or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Recorders › Moxi HD DVR
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Moxi HD DVR - Page 23

post #661 of 6199
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post

I definitely misunderstood. I did think the extra tuner depended on the Mate. I currently have a Mate connected via a Netgear Wireless-N access device but have never used it. For $799 the 3 tuner Moxi with Mate is a deal!

Glad we got that cleared up.
post #662 of 6199
I updated and reorganized the DVR comparison chart.

At the bottom of the table, I also added a section for screenshots, and need the shots for Moxi. By chance, does anyone have a Slingbox HD or a Hava HD connected to their Moxi to take some shots with their PC?
post #663 of 6199
Anybody know of its availability in Central Michigan.

Have pm Umatter2charter on this and some other questions, but get no response.
post #664 of 6199
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCT6416UIIIuser View Post

Anybody know of its availability in Central Michigan.

It's available everywhere as long as you have cable or FiOS. It's not tied to specific markets like the Arris cable-issued box. This is the thread for the retail consumer Moxi.
post #665 of 6199
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

I updated and reorganized the DVR comparison chart.

At the bottom of the table, I also added a section for screenshots, and need the shots for Moxi. By chance, does anyone have a Slingbox HD or a Hava HD connected to their Moxi to take some shots with their PC?

Did you ever consider a few columns depicting some common cable supplied DVRs?
post #666 of 6199
Im having a love/hate relationship with my Moxi. I like the interface.. its not especially intuitive but its not terrible either. It looks great tho.

I hate the SDV implementation. The first week I had the box, it was flawless. Someone said TWC did a firmware upgrade on the SDV adapters about 10 days ago and Ive had nothing but headaches since. It seems to lose my SDV channels constantly and the only way to get them back is to cold boot the Moxi and the SDV adapter.

Ive also been having issues with online scheduling... Im hoping that sorts itself out because at one point it worked fine. Now it keeps telling me it cant contact my device.
post #667 of 6199
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWiTCH View Post

I hate the SDV implementation. The first week I had the box, it was flawless. Someone said TWC did a firmware upgrade on the SDV adapters about 10 days ago and Ive had nothing but headaches since. It seems to lose my SDV channels constantly and the only way to get them back is to cold boot the Moxi and the SDV adapter.

Yup. Had to reboot today to cure the horrible Cisco box losing connection. It was an issue during the install too.

SDV is nothing but a problem reduced to three letters. It's a quick and lazy band-aid for poor cableco planning and investment.
post #668 of 6199
Okay. Is there any way to remove some of the options from the main menu?

I like to remove these cards that I do not use like Music Moxinet, Flickr, etc
post #669 of 6199
Quote:
Originally Posted by acaoacao View Post

Okay. Is there any way to remove some of the options from the main menu?

I like to remove these cards that I do not use like Music Moxinet, Flickr, etc

I'd like to hide those too, plus some of the programming filters, but I haven't seen or found a way. It would make it a lot faster to zip through the options.

Guess we have to wait for an official update option.
post #670 of 6199
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWiTCH View Post

Im having a love/hate relationship with my Moxi. I like the interface.. its not especially intuitive but its not terrible either. It looks great tho.

I hate the SDV implementation. The first week I had the box, it was flawless. Someone said TWC did a firmware upgrade on the SDV adapters about 10 days ago and Ive had nothing but headaches since. It seems to lose my SDV channels constantly and the only way to get them back is to cold boot the Moxi and the SDV adapter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

Yup. Had to reboot today to cure the horrible Cisco box losing connection. It was an issue during the install too.

SDV is nothing but a problem reduced to three letters. It's a quick and lazy band-aid for poor cableco planning and investment.

I just want to reiterate that these issues are not Moxi specific. The Moxi, TivoHD, and ATI CableCard PC tuners all exhibit similar problems with SDV in certain markets. In these service areas, the TAs periodically reset, and when that happens, you temporarily lose all channels. In other areas, users do not see these problems, so it is possible for SDV support to work reliably with the right TA firmware and head-end configuration.

Based on early reports, the Motorola SDV TAs (for Motorola head-ends) are much more stable/reliable.
post #671 of 6199
How many of you are running Harmonies with the Moxi? I have an 890 and have not set it up yet. Before I do I was just wondering how the Harmonies are working with the Moxie and if you guys have any tips or what not that would be beneficial, thanks!
post #672 of 6199
I have a Harmony remote and I've had no problems using it with the Moxi. It's been awhile since I've set it up, but I don't think I had to change any of the initial button assignments. Good luck!
post #673 of 6199
anyone "upgrade" from the 2 tuner model to the 3 tuner? Does the extra ram speed things up any? I am curious, because i dont need the mate now, maybe in the future, so i am looking at the 2 tuner, since my cabl co, has alot of sdv, and i will lose the 3rd tuner anyway.
post #674 of 6199
suzook11. I am not sure if anyone has gone via that path.

I think you have a good idea.. stick with a two tuner... you can get a moxi mate from ebay for about $200-$250 when you need it.
post #675 of 6199
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook11 View Post

anyone "upgrade" from the 2 tuner model to the 3 tuner? Does the extra ram speed things up any? I am curious, because i dont need the mate now, maybe in the future, so i am looking at the 2 tuner, since my cabl co, has alot of sdv, and i will lose the 3rd tuner anyway.

Problem is you can NOT get the 3 tuner box without paying for (and getting) the MoxiMate.
post #676 of 6199
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook11 View Post

anyone "upgrade" from the 2 tuner model to the 3 tuner? Does the extra ram speed things up any?

Yes, somewhat, although the difference may depend in part on what you are doing with the box.

