxi's EPG isn't very slow either. Too bad Moxi used such a small font for its Grid Guide though.

Enjoy, and do get the Moxi Mate if you can use it. Too bad the promo'd half-price sale on the Mate is over, but you could call Moxi and ask.

I just received an e-mail from Moxi - the promo is still on. Get a Moxi and Moxi Mate for a reduced price and you can spread the payments out over time - interest free.
post #461 of 6199
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtvfan2005 View Post

If it has a cable card but no Tuning adapter then just go to the nearest payment/box center and pick one up. They can be installed by yourself. Just plug it into the USB and coax and you should be good to go.

try re-reading my first post please. I really don't feel like repeating myself for an entire post.

But to try and sum it up:

I have a Moxi. No cable card yet. Trying to get Time Warner to send a card to an Ohio State IT person, they will install card for me (Time Warner cannot, OSU owned apartment/dorm). But TWC will not send a card because they said the Moxi is not compatible with their local infrastructure.

I don't believe the engineer who said that, but I have to refute it. Can anyone confirm that is ********? I can't get a card until a specific guy at TWC agrees to send a card to OSU's IT people, and so far he is saying he will not since my device is not compatible.

I think he is just misinformed, as Moxi originally did not have support for a tuning adapter. Now they do.
I'll have them send a tuning adapter at the same time if I can get them to even agree to sending a cable card to OSU.

If you do not understand that situation, let me clear that up.
TWC cannot send an installer, they are not allowed in this OSU owned building. TWC has agreed to send a card to OSU's IT department, and a technician from OSU will install the card.
That is, if I can get them to agree my device is compatible.
post #462 of 6199
Email your division's president and complain like hell. Or you could call the executive customer support line at 203-328-0600 - option 2. You can also email the executive line at TWC.COTP@twcable.com. Moxi is fully compatible but you make sure you get an M-Card as it can do both tuners. The S-Cards only work with 1 tuner but M-Cards are common.
post #463 of 6199
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post

I wouldn't call TiVo's Grid Guide 'very slow', but that's subjective.

For me Moxi's EPG isn't very slow either. Too bad Moxi used such a small font for its Grid Guide though.

Enjoy, and do get the Moxi Mate if you can use it. Too bad the promo'd half-price sale on the Mate is over, but you could call Moxi and ask.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated!
post #464 of 6199
Sorry to hear about Moxi. I got two Tivo HDs not because of the capability, but because Moxi had perceived risk. I just couldn't see how Moxi could get sufficient volume.

If it wasn't for the risk, I would have bought Moxi. I'd also like to see the Sony's of the world get back in the game.
post #465 of 6199
I wouldn't. Sony hates its customers.
post #466 of 6199
Does anybody know of a quick way to turn captions on and off? I hate going through the regular procedure.
I almost bought a 2nd Moxi from eBay. I contacted Moxi and they said both Moxi's will talk to each other and show recorded programs of both Moxi's on either TV, so you can watch any program from either Moxi.
I like my Moxi, but dislike that it frequently locks-up when watching Utube or HULU, requiring a reboot. I missed some recordings after using HULU, going back to the cable, but not checking to see if I could change channels.
Did the new owners keep all the original staff? If not, it may become like ReplayTV. I still use two of them.
PS I hate the Moxi web site. They need some pages for owners to get more detailed info, instead of fluff.
post #467 of 6199
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakforest View Post

Did the new owners keep all the original staff? If not, it may become like ReplayTV. I still use two of them.

PS I hate the Moxi web site. They need some pages for owners to get more detailed info, instead of fluff.

Yes, the ownership change bothers me too. And, yes, the Moxi site is one hard-sell hustler, instead of being a service-oriented place where owners can find good stuff.
post #468 of 6199
Well I had my first negative experience with Moxi tech support.... I had to unplug my external drive to rearrange some cables and I couldn't get the Moxi to recognize it when I plugged it back in.

I contacted the chat support and I asked what I could do to troubleshoot the issue. He asked me what HDD I was using and that it needed to be a DVR certified external drive. I told him that mine wasn't a certified drive since it was an internal drive in an external enclosure but it had worked flawlessly for the last 3 months and it meets all of the specs.

