or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Recorders › Moxi HD DVR
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Moxi HD DVR - Page 205

post #6121 of 6199
Maybe I'll give one of those a shot....funny thing is ... When I took it apart I saw the issue I was having. Bought the new remote because something was rattling...turns out it was just the weight they put in there to add heft to the remote.
post #6122 of 6199

Power Supply Reference Voltages:

 

Black (x2)

Ground
Blue 2.92V
Orange 3.3V
Red 5V
Yellow (x2) 12V
post #6123 of 6199
I think it's funny people trying to get around $600 on ebay for their used Moxi.
post #6124 of 6199
I think it is amazing that anyone would ever part with a working Moxie.
post #6125 of 6199

I have a perfectly functioning Moxi HD that I apparently can't use because I have Dish Satellite and Moxi is no longer manufactured. It sucks because I love that box and I loved the interface.

 

Not sure what to do with it now.

post #6126 of 6199
Quote:
Originally Posted by metuckness View Post

I have a perfectly functioning Moxi HD that I apparently can't use because I have Dish Satellite and Moxi is no longer manufactured. It sucks because I love that box and I loved the interface.

Not sure what to do with it now.

1) It's a good bet it will not remain fully functional if you used it ..

2) When Charter abandoned MOXI, at that point I had gone thru 5 units over 3 years .. losing all content each time ..

3) Charter essentially said, do whatever with the last MOXI I had when they replaced it with a Moto ..

I sold it to a scrap dealer after gutting it for the drive .. along with a pile of other electronics that had stacked up over the years ..

I loved that Interface .. smile.gif
post #6127 of 6199

Why would you say it isn't fully functional because I used it? It's still in it's original box. I packed it back in when I moved and you don't have a clue how I treat my electronics. I didn't even know they had stopped selling them till I thought about how I missed the interface using this Hopper I have. It's the 3+ tuner HD model and worked fine when I last used it and packed it up. I used it on Comcast and Southwest Cable and it worked fine on both. When I moved here there is no cable, just satellite so it's been in it's box in the closet since then.

post #6128 of 6199
Is mgkdragn getting two different devices mixed up? The Charter-issued Moxi was notoriously unreliable but the retail Moxi was completely different hardware with the same name.
post #6129 of 6199
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

Is mgkdragn getting two different devices mixed up? The Charter-issued Moxi was notoriously unreliable but the retail Moxi was completely different hardware with the same name.


That would be my guess. I recall when Moxi first came out, I had one from Charter and I thought it was fantastic. Then I moved to Virginia and had a horrific Scientific Atlantic which was beyond horrible so I purchased the 3 Tuner (they actually can go up to six, but the cable cards are the limiting tuner factor or so said Moxi support) HD Retail model and I loved it. I hated putting it back into storage, but they never built support for Satellite service, just no market I guess.

 

If they did I would still be using it.

 

Though I will say, The Hopper isn't as bad as boxes I have had in the past.

post #6130 of 6199
Quote:
Originally Posted by giomania View Post

I watched Amazon Instant Video via PlayOn through the Moxi several months ago, so I am not sure what they added last night in the update?

Mark

This is a little off topic but when I first bought my Moxi about 2 years ago I can remember using PlayOn through Moxi & my TV. Did PlayOn come as a complimentary add on with Moxi? thx
post #6131 of 6199

Yes, Playon came with a lifetime subscription. But after the first year Playon changed their billing & licensing schema and while you had the basic version of it with the Moxi, you could get a lifetime discounted update for the new licensing they had for a small additional price.

post #6132 of 6199
Quote:
Originally Posted by metuckness View Post

Why would you say it isn't fully functional because I used it? It's still in it's original box. I packed it back in when I moved and you don't have a clue how I treat my electronics. I didn't even know they had stopped selling them till I thought about how I missed the interface using this Hopper I have. It's the 3+ tuner HD model and worked fine when I last used it and packed it up. I used it on Comcast and Southwest Cable and it worked fine on both. When I moved here there is no cable, just satellite so it's been in it's box in the closet since then.

My post had nothing to do with the current functionality of your MOXI ..

1) It's a good bet it will not remain fully functional if you used it ..

My personal experience was poor ..
post #6133 of 6199
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

Is mgkdragn getting two different devices mixed up? The Charter-issued Moxi was notoriously unreliable but the retail Moxi was completely different hardware with the same name.

Yes, and thanks for that .. I did not realize the retail MOXI differed from the Charter MOXI .. my mistake and my apology .. smile.gif
post #6134 of 6199
Quote:
Originally Posted by metuckness View Post

Yes, Playon came with a lifetime subscription. But after the first year Playon changed their billing & licensing schema and while you had the basic version of it with the Moxi, you could get a lifetime discounted update for the new licensing they had for a small additional price.