With the Moxi platform, 128MB memory is devoted to the Linux kernel and Broadcom decoders. The rest of the memory is devoted to the software. Thus, the two-tuner Moxi has 128MB (of 256) memory for the software and the triple-tuner model has 384MB (of 512).

As noted above, you can't currently order the triple-tuner Moxi without the Mate.
post #677 of 6199
Is anyone having trouble scheduling online?

I am getting this message.

Device did not respond to request in a timely fashion
post #678 of 6199
Quote:
Originally Posted by acaoacao View Post

Is anyone having trouble scheduling online?

I am getting this message.

Device did not respond to request in a timely fashion

I just scheduled a recording online without any problems.
post #679 of 6199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside_Guy View Post

Problem is you can NOT get the 3 tuner box without paying for (and getting) the MoxiMate.

i know, this is pretty stupid if you ask me. I guess its a way for them to get rid of the 2tuner models. I currently have a tivo series3. I really like the look of the UI on the moxi, and i would be able to get an m card from my local cable co. The s cards they use have a high failure rate.
post #680 of 6199
My Moxi 3-tuner with mate arrived today. The CableCard was no problem at all -- I picked it up a few days ago at my local Comcast office, where they had plenty and knew what a multistream card was and everything. Plugged it in and it pretty much all just worked.

Only real annoyance is the default "keep for 2 days" setting for all new recordings and series. I'm told there's no way to change the default and you just have to change it for every recording. sigh.

Unfortunately the Mate isn't working yet -- it keeps starting up, saying it's downloading a critical update, restarting, and then downloading the critical update again. Done this like ten times now. Anybody seen this or know what to try?
post #681 of 6199
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcvh View Post

Only real annoyance is the default "keep for 2 days" setting for all new recordings and series. I'm told there's no way to change the default and you just have to change it for every recording. sigh.

Although that is the default setting, I have never had a recording automatically deleted. I believe it will keep it a minimum of 2 days then only delete it if you run out of hard drive space.
post #682 of 6199
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcvh View Post

Only real annoyance is the default "keep for 2 days" setting for all new recordings and series. I'm told there's no way to change the default and you just have to change it for every recording. sigh.

I believe this is one of the changes being made in the "fall" update when they eventually get around to releasing it.
post #683 of 6199
Ah... so "keep for 2 days" doesn't mean "get rid of it after 2 days" but "stop protecting it from being deleted when space is needed after 2 days." I guess that explains the triangle-exclamation points that warn the show isn't protected. The language in the UI (and the docs) isn't very clear about that.

Still working on the Mate issue but overall I'm thrilled so far. My GF is already asking when we can get rid of the Comcast box.
post #684 of 6199
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcvh View Post

Ah... so "keep for 2 days" doesn't mean "get rid of it after 2 days" but "stop protecting it from being deleted when space is needed after 2 days." I guess that explains the triangle-exclamation points that warn the show isn't protected. The language in the UI (and the docs) isn't very clear about that.

Right. The terminology is different, but Moxi's "keep for 2 days" option is virtually identical to the default behavior on a TiVo. By default, TiVo protects every recording for 48 hours, and then only deletes it when (a) it is the oldest recording on the DVR, and (b) space is needed for a future recording.

The Moxi "Fall update" coming in January will add the ability to change the default settings for new series recordings, should you desire to do that.
post #685 of 6199
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

The Moxi "Fall update" coming in January will add the ability to change the default settings for new series recordings, should you desire to do that.

Glad to hear that, this is one thing that is killing me as I set up all of our season passes. I hate having to go back in to each one to change to what I would want as default settings..
post #686 of 6199
I had my CC installed yesterday and everything went fine. So far I have only had to reboot the system once and that was before CC install. I hit the NEXT button while watching a live tv show and it froze the picture. I was still able to pull up my menus and attempt to change stations but it did nothing. Rebooted & everything seems fine now.

Overall for what little time I have played with the unit I am happy. There are a few things I am still trying to see what works best. For example, what is the best way to EXIT out of the menu or guide. I think the ZOOM button works the best but am still playing around.

I love the interface especially how it separates shows into categories. That is a really nice feature. I love how responsive the unit is especially in comparison to the HR20.

I have my Mate hooked up in the basement and have not really used it because of minimal recordings. The only problem I had with hooking up the unit is that the composite cable did not work. It worked fine when I hooked up component cable. The problem with this is that I only have 1 component cable input on my tv and this is where my 360 was hooked up. I emailed them and the responded that I needed to go in to the settings and set it for 480i. When I checked that prior to contacting them everything was set properly. Oh well, I will work around it, especially since the 360 is now down there for the kids. I bought the COD-MW2 LE for the livingroom.

I hooked up my external hard drive yesterday and it formatted it very quickly. Here is looking to fill the 2 TB of space that I have now. I set a ton of Christmas recordings since it is that time of year and the kids will love them.

I love the 3 tuner feature, it is really great to be able to record 3 shows at the same time.

So overall I am very happy with the purchase and would recommend it to anyone.
post #687 of 6199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside_Guy View Post

Problem is you can NOT get the 3 tuner box without paying for (and getting) the MoxiMate.

No longer seems to be true. Check the major internet seller.
post #688 of 6199
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericlhyman View Post

No longer seems to be true. Check the major internet seller.

UUHH, not seeing the 3 tuner by itself. Care to share a link? Thanks
post #689 of 6199
I think the one at Amazon is a two tuner model
post #690 of 6199
Quote:
Originally Posted by acaoacao View Post

I think the one at Amazon is a two tuner model.com

It is
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Recorders
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Recorders › Moxi HD DVR