He then tells me that he can't trouble shoot the issue because its not a certified dvr drive. I tell him that I just want to trouble shoot the issue to make sure that its the drive. I told him lets pretend that this is a verified drive what would be the steps I need to take to connect the drive (ie do I need to have the moxi powered on or off before I connect the drive). He tells me he can not do it.

I have to tell him that tomorrow I'm going out to buy a certified drive. What are the steps that I need to do to connect it before he would help me. Then he was all helpful. After he told me the steps (1. power on the moxi, 2. wait until it has completed startup (you see a television show), 3. connect the hard drive, 4. power on the hard drive) I told him that was all I needed to know and that was what I wanted to do to my current external drive. He then switches gears back to the we cant support non-certified drives......

What a moron!!!
post #469 of 6199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick2020 View Post

Well I had my first negative experience with Moxi tech support.... I had to unplug my external drive to rearrange some cables and I couldn't get the Moxi to recognize it when I plugged it back in.

I contacted the chat support and I asked what I could do to troubleshoot the issue. He asked me what HDD I was using and that it needed to be a DVR certified external drive. I told him that mine wasn't a certified drive since it was an internal drive in an external enclosure but it had worked flawlessly for the last 3 months and it meets all of the specs.

He then tells me that he can't trouble shoot the issue because its not a certified dvr drive. I tell him that I just want to trouble shoot the issue to make sure that its the drive. I told him lets pretend that this is a verified drive what would be the steps I need to take to connect the drive (ie do I need to have the moxi powered on or off before I connect the drive). He tells me he can not do it.

I have to tell him that tomorrow I'm going out to buy a certified drive. What are the steps that I need to do to connect it before he would help me. Then he was all helpful. After he told me the steps (1. power on the moxi, 2. wait until it has completed startup (you see a television show), 3. connect the hard drive, 4. power on the hard drive) I told him that was all I needed to know and that was what I wanted to do to my current external drive. He then switches gears back to the we cant support non-certified drives......

What a moron!!!

Forgive my ingnorance but what difference does it make??? I understand that certified drives are meant for the constant abuse given by a dvr but overall there is no difference from tech supports POV.
post #470 of 6199
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyD View Post

Forgive my ingnorance but what difference does it make??? I understand that certified drives are meant for the constant abuse given by a dvr but overall there is no difference from tech supports POV.

It shouldn't have made any difference to him. He was just being dense and stuck on the fact that my internal hdd with an external enclosure wasn't certified and therefor was the root of all my issues, and that it couldn't possibly be anything else.

I'm guessing what it is supposed to mean that if I had a certified hard drive that the engineers can take a look at the support logs to determine if it is the moxi's fault that the drive isn't being read or if it is a faulty drive.

What he couldn't wrap his brain around is that I was faulting moxi for the drive not working, I just wanted to troubleshoot the issue completely before throwing my hdd away and purchasing a new one.

After much troubleshooting on my part I found that my hdd was indeed failing, and I put an old 320gb in its place and it is working perfectly. I just didn't want to hook it up to my computer until all other of my options we spent because I didn't want to reformat my drive for windows since moxi uses unix (or linux I can never remember) and I would lose the 50+ hours of recorded shows on the external.
post #471 of 6199
a quick question...
What makes Tivo better at recording to DVD?
post #472 of 6199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockrob2000 View Post

a quick question...
What makes Tivo better at recording to DVD?

TiVo allows you to download recordings from a computer (PC or Mac) anywhere in your home. You can then burn those recordings to DVD using your computer's built-in DVD writer. Creating DVDs in this way retains the best possible picture quality; it also allows you to preserve the original Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack.

For standalone DVD recorders, TiVo can also output HD channels as anamorphic 16:9 SD through the s-video and composite outputs; this allows standalone players to create disks from HD recordings with maximum resolution possible. The Moxi always letterboxes (adds bars to top and bottom) HD channels with its SD output, resulting in 30+% lost resolution with standalone DVD players.
post #473 of 6199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockrob2000 View Post

a quick question...
What makes Tivo better at recording to DVD?

I suppose the fact that TiVo lets you download (at least non-CCI 0x02 flagged) content to your computer for conversion/editing/burning, while the Moxi doesn't.
post #474 of 6199
Thanks- I am kind of torn between the two. This helps. I know the Moxi uses the M-card, is that what the Tivo uses too? Or two S-cards?
post #475 of 6199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockrob2000 View Post

Thanks- I am kind of torn between the two. This helps. I know the Moxi uses the M-card, is that what the Tivo uses too?