So does that mean I have a lifetime subscription to the basic version of PlayOn & if so can I still use the basic version? What I'm after is to get YouTube videos on my TV through Moxi which I think I used to be able to do? thx
post #6135 of 6199
Quote:
Originally Posted by domm View Post


So does that mean I have a lifetime subscription to the basic version of PlayOn & if so can I still use the basic version? What I'm after is to get YouTube videos on my TV through Moxi which I think I used to be able to do? thx


You'd you have to check. Did you register your copy with the code Moxi gave you when you purchased it? You had to create and account with Playon and then register with the code Moxi sent you. That registered you with Playon and set your copy. Then after that it was just a matter of downloading and setting up et cetera. I would assume you could still, but I haven't used Playon in a long time. Though i still have it installed on one of my PC's. I had purchased the additional lifetime update to the premier version so I still get updates et cetera.

post #6136 of 6199
From their web site:

What is the difference between PlayOn Premium, MyMedia, PlayOn Lite and PlayOn Basic?

PlayOn Premium is our current product offering. By buying a license, you will continually get access to the latest and greatest features and content in the PlayOn Premium product line. You can buy a PlayOn Premium license on our purchase page. As long as your license is active, you will always get free updates to the PlayOn Premium product.

MyMedia is a free product that we created to enable you to watch your own local media files from your PC on your TV or mobile device. Visit the MyMedia page for more information.

PlayOn Lite is no longer a supported product.

PlayOn Basic was available before PlayOn Premium made its debut on May 20, 2010. PlayOn Basic has no recurring subscription fees, but has a locked feature set and a static list of content providers (Hulu, Netflix, CBS, ESPN, MLB, CNN, Amazon Instant Video, YouTube, Pandora, MyMedia). We still offer free support to Basic users, but you won't get the latest and greatest features and channels unless you upgrade to the PlayOn Premium package. If you upgrade to PlayOn Premium, but change your mind later, you can still roll back to your original PlayOn Basic license. Simply visit the buy page to purchase PlayOn Premium.
post #6137 of 6199
I think that my internal drive is crapping out on me. I am getting pixelation & skipping in some recordings and others are completely fine. I guess that it is time to try and replace the drive since my Moxi is well out of warranty.
post #6138 of 6199
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyD View Post

I think that my internal drive is crapping out on me. I am getting pixelation & skipping in some recordings and others are completely fine. I guess that it is time to try and replace the drive since my Moxi is well out of warranty.

Did you win the OEM drive longevity stakes? How old is the unit?

Pixelation and skipping are only real indicators of symptoms if they happen on random channels otherwise it could just be the usual case of bad signal quality from specific networks.

Locking up the system during playback would be a definite sign of a bad sector on the drive.
post #6139 of 6199
Quote:
Originally Posted by metuckness View Post


You'd you have to check. Did you register your copy with the code Moxi gave you when you purchased it? You had to create and account with Playon and then register with the code Moxi sent you. That registered you with Playon and set your copy. Then after that it was just a matter of downloading and setting up et cetera. I would assume you could still, but I haven't used Playon in a long time. Though i still have it installed on one of my PC's. I had purchased the additional lifetime update to the premier version so I still get updates et cetera.

OK, so I emailed PlayOn support & they were very helpful. Support sent me a link to download PlayOn & installation instructions along with my username which I had forgotten. I followed everything & am now up & running but now I need to relearn how to get YouTube videos to play on my TV via PlayOn. I have followed the Moxi owners manual instructions but I can't seem to figure it out. I go to the Moxi menu on my TV & Media Link & push OK which opens up a large menu. I then scroll to YouTube & push OK to open the file. A new menu opens & in the "My YouTube" folder it says in the bottom right corner "7 Items". I then press the right arrow to see folder contents but there is nothing in the folder even though it says there were 7? Can anyone help me to see my YouTube favorites list on my TV using PlayOn. Thanks
post #6140 of 6199
does anyone have the moxi playon registration link?
post #6141 of 6199
Quote:
Originally Posted by dz2k View Post

does anyone have the moxi playon registration link?

I first downloaded the PlayOn program & while installing PlayOn I got to a registration page. Once on that page I entered my username which I think is "Moxi User" & then I entered the 32 digit key/code. gl
post #6142 of 6199
Woah how time flies!


Remember when we had our crises that Tech Support and Program Guide was going to end....

Moxi announced (in error) that it was going to ended both tech support and program guide

http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2012-02/arris-to-cease-retail-moxi-dvr-service/

Well.. that date has come and gone...

We are officially on borrowed time!
post #6143 of 6199
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyD View Post

I think that my internal drive is crapping out on me. I am getting pixelation & skipping in some recordings and others are completely fine. I guess that it is time to try and replace the drive since my Moxi is well out of warranty.

Did you win the OEM drive longevity stakes? How old is the unit?

Pixelation and skipping are only real indicators of symptoms if they happen on random channels otherwise it could just be the usual case of bad signal quality from specific networks.

Locking up the system during playback would be a definite sign of a bad sector on the drive.



I honestly don't remember how old the unit is, it's quite a few years. For most of the time I've had an external drive hooked up. Recently it started losing connection with my Moxi, so I replaced it. Shortly after that, the new external drive wouldn't stay connected or even be recognized. Would that have anything to do with the internal hard drive?

If I had to guess, I would say that it's about 4 to 5 years old, give or take.

The pixelation is on random recordings, random channels, no rhyme or reason. There are plenty of times that the system locks up & needs rebooting.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
post #6144 of 6199
Quote:
Originally Posted by akin47 View Post

I have tried other HDMI cables including the one that is working with my BlueRay. now having issue with component.... I am beginning to think I am having a issue with the software. 

please ensure you only have hdmi (ex. not composite nor component cables) connected to the moxi a time. I think it only outputs one signal at a time anyway.
post #6145 of 6199
TWC has embarked on a mission to make the channel lineups "similar" over their entire US coverage areas. E.g., the local broadcast channel for NBC will be on the same channel number regardless of what market you are in. Likewise for TNT, TBS, A&E, etc. It is a good idea I guess, but the transition may be bumpy for some of us Moxi users.

At midnight on March 6, 2014 my local Time Warner Cable channel lineup is going to change (totally and abruptly). TWC has advised it's local subscribers not to worry about their DVR shows that are setup to record the shows - as they will "fix that" automatically (maybe automagically) on the fly. smile.gif


I am quite certain though, that TWC is NOT going to automagically update my reliable Moxi. Today at lunchtime I checked the channel listings for the next week and so far there is no sign that the Moxi channel lineup has any clue of what is coming at midnight tonight. For sure I'll have to setup my recordings again. That is a given. What is not certain is whether the channel guide info downloaded to my Moxi tomorrow will reflect the channel guide changes. If so, I'll figure it out.

However, if the channel guide that I see on my Moxi stays out-of-sync with reality at TWC, I'll be unable to record ANYTHING until that is fixed. I am not looking forward to this possibility - although it is beginning to feel very eminent..

Was wondering if anyone out here has ridden through a similar total channel guide overhaul? If so, care to share any thoughts?

FWIW, I have removed all series recordings just so they won't be 'orphaned' without reference to a valid channel number.

Is there anything else I should do in preparation for this change? I do know that I can force a "channel lineup" download through the diagnostics menu. In fact, I did so at lunch - but it did not yet see the tsunami of changes on the horizon!

-Hawk
post #6146 of 6199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk521 View Post

TWC has embarked on a mission to make the channel lineups "similar" over their entire US coverage areas. E.g., the local broadcast channel for NBC will be on the same channel number regardless of what market you are in. Likewise for TNT, TBS, A&E, etc. It is a good idea I guess, but the transition may be bumpy for some of us Moxi users.

At midnight on March 6, 2014 my local Time Warner Cable channel lineup is going to change (totally and abruptly). TWC has advised it's local subscribers not to worry about their DVR shows that are setup to record the shows - as they will "fix that" automatically (maybe automagically) on the fly. smile.gif


I am quite certain though, that TWC is NOT going to automagically update my reliable Moxi. Today at lunchtime I checked the channel listings for the next week and so far there is no sign that the Moxi channel lineup has any clue of what is coming at midnight tonight. For sure I'll have to setup my recordings again. That is a given. What is not certain is whether the channel guide info downloaded to my Moxi tomorrow will reflect the channel guide changes. If so, I'll figure it out.

However, if the channel guide that I see on my Moxi stays out-of-sync with reality at TWC, I'll be unable to record ANYTHING until that is fixed. I am not looking forward to this possibility - although it is beginning to feel very eminent..

Was wondering if anyone out here has ridden through a similar total channel guide overhaul? If so, care to share any thoughts?

FWIW, I have removed all series recordings just so they won't be 'orphaned' without reference to a valid channel number.

Is there anything else I should do in preparation for this change? I do know that I can force a "channel lineup" download through the diagnostics menu. In fact, I did so at lunch - but it did not yet see the tsunami of changes on the horizon!

-Hawk

Assuming you have a cablecard, I'm optimistic that the transition will go smoothly with the Moxi. My cable provider hasn't completely overhauled the lineup, but has moved channels around and the Cablecard has always reassigned them appropriately. Recordings are assigned to the call sign and not the channel number so they should move without any effort on your part.
post #6147 of 6199
deleting scheduled recordings was a good thing. your guide should update by 4am im thinking.
post #6148 of 6199
TWC (and any other cable company) will update the line up automatically on THEIR DVRs.
However since Moxi is a third party device it is up to them not the cable company to update their guide.

Good luck but if your channels are off it is Moxi's fault not TWC. sorry. frown.gif
post #6149 of 6199
This wouldn't be the first time TWC have updated their guide. Previously they had the massive reassignment to put everything in the themed tiers a couple of years ago.

As far as I remember the CC updated itself and any guide data was adjusted soon after.
post #6150 of 6199
One thing not mentioned is that if you have channels turned off so that you only see what you want to in the guide, that may be a setting tied to channel number. I have had to make changes to this as Comcast makes minor moves of channels regularly.

Mark
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Recorders
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Recorders › Moxi HD DVR