Both support dual-tuners with a single M-CARD.
post #476 of 6199
In our paper today Digeo filed for Chapter 11. I hate that as I always like competition!
post #477 of 6199
What does this mean for the MOXI HD DVR? Is this the end of it or simply a Chpt 11 filing with a corporate restructuring coming?
post #478 of 6199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evangelo2 View Post

What does this mean for the MOXI HD DVR? Is this the end of it or simply a Chpt 11 filing with a corporate restructuring coming?

Well, it definitely is not a positive long-term sign. If they were just acquired and the company that paid $20 million for their assets enters them into Chapter 11, you can bet that more bad news is certain to follow.
post #479 of 6199
Here's the whole story. I gather that his does not affect the Arris deal, so perhaps Moxi will live:

November 3, 2009 at 12:02 PM
Paul Allen files for bankruptcy protection for Digeo holdings

Posted by Brier Dudley

Mercer Island billionaire Paul Allen is asking for federal bankruptcy protection as he liquidates the remains of Digeo, a Kirkland set-top box company that was mostly sold off this fall.

Allen filed for Chapter 11 protection Monday for a holding company that encompasses the remains of Digeo. It has assets of less than $50,000 and debts of $10 million to $50 million, according to the filing.

Among the nine unsecured creditors include Comcast - owed $632.42 - and Datec Inc., a Tukwila IT vendor owed $48,206.27.

A spokesman for Allen said the filing does not indicate the Microsoft co-founder is in financial straits and unable to pay the debts of his startup.

"No, not at all, it's not about Paul's personal wealth,'' said David Postman, spokesman for Allen's investment company, Vulcan.

"That is the prudent forum for winding down a remaining business," Postman said. "That's not unusual and it's the method to do that, to take the last piece of this company and liquidate."

Allen sold Digeo's key assets - including its brands and technology for its "Moxi" advanced set-top box systems - in September to Arris, a Suwanee, Ga.-based company that's a major player in the cable hardware business.

Arris paid $20 million for the assets. Allen had invested more than $110 million in Digeo since it was started in 1999.

Digeo had reorganized several times before Allen, his sister and others on the Digeo board decided last spring that it was time to sell or find a strategic partner for the company.

That was around the time Allen's biggest investment, St Louis-based cable company Charter Communications, filed for bankruptcy with $21.7 billion in debt.
post #480 of 6199
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubercool View Post

Here's the whole story. I gather that his does not affect the Arris deal, so perhaps Moxi will live:

November 3, 2009 at 12:02 PM
Paul Allen files for bankruptcy protection for Digeo holdings

Posted by Brier Dudley

Mercer Island billionaire Paul Allen is asking for federal bankruptcy protection as he liquidates the remains of Digeo, a Kirkland set-top box company that was mostly sold off this fall.

Allen filed for Chapter 11 protection Monday for a holding company that encompasses the remains of Digeo. It has assets of less than $50,000 and debts of $10 million to $50 million, according to the filing.

Among the nine unsecured creditors include Comcast - owed $632.42 - and Datec Inc., a Tukwila IT vendor owed $48,206.27.

A spokesman for Allen said the filing does not indicate the Microsoft co-founder is in financial straits and unable to pay the debts of his startup.

"No, not at all, it's not about Paul's personal wealth,'' said David Postman, spokesman for Allen's investment company, Vulcan.

"That is the prudent forum for winding down a remaining business," Postman said. "That's not unusual and it's the method to do that, to take the last piece of this company and liquidate."

Allen sold Digeo's key assets - including its brands and technology for its "Moxi" advanced set-top box systems - in September to Arris, a Suwanee, Ga.-based company that's a major player in the cable hardware business.

Arris paid $20 million for the assets. Allen had invested more than $110 million in Digeo since it was started in 1999.

Digeo had reorganized several times before Allen, his sister and others on the Digeo board decided last spring that it was time to sell or find a strategic partner for the company.

That was around the time Allen's biggest investment, St Louis-based cable company Charter Communications, filed for bankruptcy with $21.7 billion in debt.

Well, that now makes my decision easy. Guess Im going with a TiVo HD XL and a TiVo HD in my house to use with FiOS.

-Evangelo2
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Recorders
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Recorders › Moxi HD DVR